SMP to increase donor area thickness

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if SMP is an efficient way to make the donor area look thicker after FUE and what the disadvantages of this solution are, if any.

Would also appreciate if anyone can post some links to such cases to see how they look like.

Potentially SMP can potentially produce an illusion of more density than what is actually there by making the area look more dense than it actually is.

The SMP ink simply cuts down the amount of light reflection off the scalp, but remember, there are varying degrees of skill and the permanency of the ink can also vary.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If one is willing to SMP the donor wouldn't it be best to SMP the scalp instead of a transplant? I'm assuming you're keeping the hair cropped or buzzed since long hair would cover any FUE scars with ease.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Ramez,

I have seen several patients who have SMP-ed FUE scars. The process works the same way it would into any scar.

I believe the effect of increasing apparent donor density/fullness would work as long as you are keeping the hair short. If the scars were darkened to match the shortly cropped hair color, everything should look thicker. However, I don't think the effect would be the same if the hair was grown longer. You'd still notice a more diffuse thinning in the donor.

I'd recommend reaching out to Erik at Ahead Ink. He posts here under the handle "HairThere." He's a great reference for all things SMP.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Speegz,

Interesting post an interesting point but not necessarily. It's possible somebody would like to keep the hair on the sides and back of their scout short while growing the hair on top of their head so that it's longer. So why use scalp micro pigmentation on the top of the head when they are just tiny dots when you could use the pigmentation on the sides and back to match the tiny follicles or hair that's growing out of the sides and back. Interesting post an interesting point but not necessarily. It's possible somebody would like to keep the hair on the sides and back of their scout short while growing the hair on top of their head so that is longer. So why use scalp micro pigmentation on the top of the head when they are just tiny dots when you could use the pigmentation on the sides and back to match the tiny follicles or hair that's growing out of the sides and back.

Honestly, it depends what people are trying to accomplish and what their goals are. I've considered SMP on my donor scar but honestly, it's really not so noticeable that I feel the need. I just typically grow my hair a little longer on the sides and back so that it's concealed and then no problem and no maintenance.

Best,

Bill

Of course SMP is really meant for closely buzzed haircuts, so if your plan is to keep your donor area shaved very short after FUE then it could be very helpful. At longer lengths, the effect will be lost and at best it will provide some shading that might make the donor area appear somewhat thicker.

So the answer to your question depends mainly on how short you plan to keep your donor area.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Ramez,

Is it your intention to wear a buzzed or cropped hair style?

If not, then SMP will not be of any benefit as others have stated.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it.

Gillenator, the point is that I am thinking of using the greatest amount of my donor hair found on the back and sides and transplant them to my scalp. With that, I am taking into consideration that my donor area might look a bit weak (which I don't mind as long as I restore as much as possible of the hair on top).

In case it does look weak, I'm thinking ahead and wondering if SMP would be a viable option. I might crop my hair on the sides (2 or 3 guard, not less) and I might leave it to grow. From what most of you have mentioned, SMP works better with a buzzed look (I agree with that); but recently I have found some results online with SMP to donor areas with long hair in order to increase the illusion of density. I've even found SMP done to recipient areas in both men and women with long hair to also increase the illusion of density. What do you think?