Working out after a Hair transplant (FUE vs FUT)

Dear doctors and fellow board members,

I am young 24 and have been able to stabilize my hair loss with FIN and DUT. I am now considering a hair transplant in 3-4 years to see afterthe medication will stabilize my hair loss over a 5-6 year period. But one of my biggest concerns is choosing between FUE and FUT. I originally considered FUE because I estimated that I only needed less than 1000 grafts, but after reading and watching Feller's and Bloxham's YouTube videos about how FUT is the golden staple of HT, I am leaning to FUT, but I have a huge concern with FUT. I am a body builder and I love to workout and getting an fUT would keep me out the gym for about a month which would lose all my gains. If I did get an FUT and jump back in the gym my scar would probably stretchinto something that would be a big issue here. I am stuck in my research on which operation would be better for myself and wanted to ask a few questions. How long should you be out of the gym after getting an FUT vs FUE surgery. Also what reputable surgeons perform the modified FUE? Isn't the modified FUE similar to old fashion plugs?

lol, you're not losing any gains in a month, you may flatten out a bit and lose a little conditioning but muscle memory will bounce you back within a couple weeks...unless you're on heavy aas and decide to shut it down for good post transplant, then you may see regression but then that would happen just by stopping aas not because of the time off alone.

I did fue and was back at it within 2 weeks, I could've stepped on stage shortly after if needed, I didn't lose any ground.

I have a good buddy who has his pro card who had fut done, he was out 6 weeks, he's on heavy aas but he also didn't lose anything but conditioning, not muscle.

I just had an FUT earlier this week. From what I've read on here & heard on videos, there sounds like there's more down time after an FUT, both for healing & working out. I assume it has to do with the incision scar so as not to put pressure on it. I had some plastic surgery on my face a few years ago & had to wait for weeks just to do yoga because i had to be very careful with the pressure to my face. I also had to avoid bending over for a couple of weeks just like an FUT. You just have to take it easy with any incision. I can technically go back to working out lightly after a week (which will be in a few days), but I'm gonna take it easy for even longer... Which means no downward dog positions for me for at least a few weeks. My experience was just easing into certain movements over time. Your body is a pretty good gauge of that. I'm starting to feel restless though... I can't wait to get back in my yoga routine again.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

There is definitely more down time with FUHT than FUE. Stretching of the strip scar is the largest concern post-op.

I agree with Mikey in that muscle memory will bring you right back to where you left off. In addition, most sound body building programs will advise for a complete break from weights at least twice per year for all muscles to completely heal and rest.

Whenever I did this, and you start back up, you will see some gains that you were not making without resting.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You really have nothing to worry about man. I'm an avid lifter myself, I've had 2 FUT's. about to have a third. Youlll bounce back with the weights in no time, even Dexter Jackson took 8 weeks off during off season. It's also good to let you body heal some times also. Just make sure when you return you are careful with exercises that cause you to bend your neck.

There is no strip scar to stretch with FUE and for weight lifters, a definite advantage.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you should worry that much about the recovery time. As you said you are going for hair transplant 3-4 years from now. So your decision between FUT or FUE will be totally dependent on your condition then. and there is not any specific recovery time during which you can't do exercises and all.

You might need some recovery time if you would have any side effects after the hair transplant.

So kindly consult with your doctor before going under hair transplant surgery. Generally, within few days patients can get back to their normal life.

Edited by Admin
Promotional link removed

With FUT/strip, you may have to wait a couple of weeks before doing any really heavy weights however, you can still do a lot of exerices as early as 5 to 7 days post-op. You may want to speak to your doctor about this and he may disagree, but this is what I always did and it worked fine for me. However, you have to be smart and use logic. If you feel a strain in the donor area, don't do the exercise. I didn't do bench for a couple of months to be honest, but I did hammer strength stuff and it kept me pretty strong.