HT Hairline Repair/Removal - Dr. Steven Gabel

LMC

You really are an ass in literally half of your posts. It doesn't look very noticeable and it's been TWO MONTHS. Skin/scars can take 12-24 months to fully heal and mature.

I've had over 50 inboxes from people asking me for help, thanking me for helping them and also being open and honest about controversial issues that other people avoid speaking up on in general. I know for a fact that my posts are helpful so I'll continue to be honest here so anyone who is considering a similar option in these circumstances doesn't just listen to the yes men. It looks bad and if you're acting as if waiting TWO YEARS of his life for it to "heal and mature" is acceptable while looking currently very, very noticeable and odd then I can do nothing but laugh at you. Even if he waits that long there are no guarantees. Would you feel confident going on a first date with a massive strip of damage like that exposed on your forehead? I certainly wouldn't.

He's swapped an easily repairable density issue for a much larger issue that is significantly harder to fix. Particularly on a case where I know full well what most people are thinking but refusing to say like this it's worthwhile putting it out there.

Not sure what's relevant about how many people have "inboxed you asking for help".

So let me guess, your view of an easily repairable density issue is putting another 2,000 grafts into an inch of hairline when this guy has already had 4,000 taken out? :rolleyes:

His pic from 12-3-17 does not show a massive strip of damage....and micro-needling/laser can significantly clear up any issues versus chasing density issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what's relevant about how many people have "inboxed you asking for help".

So let me guess, your view of an easily repairable density issue is putting another 2,000 grafts into an inch of hairline when this guy has already had 4,000 taken out? :rolleyes:

I specifically mentioned it because you acted like all I'm doing is trying to be an asshole, when the reality is I'm trying to help other readers, and know for a fact that a significant number of other people find what I say helpful. I can guarantee no one gives a shit about your snowflake, feelgood blather which at the end of the day isn't honest and helps no one.

This could have been corrected by 1500-2000 grafts easily by someone as capable as Gabel. Considering the stability of OPs hairloss long term it would have been a safe option. His current situation is of higher risk, looks bad and put him on the hook for further funds to correct a situation that isn't a guaranteed fix.

What an amazing observation! I’m sure that never occurred to Dr. Gabel. Or, more likely, he and the patient decided under the present circumstances that this was the better course of action based on a number of considerations unknown to you when you made your non-professional opinion. I defer to you, though....you talk tough and call people snowflakes from Australia (and you are 23 years old, at that).

By the way, you can give helpful advice and still be an asshole.

• Thanks 1

What an amazing observation! I’m sure that never occurred to Dr. Gabel. Or, more likely, he and the patient decided under the present circumstances that this was the better course of action based on a number of considerations unknown to you when you made your non-professional opinion. I defer to you, though....you talk tough and call people snowflakes from Australia.

By the way, you can give helpful advice and still be an asshole.

OP made it clear it was his choice so one cannot blame Gabel. He was providing a service asked for by the patient who asked for it adamantly and did that effectively, it just wasn't the best solution.

And I've seen plenty and plenty of "professionals" with years of experience in hair transplants butcher, scam, and harm people such as in a recent Beehner case and of course Doganay, both of which are very competent doctors and have had a track record of strong results and knowledge. There are a number of "professional" surgeons recommended here who believe FUE cannot achieve the same results consistently as FUT as well as shouldn't be used for megassessions and to do so is unethical. Other surgeons on the recommended list here believe that FUT is no longer a procedure worth opting for in the vast majority of cases and FUE results can reach the same high standards of the best FUT. They can't all be right, so clearly being a professional doesn't make you infallible. The initial doctor who operated on him did a horrible job, would you take their "professional" advice or results? What an idiotic mentality. Truth doesn't care about the one who is saying it. This is an appeal to authority fallacy plain and simple.

The fact is that this doesn't look good currently, he's on the hook for an expensive, lengthy and non-guaranteed recovery and there was a better, more simple solution. His hairline is so high at this point that it doesn't look natural in itself, on top of the issue of where the grafts were removed. Again, if your forehead looked like that even if it was "only" for 12-24 months would you be comfortable going on dates or business meetings? I very much doubt you would.

Anyway, you do you and believe what you like, I've made my point and won't say any more on this. I don't want to upset anyone my point was simply that removing the grafts was a poor solution, and it doesn't look good. That is my opinion.

Edited by JeanLDD
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

LMC, I think you made the right decision. I don’t think what you had going on prior suited you at all and I don’t think any amount of grafts thrown into that by any top doc would’ve made that look normal on your head especially as you turn into your 50’s, and 60’s. If you had that low hairline in those years you would have looked very silly and unnatural. I think this suits you and will for years to come. Furthermore, I’ve known lots of people who’ve had their skin issues dealt with using microneedling and various other methods and you can’t tell that anything was done to them. Even looking them right in the face. I think you picked a great doc to help you out of a bad situation and once you get the skin issues sorted out you’ll be golden.

• 6 months later...

I think he made a good choice. I'd love to see the follow up on this though. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:37 AM, JeanLDD said:

OP made it clear it was his choice so one cannot blame Gabel. He was providing a service asked for by the patient who asked for it adamantly and did that effectively, it just wasn't the best solution.

And I've seen plenty and plenty of "professionals" with years of experience in hair transplants butcher, scam, and harm people such as in a recent Beehner case and of course Doganay, both of which are very competent doctors and have had a track record of strong results and knowledge. There are a number of "professional" surgeons recommended here who believe FUE cannot achieve the same results consistently as FUT as well as shouldn't be used for megassessions and to do so is unethical. Other surgeons on the recommended list here believe that FUT is no longer a procedure worth opting for in the vast majority of cases and FUE results can reach the same high standards of the best FUT. They can't all be right, so clearly being a professional doesn't make you infallible. The initial doctor who operated on him did a horrible job, would you take their "professional" advice or results? What an idiotic mentality. Truth doesn't care about the one who is saying it. This is an appeal to authority fallacy plain and simple.

The fact is that this doesn't look good currently, he's on the hook for an expensive, lengthy and non-guaranteed recovery and there was a better, more simple solution. His hairline is so high at this point that it doesn't look natural in itself, on top of the issue of where the grafts were removed. Again, if your forehead looked like that even if it was "only" for 12-24 months would you be comfortable going on dates or business meetings? I very much doubt you would.

Anyway, you do you and believe what you like, I've made my point and won't say any more on this. I don't want to upset anyone my point was simply that removing the grafts was a poor solution, and it doesn't look good. That is my opinion.

I don't think it looks that bad, I'm sure it'll get better with time and if he took some practice at applying make up, it won't be noticeable. I do agree that filling in the hairline would have been the better choice. Despite the terrible density, the grafts that actually grew looked pretty soft and natural, and with an elite doctor, a touch up would have turned out a favorable result. Plus the idea of wasting any precious grafts is hard to swallow for me. 

• Like 1

After the graft removal his hair looks flat .. his native hair didn’t look bad at all, didn’t see much recession. .. that’s fukked up the first doctor did the hair transplant in the first place .. but it’s the op’s fault for going back to that doctor to fill in the density the 2nd time . Everyone’s worse nightmare to have 3 transplants so soon .. hoping u the best op .. 

• 1 month later...

Would be curious to see follow up, repair work is always tricky, but at least you went to a good doc.

• Like 1

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel OP made an excellent decision. His current hairline looks great. 

I am in a very similar situation, I scar VERY easily. 

@LMC

What was Dr Gabel's anti scarring strategy? Did he use PRP or hydroulic acid? Did he use stitching to help prevent scarring?