Should I get a transplant on My Crown/Vertex top of Head

Hi

I am 27 years old. I have had 2 transplants using 1500 & 1200 grafts for my hairline mostly.

Just had my 2nd transplant in May.

I ma currently using fin 2 years & minoxidial for 2 years(I did stop minox & lost some hair near crown.

My doctor has said I have excellent donor hair which is good news.

But I am thinking about arranging another transplant for my vertex area as I don't believe I received enough grafts in this area . I may have suffered shock loss in this area also.

1st pic March 2015 no fin or transplant

2nd pic pre op May 2017.

3rd pic post op May 2017

4th pic July 2017 hair has shed

But did I recieve enough grafts in the vertex area just in front of crown?

1426886315208.jpg.2868e1b17622c06bb8dd6df7d4938cbd.jpg

5b32f4aa6f628_thumbnail_May20172jpg(2).jpg.b8fb09da982586c72d0ddb9768bb9518.jpg

5b32f4ab1ae6a_thumbnail_May20173(4).jpg.e2161455dab5d486a96e46b9b77a32a7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20170622_101537.thumb.jpg.293e134cd36f2d10e82a2968bcbcf268.jpg

1st pic 4 weeks post op June 2017

2nd pic 2 weeks post op

3rd pic today 2 months post op. Hair is under light there so looks worse but I am unsure I have enough grafts for vertex plus mid scalp.

5b32f4ab577cb_hair5172.thumb.jpg.562e0d299fd057283b47d9bf905cb3e0.jpg

hair517.thumb.jpg.1057fe8c20c6c1f564cd1ca5584dc7bb.jpg

hair717.thumb.jpg.9873be92eb065d2b9218befce2772243.jpg

Keep your grafts for the frontal third for now. You have shock loss now and are at your low point. Stay on fin, wait a year, and reevaluate.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

hairman22,

It appears you have very early thinning in the vertex at this point. You may be correct that you also have a little shock loss, although it is less likely because the last transplant was in the frontal region.

Some surgeons, like myself, do not like to do any work in the vertex in young patients.(<35 yoa) The reason is that we are not sure how your hairloss will progress. Typically starting to lose hair in your early 20s signals that you will have severe thinning for the rest of your life.

It is great that you are on finasteride and minoxidil. These will go far for helping to prevent more loss.

Even if you decided that you still wanted transplants in the vertex, I don't believe it would make a tremendous difference for you. It is a strange reality, but placing some grafts in an area with only a little thinning doesn't make as much as a difference as placing grafts in a very bald area. I believe you would be disappointed. Also, placing grafts in an area with already a fair amount of existing native hair could injure the native hair there.

The best bet would be to consider growing you hair slightly longer to better cover the crown. Also, you could use topical coverup such as Toppik or the more permanent SMP to create an illusion of more density.

• Like 1

hairman22,

It appears you have very early thinning in the vertex at this point. You may be correct that you also have a little shock loss, although it is less likely because the last transplant was in the frontal region.

Some surgeons, like myself, do not like to do any work in the vertex in young patients.(<35 yoa) The reason is that we are not sure how your hairloss will progress. Typically starting to lose hair in your early 20s signals that you will have severe thinning for the rest of your life.

It is great that you are on finasteride and minoxidil. These will go far for helping to prevent more loss.

Even if you decided that you still wanted transplants in the vertex, I don't believe it would make a tremendous difference for you. It is a strange reality, but placing some grafts in an area with only a little thinning doesn't make as much as a difference as placing grafts in a very bald area. I believe you would be disappointed. Also, placing grafts in an area with already a fair amount of existing native hair could injure the native hair there.

The best bet would be to consider growing you hair slightly longer to better cover the crown. Also, you could use topical coverup such as Toppik or the more permanent SMP to create an illusion of more density.

I think it is a bit worse than early thinning especially post op. I have got some grafts placed there already just unsure if I got enough.

If you did experience any shock in the mid-scalp and vertex, you want to give enough time for it to recover before adding any grafts.

Hard to say how much more you will lose in the frontal zone so if it were me, I would make sure that my restoration in the frontal zone into the mid-scalp was to my satisfaction before committing too many grafts into the crown/vertex area.

The crown can demand as much as 65% of one's available donor supply and can progress with much more loss in the coming years.

You are still very young so you want to manage your donor as prudently as possible. You can always add some beard grafts in the crown area as well.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have had some good/bad news since 1 month ago

I started using CR Labs regime with very good results in one month. It is very expensive but it does work as my pics show. My hair is longer but had regrowth no doubt about & my grafts have not grown in yet. At the moment certaintly don't need a transplant.

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04OTUzLTJkYzQtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADRp39A1FcXABGvDQuR2Gb2bIHAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAAIBCQAAAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAZ8Jh%2FEAAAABEgAQAMdjLEXT%2FTlNti8qyjy8L3I%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=qXH0N2p-xU23uoRuHwYQD3Ce3e_o5NQYt_LoP8B-EXBHO2-QSCu-TxTYl8QKKykmJoG4j-SpQp0.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.UGgtEfKGWaAoZOsFI7qAI3LLa2C0GaNPWiOPIUns2M7K3VG5US37iGXQLOEaA3tjs_S2moEmsH7lLJPVXjKly6Bx3zGY0mtyKxgI2-4xk-iMqm22nLVVUHvcunuuI4kTPWWQOoB6IvGfKxKuLmbt24OFpFCL4_Fl0V-6HLJ05PrlYuCEBeglHEy2LjzPSsB5IlI5bgg97MKt5lZnBqzD4x2-cxyzBZPSYtFL3v7p6GWXxCoA6eXEu7G_1aNrakCQWpkYuTiPWtEKbJf0rnANLF9QJwgxVlwvK_q8AOwiKHtzzOZmYbVxLTinfPu2MK2OzueFpjxsALn-_-6LCsDwIg&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04OTUzLTJkYzQtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADRp39A1FcXABGvDQuR2Gb2bIHAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAAIBCQAAAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAZ8Jh%2FEAAAABEgAQAOZfgNq6JihJt0XZzbKmVlc%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=qXH0N2p-xU23uoRuHwYQD3Ce3e_o5NQYt_LoP8B-EXBHO2-QSCu-TxTYl8QKKykmJoG4j-SpQp0.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.UGgtEfKGWaAoZOsFI7qAI3LLa2C0GaNPWiOPIUns2M7K3VG5US37iGXQLOEaA3tjs_S2moEmsH7lLJPVXjKly6Bx3zGY0mtyKxgI2-4xk-iMqm22nLVVUHvcunuuI4kTPWWQOoB6IvGfKxKuLmbt24OFpFCL4_Fl0V-6HLJ05PrlYuCEBeglHEy2LjzPSsB5IlI5bgg97MKt5lZnBqzD4x2-cxyzBZPSYtFL3v7p6GWXxCoA6eXEu7G_1aNrakCQWpkYuTiPWtEKbJf0rnANLF9QJwgxVlwvK_q8AOwiKHtzzOZmYbVxLTinfPu2MK2OzueFpjxsALn-_-6LCsDwIg&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04OTUzLTJkYzQtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADRp39A1FcXABGvDQuR2Gb2bIHAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAAIBCQAAAOkwXGae0%2B1Ph8QWpc0d6igAAZ8Jh%2FEAAAABEgAQAJ1t1rLKBM5ArGwqN0UvtKs%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=qXH0N2p-xU23uoRuHwYQD3Ce3e_o5NQYt_LoP8B-EXBHO2-QSCu-TxTYl8QKKykmJoG4j-SpQp0.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.UGgtEfKGWaAoZOsFI7qAI3LLa2C0GaNPWiOPIUns2M7K3VG5US37iGXQLOEaA3tjs_S2moEmsH7lLJPVXjKly6Bx3zGY0mtyKxgI2-4xk-iMqm22nLVVUHvcunuuI4kTPWWQOoB6IvGfKxKuLmbt24OFpFCL4_Fl0V-6HLJ05PrlYuCEBeglHEy2LjzPSsB5IlI5bgg97MKt5lZnBqzD4x2-cxyzBZPSYtFL3v7p6GWXxCoA6eXEu7G_1aNrakCQWpkYuTiPWtEKbJf0rnANLF9QJwgxVlwvK_q8AOwiKHtzzOZmYbVxLTinfPu2MK2OzueFpjxsALn-_-6LCsDwIg&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

But after 2 years on fin I have develped sides & have to go off.

I am worried I will lose alot of hair.

But I will be using the CR Labs programme which has helped me so far.

-Yellow Line(Sebum) will be switching to Green(hair loss prevention)

- Havogen 5 patches

- Hair Max Laser Comb 3 times. 2 times straight after using the CR Labs Shampoo's.

- Minox

I also am only 3 months after my 2nd transplant which was shown in OP.

Edited by hairman22

Can you talk to your doctor about the possibility of using a topical finasteride product?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Can you talk to your doctor about the possibility of using a topical finasteride product?

My doctor believes I will retain hair using the CR Labs programme. He is not a fan of finisteride because of the side affects.

Does topical fin work & does it cause sides?

1st pic 4 weeks post op June 2017

2nd pic 2 weeks post op

3rd pic today 2 months post op. Hair is under light there so looks worse but I am unsure I have enough grafts for vertex plus mid scalp.

Here is my hair now.

Very happy with the improvement.

Hopefully I can maintain without Procepia for a few years.

still have grafts to grown in too 1300. Around hairline,in middle & Vertex.

08172.thumb.jpg.5b0db26e834cd73166bcb2a657e9f7b1.jpg

0208172.thumb.jpg.93c825b919a78e4f9471a5d1d97906b4.jpg

md0817.thumb.jpg.e0f3e0b116bc20ca050ff71591d23415.jpg

Edited by hairman22

My doctor believes I will retain hair using the CR Labs programme. He is not a fan of finisteride because of the side affects.

Does topical fin work & does it cause sides?

I have not heard of anyone having sexual side effects from using topical finasteride and at the same time there really has not been many guys talking about it within these online communities.

The key is inhibiting DHT otherwise the progression of MPB will continue on.

Gillenator

I have not heard of anyone having sexual side effects from using topical finasteride and at the same time there really has not been many guys talking about it within these online communities.

The key is inhibiting DHT otherwise the progression of MPB will continue on.

Does topical fin work & where can u get it?

the CR Labs has Havogen 5 patches which inhibits DHT naturally.

• 2 months later...

I think your hair looks fine and would not do any more surgery for the time being.

Gillenator

• 3 years later...

Thought i wpuld update this.

4 years on i thought i would have lost more conisdering I cant take any DHT blocking pills.

My crown has got thinner rest of hair has stayed pretty much the same.

https://gyazo.com/27c22aeff4b911408f849154c1d23b72

https://gyazo.com/0697b9706bb11fcc450890328813d8a5

Im thinkig about smp for the crown?

Good idea?

2 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Looking good for 4 years on 🤩 

crown annoys me.

I lost some there afte i stopped minoxidil.

Thinking about smp for there considering i dont want to waste another transplant yet

How old are you just now ? 

Although it is apparently your crown has started to thin, I think it is too early/there are still too many there there to intervene with a transplant. 

The rest of your hair looks good which is positive news. 

I think Good quality SMP would definitely help reduce the contrast, and fill your crown out to appear full looking - however I believe most surgeons prefer areas to undergo SMP after they have been transplanted, because the scarring and ink could potentially affect growth rates of transplanted grafts. 

Who was your doctor ? And what sides did you experience on propecia after two years? Are you fully recovered now? 

24 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

How old are you just now ? 

Although it is apparently your crown has started to thin, I think it is too early/there are still too many there there to intervene with a transplant. 

The rest of your hair looks good which is positive news. 

I think Good quality SMP would definitely help reduce the contrast, and fill your crown out to appear full looking - however I believe most surgeons prefer areas to undergo SMP after they have been transplanted, because the scarring and ink could potentially affect growth rates of transplanted grafts. 

Who was your doctor ? And what sides did you experience on propecia after two years? Are you fully recovered now? 

im 30 now. 31 in august

my crown has been thinning for about 7 years now

dr saifi

ive recovered 95% thankfully took a few years

First ive heard about smp impacting a transplant. Yeah im not looking to get another transplant until my hair is bald in the crown.

Want to get smp in thin area's when possible.

SMP works best in a thinning crown but not a bald one...as long as there is roughly a density of 40 FU cm2 or so, you should be fine with adding quality SMP.

Gillenator

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

SMP works best in a thinning crown but not a bald one...as long as there is roughly a density of 40 FU cm2 or so, you should be fine with adding quality SMP.

my crown ok here for smphttps://gyazo.com/0697b9706bb11fcc450890328813d8a5

im thinking about cutting my hair to 7mm anyway buzz cut & blend in smp with existing. If so i would need smp in more of scalp though

Doing this purely because i love having hair very short but not enough coverage last few years for this

The center of your whirl is a bit thin and adding maybe 20 grafts or so would definitely help if adding SMP, otherwise your crown still has decent density.

Gillenator