Please somebody help :( recently noticed bad thinning

So around 5 years ago I noticed a blatant recession.. fair enough it happens and although I was only 23 it didn't really bug me to much but now Ive just turned 28 and it's got substancualy worse with thinning retreating higher up my head on both sides but more so on my right?! (Bizarre)

I had an episode of extreme anxiety around a year or two back which lasted for a week or two followed by a reoccurring infection later that year (so many anti biotics yuck!) both of course stressed my body fairly bad and I have rececenty been shedding a great deal more and my normal mature recedding hairline seems to have decided to head more north then with the general pattern it should have...

I have never tried any pills (fin) or minox etc and have not spoken to a doctor or any professionals about what my options are now...

Obviously this is upsetting to me but I am willing to consider anything to retain what I have left :(

Any information would be much appreciated guys!

I would say I am Norwood 2 currently?

IMG_9893.thumb.JPG.c3ea33db7845b30695b1344d8829a51a.JPG

Hi Josh,

From your pic I can see a lot of miniaturizing hairs in your temple regions.

It is possible that the use of Finasteride will help reverse this process giving you something back. It depends on whether you want to commit to long term usage knowing the risks which are well documented on this site.

Many patients see positive results as early as 6 weeks, in others it can take 3-4 months.

Your other option is to have a small procedure of approximately 2000 grafts to fill the temple areas.

Thank you for the reply shera - so to give a little bit more of an idea as to what I'm doing to combat this...

I have changed my diet to a paeolo so no sugars grains etc plus I go for a half hour jog everyday to get the blood flowing

I am taking biotin 5,000 x 2 daily so morning and evening

I am also taking pumpkin seed oil 10,000 x 2 daily again morning and evening

I massage my temple areas 3/4 times a day and I am using peppermint oil, coconut, olive and rosemary for the evening massage followed with rapping my head overnight in a bag to keep the blood flowing around these areas.

I do no smoke or drink and I am happy to totally give this us for life anyway so I guess I have a few questions for you -

1) would the adjustments I have made to my lifestyle as described above help with new or miniaturised hairs growth to the point where I would no need fin or a HT?

2) is I decided to go down the HT route would it be unreasonable to assume I would need another bigger graft in later life?

3) My hair is fairly curly... now this is a godsend because it creates the illusion I have a thicker head of hair as I wear my hair forward covering my forehead... I assume going down the HT route would be difficult because as I have read I would not be as suitable as donor?

Thank you for the advise and your reply!

Thank you for the reply shera - so to give a little bit more of an idea as to what I'm doing to combat this...

I have changed my diet to a paeolo so no sugars grains etc plus I go for a half hour jog everyday to get the blood flowing

I am taking biotin 5,000 x 2 daily so morning and evening

I am also taking pumpkin seed oil 10,000 x 2 daily again morning and evening

I massage my temple areas 3/4 times a day and I am using peppermint oil, coconut, olive and rosemary for the evening massage followed with rapping my head overnight in a bag to keep the blood flowing around these areas.

I do no smoke or drink and I am happy to totally give this us for life anyway so I guess I have a few questions for you -

1) would the adjustments I have made to my lifestyle as described above help with new or miniaturised hairs growth to the point where I would no need fin or a HT?

2) is I decided to go down the HT route would it be unreasonable to assume I would need another bigger graft in later life?

3) My hair is fairly curly... now this is a godsend because it creates the illusion I have a thicker head of hair as I wear my hair forward covering my forehead... I assume going down the HT route would be difficult because as I have read I would not be as suitable as donor?

Thank you for the advise and your reply!

1. No, you will still need fin and a ht, it may make a small difference but nothing that'll dramatically change where you're at today or will go going forward. For your health they are great steps however.

2. You may not need another huge surgery but hair loss is progressive and very few patients end up only needing one over the course of a lifetime and given that you are only 28, the odds are you would need a touch up somewhere down the road and potentially more than one. Fin will slow down loss and hold off the necessity of a 2nd for as long as possible but once you're down transplant road you're committed to the likelihood of further procedures. Know that going in, if that's not something you want, shave it off now or learn to be comfortable with what you have.

3. Curlier hair can be transplanted, certain hair types, african hair for example tends to be more difficult to work with but even that can be transplanted by an experienced doctor. Choose a good doc and ask them for examples of clients they've had with curly hair and how comfortable they are with working with your hair, and you should be fine. Doc selection is of key importance.

Edited by mikeyhwk

Thank you for the response Mikey -

I guess a few follow up questions for you if you don't mind mikey?

1) what's the situation with fin? Is it doctor prescribed? Should I see one before starting on that path?

2) would it be wise to bypas the fin and head to HT route? Or maybe start the fin wait a few months then see how the shedding / growth works from there and plan/save for a HT - I understand this is more my for me only to decide but is there any major benefits to only using fin?

3)thank you for all your help! And any recommendations for surgeons?! Haha :)

Thank you for the response Mikey -

I guess a few follow up questions for you if you don't mind mikey?

1) what's the situation with fin? Is it doctor prescribed? Should I see one before starting on that path?

2) would it be wise to bypas the fin and head to HT route? Or maybe start the fin wait a few months then see how the shedding / growth works from there and plan/save for a HT - I understand this is more my for me only to decide but is there any major benefits to only using fin?

3)thank you for all your help! And any recommendations for surgeons?! Haha :)

Looks like Mikey answered your questions perfectly.

Here in the UK, Fin is prescribed by your doctor. He/she may be reluctant to offer you a prescription unless you make a strong case for how your hairloss is affecting your life. I have seen mentioned on this site recently that you can get a prescription online too through the Boots website. Most of the guys I know use generic Finasteride which can be obtained at a fraction of the price of the named brand.

Most clinics will advise you to try the Fin first. As previously mention Fin use could recover the miniaturising hairs you have now to a state where a hair transplant will no longer be required for the time being. If you go down the path of HT surgery then Fin use will help prepare your native hair against possible shock loss. Its probably best to give it about 5-6 months to see the full effect of Fin usage.

As for recommendations for surgeons use the "Find a surgeon" link directly above.

You could contact me direct if you wish to consider my surgeon or contact recent patients of his here in the UK.