FUE 1818 Grafts Dr B Farjo

micknick

Hi all, I did have a thread running in general hairloss chat but was advised to make a new thread in the correct forum to share my experience and get feedback.

I had my transplant on 24th August at the Farjo clinic in Manchester. As probably most people I was pretty nervous- not so much about the proceedure itself but how I will look after. We talked in previous consultations about growing the hair long and having brushed forward to try and hide it as I had so little at the front I thought it was a great idea.

I travelled to Manchester the night before and stayed at the Premier Inn which is literally a 2 minute walk to the clinic. Got up early and had some breakfast bars I took and some coffee from the room.

Got to the clinic pretty early and waited- pacing up and down the street pretty anxious. Dr Farjo let me in at 7.30 where we had a chat and took some photos. We also talked about my exisiting scar from ear to ear that I have had since I was 15 due to an operation for a head infection. My head has lots of scar tissue on top and is a bit of a weird shape- I also have a huge scar. This is the main reason I have looked to get some work on my hair done as I think if I didnt have the scar and op when I was younger I would have probably have buzzed my hair off.

So anyway the new hairline was drawn on and I was happy as I didnt want to be greedy and have a really forward hairline I just wanted to fill in the front.

The treatment from the team including Dr Rachael was great- she did the extractions and I was quietly told that she was the best there. I was comfortable and they offered me snacks and drinks throughout the day and had my order taken for lunch. The only problem I had was around the area of my exisiting scar didnt really respond to the anesthetic so I had a bit of pain when they got around that area- they kept dosing me up though so eventually it did calm down.

I was finished around 6pm and given some instructions of what to do. I was pretty spaced out so didnt take them all in fully and couldnt really think of any questions. They do give you all instructions on a piece of paper though and a little kit bag of medicinces, shampoo and other bits and pieces. As well as a hat- that while not the most fashionable worked well to not touch any areas that were tender and also hide everything really well.

The thing I was probably most negative about to start off with was the fact that teh hair we left long to try and cover up would never have worked- it looked like I had a wig that had slipped off. There was no way it was going to cover it as we went further towards the crown than I anticipated.

One suggestion I would have is that if possible have someone meet you as I was quite wobbly but as only a veryshort walk to teh hotel was fine. I had some food in my room and went to sleep with extra pillows to raise me.

I travelled home on train the following day and was still pretty spaced out and slightly wobbly.

Some photos:

Hairline drawn on

IMG_9911_zpsiyetuhou.jpg

Immediately after:

IMG_9912_zpsmiur0agn.jpg

IMG_9917_zpslj50rj92.jpg

One day after:

IMG_9928_zpszsgvt308.jpg

IMG_9930_zpsigsbinrg.jpg

Day 5 after surgey:

IMG_9941_zpss3bjaktt.jpg

IMG_9944_zpssxlsr2lh.jpg

IMG_9945_zpsgmel7dnl.jpg

So I took the decision to trim down the hair that was going to help cover up the surgery on day 6:

IMG_9947_zpsozxd6kxe.jpg

IMG_9948_zpsvqirlibg.jpg

I had some quite bad swelling around the eyes that made me look like Id been in a boxing match and lost but that went pretty quickly between day 5 and 7.

One week post surgery:

IMG_9964_zpsklcexudv.jpg

IMG_9965_zpsyhjhuywq.jpg

8 days lost surgery:

IMG_9972_zpse4facetz.jpg

IMG_9967_zpsfzopicm8.jpg

The back is like nothing happened. I still get some tingling at the back and on top- feels sort of like a pessure throb but nothing too bad and I havent taken any ibuprofen for about 3 days now.

Here for context is my scar from previous surgery when I was a kid, this goes from ear to ear:

FullSizeRender_zpstixmfhmw.jpg

I'm going to my barbers next saturday so he can even it all out. Im actually seeing him out of hours as I dont want people to see me.

Apart from the clinic and my partner my hairdresser is the only person that knows I've had it done.

Day 10 after the surgery. The scabs are pretty much gone and the back looks great I think:

FullSizeRender_zpsx0xqo8zv.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsg8veytxa.jpg

The recipient area looks a little sparse I think, I hope I havent done anything wrong.

Did people use minoxidil straight after their transplant? Im worried using it make me shed as it did before when I stopped and strated using it again.

Day 11 after the surgery and my self esteem is pretty low, I have meetings next week with clients that have known me a while so the drastic change in hair is going to be very apparent. 'Decided to buzz it off? Had surgery? Had a hair transplant?' Not sure what I'm going to say. Just hope I get some growth this week and can get it evened out with my barber on Saturday.

Anyway this itchiness is still there at the back and not sure if aloe Vera gel would help...?

You look to be healing up really well micknick. By the look of things though I'd say your best option for next week is to buzz pretty short. I understand your worries about such a radically different style but the buzzed look is so common these days and you should easily be able to respond to any comments with a simple "I just fancied a bit of a change". Most people just aren't that interested, and probably too preoccupied with their own issues.

Aloe Vera is certainly worth trying for the itchiness. Best of luck for next week and let us know how you get on.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

You look to be healing up really well micknick. By the look of things though I'd say your best option for next week is to buzz pretty short. I understand your worries about such a radically different style but the buzzed look is so common these days and you should easily be able to respond to any comments with a simple "I just fancied a bit of a change". Most people just aren't that interested, and probably too preoccupied with their own issues.

Aloe Vera is certainly worth trying for the itchiness. Best of luck for next week and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Pete. Im going to get my barber to match it to the front on Saturday so hoping that it gets some growth even just for next weeks meetings.

So day 15 after the surgery- Ive had a haircut to keep it all the same length. Kinda weird getting used to the person looking back at me in the mirror. I have these meetings next Thursday and Friday so hope there is a bit of growth between now and then.

FullSizeRender%20copy_zpsy7uhwklw.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpskknjsfin.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsyl80tyrp.jpg

How long after their surgery did people start using minoxidil on the recipient area?

That looks absolutely fine micknick. No one is going to think anything other than you've buzzed your hair short.

On the minoxidil, when Dr. Lorenzo was working with us a few years ago he recommended not to use it for at least six weeks post op.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

You're looking good Micknick, keep your head up, mentally and literally.....and you will be fine. On a side note, I think the medications are a bit over-rated anyway. I've never taken a drug for hair stability or growth and I've had two surgeries and over 7,000 grafts and I'm 55 years old. Best of luck to you and keep us informed of your progress.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That looks absolutely fine micknick. No one is going to think anything other than you've buzzed your hair short.

On the minoxidil, when Dr. Lorenzo was working with us a few years ago he recommended not to use it for at least six weeks post op.

Thanks Pete, will hold off on the minoxidil.

You're looking good Micknick, keep your head up, mentally and literally.....and you will be fine. On a side note, I think the medications are a bit over-rated anyway. I've never taken a drug for hair stability or growth and I've had two surgeries and over 7,000 grafts and I'm 55 years old. Best of luck to you and keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks John. The meds have helped in the past and I think I will continue with minoxidil but probably not fin.

A large FUT session would have been a better move in this case.

With the greatest of respect mate I already have a scar ear to ear and didnt really want another one on the back of my head as well. Id look like a tennis ball.

With the greatest of respect mate I already have a scar ear to ear and didnt really want another one on the back of my head as well. Id look like a tennis ball.

Instead you'll end up with an FUE with a mediocre FUE surgeon (nothing against his FUT however), poor density, a lower yield than you would have achieved with FUT, more damage to your donor area, and a higher price. For the same price you could have had an FUT with enough grafts that you would have achieved full coverage and better results in every regard.

What you just said about scarring is purely emotional, not rational. Farjo was wrong to opt for FUE in this case, and doing so when you are planning to get off finasteride shows a lack of respect for his patients. The magnitude of scar tissue caused by FUE per graft is more than twice the size of that with an FUT scar. I would look into SMP for aiding in camouflaging your current scar.

To John the Vories representative, saying medication is over-rated is downright moronic and blatantly unethical coming from someone who should know better. Various major studies show finasteride has an 80-90% success rate in maintaining current hair for up to a decade (most studies ended after a decade or less so perhaps it is even longer). Is maintenance of native hair over-rated? Not a big deal when you're not the one paying for more surgery, it's just more money in the pockets of your surgeon buddies.

From representatives and actual doctors I would expect much smarter planning and responses to this situation, but I guess money first, patient second.

Instead you'll end up with an FUE with a mediocre FUE surgeon (nothing against his FUT however), poor density, a lower yield than you would have achieved with FUT, more damage to your donor area, and a higher price. For the same price you could have had an FUT with enough grafts that you would have achieved full coverage and better results in every regard.

What you just said about scarring is purely emotional, not rational. Farjo was wrong to opt for FUE in this case, and doing so when you are planning to get off finasteride shows a lack of respect for his patients. The magnitude of scar tissue caused by FUE per graft is more than twice the size of that with an FUT scar. I would look into SMP for aiding in camouflaging your current scar.

To John the Vories representative, saying medication is over-rated is downright moronic and blatantly unethical coming from someone who should know better. Various major studies show finasteride has an 80-90% success rate in maintaining current hair for up to a decade (most studies ended after a decade or less so perhaps it is even longer). Is maintenance of native hair over-rated? Not a big deal when you're not the one paying for more surgery, it's just more money in the pockets of your surgeon buddies.

From representatives and actual doctors I would expect much smarter planning and responses to this situation, but I guess money first, patient second.

So you're suggesting that this doesn't look very good so far?

I didn't want to be greedy- I have always had a widows peak and high hairline- I would have looked ridiculous with a more forward hairline.

I wanted FUE, I didn't want any more scars. The donor area is looking like nothing happened and healed up incredibly well.

Think you're a tad out of order calling Dr Farjo mediocre to be honest- highly rated ans recommended on this site

Just to set the record straight, Johnny is speaking of his own experience of stable hair loss at age 55. The vast majority of our patients (especially younger patients) are taking finasteride. A hair saved is always better than a hair transplanted.

Just to set the record straight, Johnny is speaking of his own experience of stable hair loss at age 55. The vast majority of our patients (especially younger patients) are taking finasteride. A hair saved is always better than a hair transplanted.

Much appreciated for confirmation. 100% agree.

So you're suggesting that this doesn't look very good so far?

I didn't want to be greedy- I have always had a widows peak and high hairline- I would have looked ridiculous with a more forward hairline.

I wanted FUE, I didn't want any more scars. The donor area is looking like nothing happened and healed up incredibly well.

Think you're a tad out of order calling Dr Farjo mediocre to be honest- highly rated ans recommended on this site

I think ultimately you will get a result that you will be satisfied with, in regards to yield there is no reason to think you won't get good results and obviously Dr. Farjo is very competent.

However for your level of loss, you are much better suited to FUT, and you could have achieved far better coverage with a strip. You could have kept a conservative hairline but provided coverage in that crown area and better coverage in the area behind the frontal band. FUT yields higher, it does less damage to the donor and it would have allowed for a larger procedure and better coverage. It also would have been cheaper. Again, FUE is not a scarless procedure, and for that same graft number with FUT you would have likely had half the scarring magnitude. SMP can also aid in concealing the scar.

Whether or not this is ethical comes down to opinion, but certainly if I was in his position I would have firmly suggested FUT and to stick with finasteride. He didn't HAVE to perform a FUE on you, he could have just as easily said you are a far better FUT patient and if you weren't happy with that turned you down and said you were not a candidate. FUE is more costly, does more damage to the donor, produces lesser results in general and is much better suited to those with very strong donors, lower levels of loss and who are adamant about sticking with finasteride. You are none of these, and are one who would have benefited by FUT substantially. I am not convinced the area behind the frontal band in your case has enough density to look natural either.

But again, I think ultimately you will get a solid cosmetic improvement and Farjo's track record suggests good results in regards to yield and design as well. In my personal opinion, most people who had done significant research on FUE would not regard him as the cream of the crop specifically for FUE as his results do not reflect that, but certainly one of the best FUT surgeons in the UK. Also when I say mediocre in regards to FUE, more specifically my educated opinion is that he is not up to the standard of the best FUE surgeons this forum recommends, but of course the surgeons this forum recommends are all of a very high standard overall and at the top end in the wider hair surgeon community.

I think ultimately you will get a result that you will be satisfied with, in regards to yield there is no reason to think you won't get good results and obviously Dr. Farjo is very competent.

However for your level of loss, you are much better suited to FUT, and you could have achieved far better coverage with a strip. You could have kept a conservative hairline but provided coverage in that crown area and better coverage in the area behind the frontal band. FUT yields higher, it does less damage to the donor and it would have allowed for a larger procedure and better coverage. It also would have been cheaper. Again, FUE is not a scarless procedure, and for that same graft number with FUT you would have likely had half the scarring magnitude. SMP can also aid in concealing the scar.

Whether or not this is ethical comes down to opinion, but certainly if I was in his position I would have firmly suggested FUT and to stick with finasteride. He didn't HAVE to perform a FUE on you, he could have just as easily said you are a far better FUT patient and if you weren't happy with that turned you down and said you were not a candidate. FUE is more costly, does more damage to the donor, produces lesser results in general and is much better suited to those with very strong donors, lower levels of loss and who are adamant about sticking with finasteride. You are none of these, and are one who would have benefited by FUT substantially. I am not convinced the area behind the frontal band in your case has enough density to look natural either.

But again, I think ultimately you will get a solid cosmetic improvement and Farjo's track record suggests good results in regards to yield and design as well. In my personal opinion, most people who had done significant research on FUE would not regard him as the cream of the crop specifically for FUE as his results do not reflect that, but certainly one of the best FUT surgeons in the UK. Also when I say mediocre in regards to FUE, more specifically my educated opinion is that he is not up to the standard of the best FUE surgeons this forum recommends, but of course the surgeons this forum recommends are all of a very high standard overall and at the top end in the wider hair surgeon community.

Appreciate you responding thanks.

FUT wasn't ever really ever suggested- my brief was that I didn't want to have FUT due to my existing scar and probably hang up from having my head sliced open once and the weeks of hospital bed time that followed. I also wanted a quick recovery due to work and having a young family.

In terms of cost I'm not sure what you mean- Farjo wasn't cheaper than Feuridini and Harley Street hair clinic and I didn't have the same travel as would to belgium for

Maybe my research wasn't deep enough as I took the number of grafts suggested as what was possible with my hair. Are you saying with strip I could and maybe should have had more grafts?

It was decided mutually that the crown be left as is for now as I stopped using minoxidil on it and had some decent results, it was only when I stopped using that it quickly developed.

As for fin- it's not set in stone that I would stop using it, in fact I didn't say to Dr Farjo that I would, it's just I have something side effects that aren't great with fin.

Jean, did you get a strip or FUT? I haven't been following your case.

Went for a 3000 graft FUE with Erdogan. Mainly because of the strength of my donor and success with finasteride + I was only a norwood 3 with minor crown thinning. Apart from Konior who had a year long waiting list I wasn't convinced there were any surgeons as consistent as Erdogan regardless of the procedure type either.

My plan is another 2500-3000 graft FUE touch up procedure in the next 2-5 years depending on how things hold up and to opt for FUT beyond that. Already very happy with how this procedure is turning out though, at 5 months tomorrow so I'll get some photos up later on.

Work looks sound Mick. I wouldn't worry too much about people 'noticing something different ' about you. Most people don't even notice the top of your head in general and if they do,so what?

HT's are so common these days,every male celeb and his dog over 40 has had one and a lot are very open about it.

I think nowadays it's become accepted some guys prefer not to be bald and there's a relatively easy fix,no shame.

Good on ya.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.