I'm desperate for some help.

I used to post on this forum about 8 years ago as HTNONO. I made the DEVASTATING mistake of going to Bosley at 21. I am 34 now. I can't begin to explain what that decision has done to my life.

Fortunately, I was able to hold onto my hair for a long time and move on. I've been successful in business, have a great girlfriend, life has been good relatively speaking.

Then....it happens again. HAIR LOSS! I wish I could just shave my head or style it in a way that looks normal, but the scars and grafts all over my head limit those options. It's crazy how much ground I've lost in 3 months.

And that's why I'm here. I've been delaying the inevitable for 13 years, and need to figure out what to do. Should I get another strip? Should I go with FUE? Should I try to "reverse" the mistake I made?

I have consulted with many Dr.'s, and am set to meet with Dr. Cooley who is in my backyard. The consensus is I need 2000 grafts to for my hairloss pattern.

I'm still VERY concerned with how natural HT's look, and about scarring. I have attached recent pictures. Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Hair1.thumb.jpg.b0929704673677aef9d1fdcfc4eb1d9a.jpg

Hair2.thumb.jpg.138954957b484a4d8d6980daf65c91a7.jpg

Hair3.thumb.jpg.4738355a0a98c34a5a9dbfcda719b768.jpg

Hair4.thumb.jpg.c84beca919677e154858d7e4fd136732.jpg

Hair5.thumb.jpg.20687602fefc63feee73ad2eee0ea933.jpg

Hair6.thumb.jpg.8f7b334348339af9a7c63da025b93512.jpg

I can remember your old screen name from back then. Do you have any photos from before your procedure? It isn't clear how much of your hairline is transplanted.

But with that said, your hair is looking pretty damn good. Of course I see you're a bit thin/receded at the temples, but nothing major. Your hair/skin contrast is low, which works in your favour.

You look like a candidate for FUT or FUE and 2000 grafts sounds about right. Another FUT procedure could give the doctor a chance to revise your scar.

Basically, you're in a position where all of the options that would be available to a 'virgin scalp' are open to you. The only thing of concern is how fast you are losing hair now.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Matt,

Thank you for commenting! Your hair looks great, and I believe I have a similar hair loss pattern. However, I am very concerned that my frontal forelock is miniaturizing and thinning rapidly. I also am experiencing loss in the mid-scalp despite taking propecia for about 15 years.

Most of the 700+ grafts were placed in the temples. My forelock at the time was solid. The jackass Dr. did place some grafts directly into the front of the hairline where I had zero loss at the time. Now, that area has receded and I am left with unnatural appearing grafts.

Besides being concerned with additional hair loss, I am worried about the naturalness of the transplant given my hair characteristics. I have very fine blonde hair, and all of the grafts that were placed have grown in dark and coarse.

Also, because of the color of my hair, the scar is extremely hard to hide at ANY length. If my hair gets wet, you can see the scar. I am not willing to have a procedure where the scar is lengthened into the sides, this will make the transplant more obvious.

I may have to do a small strip surgery, and follow it up with FUE. Unfortunately, I'm worried about scarring from FUE as well due to my hair characteristics.

So that's my predicament. I don't think I was ever really a candidate for this procedure, and I would DO ANYTHING to go back in time and never have had surgery. Please let me know if I'm overreacting and if there IS a good possible outcome for my situation.

You won't need a real large procedure to fill in the temporal lobes on both sides and some carefully angled single hair grafts can help greatly with your hairline area.

The key is that you are now doing your research and ultimately selecting a good talented competent surgeon this time.

The variables are: can your current scar be revised successfully with a subsequent strip excision? Is there enough scalp elasticity to accommodate this? If not, then FUE would be the way to go. And your surgeon can also potentially cherry pick grafts that will have compatible characteristics regarding caliber and color.

Just be sure to get several opinions and once you ultimately decide on the right doctor, my premonition is that you will have a totally different and appealing outcome...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Despite the fact you went to Bosley, you actually don't look all that bad and are age appropriate.

You could perhaps fill in those temples a bit, but you have the very believable and normal hairline of a man in his mid 30s.

It took me three procedures to get the density I wanted, but finally I'm there, and I'm not much younger than you.

For what it's worth I too decided on a second physician for my follow up procedures, I went to Dr. Gabel and my only regret is he didn't do my first procedure.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Matt,

Thank you for commenting! Your hair looks great, and I believe I have a similar hair loss pattern. However, I am very concerned that my frontal forelock is miniaturizing and thinning rapidly. I also am experiencing loss in the mid-scalp despite taking propecia for about 15 years.

Most of the 700+ grafts were placed in the temples. My forelock at the time was solid. The jackass Dr. did place some grafts directly into the front of the hairline where I had zero loss at the time. Now, that area has receded and I am left with unnatural appearing grafts.

Besides being concerned with additional hair loss, I am worried about the naturalness of the transplant given my hair characteristics. I have very fine blonde hair, and all of the grafts that were placed have grown in dark and coarse.

Also, because of the color of my hair, the scar is extremely hard to hide at ANY length. If my hair gets wet, you can see the scar. I am not willing to have a procedure where the scar is lengthened into the sides, this will make the transplant more obvious.

I may have to do a small strip surgery, and follow it up with FUE. Unfortunately, I'm worried about scarring from FUE as well due to my hair characteristics.

So that's my predicament. I don't think I was ever really a candidate for this procedure, and I would DO ANYTHING to go back in time and never have had surgery. Please let me know if I'm overreacting and if there IS a good possible outcome for my situation.

It's possible that you were never really a candidate. I can't be sure even thought it looks that way due to how minimal your loss still is. Believe me, compared to so many patients who want to repair previous work, you're in a good position.

Is it possible to take more photos closer up to show how unnatural it looks?

Mattj,

When you say I'm not a candidate, do you mean because of limited loss? Or I don't have a good donor/hair characteristics/etc.?

I've attached some additional pictures. The grafts are darker and coarser than my natural hairline hair. There is also some pitting that does not come thru on these pictures. The last picture is how I style my hair, but you can see that the front has significantly thinned, especially on the right side. This is why I am now forced to do something about my hair.

I am very concerned that if I get another procedure, that the additional grafts will once again be thicker and darker than my natural hair, and it will become MORE obvious that I have had an HT.

I was at the PGA Championship this weekend, and all I did was stare at hairlines the whole time. I watched as everyone, bald and not bald, was having a great time and I was filled with stress and anxiety over this mistake I made 13 years ago. I know there are other repair patients out there that have it worse than me, but I still wonder if I'll ever have a "normal" life. This is so depressing.

Unnatural1.thumb.jpg.c4929b19eaba242669e1eeb71a6f1b7f.jpg

Unnatural2.thumb.jpg.5ced74fd573e3961bb21020fcc3cd871.jpg

Unnatural3.thumb.jpg.14ff21d2703b23719a43b96429ea3881.jpg

Unnatural4.thumb.jpg.82221f294bca32880178eef820646a2f.jpg

Are you still on Finasteride? That is very odd that you were fine for 15 years but then rapidly lost hair in a 3 month period. Maybe it was just a shedding period that everyone gets from time to time. The quality of the pictures isn't great but from what I see, you are not in bad shape and nothing looks unnatural. Your hairline appears to be in the correct location. If it is bothering you, I personally would opt for another FUT. Things have improved a lot in the past 15 years. Your scar may end up being better this time around with the right doctor.

Mattj,

When you say I'm not a candidate, do you mean because of limited loss? Or I don't have a good donor/hair characteristics/etc.?

I've attached some additional pictures. The grafts are darker and coarser than my natural hairline hair. There is also some pitting that does not come thru on these pictures. The last picture is how I style my hair, but you can see that the front has significantly thinned, especially on the right side. This is why I am now forced to do something about my hair.

I am very concerned that if I get another procedure, that the additional grafts will once again be thicker and darker than my natural hair, and it will become MORE obvious that I have had an HT.

I was at the PGA Championship this weekend, and all I did was stare at hairlines the whole time. I watched as everyone, bald and not bald, was having a great time and I was filled with stress and anxiety over this mistake I made 13 years ago. I know there are other repair patients out there that have it worse than me, but I still wonder if I'll ever have a "normal" life. This is so depressing.

I mean it's possible that your loss back then was minimal enough that the procedure wasn't really a good idea, regardless of which surgeon you chose.

I tend to see blond hair as a bit of an asset when it comes to hair transplants, as it normally means that there's a low colour contrast between hair and scalp. I think that's true in your case. It should be noted that the hair in the donor area can often be somewhat coarser than at the hairline and there can be a slight difference in colour too. That could account for what you are seeing. Transplanted hairs in some cases change colour and texture slightly due to having been transplanted, so that's another possibility.

I think your hairline looks natural in the photos, but of course you can see things with your eyes that aren't captured by the camera. Just remember that we are all our own worst critics. I would be very surprised if anyone else notices anything unnatural about your hair.

So I think you could definitely benefit from a second procedure, if the frontal thinning is bothering you. The scar could be revised (basically the existing scar tissue could be removed with the new strip and the new closure would hopefully be superior) and the increase in density at the recipient area would hopefully disguise the hairs that you are unhappy with.

I use the words "could" and "hopefully" because it all depends on what the surgeon decides is possible.

With FUE, the surgeon would have more choice in which donor hairs to take, which could be beneficial.

You've every reason to feel positive about your goals being achievable.

Regarding Finasteride: you could have experienced a shed that will cease with the lost hairs re-growing, but it isn't uncommon for long-term Finasteride users to see reduced efficacy over time.

Thanks for all of the support everyone!

I'm trying to think positively about this. I'm just deathly afraid that my entire frontal forelock is thinning considerably, and then I'm really screwed. I definitely had a shedding period about a month ago that was consistent with a very stressful time in my life. Is it possible those hairs will grow back? The problem is that now I'm stressed 24/7 about my hair situation, it's a vicious cycle.

Having another FUT is a smart option in my opinion, because I'd love to try and revise the scar. However, I'm not comfortable with making the scar any longer. I may have to spread this out into two procedures, which sucks.

I went ahead and scheduled surgery with Dr. Cooley towards the end of December. I'm hoping things don't change drastically with my hair by then. I feel like I have to at least try to fix this problem, it has bothered me for SO long.

Can I really get a natural, full (appearing) head of hair that I can style anyway I want? I see so many amazing results on this site, but others that I would rather just shave my head with. And some are much more natural than others, which scares me due to my hair characteristics. Sorry for another long post, just looking for some reason to be optimistic.

Also, a few people have PM's me, but my PM isn't working. Just an FYI.

Technical question for the experts regarding strip scar size:

My current strip scar is about 14cm's long by .5-1cm wide. It's not too bad, but due to my hair characteristics, it's very hard to cover up even at a long length. When my hair gets wet, it is especially visible.

I am starting to feel optimistic about my upcoming procedure, but realize that to achieve my goals in the front, I will need at least 2000 grafts. Is this amount achievable without making my strip scar longer?

I really do not want to extend the scar into the sides of my head where I like to keep my hair short. I may have to spread this out into 2 sessions unfortunately.

I appreciate anyone's comments/expertise on the issue.

Thanks for all of the support everyone!

I'm trying to think positively about this. I'm just deathly afraid that my entire frontal forelock is thinning considerably, and then I'm really screwed. I definitely had a shedding period about a month ago that was consistent with a very stressful time in my life. Is it possible those hairs will grow back? The problem is that now I'm stressed 24/7 about my hair situation, it's a vicious cycle.

Having another FUT is a smart option in my opinion, because I'd love to try and revise the scar. However, I'm not comfortable with making the scar any longer. I may have to spread this out into two procedures, which sucks.

I went ahead and scheduled surgery with Dr. Cooley towards the end of December. I'm hoping things don't change drastically with my hair by then. I feel like I have to at least try to fix this problem, it has bothered me for SO long.

Can I really get a natural, full (appearing) head of hair that I can style anyway I want? I see so many amazing results on this site, but others that I would rather just shave my head with. And some are much more natural than others, which scares me due to my hair characteristics. Sorry for another long post, just looking for some reason to be optimistic.

Also, a few people have PM's me, but my PM isn't working. Just an FYI.

Cooley is a top 5 FUT surgeon in North America, probably globally actually. You're lucky he's nearby!

Yes, stress can induce a shed. I'm thinking that is the issue along with the normal seasonal shed we all go through around this time of year (July-August). When fin stops working in long term users it isn't a dramatic shut off like you're describing, they just notice that over time they are losing some ground as the drug stops halting loss as well as it had been.

These good FUT docs will remove the current scar as part of the new strip and then do a good closure for you, so no it doesn't have to get longer.

Technical question for the experts regarding strip scar size:

My current strip scar is about 14cm's long by .5-1cm wide. It's not too bad, but due to my hair characteristics, it's very hard to cover up even at a long length. When my hair gets wet, it is especially visible.

I am starting to feel optimistic about my upcoming procedure, but realize that to achieve my goals in the front, I will need at least 2000 grafts. Is this amount achievable without making my strip scar longer?

I really do not want to extend the scar into the sides of my head where I like to keep my hair short. I may have to spread this out into 2 sessions unfortunately.

I appreciate anyone's comments/expertise on the issue.

Damn 1cm is a huge scar, even .5cm is large for these top docs these days, most are no more then 3mm. Cooley will fix that for ya.

Thank you for the info Tofur! I am definitely VERY lucky that Cooley is close by.

I have added some new High Res pictures. The first one is me with dry hair, that shows the thinning in the immediate forelock. This is where I have lost ground recently, which has prompted me to seek help.

The rest are wet closeups of the temples and hairline that show some pitting and the transplanted hair. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

HR1.thumb.jpg.db3ca8c13d80bb2433c00160a30182b4.jpg

HR2.thumb.jpg.9a32473f47e779747085403022eaa983.jpg

HR3.thumb.jpg.806c192cacc552920f7bc194f972190c.jpg

HR4.thumb.jpg.bb6d3660a107f31707d04e43bdd08fae.jpg

Thank you for the info Tofur! I am definitely VERY lucky that Cooley is close by.

I have added some new High Res pictures. The first one is me with dry hair, that shows the thinning in the immediate forelock. This is where I have lost ground recently, which has prompted me to seek help.

The rest are wet closeups of the temples and hairline that show some pitting and the transplanted hair. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

I'm not sure about fixing the pitting, that's something to ask Cooley. If nothing else the added density will conceal it for you.

I think it won't even take 2k grafts to reinforce what you have here, 1500 would be solid. If you don't want the scar to get any longer at all then that does limit the amount of grafts that can be taken along with the existing scar. This depends on your donor and how dense it is and what kind of FU's are near the scar.

Bosley 15 years ago compared to Cooley today is like comparing a 1990 honda civic to a 2017 Mercedes Benz.

Here's a Cooley result I saved when I was researching docs (going with Gabel but Cooley was one of the other 2 on my short list):

1NpcSNc.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick update, I had an in person consultation with Ailene (Dr. Cooley's assistant) and Dr. Cooley last week. They spent over an hour with me and gave me clear cut, no bullshit advice and recommendations on my repair options. This is the second time I've met with them since an initial consultation back in 2009, and I could not be happier with their professionalism, care and correspondence.

Most of the news was positive. They will have to make the scar slightly longer, but I should have no problem yielding 2000 grafts with my current laxity. Also, there is a chance the scar width can be improved. Dr. Cooley was very confident that 2000 grafts would give me a strong, natural hairline.

I'm trying to think more positively about my current situation, and possible surgery outcomes. I'm still very stressed about negative results with the scar, and the grafts looking too thick or dark compared to my native hairline hair.

I still feel like I have no choice but to move forward, and am extremely fortunate to have such a great surgeon in my backyard. Please wish me luck everyone, surgery is set for 12/19. This forum has been a great resource, and I plan on giving back by documenting my progress/results.

Hoping to change my name to something different than "HTREGRETS" this time next year.

Good luck man! I think you are making the right decision. You are correct in saying that you are very lucky to have such a talented surgeon right in your back yard. Everything that I have seen and heard on Dr. Cooley has been impressive.

You could potentially change it to "HTSUCCESS" providing you are happy with the outcome of your next procedure.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It looks like you're on the right track and I really do think you're in good hands with Dr. Cooley. I'll be looking forward to a happy ending around this time next year - and a new screen name. :)

In the meantime, I would suggest using a different product for styling your hair that I think will really minimize the thinning look. As I looked at your first pictures, my first thought was how much better your hair would look if you used a paste of some sort that doesn't give your hair such a wet/separated look (which tends to highlight the hair loss)... Then I saw the last picture with your hair dry and it confirmed it for me. I use a product called Loma Forming Paste that you put in your hair after it's dry and it really helps give it volume and could help improve the look of density in your hair, but any sort of medium hold hair paste will do.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I would LOVE to change my name to "HTSUCCESS" this time next year.

I am feeling very confident that the work in the front of my hairline will look natural, and will cover my existing Bosley grafts. I'm hopeful that 2000 grafts will be sufficient in making my hair worries finally go away after 13 years of "bad" hair days.

Still, my dilemma is the scar. I see so many great results of FUE with no visible scarring at short hair lengths. I understand you can't shave with FUE, but I can't even get down to a 5/6 guard without the scar showing.

Am I greedy if I go for maximum grafts now and make the scar longer and run the risk of it stretching more? Should I use this procedure to potentially fix the scar and get a lower number of grafts and then follow up with an FUE procedure?

Still thinking positively about the outcome and putting this issue behind me, I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision on how to move forward. Any input is greatly appreciated.

pkipling - the first pictures are wet to show the extent of my hair loss. I typically style my hair dry, with hair spray like the last picture. This style worked for me for years until my frontal forelock recently receded and thinned - albeit only a small amount. I will definitely try the Loma Forming Paste though, thanks for the advice!

Edited by HTREGRETS
Answered additional question

I hope there are some that learn from my mistakes too. The Dr. was completely negligent, and I knew nothing about what I was getting myself into. I figured that everybody got this done, and you had an endless donor supply. I was young, naive, and freaked out about a little bit of temporal recession. I would do ANYTHING to reverse that decision.

I've been on fin for almost 15 years. It's held back most of my hair loss, but I've lost some ground in the very front of my front forelock. I'm not rushing into anything. I've been researching HT's for 13 years. I was hoping something new like HM would come out before I lost more hair, but that is not the case. I'm sick of thinking about my hair, hair loss, and hair transplants every second of every day, and want to attempt to get my life back. I really don't have a choice. Once you're cut, you're cut.

And now there is more potential for things to improve...;)

Gillenator