2022 Grafts with DR. DIEP (FUT) Revision Surgery

hairvanity

Hey guys just wanted to share my story with you and hopefully get some good results that I can document along the way. Several years ago I had a transplant by a doctor in Reno Nevada named Dr. Wesley Hall Sr. I was looking to lower my naturally hi hairline and frame my face better but instead I ended up with some terrible pitting, little to no growth, and a bad hair line design that resembled one of a female. The doctor suggested I only needed 600 grafts believe it or not. And when the first procedure failed he did it a second time at no charge with the exact same results, again implanting 600 additional grafts. As you can imagine after two failed transplants I felt like I had no hope, and thought that perhaps I was just one of those few cases where hair transplants don't work. I was lucky enough to get my money refunded before Dr. Hall closed shop and disappeared. He was the only hair transplant surgeon in Reno Nevada. I remember the two technicians that assisted him with the hair transplant seemed very new, with little to no experience. I made the mistake to not do my research, did not even ask to see before and after pictures, and just assumed that a doctor Who owned a hair transplant clinic would know what he was doing. Lesson learned. If you get anything from my story I hope it's that you do your research, that you follow instructions, and that if there's any red flags whatsoever you run the other direction.

After years of depression, wearing hats and keeping my hair long to disguise the botched transplant, and dwindling self-esteem and confidence, I decided to do something about it and made a decision to go see Dr. Diep in San Jose.

As you can imagine I'm still a little skeptical of this one turning out like the rest but I plan to follow the instructions by the book and hopefully with a more positive attitude and suggestions from folks like yourselves I can get better results and put this tragic experience behind me. I'm really hoping for the third time's the charm.

My surgery was on Thursday, August 10th 2017. Dr. Diep and his crew implanted 2022 total follicles in a little over 6 1/2 hours using the FUT method. I went with the strip method because the previous doctor had left a very large and unattractive donor area scar that I also needed revised. Dr. Diep removed some of the old transplants that gave me the circle/feminine hairline and drew out a brand new design that I really like.

Dr. Diep surgery was significantly less painful than my two prior ones with Dr. Hall, I was completely knocked out for 75% of the surgery itself.

Attached are pictures from my old transplant results and postop pictures after my surgery with Dr. Diep today in San Jose.

If you have any questions, comments, or most importantly advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. At this point I want to make sure that I do everything in my power and control for this surgery to produce optimal results.

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.226eade399409f9eb67b88820f5be5eb.JPG

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.14a1055d088889c39ba6ab6f5da2adcc.JPG

IMG_1766.thumb.jpg.417917492645cf1ef22005584ac3b03d.jpg

IMG_1762.thumb.jpg.d774b13eaaa96521a990f3f66df43721.jpg

Edited by hairvanity

Wow, I feel with you. The orgiginal transplant looks awful, and the clinic/surgeon needs to be punished for this. You deserve much more than a refund. He clearly had less of an idea what he was doing than an average fourm member here (e. g. in terms of hairline design).

However, your new transplant looks good and you seems to have great hair characteristics. I wish you the best and please keep us updated.

Grow well!

• 3 months later...

Thank you for posting your story, I am sorry to hear what you have been through with your first HT and the impact that this had on your health.

I am yet to have a HT but I have a similar hairline to yours and this has also impacted me. I have been considering a HT with dr diep and wondered if you could share and advice or updates on how you are doing?

Many Thanks

P3not

Renovanity,

I'm really sorry to hear about your first experience with Dr. Hall. I can't say I've ever heard of him. But Dr. Diep is top notch and as you can tell from the difference in the procedure, there's already major differences. And your post-op pics look great, just as I'd expect. It's going to take awhile for the results to grow in and your hair might even look worse before it looks better. This happened in all 4 of my hair transplant procedures. But I expect that everything will grow in as time continues. So please do keep us posted each month.

I also encourage you to create a hair loss website to document your progress. You can even rate your physician and add multiple procedures, rating both docs.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for replying to my message. How are you doing since your HT?

You must be about 3 months in which is when I believe you start to see some of the transplanted hairs beginning to grow through?

Thanks P3not

I think it’s lookin good, keeping fingers crossed I get way more density. My scar is much better than my old FUT scar. I really like how Dr. Diep knocks you out during surgery, you wake up and they’re all done... I don’t see other doctors doing that.

DAA1B00D-AE51-4BD3-86B3-5274983E9E5E.thumb.jpg.172e29e9e1f6114846b715581a8a2002.jpg

I think it's looking better than good, especially considering it's only been 3 months. I have seen 4-5 month results on this site that do not have this density / growth. The temple and hairline is also looking really natural which is great. I hope that this keeps thickening for you and you can keep us informed as you experience more growth.

Thanks p3not

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see Dr. DIep in my surgery.

I saw two technicians.

Dr. Diep said he put me to sleep, but I did not give him permission too.

I remember eating Subway that day too and watching Captain America Civil War..

Dr. Diep said I was a sleep most of the time, and.every time I woke, he was not there.

My procedure came out bad by the way. My forehead is horribly disfigured and I acquired a serious infection during the surgery.

Here is the thing. Dr. Diep gave me a pill after the surgery. He said it was for the infection. I am not sure what it was since I took antibiotics at home, but the day seems very hazy after that. Keep in mind in the photographs he gave me, I am awake and smiling, and I do not remember taking those pictures. It is bizarre. I wonder if I was given amnesia pills. I had excessive bleeding on my forehead hours after surgery. Either way, I paid Dr. Diep to do the procedure, and I didn't see him.

Can someone please elaborate? Another patient told me that Dr. Diep left him during surgery and that the techs performed almost all of the procedure. He also said his hairline came out bad. I still have his phone number so I will call him soon. Any idea what happened and if this is normal? Being put to sleep is a terrible idea, because you have know idea what is going on. Please be weary of this. Were any other patients put to sleep?

• Like 1

I saw two technicians.

Dr. Diep said I was a sleep most of the time, and.every time I woke, he was not there.

My procedure came out bad by the way. My forehead is horribly disfigured and I acquired a serious infection during the surgery.

Here is the thing. Dr. Diep gave me a pill after the surgery. He said it was for the infection. I am not sure what it was since I took antibiotics at home, but the day seems very hazy after that. Keep in mind in the photographs he gave me, I am awake and smiling, and I do not remember taking those pictures. It is bizarre. I wonder if I was given amnesia pills. I had excessive bleeding on my forehead hours after surgery. Either way, I paid Dr. Diep to do the procedure, and I didn't see him.

Can someone please elaborate? Another patient told me that Dr. Diep left him during surgery and that the techs performed almost all of the procedure. He also said his hairline came out bad. I still have his phone number so I will call him soon. Any idea what happened and if this is normal? Being put to sleep is a terrible idea, because you have know idea what is going on. Please be weary of this. Were any other patients put to sleep?

There was a member I used to talk to that hasn't posted in some time, he had fue with Dr Diep, he used to joke that he was slipped the date rape drug during his surgery because he too didn't remember shit from the surgery. He would say he remembers going there, getting burger king for lunch and then heading back to the hotel. His growth last time I spoke to him was going okay, no idea how it ultimately turned out but I don' t think there is an amnesia pill. You can be given a sedative tho.

• Like 1

Hello, Today I'm at 4 months post op since my repair FUT surgery with Dr. Diep.

PROS:

I've posted a picture of my old scar which would not allow me to use a clipper on my hair because it was too wide... With my new scar from Dr. Diep I am now able to cut my hair down to a size 3/4! Very happy about that, I can also feel small stubble of hair growing through the scar so I hope in several months I may even be able to go shorter.

CONS:

I don't see any NEW growth... So unfortunately I obsess and stress about my hair daily. The hairs that sprouted early have kept growing which is great, but I just haven't seen any new sprouts. I know they don't all grow in at once but I can't help to think that this is it. I've heard people say that once it started to grow it just wouldn't stop but I don't think I feel the same way.

IMG_2797.thumb.jpg.5b82c3784b1bfee97539c99a1aa6d762.jpg

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.95eba84a34f6ffb6ea4eb300eea0dd38.jpg

IMG_2808.thumb.jpg.8f13aacc1973fdd5c10fff91a384598d.jpg

userimage-868809.jpg.7b3d21f831f865ec89e4e0c324a08a2c.jpg

Well a successful surgery is determined by how many grafts grow. If 80% of the grafts you paid for don't grow within 6 months, sue. A contract becomes invalid once a surgeon allows his technicians to perform the surgery unsupervised. Negligence also invalidates a contract, and poor growth is a sign of negligence. Please contact me if you feel that you were a victim of an improperly conducted surgery. Here is my email jarodriguez@mail.com.

Edited by javier1234

• Administrators

It’s barely 4 months, and you already have quite a bit of growth, check out my timeline video with Dr. Diep at 4 months it looked just like yours. 4 months is just the tip of the iceberg.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It’s barely 4 months, and you already have quite a bit of growth, check out my timeline video with Dr. Diep at 4 months it looked just like yours. 4 months is just the tip of the iceberg.

That picture was taken days after surgery. There is almost no hair on my recipient area right now. Look at my blog. My forehead is bright red with almost no hair. Do You see that scab on my forehead? There was almost no grafts underneath that scab when it fell off. The bleeding happened the day of the surgery. I’ll post the picture from the surgery so you can see where the heavy bleeding came from. It seems like you work sent here by someone since you did not mention the giant scab on my forehead.

• Administrators
That picture was taken days after surgery. There is almost no hair on my recipient area right now. Look at my blog. My forehead is bright red with almost no hair. Do You see that scab on my forehead? There was almost no grafts underneath that scab when it fell off. The bleeding happened the day of the surgery. I’ll post the picture from the surgery so you can see where the heavy bleeding came from. It seems like you work sent here by someone since you did not mention the giant scab on my forehead.

What are you talking about? This is not your thread, this is renovanity’s thread, I have no idea who you are, create your own thread, let’s not hijack renovanitys thread. My initial response was not to you it was to renovanity the thread starter.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's looking good Renovanity - I can imagine the frustration hoping that the thickens more in the recipient area. I have read that a lot on this site and I bet time can't move quick enough!! It sounds like a mental battle at the minute - I hope and believe it will in the near future. I like the hairline with the widows peak, similar to what I would like to go for, maybe via fue.

What do people say who see your new hair?

Thanks for sharing

P3not

I saw two technicians.

Hi javier1234,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I do agree with HTsoon, that you should start your own thread. I would be interested in seeing some before pictures of you hair as well and how this develops.

Do you have any more information you could share via a new thread?

Thanks P3not

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Renovanity, do you have any more up to date pics that you could share with us?

From following your experience I decide to have a Skype consultation with dr Diep, he said I may need 2000-2500 tops. I think it may be closer to 2000 though as I down want it to be too low. I just need to wait for a date and start saving.

Thanks p3not

CONS-

No major changes yet. Hoping to see a growth spurt soon. Hair still lacks density. I do see some hairs sprouting but not too many. Here are pictures of my hair in regular and really bright light.

PROS-

Even tho it’s not very dense yet im not wearing hats anymore. It’s current state is better from where I started. the scar has continued to heal well so I’m cutting my hair with a 3/4 guard. I can see hair beginning to grow through the scar too so hopefully I can cut it shorter soon.

0742EED0-85C5-4AA6-A257-D266F87D9604.thumb.jpg.f694ab83e578574fd66e63ec91fc6514.jpg

0BE53889-E4A8-4D3B-BB72-DDAD91DB253F.thumb.jpg.06bb60384b4c74069c40b5eff6dea4a1.jpg

Thanks for the update, I think it is coming along nicely. Have you seen the playlist on dr Dieps YouTube channel that has month to month follow ups for one HT that he done, the progress looked pretty similar to yours and he had a great result at month 6. Fingers crossed!

P3not

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Renovanity, I hope things are going well and your happy with your HT results so far. Do you have any more pictures you could share?

Also do you know what dr diep identified you as on the Norwood scale? I was. 3a which was a little surprising? :(

Thanks p3not

I believe he said I was a 3 too but I’m not too sure .

Here are some pics with very bright and regular lighting. Hoping to get more density months 6-12!!!

I cut my hair to a 3 guard recently and you can slightly see a bit of the scar on the right side of my head, only about an inch of it so not too bad. much better than my previous scar from my prior doctor. There is also hair stubble along some areas of the scar but that hair won’t seem to grow and get longer... hope it will eventually grow and conceal the scar more. The missing hair along the scar makes it slightly look like I have a hat line, impossible to

notice in a picture.

I haven’t worn a hat for 2 months which is crazy because I wore them everyday for years. I think it looks way better then what I started with.

Not happy with density yet but depending on the lighting I’m in, sometimes my hair looks good. At this point density is my only concern.

B300D607-BF69-4AD5-BC29-21DD521BE845.thumb.jpg.e9f87bc24f2246ea49c1b1651666fb26.jpg

5768EE47-FCE0-4EC1-8CC3-B1C4116E98F2.thumb.jpg.1a52a85bfa2c5b44712ffa65ec572e88.jpg

26AD5A31-C11F-4590-A7E7-D31F0951EB76.thumb.jpg.d1201398d4a141a2f1f68b3779c89fe5.jpg