Countdown to my HT

HG1

Hi guys,

My first post here. Firstly I would like to thank all the people here who have posted about their experiences and shared their results.

I have a procedure booked with Asmed in Turkey in October. I have been thinking about a HT for around 5 years. During this time I have done quite a bit of research and taken in all the valuable advice and experiences others have gained. I'm going to document my progress and give honest feedback.

A little about myself. I have typical MPB, and have been gradually losing my hair for over 25 years, I'm now 50. I have always had a fairly high hairline, but was able to cover with a fringe etc. The last 5 years due to thinning, I have just been having it shaved off. I have been using fin for the last 6 months to try and stabilise things.

I Decided about 12 months ago, I was going to go for it. I grew my hair longer and gradually started to introduce hair fibres etc. The thought being less of change when the new hair kicks in. The hairfibres work well, and after much use, I have got the application down to a tee. I narrowed my search down to two clinics, totally ruling out the UK. My first consultation was with BHR in London earlier this year. I found communication was poor, and after agreeing timeslots, these kept getting changed although 'booked'. The consultation also felt a bit clinical with the Dr. I was told I needed 3000 grafts via FUT. not what I wanted to hear, as I don't want the linear scar, should I shave my head again. I know price, should not be a big factor, but told afterwards that 20% tax is added in Belgium to the costs. Anyway, I then contacted my second choice of Asmed in Turkey. Communication was and is excellent, pricing is clear and the results are always excellent. I sent my photos to Asmed and advised I need 5000 grafts over two days to restore the hairline, midscalp and crown. It's what I expected, and is still much cheaper than BHR with an extra 2000 grafts to boot. I have booked 2 weeks off work and hope to work from home for another two weeks. I would appreciate any advise or help that you see fit. As I said I will share my journey, which hopefully will enable others to decide their future.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

Don't have any advice, as I am still learning the ropes myself. I leave that to the experts. But, I appreciate your aesthetic interest at this age. Wish you a pain free procedure, a breezy recovery and a great result.

Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough.

3444 Strip Grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187543-1-st-hair-transplant-strip-surgery-dr-radha-rani-complete-dossier.html

My Androgenic Alopecia Scrapbook

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/188027-hair-wars-may-follicles-you.html

Hi Mayirap0chu,

That's the nicest way anyone has ever called me an old 'fart' . Plenty of life left in this 'old dog'.

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

Hi home1212,

See below.

Can anyone advise if they have had issues taking euros to Turkey as its outside the EU. I understand you are only allowed to take €10,000 without declaring?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2626.thumb.JPG.f169f97f70d940df231d31c39775f6b2.JPG

IMG_2652.thumb.JPG.3a6b70611322bd355d1cd1e83663fadf.JPG

Well certainly not a drug dealer. I was just asking what others have experienced or if they have any thoughts on the matter. I have no issue declaring.

HG1 Hahahaha!

No! I certainly didn't mean it that way. It's just a cultural difference. Here in the east, at 50, no one cares about looking good. In fact, most people don't care about the way they look once they are married. I would like to keep myself younger by ten years than I actually I am, even when I am 70. Not just the hair, but the body, mind, attitude. So, when I read you are 50, I was able to appreciate it.

Edited by MayiraP0chu

Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough.

3444 Strip Grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187543-1-st-hair-transplant-strip-surgery-dr-radha-rani-complete-dossier.html

My Androgenic Alopecia Scrapbook

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/188027-hair-wars-may-follicles-you.html

Hi Cheddar,

No to be honest I didn't, mainly because after reading literally 100s of peoples HT experiences its usually different For each individual. From my research, it's very common for shock loss to occur, especially on high numbers of transplants (5000 in my case). My thought is the transplanted hair will shed after about a month and I will suffer shock loss to the existing hair. I will look terrible up until about month 4, when hopefully things will improve. I've read many posts of people who are obsessive and paranoid that things aren't progressing as they should, even after only four weeks post Op :confused: A HT is a 12 to 18 month journey, and it's important to accept this prior, for your own sanity.

On another note, I sent Asmed the deposit nearly a week ago visa bank transfer and as yet they are unable to confirm receipt. Anyone else had this issue?

Regards

Thanks Scoobyht123 for the reply, put my mind at ease.

On a different note, have you any concerns about travelling home (presume you don't live in Istanbul), after the procedure. I have no fears about the pain, or parting with €12500 euro, only my appearance on route home. Call it vanity, just concerned I will look like Quasimodo. Will you be wearing a hat, or going for the world to see your wounds? How many grafts are you having and when is your operation scheduled?

Regards

I'm having 5000 so there's no doubt i will look like Quasimodo.

I'm staying in Istanbul for a few days after the surgery so i'm hoping with a lot of ice that the swelling will mostly gone. I've got a bucket hat that i'm going to take with me and will ask Dr. Erdogan if he thinks that it will be safe to fly in it.

I'm booked in for the 1st November! Not long to go, still doesn't feel like its happening!

Hi scoobyht123,

I will be a few days ahead of you. Hope you have a great procedure and you achieve your goal. Are you from the Uk?

I still can't believe it myself after years of debating. Looking forward to next summer when I should be seeing change ( 7 or 8 months post op), roll on 2018. :D

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any questions I will do my best to help answer/ support you. Just drop me a message with any questions and will get back to you if you need it. The questions about money and the flight home were some of the concerns I had when I went to Asmed in January. Cheers stuart

If you have any questions I will do my best to help answer/ support you. Just drop me a message with any questions and will get back to you if you need it. The questions about money and the flight home were some of the concerns I had when I went to Asmed in January. Cheers stuart

Shanson are you happy with your results so far from January? I think the last time you updated your thread was at 5 months and things seemed pretty good already to say the least!

Shanson are you happy with your results so far from January? I think the last time you updated your thread was at 5 months and things seemed pretty good already to say the least!

It's going ok, still needs to thicken and blend more with my hair. I am just at 7 months now. Of course I would like more hair. I have found that Asmed are not great at getting back in touch with questions etc. Others have said they are good at this but I have found it not to be the case.

Hopefully the growth hasn't stopped but haven't really seen much that I have noticed since month 5-6.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm just under a month from a planned 5000 fue with Asmed in Turkey. Can anyone offer any advice or preparation they feel would benefit me?

Up till a month ago I wore my hair about 30 mm or 1.25 inches on top and shaved to around 10 mm or .25 inches at back and sides. I used concealer on the top and although having quite a high hairline and temple recession it looked ok for a guy of 50. I have since shaved it all off, and have just been trimming sides and back. Just been using a tiny bit of dermamatch to keep the scalp shine to a minimum. Hopefully with people used to the new look, it won't be as obvious when I return home post op. I have not told anyone of my up coming procedure. I have noticed a big improvement in the crown area, since starting to take fin on a regular basis. No sides either, which is good. I can't tell you how good it is not to be a concealer slave! Whilst it does a great job, it is time consuming to maintain.

I have purchased a few loose fitting type fishing hats to give me options on the return journey and will look at other winter hats prior to leaving to get me through the fugly phase when going out in public. Luckily I have 3.5 weeks off work after the op. Hopefully things will have settled down by then. My plan is to tell anyone who mentions the redness that it's scalp psoriasis. I've timed the op to coincide with the cold weather when wearing a hat does not seem out of the ordinary.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals.

I have just finished having 5000 grafts placed by Dr Koray and his wonderful team (26/10/17)

A little about myself -

* UK resident

* 50 years old

* suffering from hair loss since 21

* Norwood 5/6

* Using Fin and biotin

I have been thinking about a procedure for over 5 years. I have gradually been shaving my hair shorter and shorter to try and hide the receding and thining hair. My hairline was non existent. This forum gave me the desire and confidence to go for it after reading and seeing some great results. After much research it was clear the reviews on UK clinics are very mixed. I narrowed my choice down to BHR in Brussels and Asmed in Istanbul.

I could not find any negative reviews for Asmed, so Asmed it was. The pricing structure is clear and simple. My initial correspondence was with a young lady called Sema. She was very pro active and she answered all my queries quickly and efficiently. Others have documented the travel and hotel arrangements so I will skip this.

The clinic is very modern in a nice part of town. All the staff are well groomed and ultra friendly. Sema was my translator and general carer whilist at the clinic together with another lady called Suzanna. They were absolutely amazing to me. I felt like royalty as they catered for my every need. All the staff are great however. On day 1 I met Dr Koray for the consultation. I had photos taken from all angles. My head was then shaved and I was sent to meet the Dr. What I found interesting is the you are in close proximity to other patients who have already started on their journey, I must admit It felt a bit surreal but very enlightening. He advised I had around 7450 grafts potentially, with a likely hood of around an average of 2.10 hairs to each graft. I was surprised as I thought I would struggle to get 5000. He then designed my hairline. When I looked in the mirror, I was gobsmacked, it was perfect. On day 2 my hairline was again looked at this time with a lazer and the input of a senior member of staff called Bilek (hope that is the correct spelling). They spent quite a while debating it and a small adjustment was made. Again I was very pleased with the line. My head was then shaved again and I was led for surgery. 2500 grafts were placed in the front forehead area, leaving 2500 for the vertex and crown. The day went quite quickly interrupted by lunch. I was then bandaged up and returned to the hotel after having 10 minutes lazer treatment. Day 2 was very similar and I found it much easier and less painful, other than having a sore upper back. This was quickly sorted by Dr Umat, with a drip and pain relief. I again had lazer treatment and returned to the hotel. Tomorrow I will be having a wash prior to going to the airport. Once I get home I will add all the photos and statistics. My actual hair count per graft was above 2.10, I think around 2.25 which is good news.

I'm very confident of an excellent result. A few points I would like to make. I have read slight criticisms of people having to complete forms for marketing purposes, thinking this was over the top. I simply answered a few standard questions like if I was a member of a forum and how I had heard of the clinic. This is normal in the U.K. Anyway it took a few minutes and was simple. I have also read Dr Umat is at times solemn and scary. Utter rubbish, the guy is very friendly and professional. Lastly all the ladies are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. I cannot speak any more highly of Dr Koray and his team (specially Sema and Suzanne).

Hi guys,

Thought I would just provide a quick update on my progress. I will upload some pre and post op pics when I collect my laptop from work. These are the professional ones taken at Asmed. In the meantime I will upload a few I took in the hotel, just need to suss out how to hide my identity in case all my friends are members :D.

Just reading through my last post, I don't think I emphasised how professional, passionate and caring the staff at Asmed are. I genuinely felt I was amongst old friends even after a couple of hours. Not sure what Dr Koray does to his staff, but they are all incredibly motivated and dedicated. Everyone always had a smile on their face, and nothing was too much trouble.(again special thanks to the lovely Sema and equal lovely Suzanna who were just incredible)

Anyway, I'm 2 days post op, on the vertex and crown and 3 days on the hairline. I can't really say I have had any real pain, sleep has also been ok - considering I'm using a neck pillow. Just on this, I purchased my own neck pillow prior to flying out from a company called 'soak and sleep' it was 10 pound sterling via Amazon. People reported the pillow supplied by Asmed kept going down in the night. I would highly recommend the one I purchased. My face is very swollen, but I feel good in myself overall. Yesterday I felt weak, as if a flu was coming on. My hairline which was very densely packed as was previously non existent is very red still - it did have 2500 grafts placed however. Below are my stats -

Total grafts 5024

Average hair per graft 2.33

Percentage rounded up / down

628 single = 12%

2372 double = 47%

1783 triple = 35%

230 Quadruple = 4%

11 Quintuple = 2%

To be honest, I can't believe I've had it done. I'm a very private person, who doesn't like fuss. Another thing to note, I really hope I do have a full shed and a gradual growth as at the moment its quite obvious I've had a procedure, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this point :D

Still delighted with my new hairline, it will look fabulous in 6 months fingers crossed.

Would appreciate any comments on the stats, as they were a lot better than I antiscipated.

I would also like to add a quick thank you to all the members who have documented their own journey especially Deb1982, Justjax and Yaz89