Dr Kaan Pekiner - 1655 Grafts - Manual FUE - Dense Packing - Repair

Tokoloshe

Background:

In 2015 I had surgery to correct Craniosynostosis (a craniofacial deformity) which was successful, but it did leave a large scar across my hairline. So I wanted a hair transplant to cover this up as well as lower the hairline to camouflage the oddly shaped skull.

My First Transplant:

I had my first transplant in 2016 with one of the big Belgian clinics. 2400 grafts - manual FUE.

The results were just OK, but I still had a few issues to address.

• - The density of my right temple was quite weak and the design was very different from the left side (the implantations were done by 3 different technicians, one of whom was clearly rushing).
  • - The new hairline was asymmetrical. The right side was noticably higher.
  • - My first transplant was a no-shave procedure, so there were no grafts put behind the hairline, as a result this area was quite thin.

2nd Transplant

For my 2nd transplant, after having done a lot of research on here, foreign language forums & Pubmed, I was looking for a clinic where:

• - All extractions and implantations are performed by the doctor
  • - No mega sessions. (My last procedure took 11.5 hours in one day, performed by 3 technicians & 1 doctor. Exhausting!)
  • - I've read a few studies which say that grafts are more likely to fail when they spend more time outside of the body. So I wanted a clinic where the work was done in small batches of 300-500 grafts.
  • - The doctor must only work on one patient per day.
  • - The doctor must use the 'stick & place' implantation technique. From what I've seen, this creates less scabbing than the standard implantation method. Also, it allows for more density. It is more labor-intensive though.

I found only a few clinics in Europe who work like this, and I noticed that one of the top doctors from these clinics (Dr Kaan, who previously worked with both Dr Keser and the Hairline Clinic) has recently opened his own independent clinic.

I'd seen a lot of top-class dense-packing hairline results from this doctor before on a German hair forum, so I emailed his clinic in mid-September and booked surgery for early October.

Plus his price was quite a bit more affordable than the other clinics who use this protocol. :D:D

I've attached my before photos below

Front.thumb.jpg.50054a095e499254fd89b8db9fda2d1d.jpg

Hairline.jpg.9d182a284564e61b148381231ac82064.jpg

5b32f6aedfc41_Left.thumb.jpg.d4e1d457c3eec1928d0cbf1a461f3d02.jpg

Right.thumb.jpg.0a2040ee0d6fa98bc68ffc8138d8c7ed.jpg

Day Before Surgery

As soon as I landed at the airport around midnight, Dr Kaan phoned and told me where to go to meet the driver.

I stayed near the clinic at the ridiculously-cheap but pretty good 'Golden Boutique Hotel', in Cankaya. Cankaya is a posh part of Ankara with some nice parks & cafes.

There's also a good health food supermarket nearby named 'macrocenter'.

I stocked up on lots of snacks, fruit & ready meals here so I wouldn't have to go out with my bandages on tomorrow.

The driver Ugur picked me up at 8.15am and took me to the clinic.

Right away we started the hairline planning.

The Surgery

Planning

Dr Kaan and I discussed this for over 40 minutes, drawing on different hairline options, erasing them, looking from every angle, taking photos, tweaking the design. He takes a very detailed, careful approach to the design stage.

We decided on slightly reducing the asymmetry, and creating a masculine point in the middle of the hairline.

Day 1

Then the operation started with 400 extractions - a 10 minute break - then 400 implantations - then a great vegan lunch made by the clinic's cook - then 400 extractions - another minute break - then 400 implantations. All done manually with a small FUE punch.

The 5 minutes of initial local anesthesia injections are not fun, but once they are done you don't feel anything. I think I fell asleep 3 times.

Dr Kaan walked me back to the hotel with my bandana on, looking a big strange but I felt good. No pain or swelling.

Day 2

The next day, I walked (5 minutes from the hotel) to the clinic and the op continued with 500 grafts, lunch, then 300 grafts. It was all over by 3pm.

I flew home to the UK the next morning.

For my first transplant I was apprehensive about awkward stares from strangers in the airport.

But since this was my second time, I didn't care. I just gave them a big grin back:p

Review

All in, it's been a good experience so far. It was nice to have the full attention of the clinic staff, rather than being one of several patients in a day at one of the big clinics.

I was their first patient from the UK (most patients are Germans & Italians), and as a result their website & marketing isn't well translated into English.

But the doctor speaks good English, so communication was easy.

Below I've attached some photos from during lunch on day 2, with 3/4 of the transplant finished.

5b32f6af20f95_During-Left.thumb.jpg.cfc80faa9c153c31eb1a6dab1b6b90b4.jpg

5b32f6af47dc9_During-Right.thumb.jpg.ce8ce0ba3aafb617735389708e9d13c9.jpg

5b32f6af6066d_Top-Right.jpg.2cd7bac8ae4b71ec8166581a6ca75869.jpg

Post-op photos

Note: I decided to keep a little bit of the hairline assymetry.

2 reasons: I didn't want to waste grafts on more lowering. I don't keep my hair short, so at my standard length this is not noticeable.

Front.jpg.005d73c729aa8a5086e2a7863725462d.jpg

Left.jpg.1406c46fdb013f1cc493721df5c606f9.jpg

Right.jpg.edf4e863a3435d12591969717279f6a1.jpg

Top.jpg.1cbee869fa97ce7c8527decb8d680d18.jpg

Never heard of this doctor but the work looks fantastic. Hairline design and placement overall reminds me of Keser very much.

Is Dr Kaan Pekiner recommended here?

No, as I'm the first person from this forum to use him (I think :o).

He is recommended on the big German forum Alopezie and the Italian forum Belli Cappeli, that's where I found out about him.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your Story! The works look really clean and I have seen some good results from Kaan.

Questions:

- Does he use the same unique extraction method as Keser?

- Which clinic did your first OP (This would be a rather poor result of them and actually some belgium clinic are on my top list)

• 1 month later...

Very interesting case, and talk of Kaan has gotten my attention for the main reason he trained under/worked for Dr. Keser. Keser does amazing work for those not familiar with him.

Keep us posted on your results and it will be interesting to see if Kaan is the second coming of Keser.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

7 Months Update

There wasn't really anything to report for the first 4 months. But I didn't worry, I just kept wearing my hat. I don't take Minoxidil or anything, so I didn't expect premature growth.

But on the 5th month the hair bloomed rapidly.

All of a sudden, for the first time in my life, I could go outside without a hat or time-consuming hair styling and still look presentable.

It isn't fully grown yet, but to me it's perfect.

The hairline frames my face well, and it's dense enough to look OK in sunlight or when wet.

This time last year, I was really downbeat after my disappointing, messy result with Bisanga.

I've had a bunch of surgeries on my head throughout my life (craniofacial stuff) and I was dreading another poor HT.

But I didn't give up my belief in the effectiveness of properly-done hair transplants and now, my hair problem is solved. Happy days!

Here are my 6 months Post-Op Photos, I'll get some more recent ones posted soon

(Excuse the iffy haircut, I am trying to grow it longer :o)

Front.thumb.jpg.c302ea432eca57a553ac4de5c1b767b4.jpg

Left.jpg.512e4a75bc3a09f2ee57e1faf430b5b7.jpg

5b32fbbe12fb9_LeftOblique.jpg.79a285b09ff6582653ecfb3c89dd580e.jpg

Back.jpg.82becd2812f0b1b8f15fd33b32b32b47.jpg

5b32fbbe45c03_RightOblique.jpg.4c3841f1d9fe6b69eb31e37bb4f04a98.jpg

Right.jpg.eaae42094fd3c4a90ceab4b0d5ef0e12.jpg

Thank you for your Story! The works look really clean and I have seen some good results from Kaan.

Questions:

- Does he use the same unique extraction method as Keser?

- Which clinic did your first OP (This would be a rather poor result of them and actually some belgium clinic are on my top list)

- Yes, I believe so. Keser was actually top of my list for my 1st transplant but I when I considered his (quite high) cost at the time plus the language barrier, I decided to go elsewhere.

- The first HT was with Bisanga. If it would be helpful to other forumers, I could put up a post about it.

- The first HT was with Bisanga. If it would be helpful to other forumers, I could put up a post about it.

I think it would be very interesting. Bisanga was on my list as well. But he was the only top surgeon with 1-2 cases of mistakes in craftmanship (unfortunately every clinic has bad growth results).

Hello guys, I am doctor Pekiner Italian advisor. I am also English speaking. I can confirm that doctor Pekiner worked for 1 year in Keser's clinic as assistant doctor and then for 7 years at HLC as surgeon. He always perfomed full manual FUE surgeries in his career. He opened his own clinic in 2017.

For any information please write to me at

About me: I was norwood 2, going to 3. I stopped all with Finasteride, i take it since more than 10 years. I had a dense pack hairline restoration with dr. Keser in 2016 (1400 grafts). Now i am going to do a touch up with dr. Pekiner in june 2018. I am also going to have some minor beard reconstruction with him (sideburn and mustache connections which i genetically miss).

I would also like to thank and congratulate Tokoloshe. We never spoke before since he went to Dr. Pekiner's clinic through the German advisor.

Edited by Bill - Managing Publisher

Firstduty,

While we welcome patient advisors to participate on our forum, presenting contact info, third party links and photos is by invitation only. If your physician is interested in being considered for recommendation, please contact me privately at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com. Moreover, you are required to add a disclaimer in your forum signature that you represent a physician. Go to "Your Info" up towards the top and then on the left hand side click "Edit Signature".

Thanks,

Bill