Looking for advice

Hi, I'm new in here. I am 35 years old. I suffer from androgenic alopecia since I was 19 or 20. I didn't do anything about it because I didn't know what to do until a few years later I read about finasteride and minoxidil and started using them and I think it kind of slowed it down, but my hair density and thickness and the receding hairline have become worse over the years.

Now I would like to know what kind of surgery and at what level/amount is best for me. I live in Western Europe and I have heard that there are good doctors in Turkey so is it true and do you recommend me going there?

Thank you,

Ben

Look into Erdogan in Turkey.

Also Bisanga, Feriduni and Lupanzula in Belgium.

Worth consulting with all of them and seeing what their thoughts are.

Hi Bigben, you need to go hair transplant surgery. you are going for a non-surgical procedure, it will not cost you a lot, but if you are going for a proper transplant, you will need to shell out a little money.long term most people go for a transplant or stop using hair patch. when you come to Kabera Global Clinics for a hair transplant, They will offer you a procedure that is minimally invasive and their team will ensure that you have the most natural looking results, with the least amount of discomfort.As you say you live in europe hair transplant cost in europe very costly according to indian prices. if possible you come in delhi and get best hair transplant treatment in delhi at kabera global.

Hair Transplantation Cost, Hair Transplant Cost Delhi

To get meaningful advice from the forum, you'd need to post photos which show your situation.

You've obviously been suffering from hairloss for many years, so as well as posting photos, it would be helpful to know how fast it has advanced and whether it has slowed down in recent years.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

In terms of your receding hairline, the preventative drugs of finasteride and monoxidil thrive the best protecting the crown and top of the head, they're not impotent against helping the front, but they appear to be less reliable for that end.

Which is why people often get hair transplantation for their frontal third and seek to preserve their crowns and top with finasteride and monoxidil.

Be sure to do your home work with surgeons before committing to any particular one, and don't let travel be your chief obstacle, it's worth traveling to do it right.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Be careful with surgery in Turkey. There are a few reputable clinics there but there are many unlisenced/ under ground clinics that are offering hair transplants at a very cheap price . Remember every person only has a limited amount of donor hair available for hair transplantation, so most cannot afford to waste any.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the replies. Basically, I have a very noticeable receding hairline and poor density overall but no bald spots. The profile photo is me but I might post more. I remember reading years ago about the many methods but I don't know what has changed over the years. I would like to know what surgery methods are best for my problem and what doctors are good in Europe (where I am from) or I could travel to New York or Miami too (because of work I might travel to those cities).

Once I get surgery on my head done will I be able to stop taking finasteride? It's been around fifteen years now and I was wondering if I could stop.

I asked about Turkey because where I live I have heard of them but not sure myself, just want to know what doctors are good and perhaps ask more than a few in Europe/New York/Miami and how much do they charge approximately.

Thanks for the replies. Basically, I have a very noticeable receding hairline and poor density overall but no bald spots. The profile photo is me but I might post more. I remember reading years ago about the many methods but I don't know what has changed over the years. I would like to know what surgery methods are best for my problem and what doctors are good in Europe (where I am from) or I could travel to New York or Miami too (because of work I might travel to those cities).

Once I get surgery on my head done will I be able to stop taking finasteride? It's been around fifteen years now and I was wondering if I could stop.

I asked about Turkey because where I live I have heard of them but not sure myself, just want to know what doctors are good and perhaps ask more than a few in Europe/New York/Miami and how much do they charge approximately.

Hi Ben,

Judging from your profile pic you vaguely appear to have a receding hairline coupled with a thinning midscalp. It will be best if you uploaded clear pics of your scalp as previously requested , the front, the top, the sides and the back so posters can give you the best advice. It may well be possible to avoid surgery altogether for the foreseeable future by using fibres to enhance your current look.

Once you have any surgery you will continue to lose your native hair. If you have been taking Finasteride for the past 15 years then it may well be the reason why you have managed to hang on to what you have. The only way of being certain is to stop and see if you lose it. Once you lose it, it's too late................. You could always cut down or take a planned break monitoring any changes.

A good start for your doctor search would be the 'Consult a Physician' link above.

Edited by Shera

I agree with Shera. More photos are needed. Your hairloss appears to be very minimal. I doubt whether you really requite anything but, at most, some hairline work. But photos will tell the story.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Here they are, I hope the files have been uploaded properly, if not I'll check again. Diffuse alopecia very noticeable from the front under this kind of light but also from above and serious receding hairline. My hair has always been thin though, probably because I'm fair. Not sure if I would require more grafts because of that. What surgery options would be best for me? Is FUE the best surgery option? How many grafts (approximately) would I require just by seeing the photos?

eFmno8

gC1bgT

Here they are, I hope the files have been uploaded properly, if not I'll check again. Diffuse alopecia very noticeable from the front under this kind of light but also from above and serious receding hairline. My hair has always been thin though, probably because I'm fair. Not sure if I would require more grafts because of that. What surgery options would be best for me? Is FUE the best surgery option? How many grafts (approximately) would I require just by seeing the photos?

You need to try again, no photos visible. Click the Manage Attachments button and then navigate to your photos folder, then click the upload button once a file is selected.

It worked now. Please check last comment.

Hi Ben,

I would say in the region of about 2400 grafts to rebuild/reinforce your hairline and strengthen your mid scalp and approximately a further 600 to thicken your crown.

However you could also get away with using fibres for a few years if you wish to do so.

Your hair loss is similar to mine. I been using a Haircolor Touch-Up Stick for years easy to apply and unnoticeable simple product saves my ass I couldn't live with out it difference is like night and day

Good to hold you over till you get your head fixed

Super cheap on ebay I use dark brown link below

Good luck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roux-Tween-Time-Instant-Haircolor-Touch-Up-Stick-Choose-from-5-colors/221250616156?epid=1900298866&hash=item3383907b5c:m:mNtQFVZIgDYPm6UHRJ7uHbg&var=520154298854

Thanks for the information, I would like to get the surgery done anyway. Finasteride has slowed the alopecia for years but I want a better hairline already.

Your donor looks good, for the amount of grafts you need, FUE is definitely an option.

Good to know that my donor is good! That gives me hope, thankfully. The "stable" hair loss must mean that finasteride has worked for me because I started losing hair when I was very young.

@Markee To paint my scalp until I get the surgery done doesn't look like a good idea in my case because as you can see my hairline is poor and every trick would be noticed, I think.

Now how do I choose a doctor? Judging other people's results posted on the forum? Is it better to choose one from the "Coalition" or it doesn't matter? I could travel in Europe (where I live) or to New York/Miami (because of my work) but it's becoming a difficult decision to choose one.

On second thoughts, I would travel anywhere if I can afford the total costs and the doctor is well recommended.

Edited by BigBen
Last sentence

• Administrators

I will agree your donor appears quite dense, your hair loss is minimal. We recommend plenty of top notch doctors that could give you more insight as to how many grafts you would need to achieve a good result. You can find a surgeon in your area by looking at our list but remember go by results not location.

Recommended list

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-loss-doctors.asp

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for replying. :)

Dr. Koray Erdogan replied to my consultation and he says that the hair on the crown is miniaturised. He recommends that I get surgery on the front (hairline and front side) because if I get HT on all the upper side (among my native hairs) the shock could be important for the native hairs that he believes are weak. I will send better photos of that area because they don't look that bad close enough, just to be sure.

Has anyone received similar advice from this or any other doctor?

EDIT:

This doctor after seeing my photos think that I'd need 2800-3300.

EDIT 2:

I have contacted Diep and Feriduni as well, waiting for replies.

Edited by BigBen

I will agree your donor appears quite dense, your hair loss is minimal. We recommend plenty of top notch doctors that could give you more insight as to how many grafts you would need to achieve a good result. You can find a surgeon in your area by looking at our list but remember go by results not location.

Recommended list

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-loss-doctors.asp

Thanks. This forum is absolutely invaluable. I will post my HT thread once it has begun, too.

• 1 month later...

I am in Istanbul and will have my first HT done with Koray Erdogan (Asmed Clinic) on Monday 30th July 2018. I will probably make a separate thread though.

I can confirm how nice the people that work there are. Everything is extremely well organised and even though the doctor appears busy he does the important things like planning the HT and drawing the hairline and, most importantly, leading the surgery. All the girls and guys working there are really friendly and supportive with all patients.

The exact numbers will be provided on Monday after they have checked the 360 degrees photos so please don't take the following figures as definitive but, after checking my hair, the doctor has estimated 2,880 grafts and 1.9 hairs per graft average with 61 microns thickness for covering 60cm2 (hairline and front).

But right now all I have is a promising hairline drawn on my shaved head. :D