HT Hairline Repair/Removal - Dr. Steven Gabel

LMC

LONG time reader, first time poster.

At the age of 22, I made a mistake and got a HT from an ISHRS doctor to fill in my somewhat receding hairline. I freaked out at the first sight of recession. I had about 2000 grafts implanted. If anyone around that age is reading this post, I would strongly advise against HT's.

The hairline was too low and the density was thin, so I went back to the same doctor 6 years later and got another 2000 grafts implanted to attempt to add more density. Obviously, this did not remedy the situation. I got by throughout the years with a combination of longer hair styles and Dermmatch, but I really just wanted to reverse the mistake I made in the first place as much as possible.

I started doing consultations with some top docs, as mentioned in these forums. I discovered posts about Dr. Gabel in these forums and luckily had moved near his Oregon office. We decided to extract out nearly all of the grafts that were transplanted there before. I can not begin to tell you how much happy I am with the results. I feel free again!

There is still a little work to be done on the temples and hairline, which I plan to discuss with Dr. Gabel in a couple months after I heal to see what he recommends.

I can not say enough good things about Dr. Gabel and his staff. Gabel answers every one of my questions and emails within 24 hours. I have searched these forums for many, many years and I can tell you Dr. Gabel is one of the best hair docs in the US.

DSC06150.thumb.jpg.0ce09a199357fb4c8b0d5eeed07c0dec.jpg

DSC06155.thumb.jpg.4e8d9217a8cf2a8eda7af06be6708a58.jpg

DSC06171.thumb.jpg.198190008bcd52c24bcec43de6106919.jpg

DSC05041.thumb.jpg.af6b2a7db86eb982b20b07258361ddf0.jpg

DSC05044.thumb.jpg.2ab6e647589c8bee386a24f9fd80860b.jpg

DSC05050.thumb.jpg.f8e7cfb3421eb0d5872e82f2e1892497.jpg

Edited by Bill - Managing Publisher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What did you do with the extracted grafts? I don't think this was a great idea, you can clearly see the marking on the recipient area and you still had a decent amount of hair in those areas.

JeanLucBergman -

The extracted grafts were placed further back in the temporal region. I should add that those pics were taken 4 weeks post-op. So the re-implanted grafts still need time to grow.

As for the marking on the recipient area, Dr. Gabel recommended to allow it to heal some and then discuss and plan for dermabrasion. Concealer covers it decently in the interim.

Everything is still a work in progress, but its certainly better than the low hairline/low density look.

Really awesome case by a great doc. I'd be interested to know what size punch was used. Also, its common that there will be some stragglers left behind. What percent waa left back?

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the outcome.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you Spanker. I am a long time follower of your posts.

I'm not sure what punch size was used. I have a tendency to scar easily, so I know Dr. Gabel used a smaller punch size because of this.

There were some stragglers left behind. We plan to FUE the rest out in November. I am currently shaving/plucking them every few days. If I had to guess, I would say something like 75 grafts remain throughout the old HT hairline, but am not 100% sure.

LMC so you chose Dr. Gabel because he lived close by? You really could have had that density fixed by choosing a good FUE surgeon. Dr. Diep would have fixed you right up that's for sure.

It blows my mind Dr. Gabel would just remove all of those grafts. Now he has you on the hook for more repair and i'd guess....transplanting more hairs down the road lol.

I did not go to Gabel because he was close by. I first heard about Gabel because of his association to Konior. I just happened to get a job in Oregon a couple years after my procedures.

I consulted with top docs (SMG, etc.) and everyone said the same thing...I had a way too low hairline after my procedures. I had a total of 4000+ grafts placed in my hairline, and the low density made me looked thinner than I actually was. My HT hairline was way too aggressive, and it is very obvious in the photos.

No one has me on the hook for anything. I am simply trying to reverse the mistake I made in the first place.

• 3 months later...

Hi Spanker!

I am having the remaining grafts removed via FUE in 3 weeks. I will update the post afterwards.

I will follow up with laser resurfacing or dermabrasion to treat the scarring at the hairline after I heal from the FUE.

Overall, I am very happy :)

Edited by Bill - Managing Publisher

• 4 weeks later...

Eh, not sure I would went the route of having even more transplanted into the hairline. He would have needed, what, another 2k in there minimum? That's 6k into the hairline.

My question is couldn't Dr. Gabel have removed, say, the first cm or so and then just moved those hairs back another cm to make it thicker? Then you would not be wasting those grafts.....and it would be killing two birds with one stone. (EDIT: I re-read and see he implanted them further back)

Looks good, LMC!

Repair work is tricky stuff, glad you chose a trustworthy doc, looks like it's panning out.

Dr. Gabel is one of my favorites, glad he's getting some positive attention for his diversity.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Update:

I am about 2 weeks post-op from removing 204 grafts from the old hairline. The grafts were reimplanted in the left and right temporal areas. You can see from my previous pics that I am thinning a bit in my temples. Still healing up a bit.

The procedure went very well. Dr. Gabel and his staff did an excellent job and were very accommodating.

There are still just a few grafts left in the area that I would like to remove. It was explained to me that removing grafts via FUE that are in such close proximity to each other could lead to excessive scarring, which of course I want to avoid and I know I scar EASILY.

I am going to try laser hair removal from all the remaining grafts and then either laser resurfacing or dermabrasion for the pits/cobblestones.

Very happy with the progress and just have a couple steps left!

IMG00809.thumb.jpg.19b7736937629c6adf14c533dca62d67.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LMC

Thanks for sharing

This looks so much better now, you must be thrilled?

It gives me hope as my situation is very similar to yours.

How is the healing going now?

What about scarring? I'm also pretty prone to scarring so I'd be interested to know what to expect.

Is it possible to get some shots on a side angle?

Thanks mate!

Hi MJ31,

The healing is going very well. Attached is a pic right after I shaved in that area. There is a couple red marks from the shave, but all the extraction sites are nice and healed.

No scarring from the procedure. The only scarring left is the uneven texture/bumps/pits that occurred from my first 2 original transplants.

The only person that has ever noticed something was a plastic surgeon, who thought I had acne or eczema in the area.

I use a small amount of scarring makeup in the interim and everything looks normal.

IMG-8879.thumb.jpg.59f55314529922fba63773acd4cf5b04.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good.

How many hairs do you have left that in front of your hairline?

This is a very interesting case. I am looking forward to seeing what the healing looks like at year.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I did the same thing as LMC, rushing into a hair transplant without fully understanding it, with the same thin results.

I think a natural higher hairline that is dense is way preferable to a lowered hairline that looks thin and artificial.

That being said, I am reticent to FUE out any grafts because of pitting and scarring. I have written in other threads that I have found micro-needling good for smoothing the skin. I have had 2 micro-needling treatments thus far and have purchased another two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had my 3rd micro needling procedure 4 days ago, and my skin is looking flawless.

Your higher hairline looks so much better than that low, thin, horrid result you got. Get some micro needling or other skin texture improvement treatment and you'll be very happy!

To be fair, JeanLDD, he is still in the process of remedying his surgeries. Perhaps we should reserve judgement until after he has addressed the issue of skin texture.

I think the hairline looks much better; but I think the visible skin damage is indeed noticeable. But as the OP stated, he is passing it off as acne/eczema.