SMP into FUT Scar??

Does SMP into a FUT scar look good at different lengths? From my understanding, it looks best at a 0 guard when the dots match the surrounding stubble. When hair begins to grow around it, the 3D hair doesn't match up with the 2D smp. However, if one also gets FUE into the scar tissue (let's assume multiple sessions) would then the combo of FUE and SMP look adequate at different hair lengths? That being a number 1, 2, 3, etc guard and so on. I still have a lot of hair on my head, it's just my FUT scar is low on my head and I like getting fades. I wouldn't be maintaining this fade every week or two so I just wanted to know if along with FUE and smp, the hair would be okay to grow ou from a 0 guardt. Anyone with SMP experience, please let me know.

• 2 years later...

I have a client whose strip scar we did shaved down and it looked great after 1st session. When he returned for a second session he wanted to keep his hair longer. IMO the scar was bit more obvious but still much less discernible than pre-SMP and he was thrilled with the result. I'll post pictures of it this week.

• Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

18 minutes ago, hairthere said:

These are off my phone. He also had just done a FUE surgery but none were placed into the scar

Into fue scars?

On 9/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, TheRealDeal23 said:

Does SMP into a FUT scar look good at different lengths? From my understanding, it looks best at a 0 guard when the dots match the surrounding stubble. When hair begins to grow around it, the 3D hair doesn't match up with the 2D smp. However, if one also gets FUE into the scar tissue (let's assume multiple sessions) would then the combo of FUE and SMP look adequate at different hair lengths? That being a number 1, 2, 3, etc guard and so on. I still have a lot of hair on my head, it's just my FUT scar is low on my head and I like getting fades. I wouldn't be maintaining this fade every week or two so I just wanted to know if along with FUE and smp, the hair would be okay to grow ou from a 0 guardt. Anyone with SMP experience, please let me know.

The whole idea of SMP is to camouflage the scar.  The smaller the scar, the easier to hide. With FUT, his does have to do a lot more with the width of the scar and not so much the length.  With FUE, the smaller the punch, the harder it is to see.  If less than .9mm. it is likely SMP would not be needed.  SMP will typically be helpful when the aggregate look of the punches reflect the honey comb look. 

Not sure if I understand the use of a 0 guard.  The combo of the SMP and the growth of native hair will be needed to accomplish the goal of hiding.  And this is taking into account the patient is a candidate for SMP.

Do you still have room to fade below the scar?

TBcruz, no the FUE grafts were still fresh so we didn’t address them. I have been treating many FUE scar cases as well though. 

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Oh okay, I wasn’t sure if it was just the fut scar or fut/fue scars. At some point in the future (1-2 years) I will be visiting your facility probably depending how my fut scar looks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Valued Contributor

That is an excellent result for an FUT scar which are the most challenging hair transplant scars to camouflage. Even an improvement of 70-80% can make a world of difference for someone who wants to say shave their head. It can transform a person from being completely self conscious to forgetting about the scar and putting it to rest. In a week I am having a 4 year touch up from my first SMP to cover a lot of scars (front and back). I'll post the results up after it's done.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
On 9/24/2017 at 6:51 AM, TheRealDeal23 said:

Generally the closer the shave the better the SMP result looks. Especially over time. FUT results vary a lot due to the width of the scar and the depth.

• 1 month later...