Missing temple hair since birth. What can I do?

I'm 21 years old.

The first pic is when I was 7 years old.

Second is how I style my hair to hide my temple regions.

Third is left temple.

Fourth is right temple.

Fifth is a top view.

I never noticed this issue until I got a short hair cut in senior year of high school and people started commenting about my "receding hairline" or "old man haircut".

Now I am almost done with college and I can't keep having a "boy" haircut to hide this issue. What can I do to fix it?

20171004_110956.thumb.jpg.835cb7159396f6ff7ac7381c7b4c31b5.jpg

20171003_230013.thumb.jpg.8059e02f68f86a01313d5289b865e67c.jpg

20171003_101422.thumb.jpg.646a35790640faee3a1ab841b227d609.jpg

20171003_101434.thumb.jpg.8fec9e7a68816336ff25cc956156d704.jpg

20171003_225843.thumb.jpg.44ce6a15dfa88999dd391da31a8da173.jpg

You may have a naturally high hairline, that could be maturing now from your teen years.

I'd say at 21, I wouldn't be looking at having a hair transplant for at least until your late 20s, to see how it develops.

What is your family history of baldness, with your parents/grand parents? This is usually, but not always, an indication of where you're heading..

• Administrators

The picture of you as a boy shows a missing temple point, meaning the temple triangles below the hairline, what you have now is temple recession most likely brought on by MPB, I would suggest getting on finasteride and minoxidil to prevent further hair loss, and I don’t think getting surgery is necessary at this point.

I do however think your hairstyle needs to change, don’t take this the wrong way, but there is absolutely NO reason you should be wearing a Donald trump style comb over, you have plenty of hair, do a faux hawk with a quiff, this will hide the temples, or do a modern quiff with the hair at the temples pushed forward, lastly, just own it, you can still look good even with some temple recession so long as your hair style is nice and fits your face, remember it’s all about framing, keep the fade high and tight to keep your facial proportions, what’s killing you is that hairstyle not the temple recession.

Some examples of what I’m talking about

First the faux hawk with a quiff, the hair is pushed forward and slightly up in the front, this will make the hairline look lower and hide the temples on the corners.

Second is more of a quiff with the hair on the sides pushed forward hiding the temples

Third is more of a slicked back pompadour totally owning the temple recession, looks good high and tight short in the sides.

7577B1AF-F91F-4E24-9FA8-03CB2C08ED91.jpeg

4F3EDEFF-F205-4AD5-8183-70575A8DC62E.jpeg

0A6EAF83-D324-493D-9FFB-BDAAB84D857F.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I like the third hair style but my hairline is much worse, not sure if I can pull it off. How bad is mine on the norwood scale?

My Dad had most of his hair in his 40s and started thinning in his 50s.

Would I need finasteride and minoxidil? I have been monitoring my hairline since I was 18 and noticed no change.

• Administrators

That’s definitely not the hairline you had when you were a kid, it’s hair loss man, the sooner you do something about it the better chance you have to preserve what you have, I think your hairline is maybe at a Norwood 3 level. Honestly, and don’t take this the wrong way, literally any other hairstyle would be better than your current one trust me. You can use toppik or dermmatch to make the hairline appear thicker.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Let me make one thing VERY clear. DO NOT GET A HAIR TRANSPLANT!!!! I had the exact same hairline as you growing up, with no temple points. I receded in college to the point you are now, and freaked out and got an HT. WORST decision of my life. Luckily, I got on propecia right away and have held on to most of my hair for 13 years. Unfortunately, I can't wear the hairstyle that HT Soon showed because I have a huge scar on the back of my head and unnatural grafts in the temples.

Many people have that kind of hairline and hold onto it for years/decades. Look at Clint Eastwood, Joe Walsh, Flea, Justin Theroux, ...the list goes on. Get on propecia ASAP, and try cutting your hair shorter. You're honestly in good shape, and in a couple of years, I guarantee you will have more hair than some of the friends you envy now. PM me with any additional questions. I'm happy to help people avoid the mistake I made.

Let me make one thing VERY clear. DO NOT GET A HAIR TRANSPLANT!!!! I had the exact same hairline as you growing up, with no temple points. I receded in college to the point you are now, and freaked out and got an HT. WORST decision of my life. Luckily, I got on propecia right away and have held on to most of my hair for 13 years. Unfortunately, I can't wear the hairstyle that HT Soon showed because I have a huge scar on the back of my head and unnatural grafts in the temples.

Many people have that kind of hairline and hold onto it for years/decades. Look at Clint Eastwood, Joe Walsh, Flea, Justin Theroux, ...the list goes on. Get on propecia ASAP, and try cutting your hair shorter. You're honestly in good shape, and in a couple of years, I guarantee you will have more hair than some of the friends you envy now. PM me with any additional questions. I'm happy to help people avoid the mistake I made.

Htregrets no disrespect but you went to Bosley lol. Hair transplants have come a long way since then. If he stabilises his hair and finds a top notch ethical surgeon in a year or 2 I think He Will be in good hands.

There is no "lol" connected with my life changing decision. At the time of my surgery, forums like this were in their infancy, and there was not a lot of information available regarding the pros, and SERIOUS cons of hair transplant surgery. I'm not trying to get into any arguments. You are 22, and the original poster is 21. There is NO such thing as stabilizing on medicine, genetics always wins. You are both TOO young to even contemplate this surgery. Figure out a manageable hair style, and move on with your lives. I wish I had been given the same advice when I was your age.

BTW, we care a lot more about our hair than anyone else does, women included. There is much more to life than worrying about a receding hair line.

There is no "lol" connected with my life changing decision. At the time of my surgery, forums like this were in their infancy, and there was not a lot of information available regarding the pros, and SERIOUS cons of hair transplant surgery. I'm not trying to get into any arguments. You are 22, and the original poster is 21. There is NO such thing as stabilizing on medicine, genetics always wins. You are both TOO young to even contemplate this surgery. Figure out a manageable hair style, and move on with your lives. I wish I had been given the same advice when I was your age.

BTW, we care a lot more about our hair than anyone else does, women included. There is much more to life than worrying about a receding hair line.

Your case is a worthwhile cautionary tale, but the lesson is to research heavily and choose a reliable surgeon. The various major finasteride studies show an efficacy of 80% maintaining their current hair for up to a decade, that is more than enough time to save for future transplants and live your life in your 20s how you should. Telling someone to live like they look 35 in their early 20s is as stupid and irresponsible as telling them to go to Bosley. If you had chosen to go to Hasson and Wong instead of Bosley I guarantee you'd be singing praises of hair transplants through the rooftops to this day.

Fact is that this guy is going to be better off with propecia and a transplant, but most definitely propecia is the most important long term factor.

And to act like women in their 20s don't care if a guy has less hair than their 50 year old father? Get real.

JLB,

I'm pulling for you to have a great result and I think you will. You're a rare case, favorable hair characteristics and incredible donor. Stay on the meds, and hopefully the efficacy will stay long enough for a better hair loss remedy to come out.

I would be singing my praises if I went to H&W because they would never operate on me when I started having consultations at 20/21. That's where this kid is. He needs to get on propecia and move on with his life. He is NOT a candidate for any form of HT surgery regardless of the clinic at 21 with a NW3.

The picture of you as a boy shows a missing temple point, meaning the temple triangles below the hairline, what you have now is temple recession most likely brought on by MPB, I would suggest getting on finasteride and minoxidil to prevent further hair loss, and I don’t think getting surgery is necessary at this point.

I do however think your hairstyle needs to change, don’t take this the wrong way, but there is absolutely NO reason you should be wearing a Donald trump style comb over, you have plenty of hair, do a faux hawk with a quiff, this will hide the temples, or do a modern quiff with the hair at the temples pushed forward, lastly, just own it, you can still look good even with some temple recession so long as your hair style is nice and fits your face, remember it’s all about framing, keep the fade high and tight to keep your facial proportions, what’s killing you is that hairstyle not the temple recession.

Some examples of what I’m talking about

First the faux hawk with a quiff, the hair is pushed forward and slightly up in the front, this will make the hairline look lower and hide the temples on the corners.

Second is more of a quiff with the hair on the sides pushed forward hiding the temples

Third is more of a slicked back pompadour totally owning the temple recession, looks good high and tight short in the sides.

I went with the second style. It looks much better, thank you.

I think I will just watch for any more recession for a few years and then find a good FUE doctor.

20171005_213930.thumb.jpg.b13cfb2d8224c19b26e0448d1382f57d.jpg

I think I will just watch for any more recession for a few years and then find a good FUE doctor.

Watching it is the silliest thing you can do. Get on finasteride or you'll be in a far worse position, you don't want to be playing catch up in 2-3 years where you're trying to just get back to what you are at today.

Watching it is the silliest thing you can do. Get on finasteride or you'll be in a far worse position, you don't want to be playing catch up in 2-3 years where you're trying to just get back to what you are at today.

this. you should definitely be trying fin asap.

• Administrators

Yesssss much better, man it’s posts like these that remind me of why I post, I’m glad you got rid of that Donald trump hairstyle, preventing further hair loss is key, if you can maintain what you have in 10 years when you’re my age you won’t need a transplant. In the meantime, I’d also look in to toppik, a sprinkle here and there goes a long way and can really improve the overall density and volume of your hair.

View my thread

I've been there, my friend. I had a high forehead and natural recession and then in addition started losing my hair at 18.

I suggest keeping an eye on it, seeing a dermatologist and getting on finasteride.

What's the hair loss history in your family? Is your dad or grandfather bald or thinning?

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I'd wait and see how your hair loss looks after taking preventative treatments, FUE is good for smaller procedures, but isn't what I would recommend for your first procedure, particularly if you need to maximize coverage and grafts.

I've been in your shoes, and at 33 totally empathize, it was a journey to get my hair back.

I started finasteride at 21, I suggest you do the same.

Whats the best way to watch for hair recession? Is measuring from each temple to the eyebrow every month good?
I'd take pictures and look at them every few months.

You have a receded hairline, now it's a matter of making sure your existing hair doesn't thin, thus finasteride is a good idea, especially if there's hair loss in your family.

Holy crap, man. I can't tell you what an improvement that haircut alone has made. Good call by HTSoon and kudos to you for listening to him and following through with it. I think this will do wonders for your confidence and take away any potential desperation you may feel to "fix your hair". Take all the advice to heart and more importantly, take your time deciding on how you want to proceed.

As for monitoring the hair loss, while this can be helpful, just make sure it doesn't become something that you become obsessive about. Take fin if you're able to and just keep an eye on it every three months or so. Taking pictures in the same exact lighting/angle and with your hair styled the same way is a good way to document this. (For example, some people will take progress pictures with their hair wet, and then another with their hair dry, one with product, one without, etc. and it really makes it impossible to compare and contrast the progress.)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I have read online about bad side effects from fin. Are they true? Should I see a dermatologist?
They are an outlier that effect a minority, and typically only men of an age group that are already predisposed to sexual side effects without finasteride.

A vast majority of people get to use finasteride risk free for many years, and see benefits to their hair loss from it.