Hair system too dense? Incorrect colour

Seanyy210

Hi all I had my first system fitted at the start of July. However I am not too happy with it. The colour is too dark (medium brown) and it seems too dense and wig-like. I have since sent it back to get the colour lightened and the system repaired (it got all tangled).

I have posted a few pics of both the system and my hair before the system was installed. Please note my hair is dyed in the previous photos. (I'm naturally very dark mousy blonde).

I spent ?400 on this system, so I would be very thankful for your advice and opinions.

621201723742.thumb.jpg.a67c674f3b2c82c86dbffbb79d73f43f.jpg

621201723133.thumb.jpg.3e665e3bd8f691cbe3c9123c9c5c4bbc.jpg

6272017191245.thumb.jpg.bf9c3963fe0d14cfbd086c746361b614.jpg

61201710419.thumb.jpg.8d33ff6da05b599fd19a5e66c5db4857.jpg

5232017163911.thumb.jpg.bb4396e39df4ac1f6f0459867a503fe2.jpg

520201718521.thumb.jpg.7b99595c4c9073de88d83760fe083ad3.jpg

57201717410.thumb.jpg.ffdc08cba6ce42aa4eee540c92ab3485.jpg

4312017184927.thumb.jpg.ab7252c22dc9f28d12ace3bf361cec62.jpg

Thanks for your input! I'm going to get in touch with the supplier and ask to reduce the density.

I'm only 21 years old and a poor university student (I graduate next summer). Therefore I don't have the thousands of pounds necessary for a transplant.

I have attached a photo which shows the extent of my hair loss.

I think your knocking yourself over nothing. I know each person has their own likes and dislikes. But to me the original pics look fine. I myself have thought about it for years. I'm 52 though. I have been to 3 different HT physicians and have chosen 1 I have thick and plenty of donor hair to use. It didn't really bother me until people started giving me the senior discounts everywhere I went...lol

Your real hair looks pretty good for now - except for the hairstyle you have emulated.

I think you would look just fine with a less extreme version of the 'I just saw a ghost' look.

Seriously.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I can see nothing in the photos that makes me think "wig." The only problem I see is that is too long and stylish. I think the key with both transplants and hair systems it to be unremarkable, or ordinary.

You hair in these pics looks great, long, and stylish. I would look at your hair if I saw you on the street. This could get you to thinking that people can tell it is a wig, when it reality, they are thinking, wow, dude has great hair.

Hair that no one would look at is where it is at.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That photo of you holding the wine glass is the best look - hair up but not too radical and no frayed ends.

You don't want too much of a good thing like this guy.

Eraserhead_1977_Nance_cropped.jpg

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Listen to Spanker's wisdom. Yes it is tempting to have the attention grabbing cool hair, but you just need to tone it down some and bring less attention to your hair. Subtle is good when wearing a system. Maybe work out and bring attention to muscular arms or a six pack...and think of your hair as more of background feature that is no longer a downer feature.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Personally I'd say it looks just that bit "too good". At age 21 (some 20 years ago...) I had hair not far off that thickness and I used to get compliments all the time. But if you're wearing a piece then any comments/compliments will make you feel nervous and you'll be asking yourself why people are noticing your hair.

So the best thing is to tone it down.

It does look way too thick if you ask me. But I wonder - if you thin it down, say to 70% density, does it mean that the base layer will show?

BTW I don't wear a piece yet. I am still using fibres and concealers, even though I am way more bald than you! I should really get a piece ASAP though.

Maybe I should ask what density was used for the system and ask it be reduced. I never chose it myself (density). The company took a sample of my natural hair and that was it. I want a full head of hair but not for it to look wiggy and too thick!

• 1 month later...

I think a little lower density and you might be happier with it. Also it will thin out over time. You can have a stylist thin it with thinning shears to make it less dense. That will leave some small hairs sticking out the piece but no one will see it if you style right. Wearing is pretty cool in my opinion when you get some of the details that right. That being said you might notice the difference more than anyone else. I was a diffuse norwood three when I started wearing and 99 percent of people didn't bat an eye.

With the extent of your hairloss at your young age I would be hesitant to go down the HT route as it would be a long and stressful one for you. If you are fine wearing a wig then I think that is a great idea for you man, just find a really good one you like.

• 1 month later...

I think most of the young guns feel more is better. Being critical (in a helpful way) the density is too much. When I look at your head-on, the right side of the photo (Your left side)- the skinny sides meet the base of your system. If your sides where fuller I think you could pull it off. Or to state it another way, if your system was less dense it would be more convincing.

I favor the concealer products, especially for you. You still have a significant amount of your own hair. With practice they can be so convincing you could inspect it closely and not suspect there is anything actually boosting your apparent density. If you try one. Don't do it the first time you are going out. Try it at home. When I first used them, I kept feeling more was better. Then a little more... a little more... just another bit and BAM it crossed the line into looking like I have stuff in my hair. So practice.

If you wear a system for a while, you will sell yourself that big density is not a problem. Once that happens, you'll never be satisfied with your own hair, even with concealers.

If concealers feel like too much work, then consider SMP. It will also minimize the contrast between the fair skin on your scalp and your darker hair. It works for more than just the stubble look.

TIP: With either concealers or SMP don't try to make a lower hairline. People will be staring at your hair for sure. Not in a good way.

Final thoughts. I love the photos you posted. Dude, you have the swagger! You look confident and to me it seems like you are having fun trying new things with your hair.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

Spanker made a fantastic point about the ideal look being "unremarkable/ordinary", especially when it comes to a hair system. You don't want it to look too good to be true, which is currently does.

I personally don't think your actual hair looks that bad and think with the right style/fibers/product/etc. you could really make that work for you - and feel a lot less self-conscious in the process.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Seanyy210,

Firstly remember your not on your own in this situation, most men will face this issue. Obviously you are very young, and it must get you down. Take heart there are options out there to help your situation. From the pics, the system looks ok to me, you probably pull it off due to your youthful features. I would not be able to wear a system, as I would be self conscious. As pointed out you have the 'swagger' to carry it off. Have you looked at medication? I think this could be a good option. Also the use of concealer is a great option as you have plenty of hair left for it to bind to. I used concealer for a number of years and if managed and applied properly works great. Dermamatch is good for toning down scalp shine, where as the various hair fibres add volume and shine. Give it a bash, cheap solution to hair loss.

5024 grafts with Asmed Clinic. Dr Koray 25th & 26th Oct 2017

Those who spend their time looking for the faults in others usually make no time to correct their own. –Art Janak

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187649-countdown-my-hair-transplant.html

• 5 weeks later...

Being honest, I think it looks a bit fake. Now, if I saw you on the street, I might not think that, but since I'm looking for it, I can tell. It's like others said above, you went TOO thick and stylish. And it seems to jut out too much from the sides, as if it is maybe too big for your head.

I agree with the others that based on your actual hair pics above, you could grow it out and use some fibers and be totally good to go, though yes that would be temporary, as loss continues.

Or maybe you could go for a more modest look with your system. Unremarkable is the right advice. If you toned down that system a few degrees, it could be right on the money. But it seems like you are already contacting the company to do just that, so great luck and let us know how it goes!

• 4 weeks later...

Seanny,

I have to agree with most of our members who are saying that the hair system looks a bit unnatural, mostly due to its density and height. I suggest going for something a bit thinner but still thick enough to emulate a full head of hair.

I'm just wondering given your current natural head of hair and age, why you don't consider a hair transplant? It will never be as thick as the photos you are showcasing, but you could get a real natural, thick and REAL head of hair through surgery that never has to be maintained other than the kind of maintenance normal hair needs. Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi I am definitely considering it within the next 6 months. On my first thread iv told my donor hair looks weak however I have really thick donor hair it’s only because I cut to grade 1 the day before photos. Iv just ordered Rogaine which I will be starting tomorrow (I wasn’t going to start anything that gives any side effects) but I am helpless now. Is dr farjo any good in London ? Who would you recommend in Turkey ? Money is not issue as long as get my hair back. I would be looking to get around 7000 grafts?