Nizoral Post Hair Transplant

I had a hair transplant 6 months ago and have had good growth since. I introduced Nizoral 2% to existing my regiment of 0.5mg finasteride and minoxidil 2x daily a month and a half ago and I feel like I am experiencing shedding.

I am only using Nizoral once a week but I have noticed more hair on my pillow and in the shower when I wash my hair.

At this point, should I continue Nizoral for longer to see if it reverses or just discontinue it? My hair was growing great before and I had less hairloss in the shower with just fin and minoxidil, so I am tempted to drop Nizoral and go back to that.

Is it too early to quit Nizoral? I read that Nizoral might do more harm than good and is not necessary as part of the "Big 3"

Can someone share their experience on Nizoral post transplant?

Just a little more information I have been on Minoxidil for 4 months and finasteride for 8 months.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer. I have never used 2% but I used to use 1% Nizoral 3 times per week. I never had any bad reaction to it but, after using it for years, I couldn't say for sure that it was benefiting me. Ultimately, I quit using it.

I know from discussions on our board that quite a few people have experienced adverse reactions, including hair loss that in some cases did not regrow.

Have you read this thread started by Spex?

Nizoral and Shedding

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the response. I have read Spex's thread before, and ultimately I've decided to stop using Nizoral. I took some update pictures today on my hair and noticed that I have experienced severe shedding the last few weeks being on Nizoral 1x a week for a month and a half.

My native hair and even some of my newly transplant hair have fallen off and I've taken a big step backwards. I never noticed much if any hair falling out in the shower before Nizoral but have since been seeing hair on my hand when I shampoo.

Currently really sad right now that Nizoral has basically caused me to hit a big halt on my improvement and caused me to look way worse than before.

I started Nizoral 1x a week 1.5 months ago.

Will the hair I lost grow back?

2 weeks ago

23729842688_0608eacbac_z.jpg

Today

37582406921_329eee45bb.jpg

Assuming the hair loss is due to shedding from the Nizoral, I would expect most or all of it to regrow. But, there's really no way to know for sure. Only time will tell.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

In my experience, Nizoral 2% dried out my scalp and hair even when I only used it a couple of times a week. I am also not convinced that an extra 1% of ketoconazole is really going to do much for your hair when Revita shampoo contains 1% ketoconazole and other helpful ingredients for hair that can nourish and moisturize the hair and scalp. In my opinion, I'd use Revita.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks guys, I stopped it immediately. I used Nizoral no more than 10 times total and it did this much damage. Hopefully my hair will start improving again in the next couple weeks. I don't think I will introduce anything new right now. When my situation improves I will take a look at Revita.

My initial thought was that it could also be from the initial use of minoxidil since you have not been on it for very long.

But your more in depth descriptions seem to point at 2% Nizoral....please keep us in the loop regarding if things improve after stopping the use of it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yeah will do. By the way Bill mentioned Revita shampoo. What are some of the top shampoo people recommend on this forum? I'm almost out of the shampoo the clinic provided me.