2215 Grafts with Dr.Diep (23 years old turning 24)

Hi everyone,

I have not been posting on this forum for the past few months because I have been preparing for my FUE procedure today. You guys can look at my previouse thread here to know more about my story:

(http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185575-2250-fue-planned-july-dr-diep-2.html

Eventhough after a lot of criticisms regarding my young and my objection regarding the use of Propecia, I received a lot of encouragments from other forum members as well as my family. This led to my decision to undergo an FUE transplant with Dr.Diep today. I know what I am getting into and that I will need more procedures down the road The surgery was not painful at all and Dr.Diep and his staffs were professional throughbout. Eventhough Dr. Diep suggested a more aggressive hairline, I chose a conservative hairline with medium density. I was schedule for 2250 grafts but they only used 2215 since my hair is very thick and I had a lot of multiple hair grafts (1218 singles and 997 multiples). I even had quite a bit of 4 -5 hair grafts) II will be posting regularly of my progress for other members to follow.

After the procedure, I will look into using rogaine foam and maybe propecia to prevent further loss (last time i tried lipogaine minox I had a bad allergic reaction)

I would like to send my special thanks to HTSoon and quidproqui for supporting my decision and helping me choose a great doctor.

Here is the Day 1 Pre and Post Op Photos ( I literally just got back from the clinic)

Pre Op:

2db8qd4.jpg

2a68awl.jpg

4v4is4.jpg

Post Op:

sg087q.jpg

34i4cc8.jpg

64phq8.jpg

Edited by mikenguyen

That's going to look great in 6 months man! Diep was a excellent choice. I love his Youtube videos. Yeah do what you can to prevent further loss because 24 is a very young age to have that much loss.

Good luck.

That's going to look great in 6 months man! Diep was a excellent choice. I love his Youtube videos. Yeah do what you can to prevent further loss because 24 is a very young age to have that much loss.

Good luck.

Hi WidowsPeek,

I appreciate your reply and encouragments. I know that is was a difficult decision to do a HT at my early age but this was something that I put a lot of thought into. I got a bad allergic reaction with Lipogaine sensitive acalp minox. I'm still extremely scared of Propecia's sides but I will definietly look into trying it again.

Wow! That is some really refined and densely packed work! You're going to be a happy camper. Please keep us posted on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Wow! That is some really refined and densely packed work! You're going to be a happy camper. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hi David,

Thank you for your encouragments, I truly hope that the results will turn out well. I will keep everyone posted on my progresss

Day 1 Recipient Area

w2el55.jpg

2coh9ow.jpg

2vxj3on.jpg

Day 1 Donor Area after bandage taken off + after gentle cleaning and applying oitment

z5yk0.jpg

a9wxp2.jpg

So far no pain at all, just a little bruising on my forehead. Neck slightly sore from sleeping upright last night. I am going into the clinic tomorrow to get my first hair wash and will be flying back home the day after tomorrow.

• Administrators

Everything looks great, i think your case is somewhat similar to Bondi who ended up having a really impressive result for such a small amount of grafts. I imagine by 12 months you'll look something like this.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182617-fue-%7E-1630-dr-diep-5.html

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Everything looks great, i think your case is somewhat similar to Bondi who ended up having a really impressive result for such a small amount of grafts. I imagine by 12 months you'll look something like this.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182617-fue-%7E-1630-dr-diep-5.html

Hi HTsoon,

Thank you for your reply and your encouragements in helping me make this important decision. I am still following your thread and you are truly an inspiration to many of the members in this forum. I have relatively thick hair so I hope that the results will turn out well. Just a little tough right now with the swollen head and fluid discharge in the donor area haha. I'm coming in for a hair wash in an hour. I will keep you posted with my results.

5 Days Post-op Pics after hairwash

nqaexf.jpg

10cnqqb.jpg

24fbvw0.jpg

So the swelling went down and I'm starting to look like a human again lol. No pain except some tightness in the donor area and some tenderness in some red spots in donor area (you can see from photos). My girlfriend has been helping me wash my hair and she has been very careful with it. We only started washing the reciepient yesterday using a sponge to squirt light water and shampoo on to the reciepient area. I guess by day 8 when I can resume my normal shower routine again, most of the scabs will come out then. I think I will start to sleep on my back again today, sleeping upright has been straining my neck a lot.

11 Days Post-Op Update

20j0ppk.jpg

2wo93md.jpg

n4dx7l.jpg

So these are the photos as of today (11 days post op). I started showering under my shower head yesterday and it has been so hard to get the scabs off. It took around 4 long hair washes for 90% of the scabs to fall off. Many hairs shed during the washing process eventhough I was being very gentle while washing and only used baby shampoo. Donor area scabs are almost all gone except some bigger ones. I only have pain in 2 spots in the donor area and they are slowly getting better. It is bearable and only hurts a little when I lay down.

• Administrators

You're doing a great job of cleaning wow, everything looks good, if you have any donor pain left or itching use aloe Vera.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You're doing a great job of cleaning wow, everything looks good, if you have any donor pain left or itching use aloe Vera.

Yeah man luckily I have my girlfriend to help me with the hair wash. I would just run the water on my head to keep it wet for like 10-15 minutes then she would use shampoo twice and rub with circular motion using her finger tips. Each time that we do this, more and more scabs came out. I think the rest of it will fall out in the next couple of days.

It just sucks now because I don't know how to style my hair lol. If I buzzcut and the recipient hairs fall out, it will show my receeding hairline. Just can't wait until I am where you are man, I hope my results will be as good since Dr.Diep is so good at what he does.

Hi Mikenguyen, How many days did you take off work? I been holding off getting a procedure just because i don't know how I would hide the recipient spots which would be very obvious to co-workers and we are very formal so no hats allowed. What did your hairline look at within 2 weeks and 3 weeks from procedure day as I think 3 weeks is the time frame I would be taking time off work? Thanks.

Hard to not comment on the age/degree of loss/aggressive hairline lowering/FUE instead of FUT to max out lifetime grafts. Like a perfect storm of long term risk, gunna look great though!

Do yourself a favor and get on finasteride and stay on it until either it stops working for you or something better comes along.

Hi Mikenguyen, How many days did you take off work? I been holding off getting a procedure just because i don't know how I would hide the recipient spots which would be very obvious to co-workers and we are very formal so no hats allowed. What did your hairline look at within 2 weeks and 3 weeks from procedure day as I think 3 weeks is the time frame I would be taking time off work? Thanks.

I would say at least 2 weeks down time. Many people went back to work only a few days post op wearing hats but I don't recommend this at all because you need to take it easy for the 1st week - 10 days. You can choose to leave your hair long and cover the reciepient area when you get back to work. Honestly after 2 weeks everything should be healed up nicely.

Hard to not comment on the age/degree of loss/aggressive hairline lowering/FUE instead of FUT to max out lifetime grafts. Like a perfect storm of long term risk, gunna look great though!

Do yourself a favor and get on finasteride and stay on it until either it stops working for you or something better comes along.

Thank you for your comment. In my last thread that I made, I did get a lot of objections as well but in the end I decided to do it anyway. I feel that it was a good decision for myself eventhough I totally understand all the risks that are involved. I do know that I will need more surgeries and it is a risk that I was willing to take. Regarding the hairline, this is a conservative hairline for my facial structure. My doctor did offer for a lower hairline but I settled for this hairline for the long run.

Thank you for your comment. In my last thread that I made, I did get a lot of objections as well but in the end I decided to do it anyway. I feel that it was a good decision for myself eventhough I totally understand all the risks that are involved. I do know that I will need more surgeries and it is a risk that I was willing to take. Regarding the hairline, this is a conservative hairline for my facial structure. My doctor did offer for a lower hairline but I settled for this hairline for the long run.

It's your hair, ultimately your decision! I based my aggressive hairline call on how much the center point was lowered from where the native is right now, should be a huge visual change for you though. Just make sure you use meds to stop the native loss from progressing for as long as possible, that is the most important thing for you to do right now to ensure long term satisfaction. Remember you gotta make it another 40+ years...

It's your hair, ultimately your decision! I based my aggressive hairline call on how much the center point was lowered from where the native is right now, should be a huge visual change for you though. Just make sure you use meds to stop the native loss from progressing for as long as possible, that is the most important thing for you to do right now to ensure long term satisfaction. Remember you gotta make it another 40+ years...

Yeah I understand where you are coming from, the hairline is still pretty conservative considering how big my forehead is :) I'm still undecided on fin right now, getting sides at my age would suck even more than losing hair :( Tried minox a few months back and got a bad allergic reaction too...

Yeah I understand where you are coming from, the hairline is still pretty conservative considering how big my forehead is :) I'm still undecided on fin right now, getting sides at my age would suck even more than losing hair :( Tried minox a few months back and got a bad allergic reaction too...

Don't get scared away from fin, many thousands of men take it for years with no issues at all, you don't hear from them because they're out enjoying life with hair. The ones with sides take to the internet and spread fear.

Considering the risk you just took with the HT I think you should go all in and start fin. Do .25mg every other day or even every third day for the first few weeks, slowly up the dose to .5mg every other day (get most of the benefits without loading your system up with fin). I've been on that regiment for 2 years now and have no sides (except the sporadic dull ball ache one for the first week or two while my body acclimated) and loss has stopped, I got scared away from it back when I was 22-23 and I'll forever hate myself for it because if I had hopped on then I wouldn't be needing a HT now at 28.

• Like 1

Don't get scared away from fin, many thousands of men take it for years with no issues at all, you don't hear from them because they're out enjoying life with hair. The ones with sides take to the internet and spread fear.

Considering the risk you just took with the HT I think you should go all in and start fin. Do .25mg every other day or even every third day for the first few weeks, slowly up the dose to .5mg every other day (get most of the benefits without loading your system up with fin). I've been on that regiment for 2 years now and have no sides (except the sporadic dull ball ache one for the first week or two while my body acclimated) and loss has stopped, I got scared away from it back when I was 22-23 and I'll forever hate myself for it because if I had hopped on then I wouldn't be needing a HT now at 28.

Thank you for your insights, I will definietly look into trying fin. I know that it is the most effective treatment and will help slow down the loss process. For now I just hope that the result of this HT will be successful

20 Days Post Op Update

2zrozo5.jpg

33b3bl5.jpg

t5g12o.jpg

A lot of shedding (both native and transplanted hair) has been happening in the last week when I shower. You guys can clearly see this from the photos. I switched to my normal shampoo today since the baby shampoo seems to leave my hair quite greasy. I have been experiencing quite a bit of itchiness in my scalp (especially in the donor area). When I try to gently rub it with my finger tips, some white flakes as well as some short hair also shed too. I hope this is not too concerning since dryness and itchiness is expected from what I have read online. Hopefully the redness will go away too. Still some discomfort in the donor area but it is slowly getting better. I started going back to the gym a week ago and so far so good. Also I have been trying to stay away from any type of smoking.

• 3 weeks later...

5 Weeks Post-Op Update

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

Not many replies but here is my 5 weeks update! Over the past few weeks, I have been experiencing a lot of itchiness and dandruff especially in the donor area. I also experienced some shock loss in the donor areas but this is also getting better as well. I would say 90% of the hair in the recipient area has shed and the redness is slowly fading away. Redness is more noticeable after I do heavy activities such as going to the gym. I have been wearing a hat 90% of the time when I am outside and I am looking to have my first hair cut in 2 weeks. Numbness is slowly starting to fade and I am starting to feel like how I was before the procedure. I have returned to all normal activities and I am looking to swim in the ocean for the first time tomorrow. 1 pimple showed up the other day in the recipient area so I think the new hair grafts are trying to push through. Ugly duckling phase is in full effect right now and I hope to see some growth after a couple of months.

Looking good, man! Make sure you continue keeping your scalp out of the sun for the first 6 months - and wear a waterproof sunscreen on your scalp when you go swimming. Sun exposure is one of the few things that can really negatively impact your growth, so be extra cautious. I used a waterproof spray sunscreen anytime I was out and about and couldn't wear a hat, and really tried to limit the amount of time it was exposed to the sun. Better safe than sorry. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56