FUT after 1000 graft FUE?

kuboid

Hi guys,

So I have had an FUT done a few years ago and thinking of going for another surgery to increase density. My doctor says around 1000 grafts will be sufficient.

Now I'm in a bit of a dilemma if I should opt for FUE or FUT as my second procedure.

I know I will need a third surgery down the road; so would a 1000 graft FUE done now in any way affect a future FUT?

My donor density is a little less than average at 70/sqcm.

Hoping someone can help me out here

You need to post more info. Norwood level, family history of hairloss, are you taking meds, and post pictures. All of this info will help members of the forum suggest an informed surgical plan. These are all factors your HT surgeon should be talking about, too.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• Moderators

Why go for FUE if you already have the FUT scar?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You need to post more info. Norwood level, family history of hairloss, are you taking meds, and post pictures. All of this info will help members of the forum suggest an informed surgical plan. These are all factors your HT surgeon should be talking about, too.

I have diffuse hairloss in a norwood III pattern probably.

Yes I am on medications, dutasteride + finasteride + minox since 10 years. Hairloss pretty stable thanks to the meds.

Just need a small amount of grafts to thicken density in the frontal third and perhaps the crown. Since my doctor said id need around 1200 grafts, i though i may as well get an fue done. Only because i dont want to go through an extended healing period with FUT.

I'm assuming your considering FUE to avoid another scar but plan on having another FUT scar down the road? A relatively small 1,000 graft FUE would avoid another FUT scar. You might want to consider FUE from here on out and possibly cover your current FUT scar. A skilled FUE surgeon could do that if your interested. Best of luck to you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Well we did just returned from Greece in late June, one of 13 part of the faculty of "World FUE Institute Workshop" and only three from the United States, where Dr Shapiro lectured on hairlines and Dr Joe preformed a live surgery.

Dr Shapiro also is behind the last three major textbooks, 4th, 5th and the upcoming 6th edition, but whether it's FUT or FUE, density is density, 70-90 is probably the average and on the sides and near the hairline even less.

In regard to our FUE, Dr Ron Shapiro doesn't extract the grafts but we have a doctor that specializes in our extractions, Dr Joe, and Dr Paul has been training over the last few years.

Something we offer that is quite unique which I don't believe anyone else does in the industry, is with larger cases of 2000plus, we have two doctors work on one patient; one to focus on the recipient area and the other to focus and labor on the donor.

This might change in time.....but one patient and two doctor's what care!

Edited by Zup

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Hi guys,

So I have had an FUT done a few years ago and thinking of going for another surgery to increase density. My doctor says around 1000 grafts will be sufficient.

Now I'm in a bit of a dilemma if I should opt for FUE or FUT as my second procedure.

I know I will need a third surgery down the road; so would a 1000 graft FUE done now in any way affect a future FUT?

My donor density is a little less than average at 70/sqcm.

Hoping someone can help me out here

It appears you have the option of doing another FUT of an FUE this time around. As other have suggested you could do another FUT because you already have a linear scar. You noted that you would prefer a shorter post operative healing period and that is why you are leaning towards FUE. That is not a problem.

The only issue you may run into is that it may be challenging to hide the linear scar in the short term while your has has been shaved short for the FUE extractions. You might want to consider doing the "non-shaven" FUE. This way you could maintain your current hairstyle and still get the FUE. Dr. Harris in Colorado has been doing this for a while. We are also doing it here at Shapiro Medical Group. There might also be physician near you as well.

The density of 70 should not be a problem unless the donor area becomes very depleted. A physician can evaluate that for you.

Also, if you ever want to do an FUT later, the FUE now should not hinder that procedure. Again, an exam by a hair physician would be your best bet.

This still doesn't explain why Dr. Shapiro is wrong on what the average donor density is. He's one of the most experienced hair restoration surgeons and the method of extraction has nothing to do with understanding density.

HLS2015,

The forum can be nasty, in starting a exchange, but I hear what you are saying.....however, our doctors don't dissect the donor with FUT either our technician do, but Dr. Shapiro understands the best approach and method to do it.

And, we didn't hire a doctor to do it, we felt he was one of the most promising young doctor out there and we brought Dr Joe on board to grow with us and he embraced FUE.

With Dr Shapiro presence at world conferences and respect within the industry, FUE elite who started FUE before most, have embrace him and been forthcoming in share their experience and techniques ,just like he has shared what he has been doing with FUT over 25plus years.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna