2685 grafts FUE - Dr. John Diep on Nov 2 2017

kaledale1

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum. I have posted on other websites before when I first started losing my hair around age 22. I am now 27 and after long time considering getting an HT I finally took the plunge. I have been on minox and fin for the last five years and have recently added Dut as of 6 months ago.

after looking around for surgeons I came across Dr. John Diep. I've seen his work and felt like he was the best choice especially since he specializes in FUE (I didn't want the strip method). I booked the procedure appointment back in May 2017 and it was set to happen November 2 2017

I had to book a cheap hotel room for two nights (night before, and night of procedure) so that I can get to the clinic at the 5:30am which they said would be the start of my procedure. As I got there at 5:30am they told me my appointment wasn't until 7:30 so I went back to my hotel and waited. Not sure what the mix up was but it wasn't too big of a deal, I just wanted to get started and get the day over with. Once I was done filling out the applications I was called into change clothes and talk to Dr. Diep. He drew over where my hairline should be and we agreed on where he would be filling in my hair line. He told me I was a NW4 on the scale. I was hoping he would be able to fill in my crown area as well which was thinning badly and he said if we had extra grafts he would do that. Unfortunately he was not able to touch the back and only filled the front with 2685 grafts (he was able to pull 185 extra grafts). Until then I can always put hair fibers to fill it in. As Dr. Diep said "The front is where the money is".

after talking to him he gave me a concoction of meds and we went into the surgery room. They gave me a remote to watch netflix as they started prepping for extraction from the donor area. Before I knew it I was awoken to the telling me it was lunch time. Yep, I slept through the whole thing. I barely remember them shaving my whole head and only have a little memory of them injecting the antiseptic to numb my head. I ate a sandwhich and then fell back asleep. There were instances in which I woke up and heard the techs working on my head but I was in and out of it. Pretty much slept through the whole process and before I knew it there was one of the techs waking me up telling me about my take home baggy with all my stuff..at this point I was still kind of out of it but I was happy to hear that the whole thing was finishing up and I wasn't awake for any of it. The only pain I felt was during the injections. Other than that I don't remember any pain during extraction nor implantation.

The whole process was from 7:30am- 5pm

After the process was done, I was let go with a baggy full of drugs, shampoo, and post op care instructions.

The staff and doctor were nice and the whole process went smoothly, even though I was asleep the whole time

That night I slept at a 45 degree angle with pillows propping me up.

The following picture were taken before so you can see where I was before the procedure:

preop.jpeg.4709fde7e5dbb8eea4247233d5958879.jpeg

Edited by kaledale1

Here are the pictures immediately post op

The second day I went back to get my hair washed by one of the nurses and ask any further questions.

I will update with Day 2 in the next post.

nov2.JPG.7444e2b14f87bd5fc1d9b0ffbe05da84.JPG

nov2front.JPG.6fd6364c1599a6de477e39dc52c656e4.JPG

nov2_top.JPG.0c02327ef9b583bea088f5e12b144b6c.JPG

Edited by kaledale1

Day 2:

Today I am back home, I have taken 11 days off of work and am now currently caring for my hair. The first three days I am suppose to not touch the recipient area and only wash the donor area once a day with dabbing the special shampoo they gave me and then applying the special ointment they gave me. also gave me antibiotics which I take 3 times a day until finished, and some pain meds

Currently my head is kind of numb but no real pain. The sides of my head was swollen yesterday but it seems to have subsided. My brow is now sore and swollen. I'm hoping this will be the extent of the swelling but I know not to expect that seeing other peoples process. Rite now i am trying to make sure not to touch the recipient area until day 4 and taking care of my donor area. I am hoping and hoping by the time I return to work with a hat that nothing will look different besides a shaved head

Here are pictures taken today:

I will keep this updated.

nov4_back2.JPG.c9d8576acf485cfa880832928acdb7b3.JPG

nov4_front.JPG.f73838deebda00e2597b2ecc0e67adeb.JPG

Edited by kaledale1

Thanks for sharing Kaledale1. I'm anxious to see your results. 730 to 5 doesn't seem bad for the amount of grafts you had placed. May I ask you a few questions?

1) Did the Dr. John Diep use any type of robot assistance during the procedure or was the procedure done manually?

2) In regards to post op care how long did they recommend you be off work and avoid any strenuous activity?

3) Will you be allowed to wear a head covering after the initial few days to conceal any redness, swelling, etc. until it subsides or will that cause issues with the grafts taking in the recipient area?

Hi and thanks for the questions.

1) Did the Dr. John Diep use any type of robot assistance during the procedure or was the procedure done manually?

No robot assistance, it was all Dr. Diep and his techs.

2) In regards to post op care how long did they recommend you be off work and avoid any strenuous activity?

For the FUE, the recommended 2 weeks off. I took 11 days off of work, though at work I do not lift anything heavy anyways. I am more just worried if co-workers will notice any scaring around the hat area.

3) Will you be allowed to wear a head covering after the initial few days to conceal any redness, swelling, etc. until it subsides or will that cause issues with the grafts taking in the recipient area?

They told me I am allowed to wear a hat once I go back into work as long as it's not to tight and also to take it off everynow and then to let the area breath. I didn't ask them specifically but I've heard it takes 7-10 days for the grafts to take in the recipient area so by then I'm hoping the grafts will be settled.

Wow, for all manual work the time of completion is impressive. Thank you so much for you follow-up and the information. I would add you as a friend, but it seems I don't have permission to yet and I haven't figured out how to get it. I will be following your progress closely and I'm excited to see your progress. Thanks again for the information.

Wow, for all manual work the time of completion is impressive. Thank you so much for you follow-up and the information. I would add you as a friend, but it seems I don't have permission to yet and I haven't figured out how to get it. I will be following your progress closely and I'm excited to see your progress. Thanks again for the information.

Pretty sure he uses motorized punch if thats what ur asking.

Good luck! I’m 3 months post op with Diep and can’t wait to start growing.

I really liked being knocked out for the entire procedure, seems like most doctors keep their patients fully awake.

Thx and good luck to you too. Can I ask some questions?

Did you get FUE or FUT?

How many grafts?

What were you on the norwood scale pre-op?

and how are you doing at 3 months? Do you have a progress thread anywhere I can look through?

thx

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to send private messages and add people to my friends list?

I tried sending you a pm but nothing happens and also tried adding you as friend but says I do not have permission. If you find out let me know as well and thx

Day 3 Update

The sides of my face swelling have gone down a bit but now the swelling is occurring on my brow and down to the bridge of my nose and my eyes. I've been massaging the area every hour or so, hoping the swelling will go away in the next few days. As for my head, I washed the donor area and shampooed it with the special shampoo they gave once and have been putting the ointment on the donor area . I have also been taking my antibiotics and swelling medication.

Tomorrow is day 4 and will be the first time I get to wash/touch the recipient area. Rite now I'm still just being patient. Sleeping as upright as I can and making sure to take care of my head. Will post pics below that I just took:

If there is anyone who has done this procedure before, please let me know what you think or any advice so far and thnx

Will update again tomorrow.

nov5_day3_3.JPG.db52714d051ac6ec931a679c873bfb0e.JPG

nov5_day3_1.thumb.jpg.7a61a82590ef4bf095f01387208008c7.jpg

nov5_day3_2.thumb.jpg.c77b5d8d49aaf1f8ad4262e046034d23.jpg

Edited by kaledale1

Kaledale1,

Do you know what size punch was used for extraction in your donor zone?

not sure what punch size was used. I never thought to ask but Can i ask why that's important?

Edited by kaledale1

He says he uses .8 to 1mm. On me he used a 1mn and seems like most of his clients get the 1mm from reviews I read

Hi BlessUp, I didn't realize you had a procedure done with Dr. Diep i am new to the forum. Do you have a thread in which you have your results? How did it go?

Im gonna make one soon im 1month post op. Im not happy btw to start off, but that doesn't mean you wont be. In my post history I put why it started off Rocky in another thread unfortunately I just have to give it time and hope for the best. My benchmarks are 3 months and 6 months to hope for my #1 issue to clear up but I have other concerns also

Hopefully we both have great results in the hairline and donor areas like some of his other clients here tho

In gonna make one soon im 1month post op. Im not happy btw to start off, but that doesn't mean you wont be. In my post history I put why it started off Rocky in another thread unfortunately I just have to give it time and hope for the best. My benchmarks are 3 months and 6 months to hope for my #1 issue to clear up but I have other concerns also

I'm reading through your posts now. It seems you had your procedure done one month ago. I too have that "golf ball" texture going on, but I'm assuming it was just part of the healing process and will clear up soon? Do you still have that texture on your donor site up till now a month later?

It's harder to tell because hair growth by now but I believe I do. I got alot of shock loss or potentially over harvesting in donor area and also looks like in recipient area now. I will be posting pictures when i make my thread to give a visual of my case. I usually keep my hair grade 1 on sides and am sweating this gets better and I'll get to wear my hair like I like and not the 4 grade it is now.

I went to different doctor for 2nd opinion about my issues and texture was one of them but I have to check with my gf as she was their also to make sure what he said is correct. Dont want to misspoke from my memory

Bless Up.Thx for replying. I’m not sure how many grafts you got I had 2685. Would you say that the way he harvested them from the donor area is similar to the way he did yours? I know you said he only did one side of your head not 50/50, but concerning how low he got to my nape and closeness to my ears? I want to be sure I can cover the scaring up after

Edited by kaledale1

I got 2895 so were close.

We are similar as all his patients have that distinct diep donor look to them. He went low on me also but a hat will cover it and in few weeks your hair lenght will help conceal it better with the hat. I wear a hat everywhere I go unfornatuley and will have to for the foreseeable future. Not comfortable without one in public

Just give it time and don't sweat it unless you feel like something is abnormal

I got 2895 so were close.

We are similar as all his patients have that distinct diep donor look to them. He went low on me also but a hat will cover it and in few weeks your hair lenght will help conceal it better with the hat. I wear a hat everywhere I go unfornatuley and will have to for the foreseeable future. Not comfortable without one in public

Just give it time and don't sweat it unless you feel like something is abnormal

Thx for the reassurance. Will be waiting to see your 1 month update and progress.

Edited by kaledale1

Day 4 Update

Today was the first wash of recipient site. I followed the instructions and let the water soak the area a bit and then applied some of the special shampoo they gave me and let the suds run over the recipient area. I very gently patted the area for about a minute or two. Some of the crusts and scabs are gone but not all. I won't be trying too hard to get all of them off at once as I don't want to disturb the grafts. Hitting day 4 felt like a small milestone as I was able to finally tend to the transplanted area a little. From here on out I will be washing the recipient site once daily following the same routine, up until two weeks in which I can start washing and shampooing normally.

The donor site I did as normal. Water, then special shampoo then apply the ointment. I also am still taking the antibiotics as well as took my last swelling medication.

As for facial swelling, the swelling has gone down around my brow and the bridge of my nose and most of the swelling is a bit just under my eyes now. I'm hoping by tomorrow or the day after it will have all subsided.

The following pictures were taken just now after my wash and applying the ointment. The recipient area has white bumps which is suppose to be normal after washing the site and the will go away once the area is dry. I am air drying the recipient area and lightly dabbing the donor area after washes.

if any questions let me know thx

nov6_day_4_Top.thumb.jpg.60e755b16f535adea75b2fe46351f9eb.jpg

nov6_Day4_back.thumb.jpg.f5313a124ca128c1914b42750898b2ca.jpg

Edited by kaledale1

What you guys are brining up is exactly why I asked about punch size. I've heard that if the punch size is too large or areas are over-harvested then it can damage the donor zone for future procedures and cause scarring that is more noticeable than it should be. Using the FUE technique is supposed to limit scarring and ultimately speed up the healing process if I'm not mistaken, but if not done correctly it can have the opposite effects.