2,614 Grafts with Dr Bloxham at Feller & Bloxham, Oct 2017

Midwesterner

Hi everyone,

After a long time of putting it off, I finally had a hair transplant done! I did a lot of research and went on consultations with local doctors, and decided to actually travel to New York to have surgery with Dr Bloxham at Feller and Bloxham.

I had the actual surgery on October 30th, 2017. I was a little nervous, but the day went great. Dr Bloxham really explained everything as the surgery went along and this helped a lot. It is a long day, but a pretty relaxing one. Pain free too except for the little "pinches" (as Dr Bloxham calls them) with the numbing injections in the morning.

We ended up using 2,614 grafts to create a new hairline and fill the area behind it up to the middle of my scalp. This is something that bothered me for years and it feels so good to finally do something about it!

I told Dr Feller and Dr Bloxham I wanted to do some sort of online journal to track my progress and they recommended this site. I am going to share pictures and try to update my progress every week.

If anyone has questions you can ask me here. I had a great experience with the clinic so far and actually really enjoyed my time in New York (I'm going home in a few days but I felt good enough to actually see some things).

Dr Bloxham gave me some pictures from the surgery day, so I will upload those in the next post.

-Midwesterner

Here are some pictures from the surgery day.

These were taken before the surgery actually started (hope to never see this again!)

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

Here is a picture of the holes before the grafts were placed in

IMG_4654.jpg

This how I looked right when the surgery was done. You can see another area in the middle where Dr Bloxham worked later in the day.

IMG_4681.jpg

The final product! My forehead is already a little swollen here, but I didn't end up getting bad swelling. Just a little bit in the forehead that is going away now.

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture from day 4

512255476.jpg

Today was the first time I cleaned it with my fingers instead of just using a cup with shampoo. I sent the picture to the doctor earlier and he said I can scrub harder. When did other people start washing harder?

I also had a change of plans today. I have the opportunity to go straight from new york to visit some family in a very sunny state. I think this is going to be great but I am worried about the sun this soon after surgery. Dr Bloxham explained what to do with the hat, but I'm wondering if anyone else went out in the sun this soon after. If so, what kind of hats did you wear?

Thanks David. I am going to try and update every week.

Hi Mick. I am glad to hear you think the surgery looked clean. I thought so too! Thanks for reading my story.

I want to update about the sun after surgery and hats. I did some research and almost everyone said to really block out the sun for at least 3 months after surgery. I have become somewhat of a hat expert since my hair started thinning and always liked fedoras. But most of the ones I like let too much sun in and the doctor did not think it would work. But I found a really cool one where it looks like a straw fedora on the outside but the inside has a lined compartment like a baseball hat. So it looks like a fedora but it blocks out the sun like a baseball hat.

I have worn it for a few days now and it is working nicely. I thought readers may find it useful or helpful.

6859864.jpg

2 week update.

Just hit the 2 week point. Back home now and the staples were taken out yesterday. The doctor who took them out said everything looked great and complimented Dr Bloxham's work. Nice to hear that!

Here are a few pictures at 2 weeks and a picture after the staples were taken out. I think it looks pretty normal (Dr Bloxham said it does too). Look good to everyone?

5110.jpg

5111.jpg

6754399.jpg

Thanks David. I am going to try and update every week.

Hi Mick. I am glad to hear you think the surgery looked clean. I thought so too! Thanks for reading my story.

I want to update about the sun after surgery and hats. I did some research and almost everyone said to really block out the sun for at least 3 months after surgery. I have become somewhat of a hat expert since my hair started thinning and always liked fedoras. But most of the ones I like let too much sun in and the doctor did not think it would work. But I found a really cool one where it looks like a straw fedora on the outside but the inside has a lined compartment like a baseball hat. So it looks like a fedora but it blocks out the sun like a baseball hat.

I have worn it for a few days now and it is working nicely. I thought readers may find it useful or helpful.

6859864.jpg

No need for weekly updates, friend. Progress will be too subtle to appreciate, monthly is fine.

You'll drive yourself crazy scrutinizing it too much, just sit back and relax, now is the waiting game.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

No need for weekly updates, friend. Progress will be too subtle to appreciate, monthly is fine.

You'll drive yourself crazy scrutinizing it too much, just sit back and relax, now is the waiting game.

Hi there Speegs. You are probably right! There is so much waiting with this, but I know it will be worth it. I just started too so I might switch to less updates. I do want to keep this updated though because it is pretty much serving as my procedure journal!

Thank you for commenting. It looks like you are very happy with your surgeries. I hope to be there too soon!

Looks good mate. Question why you waited so long to get a transplant? You've obviously been suffering from hair loss for years (decades?:D) , usually people take action in their 20s-30s

Hi Spring. Now that it is done, I really can't even say why I waited! There was always life stuff in the way, but no good excuse. I am sure a lot of guys wish they had done it sooner after it is all done. Thanks for reading.

3 week update.

The grafts are shedding out. Even though you know this is going to happen I think we all still hope to be the one in a million guy who does not get the shedding. The redness is going away pretty well too. The doctor said I have very fair skin and so it might be there for a while, but it seems better. Still going to wear a hat at thanksgiving. Hahaa.

5143970.jpg

1 month update

Still shedding, but more grafts than I thought would stay for now. The pink skin is improving and I'm pretty much going without a hat now. One person asked if I had a sun burn. No one else has said anything! I included a picture of the scar. It seems to be healing really well. Still pink, but hard to find even now. Can't believe it has been a month already!

955133.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my week 5 and week 6 updates. The week 5 pretty much looked the same as the rest. There was still pink coloring of the skin and my original hair had not grown back yet. Very happy to say that things are improving for week 6. The pink color has really faded (it looks worse in the picture than real life) and my original hairs are starting to grow back. I think I am out of the ugly duckling phase Speegs talked about. Ha ha.

Week 5 is first and week 6 below it

51479578.jpg

955177.jpg

Week 7 updates....

The pink coloring has really faded away. The pictures make it look more red, but you really can't see in real life. This was one of my big concerns before surgery because Dr Bloxham told me I would probably have some lasting pink coloring with my skin. My original hair is growing back verrryy slowly. I saw more during week 6 than this past week. It is coming back though! All the grafts have fallen out too. I think I am on track and the doctor agrees too. I am going to wear a hat again for Christmas gatherings. I will update after the holidays. Hope everybody has a good one!

Here's a recent pic

95511995.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Week 10.

Had a nice holiday break and decided to hold off updating my log for a while. I think I am on track. All the transplanted hairs have fallen out and the pink coloring has faded. My original hairs are also coming back nicely now too. More waiting now!

Here is a picture

955682.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Growth!?!!

This picture was taken week 13 and I think it shows new growth. I believe I can see the new hairline coming in. My old hairline was never this visible before. I am hopefully out of the ugly duckling phase and should look better from here. But the pink color has faded away and my original hair is all growing back now so I am happy either way. Very excited!

955728561.jpg