Is this diffuse thinning?

Hi all,

It was not until recently that I found (thanks to this forum) that im losing hair on my mid-scalp. Before that I was so obsessed about my receding hairline that I kinda ignored other parts of my scalp.

I took new pictures today under harsh lightning to give you better view on my hair situation. I would be grateful if someone could give their opinion on my hair loss (diffuse thinning or not, potential NW-level in a future, donor hair good or bad, good or bad candidate for HT).

IMG_9135.thumb.jpg.3456be3bf262eb0f3dc71c8e178d2677.jpg

IMG_9133.thumb.jpg.88f0f876c65d643eb245a5492f4f6707.jpg

IMG_9125.thumb.jpg.b2c8852c3dc0c4d6302990bae6ebb584.jpg

IMG_9142.thumb.jpg.ad79013737e9e90fc3741901cbe06bca.jpg

You definitely have diffuse thinning, but a lot of guys with frontal recession have at least a bit of thinning throughout the top. It'll be less noticeable with longer hair but also buzzing it even shorter than it is would probably make it less apparent.

It's difficult to be completely accurate when judging donor area from photos, especially only one photo, but it looks like you might be thinning downwards from your crown.

How old are you and when did you first notice that you were losing hair?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

You definitely have diffuse thinning, but a lot of guys with frontal recession have at least a bit of thinning throughout the top. It'll be less noticeable with longer hair but also buzzing it even shorter than it is would probably make it less apparent.

It's difficult to be completely accurate when judging donor area from photos, especially only one photo, but it looks like you might be thinning downwards from your crown.

How old are you and when did you first notice that you were losing hair?

Im 32 years old and I have been losing hair over 10 years. Some days I feel confident about my hair, some days I feel bummed out. Its difficult to get objective analysis of my hair loss outside of this forum (god bless for this community Lol). Even my GP who prescribed me propecia thought I had only bit of recession on my temples. I can only wish the truth was so simple :rolleyes:

I could provide more pictures of my donor. Btw, every single HT doctor who has consulted me online, have found it difficult to analyze or give estimation of my donor hair. Not sure what to make of it :rolleyes:

You may have some slight diffusion on top.

My advice is to stick with propecia and don't have a transplant and keep the same hair style.

I think that it works for you now. You look like you are in good enough shape and and you have a really nice head. If I looked at you, I would not be like, "You know Jim...the one that's balding." I would say, "Jim, with the shaved head."

I think it looks fine and I would stick to fin and maybe add rogaine if you aren't using it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Im 32 years old and I have been losing hair over 10 years. Some days I feel confident about my hair, some days I feel bummed out. Its difficult to get objective analysis of my hair loss outside of this forum (god bless for this community Lol). Even my GP who prescribed me propecia thought I had only bit of recession on my temples. I can only wish the truth was so simple :rolleyes:

I could provide more pictures of my donor. Btw, every single HT doctor who has consulted me online, have found it difficult to analyze or give estimation of my donor hair. Not sure what to make of it :rolleyes:

The fact that you've been losing hair for at least ten years and only have slight recession and minor diffuse thinning is a positive thing. My hairloss began at around the same age. I would say I'm slightly less thin on top but my hairline receded deeper than yours has, and I think anyone would consider my hairloss to be very slow to the point of being stable. The same could be said about you.

The only concern (and it's only an issue if you're considering a HT) is the donor area. I do think you have some thinning in that area and I see it in the photo you added. If a photo shows possible donor thinning then that makes it very hard to give an accurate estimation from that photo. I think it reflects well on the doctors you consulted with that they were honest about your donor area and didn't promise you the world.

I totally agree with Spanker. You appear to look good with your hair buzzed short, you have barely enough recession to justify hairline work and definitely aren't thin enough to have a transplant to the diffused area.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

The fact that you've been losing hair for at least ten years and only have slight recession and minor diffuse thinning is a positive thing. My hairloss began at around the same age. I would say I'm slightly less thin on top but my hairline receded deeper than yours has, and I think anyone would consider my hairloss to be very slow to the point of being stable. The same could be said about you.

The only concern (and it's only an issue if you're considering a HT) is the donor area. I do think you have some thinning in that area and I see it in the photo you added. If a photo shows possible donor thinning then that makes it very hard to give an accurate estimation from that photo. I think it reflects well on the doctors you consulted with that they were honest about your donor area and didn't promise you the world.

I totally agree with Spanker. You appear to look good with your hair buzzed short, you have barely enough recession to justify hairline work and definitely aren't thin enough to have a transplant to the diffused area.

Thanks for your reply mattj, I think you might be right. For example Erdogan did not want operate me because of my donor hair and suggested I need to take fin for 6-12 months before he would reconsider surgery.

Since I have booked HT for another reputable dr, I am thinking to cancel the procedure and save the money (and donor hair). It kinda sucks because while I like buzz cut quite a lot, I am not able to grow my hair longer due to uneven hairline. My options are

1) stay on treatments (big 3) and keep my hair buzzed for a time being or until we have a real cure on hands

2) stay on treatments (big 3) and fix the hairline. Problems may arise if my hair loss progresses and I run out of donor hair.

3) same as no 1 but maybe get quality SMP to fix hairline / get more density