Thinning donor area - FUE/FUT out of question in a future?

I have tried to research on this subject but I have yet to find comprehensive answers. If person (like I do) have thinning in donor area, should they give up on a idea to get HT? What kind of limitations thinning donor might bring if HT is possible? I assume medication, especially propecia, is mandatory to anyone with thinning donor area and are considering HT.

I don't think your donor is thinning. The crown is but the donor below is most likely ok. Your best growing your hair longer, grade 4+ then shall will give you a better idea. Also visit some reputable HT surgeons for a consultation so they examine your donor more closely.

• Administrators

Who told you your donor was thinning, it's hard to tell from pictures, but i don't see any diffuse loss in the donor region. Consult with some doctors in person and have them microscopically examine the donor region to see if you have any miniaturization.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have been told by quite a few doctors, including Erdogan. However these have been online consultations. Unfortunately I am not living anywhere near HT clinics so online consultations have been the only choice so far.

If I may ask opinions, what do you think of my donor in general? And in a case my donor would be thinning, does it mean HT is ruled out?

• Administrators
I have been told by quite a few doctors, including Erdogan. However these have been online consultations. Unfortunately I am not living anywhere near HT clinics so online consultations have been the only choice so far.

If I may ask opinions, what do you think of my donor in general? And in a case my donor would be thinning, does it mean HT is ruled out?

I wouldn't base anything off of online consultations, unfortunately it's difficult to know whether you have thinning in the donor region without seeing what's going on microscopically. You live in Sweden, I would suggest taking a short flight to consult with doctors in Belgium like Lupunzula, feriduni, bisanga or even England like Dr. Farjo and Dr. Reddy, if this is something you're seriously considering then it's imperative you see a doctor in person, there's no way of knowing for sure whether you are or aren't a candidate for surgery. To answer your question, if you have thinning in your donor zone you should NOT be getting surgery, because that would mean that the transplanted hair is susceptible to DHT, thus transplantation would not work because the hair would miniaturize and fall out. You would also put yourself in the position of possibly exposing surgical scars whether it be FUT or FUE. Again by the photos your donor zone does not seem diffused, I can clearly see the crown demarcation lines which is a clear sign of genetic patterned alopecia.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Only a thorough microscopic examination of the donor region will confirm whether the area is stable or not.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I don't know how old you are, but I don't think you have to give up the idea of a hair transplant. There might some miniaturization in your donor area, but it definitely isn't advanced whatsoever.

Frankly speaking, someone can only map for current miniaturization anyway, nobody can predict the future.

If you do have current miniaturization going on in your donor area then going on finasteride will be pretty damn important

Going for a live consult might be a wise idea.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Myr,

Very difficult to tell based on those images alone. While I'm inclined to say that you don't have donor thinning and would be a good candidate for HT surgery, your hair color and the direct overhead lighting do make it look slightly thinner in some regions -- especially one spot notorious for crown "dropping."

As a few other stated, do your best to go see someone in-person. This is really the only way to determine whether or not you have the donor for a procedure.

Good luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.