WARNING! Bauman Medical Group

Dr Alan Bauman aka “Bauman the Butcher” of Bauman Medical is a smooth talking used car salesman that comes across as a competent and sincere surgeon. If someone is naive enough to pick a surgeon without doing their due diligence (as I was, unfortunately), they can find themselves in a nightmare that may span the rest of their lives. Bauman the butcher is most likely one of the worst hacks in the industry. I made the mistake of having a procedure done at Bauman medical decades ago, and am now permanently disfigured in a very noticeable way. I have an ear to ear scar that is over one half inch wide and this predictably affects my professional and personal life to this day. Upon further research and consulting with other surgeons in an attempt to mitigate the damage from my surgery at Bauman Medical, other physicians were SHOCKED at the ineptitude of the procedure and the irresponsible way that Bauman Medical handled the aftermath.

The only good that can come from my experience is that someone will read this review and steer clear of Bauman Medical. There are plenty of other hair transplant surgeons in the U.S. that are reputable, have good reviews, and focus on their craft (as opposed to spending all of their time on marketing and paying incredibly high priced lawyers to protect them from numerous malpractice suits due to shoddy work).

Please read this (and Carl Count’s review) and take them seriously. Had I done this, I would have avoided spending over $70,000 and MONTHS of my life trying to mitigate permanent damage caused by one of the most inept surgeons in the hair transplantation industry.

I am permanently disfigured due to the ineptitude of Dr Bauman. I am seeking a full refund of every dollar spent at Bauman Medical

• Sad 2

Yep. Any surgeon that buries their before and afters on their website to the point where it is hard to find them is clearly hiding something. A surgeon with credibility would display his results front and center, especially one that has been in practice for a long time.

He charges people a couple of hundred for consults as well, appears on hack fluff television readily to sell his celebrity, and has been barred from this forum.

Run don't walk from him.

EDIT: I'm going to start a new thread about this topic of paying for consults.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Dr Alan Bauman aka “Bauman the Butcher” of Bauman Medical is a smooth talking used car salesman that comes across as a competent and sincere surgeon. If someone is naive enough to pick a surgeon without doing their due diligence (as I was, unfortunately), they can find themselves in a nightmare that may span the rest of their lives. Bauman the butcher is most likely one of the worst hacks in the industry. I made the mistake of having a procedure done at Bauman medical decades ago, and am now permanently disfigured in a very noticeable way. I have an ear to ear scar that is over one half inch wide and this predictably affects my professional and personal life to this day. Upon further research and consulting with other surgeons in an attempt to mitigate the damage from my surgery at Bauman Medical, other physicians were SHOCKED at the ineptitude of the procedure and the irresponsible way that Bauman Medical handled the aftermath.

The only good that can come from my experience is that someone will read this review and steer clear of Bauman Medical. There are plenty of other hair transplant surgeons in the U.S. that are reputable, have good reviews, and focus on their craft (as opposed to spending all of their time on marketing and paying incredibly high priced lawyers to protect them from numerous malpractice suits due to shoddy work).

Please read this (and Carl Count’s review) and take them seriously. Had I done this, I would have avoided spending over $70,000 and MONTHS of my life trying to mitigate permanent damage caused by one of the most inept surgeons in the hair transplantation industry.

I am permanently disfigured due to the ineptitude of Dr Bauman. I am seeking a full refund of every dollar spent at Bauman Medical

If it is possible, can we see photographs of the before and after.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything else we can do, other than Yelp, to help protect people from Bauman the Butcher? Any ideas are most welcome. I just want to do everything I can to try to prevent anyone else from going through what I went through.

I know of one other victim personally and he will also be scarred for life (In many ways)

Is there anything else we can do, other than Yelp, to help protect people from Bauman the Butcher? Any ideas are most welcome. I just want to do everything I can to try to prevent anyone else from going through what I went through.

I know of one other victim personally and he will also be scarred for life (In many ways)

You can just encourage people to speak out about their experiences on forums like this, and file complaint with the Florida medical board.

I don't know the specifics of your case or any other with him so it would be wrong for me to advise a legal recourse, but sometimes when there are multiple suit worthy cases that can be proven then there can be a class action lawsuit to pursue for various victims.

You'll have to talk to other unhappy patients of his and see if their complaints were ever rectified and ask the Florida medical board what they think about complaints concerning the doctor, legal recourse is a last resort that I'd only pursue if you have an airtight case and lots of fellow unhappy patients with airtight cases.

Pics pics pics.

I hadn't heard of Carl Counts so I did a search for his name followed by Bauman's name and this came up.

Based on what this says and what I see in the pics he doesn't look like a disaster to me. He looks normal. Why the hate?

Contrary to what is being posted in this thread, this flickr that you have linked to is supposedly posted by Dr Bauman, with the permission of the patient Carl Counts including signed media release, and in the album the supposed Dr Bauman is suggesting he was not the perpetrator of the butchery but did the repair work. Seems to be some fair amount of growth from the top down pictures.

However, in the following linked thread at hairlosshelp the supposed Carl Counts is suggesting, in his signature, that Dr Bauman was the perpetrator of the butchery and that he had no results from three procedures. https://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=111903&enterthread=y

garageland/David is in the thread talking to the OP about how he knows the history, so the OP seems legit.

So WTF is going on.

BTW, just googling Carl Counts brings up these horrid photos right there in the google results front page so I hope this poor guy really did sign a release.

• 3 years later...
On 9/9/2017 at 6:17 PM, fml5555 said:

Contrary to what is being posted in this thread, this flickr that you have linked to is supposedly posted by Dr Bauman, with the permission of the patient Carl Counts including signed media release, and in the album the supposed Dr Bauman is suggesting he was not the perpetrator of the butchery but did the repair work. Seems to be some fair amount of growth from the top down pictures.

However, in the following linked thread at hairlosshelp the supposed Carl Counts is suggesting, in his signature, that Dr Bauman was the perpetrator of the butchery and that he had no results from three procedures. https://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=111903&enterthread=y

garageland/David is in the thread talking to the OP about how he knows the history, so the OP seems legit.

So WTF is going on.

BTW, just googling Carl Counts brings up these horrid photos right there in the google results front page so I hope this poor guy really did sign a release.

• Sad 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Carl Counts said:

Carl,

I recall you posted on our YouTube that we censored you in some way. I don’t know if this happened before with our previous managing publisher, but you are free to talk about your experience. We do not believe in censorship, but rather an open dialogue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Carl,

I recall you posted on our YouTube that we censored you in some way. I don’t know if this happened before with our previous managing publisher, but you are free to talk about your experience. We do not believe in censorship, but rather an open dialogue. 

Thank you Melvin. That really means a lot. Sincerely

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Carl Counts said:

Thank you Melvin. That really means a lot. Sincerely

Can you tell us a bit about your story, when did you get surgery, the number of grafts. How does your hair look today? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Can you tell us a bit about your story, when did you get surgery, the number of grafts. How does your hair look today? 

I need to tell you my story before bauman calls you crying like he did with bill. bill banned me afterwards.  I had my first HT in the 90s with no results but fortunately minimal scarring. I had 3 HTs with bauman (2005,2006,2008). When I went to him I CLEARLY told him up front I do NOT want additional scarring. I further told him that if I'm not a good candidate please tell me now as I don't want to spend more money and suffer more pain. He told me he does repair jobs all the time and my results will be great. After the first 2 transplants yielded no results I told him I would seek a second opinion. Unfortunately, bauman is a smooth talker that talked me into another HT, which I should've declined. The 3rd HT left me with a second scar which I told him I did NOT want up front. He refused to take any responsibility and till this day will NOT send me my medical records. He has lied on me on different sites claiming the double scarring is from another doctor. 

Since bauman I went to Dr. Umar in LA for 2000 grafts which did improve my overall look. Dr. Umar used about 1000 grafts from scalp and 1000 from beard. Furthermore, I've had SMP on the scalp and scars to cover bauman's butcher job. Repairing bauman's work has not been easy. Unfortunately, bauman does a lot of advertising and has a PR team to hide his bad reviews. bill accused me of using this website as my personal vengeance against bauman. That could not be further from the truth. I posted my story about what bauman did to me to prevent others from being disfigured for LIFE with permanent nerve damage for LIFE like me. 

Again Melvin thank you for allowing me to share my story without fear of being banned

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Carl Counts said:

I need to tell you my story before bauman calls you crying like he did with bill. bill banned me afterwards.  I had my first HT in the 90s with no results but fortunately minimal scarring. I had 3 HTs with bauman (2005,2006,2008). When I went to him I CLEARLY told him up front I do NOT want additional scarring. I further told him that if I'm not a good candidate please tell me now as I don't want to spend more money and suffer more pain. He told me he does repair jobs all the time and my results will be great. After the first 2 transplants yielded no results I told him I would seek a second opinion. Unfortunately, bauman is a smooth talker that talked me into another HT, which I should've declined. The 3rd HT left me with a second scar which I told him I did NOT want up front. He refused to take any responsibility and till this day will NOT send me my medical records. He has lied on me on different sites claiming the double scarring is from another doctor. 

Since bauman I went to Dr. Umar in LA for 2000 grafts which did improve my overall look. Dr. Umar used about 1000 grafts from scalp and 1000 from beard. Furthermore, I've had SMP on the scalp and scars to cover bauman's butcher job. Repairing bauman's work has not been easy. Unfortunately, bauman does a lot of advertising and has a PR team to hide his bad reviews. bill accused me of using this website as my personal vengeance against bauman. That could not be further from the truth. I posted my story about what bauman did to me to prevent others from being disfigured for LIFE with permanent nerve damage for LIFE like me. 

Again Melvin thank you for allowing me to share my story without fear of being banned

Hi Carl, sorry to hear this, but I’m glad you went to Dr Umar considering how many good things I’ve seen about him. That was a good choice. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Carl Counts said:

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Glad you were able to get help from Dr. Umar, he’s well known for repair work. I’ll tag @Gatsby in here, he has a similar story. Luckily, most guys won’t get multiple strip scars today, but we are seeing massively depleted donor areas that look even worse than strip scars. I posted an example here

• Like 2

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

@Carl CountsI feel your pain on every level. Their is a surgeon here in Melbourne who refuses to hand over pics of me after the damage was done for me (not the surgeon however that was involved in my disfigurement in any way). It's a long story and I have uploaded it here on the forum somewhere. However at only 18 years of age I had not one but TWO punch graft procedures for a high hairline/slight recession of temples. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life as it has followed me everyday like a ghost every time I look in the mirror. I am pretty much at peace with myself today now though and I am strong advocate against very young guys considering a hair transplant without doing the necessary due diligence and research along with the patience that is required to prevent what happened to me that could (and still does today more than ever) happen to them. The two surgeries carried out 6 months apart left me with an unnaturally (even for an 18 year old) low hairline made up of the appearance of 'corn rows' or 'doll's hair' appearance. One year later I embarked on the journey to have these removed over several years via five or six strip methods along the hair line by a plastic surgeon, along with more surgery in the donor area years later. By the age of 25 as my hairline continued to recede I was forced to wear a hair piece for the next '25 years' to hide the scarring as much as my baldness. Four years ago, rather than jumping out of the lifelong pan and back into the fire with more transplants I had SMP to help camouflage the scarring both along my hairline and in the donor region. 

Please feel free to DM me if you wish but I know everything that goes along with the results of an unethical surgeon and the life that you are left with in dealing with this. I've chosen however not to be a victim but someone who has overcome this and hopefully a cautionary tale for other young men like I was before having surgery.

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Today after SMP. An 80-90% improvement from before and after 25 years of hiding under a wig.

third session front.jpg

IMG_0337.PNG

I can’t wait to see your new journey. May be one of the best stories of the forum ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

View my thread