End stage scarring alopecia

My biopsy results are in from Dr Konior. A biopsy from the core of my problem area showed end stage scarring alopecia and a biopsy from a better covered area showed burnt out scarring alopecia.

Dr K has said he can do a test area but that's it until we are sure the area is stable.

He also said an option was medically managing it with Dr Nadimi, but I am not sure what medical management consists of.

I am not very familiar with this outcome and unsure where to go next. But being a 30 year old female something has to be done and the sooner the better.

Advice?

I would suggest by first communicating with Dr. Nadimi to see what is involved with the medical management. My premonition would be that everything involving the strength of your auto-immune system and overall health would be the initial steps but again, best to consult with her.

Then you might take this information to a few other MDs and get some more opinions.

Wish you the best in your journey JSecret.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

This past Thursday (a week ago today) I had a test transplant with Dr Konior. He did a small strip removal (approx 1x2 inches) in the back of my head and put approx 100 grafts into the center of the hair loss region. The entire surgery took about an hour.

I have experienced discomfort in the back where the stitches are but the frontal region has had no pain which is mostly due to a numbness in the area. The grafts appear to have taken well so far and now we just wait and see.

Dr Konior has advised me to check in with him around the 4 month mark if we are seeing growth. At that point I can set up for a full transplant provided the grown continues and stays.

I cannot say enough good things about the people at Chicago Hair Institute.They are kind and patient, checked in with me after the transplant, and were very willing to work with me as an individual. I live a bit farther away so they had no issues using disolvable stitches, I preferred to drive home so we used a local and no sedation, my Mom was a complete wreck and they dealt with her terrifically. As a 30 year old woman dealing with hair loss this is the most relieved I have felt in a long, long time.

hair.jpg.2183f2209622c45cb004b4cc24c5ca6c.jpg

This past Thursday (a week ago today) I had a test transplant with Dr Konior. He did a small strip removal (approx 1x2 inches) in the back of my head and put approx 100 grafts into the center of the hair loss region. The entire surgery took about an hour.

I have experienced discomfort in the back where the stitches are but the frontal region has had no pain which is mostly due to a numbness in the area. The grafts appear to have taken well so far and now we just wait and see.

Dr Konior has advised me to check in with him around the 4 month mark if we are seeing growth. At that point I can set up for a full transplant provided the grown continues and stays.

I cannot say enough good things about the people at Chicago Hair Institute.They are kind and patient, checked in with me after the transplant, and were very willing to work with me as an individual. I live a bit farther away so they had no issues using disolvable stitches, I preferred to drive home so we used a local and no sedation, my Mom was a complete wreck and they dealt with her terrifically. As a 30 year old woman dealing with hair loss this is the most relieved I have felt in a long, long time.

Best wishes on your procedure. I really hope it grows well and I hope that you follow up with your procedure. No a lot of people follow through with scarring alopecia transplant or results, so your post and an honest eval of the results could be very helpful to people considering treatment.

All the best.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Best wishes on your procedure. I really hope it grows well and I hope that you follow up with your procedure. No a lot of people follow through with scarring alopecia transplant or results, so your post and an honest eval of the results could be very helpful to people considering treatment.

All the best.

This response is exactly why I am trying to post results and so forth both here as well as a long detailed explanation of it all on my facebook to friends/family. This is a condition a lot of people seem to hide and women in particular are so embarassed that they just don't talk about it at all which in turns makes the next woman feel like she is dealing with it completely alone. I am doing my part to break that cycle, get it out in the open, and let other people know they aren't alone. :)

It must feel great to be doing something about it. How long have you been suffering from this?

As I understand it, "end stage" and "burnt out" mean that it has, essentially, stopped progressing. Is that what your doctor thinks?

I'm not very familiar with this type of hairloss, so I'm asking this out of curiosity, plus, as you say, this thread will serve as valuable information for other sufferers.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Sorry to hear that. Scarring alopecia is poorly understood and medically managing it is very difficult or impossible. There is some literature out there that shows the use of immunomodulatory & anti-inflammatory can help, but it is very limited.

Great that you have had a (test) hair transplant though. There is a huge chance that those grafts will grow.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com