spex

No 18 Year Old should get a Hair Transplant

Somewhat related to this topic, what are the guiding principals of deciding number of procedures, time between procedures, to ensure best overall results?

And how does a person decide between further procedures and tossing in the towel and shaving?

I know it depends on factors like donor region, density, age so lets say:

age 30, medium donor region, norwood 5, medium density

Somewhat related to this topic, what are the guiding principals of deciding number of procedures, time between procedures, to ensure best overall results?

And how does a person decide between further procedures and tossing in the towel and shaving?

I know it depends on factors like donor region, density, age so lets say:

age 30, medium donor region, norwood 5, medium density

Tossing in the towel and shaving is a personal choice for each individual.

The ideal time between procedures is at least a year, preferably 18 months, just in case there's growth still in progress.

If you have average laxity you can typically get three, maybe four FUT strips from your donor, depending upon several factors surrounding your personal physiology.

After which FUE is probably your best bet for additional graft needs.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Agree with Speegs:cool:

Visit my website : www.spexhair.com 

You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

I don't even know where to begin.....Okay.....here we go.

Hi! My name is John Edward. I am currently 18 years old and will be turning 19 this April. I am of Filipino descent and my hair was the best asset of my physical appearance, until recently that is. All throughout my school years 5th grade up to the 10th, I have never really imagined that I'd be bald, at least not as early as 18! Moving to the US at 5th grade I quickly garnered the moniker "The guy with the Justin Bieber hair." That never really bothered me and in fact made me even feel good about myself as I started to suffer from sever acne breakouts. Fast forward three years later at 8th grade, I was called as the guy who resembled Edward Cullen from Twilight because I had "The Hair." Again, I wasn't upset, because that vampire dude had pretty locks! I remembered spending well over an hour just applying mousse, hair waxes, and hairsprays to achieve a good hairstyle. I even put off coloring my hair, as I told myself then that I'd have plenty of time to experiment with my hair color when I am in college/university.

Sadly, life took an unexpected and unfortunate turn. At the middle of my 11th grade year, I noticed that the hairline on the left and sides of my hair were receding! From an aerial view, my hairline looked like a protruding parabola, gradually gaining length at the vertex, and declining at either sides! I was petrified! Under harsh spotlight, the skin on my balding area horribly showed. And thus began my anxiety and depression on my hair loss. I loved the theater....I loved making speeches and delivering on the stage. But that passion started to die away as I realized that the spotlight on stages showed how much of a wreck my hair line was. I tried to be emotionally detached and tried to not care about people's perceptions of myself, as is what appears to be the motto or the tagline of my generation's, the millennials, mentality on life. BUT I COULD NOT TAKE IT! 99.99% of my peers and young adults I see who seem genuinely happy and having the time of their lives have their hairlines intact! I started to notice how beautiful they were, and how the hairline played such a major role in making them look...not ugly. For the rest of the half of my 11th grade school year, I LITERALLY (I kid, fuck you NOT) started wearing a hoodie (with the hood on) from the beginning of my first class to my last, LITERALLY FOR 8 HOURS STRAIGHT! I was also a very active person, I LOVE SWIMMING AND PLAYING VOLLEYBALL SOOO MUCH! But my balding problem put an end to those passions, too. If I played outdoors, I was afraid the wind my blow my hair too strongly and expose my super fucked up hairline. If I sweated too much, my wet hair will immediately and noticeably show the areas of my hair that are thinned out and thinning. If I swam, same problem. Fast forward to 2018, almost 2 years later, I still carry those crippling fears with me. I have become the lowest and most desperate and abysmal version of myself. When my hairline was still okay, I imagined myself in my early twenties being able to wear a suit pants (those really nice ones that shows off your ass and leg muscles) with a tucked in button-shirt or pollo, with a cup of coffee in one hand, a perfect smile on my face, and the most gorgeous copper reddish toned hair that's styled up revealing the precise, gorgeous trims on the side, the mousse like bundle on top, and the sleek and dense hairline to put everything together....imagine this person and make him bald. The entire ideal image suddenly loses structure and falls apart. Six months ago, I signed myself up for an extracurricular class that lasts for 4 hours and the day before it started I met with a friend inside a mall without any head accessories on, after having talked myself in the mirror about self acceptance and positive mentality. Whatever guard or shield of self-acceptance I had build on that day was shattered with a single comment my friend made: "Wow dude, your starting to go bald, that sucks man.." On the day of the extracurricular class and until 6 months later, I have worn a HAT every single time for four hours 5 days a week. Many people have commented and prodded me about "the deal" with the hats, and I could only answer with a hesitant smile and tried my best to shift the topic of the conversation. I am afraid of going to job interviews because of my hairline. I am afraid of any social interactions with strangers (especially with someone who I find attractive). GOING OUT OF MY HOUSE, LITERALLY WANDERING A FEW BLOCKS AWAY FOR A FRESH, COOL AIR, IS SUCH A STRUGGLE!!! I need to get a control of my life. The age of 20 - 30 is the PRIME of my life, I can not let those years be wasted because of a genetic default. And that is why I am saving money until the end of this year to get a hair transplant. I cannot wait 5 years to have it done, when it means that I'll be miserable for that entire duration. I'd rather have my hair now, get a job, lose my hair at 25 and get another hair surgery, which I imagine I will have the finance at that age to undergo such a procedure.

Do NOT rush into anything and gain a number of in-house consultations with leading clinics who will help guide you ETHICALLY and HONESTLY.

Do NOT be told what you want to hear and take a parent with you too to any consultation.

Regards

Spex

You can read my regular columns for The Telegraph and The Huffington Post, Apetogentleman and Vitabiotics via my site and you'll find a great deal out about me and the industry there! 

I am patient advisor for The Harley St Hair Clinic, Dr. Scott Alexander, Dr. William Lindsey and Dr. Tejinder Bhatti. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I represent.

Bump for new readers 😎

Regards

Spex