25 years old, considering a HT in Turkey.

Hi,

I just need pro's and con's for whether I should do a HT or not, given my age.

I used fin for about 14 months, then stopped due to loss in libido, It killed my lust for sex pretty badly (could still get it up tho) so Im now 4 weeks off propecia fully. Im thinking about starting again at maybe 1.25mg EOD or smaller doses each day. I haven't noticed any hairloss since I started taking fin 14 months ago, but not any regrowth either. I didnt notice the hairloss until I was 23/24 then I started researching, and made the decision to jump on fin. My hairline went to shit and have been like this since.

However im really considering a HT in Turkey by Dr. Demirsoy. I'd need about 2800-3200 grafts according to him (and several other surgeons I've been in contact with).

However, im slightly worried with going through a procedure like this given my age. Therefor im seeking advice here. I really just want to restore my hairline/templates. My crown isn't really an issue for me. Is this problematic later on? I'm not against another HT later down the road when/if needed. But I feel like this hairloss is taking over my life, and I dont really see myself bother with a HT at 35 (or later) then I'd rather just go bald tbh. These are supposed to be my young good years, and it's tough as hell to be a NW2/3 at 25...

Please - give me your tought on what you would do in my situation.

See pics attatched (taken today, with no hairstyling in my hair, directly under light).

Br

wtbhair

20504195_10210250684526920_1082772999_n.jpg.1414013a01e8b1909ce29984c36821b5.jpg

20562023_10210250684806927_1557256023_n.jpg.0e397f174730e2165fa55b31cdf16195.jpg

20562798_10210250684886929_1162060544_n.jpg.5655d0a4dc4ce4efd425d9cb6e5007dd.jpg

20562902_10210250684326915_243829667_n.jpg.c9afa56ff3c0b7b5a684c1700d5cd143.jpg

Edited by wtbhair2k

Hi Wtbhair,

A successful HT will give you back your confidence and self esteem therefore enabling you to kickstart your life again during the years when you should be out there making things happen. I have seen this in other patients similar in age to you and they swear that it was the best thing they ever did. Your actions now will most probably shape your future therefore it's important that you are in the best shape mentally to give it your best shot.

Think of it as another hurdle in life, confront it, deal with it, put it to bed and move on...........stronger!

At 25, you are on the young side and your hair loss is yet to stablise, you could be heading for a NW5/6. Your future hair loss is uncertain so you need to be sensible and think ahead as you will most certainly need a further procedure (or 2) further down the line. But if your hairloss is affecting you now then I feel it is right for you to address it now and not to wait and prolong the mental suffering.

It's difficult to tell from the pics but I would personally recommend at your age approximately 2000-2300 grafts to restore and strengthen your hairline. I'm not so sure about your temples, will need a better pic. You don't want to go gungho, keep some precious grafts banked. You also do have the option of using beard (underside of chin) and chest grafts alongside scalp grafts either now or for a future procedure.

Take a look at my UK patient below, your post actually reminded me of him.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185576-dr-bhatti-9-months-result-uk-patient-24-years-old-2218-fue-grafts.html

He was 24 years old when his procedure was carried out, I received the following reply from him last week when I asked him how he was getting along after nearly 18 months,

"Everything is great pal still rocking with my new hair. Like I tell everyone best thing I ever done probably best thing I will ever have done"

I would say the majority of successful hair transplant patients would say the same thing.

As for the Fin, why don't you try having the 1mg tab every other day. Give it a few weeks, if it still causes you problems then try halving the dose. I suppose having some is better for your hair than not having any.

I hope that helps you, feel free to contact me if you feel I can help you further.

I wish you all the best, keep your chin up.

Edited by Shera

Hi Wtbhair,

A successful HT will give you back your confidence and self esteem therefore enabling you to kickstart your life again during the years when you should be out there making things happen. I have seen this in other patients similar in age to you and they swear that it was the best thing they ever did. Your actions now will most probably shape your future therefore it's important that you are in the best shape mentally to give it your best shot.

Think of it as another hurdle in life, confront it, deal with it, put it to bed and move on...........stronger!

At 25, you are on the young side and your hair loss is yet to stablise, you could be heading for a NW5/6. Your future hair loss is uncertain so you need to be sensible and think ahead as you will most certainly need a further procedure (or 2) further down the line. But if your hairloss is affecting you now then I feel it is right for you to address it now and not to wait and prolong the mental suffering.

It's difficult to tell from the pics but I would personally recommend at your age approximately 2000-2300 grafts to restore and strengthen your hairline. I'm not so sure about your temples, will need a better pic. You don't want to go gungho, keep some precious grafts banked. You also do have the option of using beard (underside of chin) and chest grafts alongside scalp grafts either now or for a future procedure.

Take a look at my UK patient below, your post actually reminded me of him.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185576-dr-bhatti-9-months-result-uk-patient-24-years-old-2218-fue-grafts.html

He was 24 years old when his procedure was carried out, I received the following reply from him last week when I asked him how he was getting along after nearly 18 months,

"Everything is great pal still rocking with my new hair. Like I tell everyone best thing I ever done probably best thing I will ever have done"

I would say the majority of successful hair transplant patients would say the same thing.

As for the Fin, why don't you try having the 1mg tab every other day. Give it a few weeks, if it still causes you problems then try halving the dose. I suppose having some is better for your hair than not having any.

I hope that helps you, feel free to contact me if you feel I can help you further.

I wish you all the best, keep your chin up.

thank you for taking time to reply to my questions. Im gonna start adding fin slowly again to see if I can prevent any sides. Can you tell me more about the potential shock loss that can occur for patients younger than 25? Is this something of a concern? Im turning 26 in january and wont be able to get a HT before October/November. I read that especially patients younger than 25 was in danger of this. Ill assume fin will counteract this to some extent? Also would it be less of a risk to only get the front fixed bow, rather than filling front, mid-scalp and crown, in regards to end up "funny-looking" later on? Appreciate the help!!

thank you for taking time to reply to my questions. Im gonna start adding fin slowly again to see if I can prevent any sides. Can you tell me more about the potential shock loss that can occur for patients younger than 25? Is this something of a concern? Im turning 26 in january and wont be able to get a HT before October/November. I read that especially patients younger than 25 was in danger of this. Ill assume fin will counteract this to some extent? Also would it be less of a risk to only get the front fixed bow, rather than filling front, mid-scalp and crown, in regards to end up "funny-looking" later on? Appreciate the help!!

Hello again.

As far as I understand, the risk of potential shockloss is not dependent upon your age, it is dependent on the current state of your native hair surrounding your implantation recipient area at the time of your hair transplant surgery and is caused by the trauma of surgery. If the hairs surrounding the recipient area are in a state of continuing miniaturisation meaning they were going to die out over time anyway, then they are at greater risk of permanent shockloss. The surgery will just speed things up. It also must be noted that permanent shockloss is quite rare in patients but it is important that you know and understand the risk prior to any surgery. If your native hairs are healthy then they should return as normal over the coming months.

The general consensus is that it may take 3-4 months before you experience any benefits of Finasteride usage. The Finasteride should help restrict DHT levels in your scalp thus helping to sustain and somewhat reverse the miniaturising process in your native hair. I have seen evidence of this and in some cases patients who were dead set on surgery to their crown area have decided after several months of Finasteride usage not to go down the surgery route........for the time being. However you must also understand that once you decide to stop using Finasteride, it is highly likely that the balding process will again speed up. Understandably it's a difficult decision to make, do you want to be on Finasteride for the foreseeable future?

If like you say you have decided to try out Finasteride, then I would hold out on making a decision with regards to the finer points of any proposed surgery until you see how/if the Finasteride usage benefits you.

One thing is fairly certain though, you will need to be conservative with any surgery, it's probably best not to entertain grand designs of lowering your natural hairline etc.

Again I hope that makes sense to you.

Wtb,

I think this is a tough one given the amount of hair you still have and your age. At 25 years old, you are definitely on the younger side and you also still have a lot of hair on top of your head. Firstly, I advise getting the advice of a qualified physician. But if I were you, I would consider possibly undergoing a smaller procedure to re-define the hairline and frontal third of the scalp. Keep in mind, I would not go for an aggressive hairline, I would keep it conservative, but by rebuilding it, you could restore the appearance of thickness in the frontal third while keeping a good amount of hair in reserve for future hair transplant.

The reality is, at 25 years old and signs of hair loss all over the scalp, although minimal, it's very possible that you're going to lose a lot of hair especially if you do not go back to using Propecia, which I can understand given the circumstances.

At this point, I would not consider adding any hair into the crown or the mid scalp region because you already have a good amount of density and the shock of surgery might expedite hair loss in those areas.

In Turkey, we do recommend a number of excellent physicians. I would encourage you to click from the drop-down list on the right-hand side bar of this forum and from the one drop down that lists location, choose "turkey" to see who we recommend. Click on any of the surgeons names to learn more and to see examples of the results.

Best wishes,

Bill

I am also 25 and just had a transplant, we are in the prime years of our lives to utilize our looks. Get it done, in a few years when you need a touch up hopefully more viable treatments will be available with no side effects like fin. If not a second transplant wouldn't hurt.

Wtb,

I think this is a tough one given the amount of hair you still have and your age. At 25 years old, you are definitely on the younger side and you also still have a lot of hair on top of your head. Firstly, I advise getting the advice of a qualified physician. But if I were you, I would consider possibly undergoing a smaller procedure to re-define the hairline and frontal third of the scalp. Keep in mind, I would not go for an aggressive hairline, I would keep it conservative, but by rebuilding it, you could restore the appearance of thickness in the frontal third while keeping a good amount of hair in reserve for future hair transplant.

The reality is, at 25 years old and signs of hair loss all over the scalp, although minimal, it's very possible that you're going to lose a lot of hair especially if you do not go back to using Propecia, which I can understand given the circumstances.

At this point, I would not consider adding any hair into the crown or the mid scalp region because you already have a good amount of density and the shock of surgery might expedite hair loss in those areas.

In Turkey, we do recommend a number of excellent physicians. I would encourage you to click from the drop-down list on the right-hand side bar of this forum and from the one drop down that lists location, choose "turkey" to see who we recommend. Click on any of the surgeons names to learn more and to see examples of the results.

Best wishes,

Bill

hi, and thanks for taking the time to reply. I just started fin again yesterday. Gonna try taking it every 4th day for 2months, then repeat with every 3rd day, down til EOD eventually. If I where to undergo a HT i will do it the conservative way and only restore the front, that's whats bothering me the most about my hairloss. Crown ill leave completely. Do you recommend not touching the mid-scalp at all? Or is a little bit ok? Tbh I just want my front/templates to be fixed and Ill be more than pleased.

How has balding affected your relatives? Would you be able to guess what your hair would look like in 10 years?

Also, have you tried buzz-cutting it? I always found when my hair was really short was that I didn't think about it anymore.

Another thing and more holistically, some people have had improvement with scalp massage and an anti-inflammatory diet. It might help you keep your hair. It's certainly improved my diffuse hair loss and made me healthier.

I'm only here because I still get emails from the forum. :)

If you go for the HT, like the others have said go for a conservative hairline and I think you'd be fine.

Best regards.

I'm 23 and i can say as well it truly is devastating to be balding at such a young age. It makes you more reluctant to go out and become like a hermit. If you are going for a transplant in turkey, i would probably suggest erdogan as he one of the best in europe. However he may tell you to go on finasteride for 6-8 months like he did for me.

Try finasteride at 0.25 mg and see how you go, if you stabilise and you're comfortable go for it. No reason to go through your 20s as a baldite just to stop the people who waited till their 30s being jealous. Wouldn't touch the crown though.