Hello all,

I will be 26 in a few weeks, and I am considering a hair transplant in January 2018 with Dr Tejinder Bhatti.

I have found HRN to be quite informative, and there are obviously some very experienced members aboard! As I’ve read so many conflicting things on HTs online, I really don’t know what to do and would be grateful for any advice.

Background

Started receding at the age of around 19/20. Hair has always been naturally thin and fine (same for all males in my family). Crown area is controlled and it’s only really the temples/hairline which are evident. I use coconut oil about 3 times a week and caffeine shampoo only. I find this helps my hair to grow thicker and fuller, consistent usage = 5/6 years.

Hair transplant

1500 grafts have been recommended by Dr Bhatti to restore the hairline.

Issues

At first it seemed like a no brainer. Receding hair with controlled crown area = small hairline transplant to fix up the overall look. Will look perfect. However, having read so many things online I’m unsure on whether HT is even worth at all? I understand Dr Bhatti’s hairlines have been questioned in the past also.

Questions - pictures attached to assist

1) would I be making my overall remote hair worse by going through with a small hairline HT? Shock loss etc etc

2) Dr Bhattis preferred conservative approach widows peak hairline v my preferred straight rounded look ( I’m not necessarily saying low and aggressive, but surely a hairline is supposed to be straight and Symmetrical? This hasn’t been discussed with Dr Bhatti yet, but do others agree on my preferred hairline look?

3) do people think I would actually be able to hide the transplant area when I return to work after 2/3 weeks? Dr Bhatti has said I can grow my hair out quite a lot to cover it up. Has this worked for other people? I usually keep my hair short at the sides and back and long on top anyway.

4) is a hairline transplant at 26 really worth it, if your hair is going to bald further behind the transplanted hair as they say? The question I suppose is.. WHEN will it bald further?! , something which no one can predict. It could happen shortly after HT or it could happen when I’m 40! Who knows! ( the males in my familia all have full heads of hair) makes it even more confusing? Live for the now ? And worry about the future if we get there ?

Any advice, comments or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers dudes.

BennyB

2828FCC5-DC28-4F19-A56B-DBE5509F2CAA.jpg.4a68035cf45a2d3d73c4c6039b348ae5.jpg

DED1074E-8AB3-47C5-A22E-6EBA9D658D09.jpg.51c605e9087a056c51ea3d2e2f8b0034.jpg

18AA8A7D-70E0-4ADB-A880-414E91324891.thumb.jpg.3e895286cbacc92d9be7a44fb60add27.jpg

3EA51402-E7F4-4FD9-B0C5-C1CE54872C50.thumb.jpg.25e2cb6d78112dbd4137c2854d256b88.jpg

4C5907F6-9E28-4F67-A502-7EB4D2B5AB2A.jpg.954a40d5eb8498a3e87c3fe177c08178.jpg

Hi Benny,

In response to your questions;

1) would I be making my overall remote hair worse by going through with a small hairline HT? Shock loss etc etc

Many patients go through similar transplants as that proposed to you in order to strengthen their hairline. I don't see how you will be making it any worse. Shock loss is very rare and you can help prepare for possible shock loss by going on Finasteride 1mg a couple of months in advance of your HT surgery. Dr Bhatti will advise you to take Finasteride 1mg for 6 months post surgery.

2) Dr Bhatti's preferred conservative approach widows peak hairline v my preferred straight rounded look ( I’m not necessarily saying low and aggressive, but surely a hairline is supposed to be straight and Symmetrical? This hasn’t been discussed with Dr Bhatti yet, but do others agree on my preferred hairline look?

Dr Bhatti's hairlines have progressed throughout the years, I think you must be referring to posts over 3 years ago. Dr Bhatti tends to be more flexible these days with his "conservative approach". But saying that 1500 grafts should be fine in your case and I think Dr Bhatti will go for a more straightened approach rather than a widows peak.

3) do people think I would actually be able to hide the transplant area when I return to work after 2/3 weeks? Dr Bhatti has said I can grow my hair out quite a lot to cover it up. Has this worked for other people? I usually keep my hair short at the sides and back and long on top anyway.

This approach has worked for many patients I have sent over to India from the UK. You have time to grow your hair longer at the front and then go for the no-shave technique. After 3 weeks the implanted area will scab/crust free and you will be able to use your longer grown hair at the front to cover the implanted areas whilst they begin their journey of growth.

4) is a hairline transplant at 26 really worth it, if your hair is going to bald further behind the transplanted hair as they say? The question I suppose is.. WHEN will it bald further?! , something which no one can predict. It could happen shortly after HT or it could happen when I’m 40! Who knows! ( the males in my familia all have full heads of hair) makes it even more confusing? Live for the now ? And worry about the future if we get there ?

At your age, its near on impossible to tell where you will end up on the baldness scale. A good indicator might be yours mums' brothers however this is also no exact science. I always say that at your age if your hair is effecting your lifestyle and denting your confidence NOW, then I would advise you to address it, otherwise leave it as it is. The fact that you are on this forum and have made inquiries tells me that there is an underlying issue.

Feel free to contact me further if you wish me to elaborate or explain any other things in details.

Also check out my story in my signature link below, it might help clarify things for you.

Edited by Shera

Thank you Shera for your comments.

From your experience with finasteride, did you experience any side effects? And is finasteride usually stopped after the 6 months?

In relation to the males on my mother’s side, they have full heads of hair and are all 40+. However, I agree, this doesn’t really tell me much on where I will end up on baldness scale in years to come.

Glad to hear the HT can be concealed. And yes the posts about Dr Bhatti’s widows peak preference were from a few years ago, glad to hear this has changed.

I’m still in talks with Dr Bhatti, and yes I may contact you further, given you’ve already been through it all.

Thank you very much.

Hi Benny,

I had no sides with Finasteride so continued to take it religiously for about 2 years following my procedure. During the past year, my third year post op I still take it but every 2nd or 3rd day. I think it has prolonged my native hair especially my crown area and even though the plan was to go and get my crown done at some point I think the use of Finasteride has delayed the need for any further surgery.........for now.

I have personally managed over 50 patient hair transplant journeys over the past couple of years and I have yet to come across anyone who has had lasting side effects. About five of these patients suffered temporary loss of libido in the first few weeks but they recovered from this as their bodies adjusted to the drug. I always advise patients to halve the dosage if they suffer any sides, and then take it on alternative days if the sides persist. If there are still issues I would advise the patient to stop taking the drug. If not then patients gradually increase the dosage and frequency over the coming months.

I have had two patients who refused to take Finasteride altogether and I do believe that their growth was slower compared to other patients who willingly took Finasteride. I also strongly believe it contributed to my own incredible growth, I kept in touch with a patient who had his HT a day after me who refused to take Finasteride and my growth was considerably faster and fuller than his although he got there in the end.

Dr Bhatti advises that patients take Finasteride for 6 months post procedure but I always advise patients to purchase a years supply because I know in the majority of cases patients will continue Finasteride use long term in order to preserve their native hair thus delaying the need for further procedures. Also I always advise patients who no longer wish to take the drug to gradually cut down the dosage weening their bodies of the drug slowly. This is precautionary, I believe you can have an adverse effect to any drug if you suddenly stop, e.g. alcohol.

I think it will benefit you to maybe give me a call so I can clear up your concerns in person, I have PM'd you my mobile number.

Edited by Shera