11 days post op; shedding already?

Hello all!

I am a longtime lurker. I recently had a procedure with Dr Erdogan for 1420 grafts to reinforce a stabilized lateral hairline and temples. I also had grafts placed into a non-thinning area in my forelock to even out the look. I am planning on doing a full review of the procedure soon. However I had a quick question about healing and shedding.

I healed extremely fast. My donor was undetectable in 3 days, and my scabs were entirely off in 4 days. I had no lost grafts. At 11 days currently my redness is almost gone. However on day 10 I began shedding. I noticed this when hairs in the recipient area came out effortlessly, and looked like normal shed hairs. They are not native hairs because my transplant was 90% on hairless skin.

Now, just 2 days later I would say 50% of the hairs have shed. Is this normal this early on? My skin in the recipient area is also very dry sometimes and flakey although this has improved. I followed a strict post-op care regimen, applying aloe vera, HairCycle, and ATP spray religiously, which I credit with the quick removal of the scabs. The only thing I don't like about the procedure so far is ive had some shock loss of native hairs in my forelock although I heard this is normal and since there were no miniaturized hairs they will probably grow back.

If I'm shedding transplanted hairs right now, should I be worried? There is no pain, scabs or redness right now. The hairs are just falling in ones and twos.

• Administrators

The transplanted hairs shedding at 10 days is normal.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, this is totally normal and nothing to be worried about. Happy growing and keep your scalp out of the sun this summer! :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Chillax and be merry, just don't pick at your scabs and follow your doc's post op to the letter and you should be just fine.

Happy growing.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

At 12 days everything looks normal, there is no reason for you to be so alarmed, you have gone to a top proven surgeon so your result in time should reflect this.

My advice to you is to stop looking at your scalp trying to pick out faults. Just stick to the care regime and get on with life as normal as possible.

Don't be overly obsessive, it's a long journey to getting your hair back, if you are this picky now, then you might not make the finish line!:D

Happy growing.

IMHO, that is a little early to be shedding the grafts but don't see any harm or cause for alarm.

The real test will be in 3-4 months from now to see how the regrowth goes.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Also wanted to add for a lot of these hairs. I did not pluck them, but whenever I would put a hair between my fingers, they just fell right out. No force or plucking of any kind. I wouldn't damage my grafts that way right at day 13? Only blood means a lost graft?

Also wanted to add for a lot of these hairs. I did not pluck them, but whenever I would put a hair between my fingers, they just fell right out. No force or plucking of any kind. I wouldn't damage my grafts that way right at day 13? Only blood means a lost graft?

Exactly. A lost graft would hurt a little as well, and the general rule is no blood means everything is a-okay.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Almost 3 weeks post op. Shedding over I think. Now, in many places where I shed, there are tiny black dots that feel like stubble. They are shorter than the hair was when it was put into the recipient area. I attached some pics, you can see the black dots. They aren't pimples, and I can't be sure but I think they're growing.

I healed entirely within 4 days. The redness in the photo is not visible with the naked eye in normal lighting. Nobody has any idea I've had work done; could the early healing and rigorous post-op procedure I followed maybe indicate early refrowth?

IMG_5276.thumb.jpg.cfb95c8d2d93957d5238d28b22380739.jpg

IMG_5278.thumb.jpg.f93f9494708c1a565ba60748074aab1a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I healed entirely within 4 days. The redness in the photo is not visible with the naked eye in normal lighting. Nobody has any idea I've had work done; could the early healing and rigorous post-op procedure I followed maybe indicate early refrowth?

Quite possibly. Only time will tell though, tbh, so just remain cautiously optimistic that you're an early grower - and be especially grateful that you're able to move forward with nobody being the wiser about your procedure. ;)

Almost 3 weeks post op. Shedding over I think. Now, in many places where I shed, there are tiny black dots that feel like stubble. They are shorter than the hair was when it was put into the recipient area. I attached some pics, you can see the black dots. They aren't pimples, and I can't be sure but I think they're growing.

Could you please share your post-op procedure?

Could you please share your post-op procedure?

Post op I immediately started applying aloe vera in the form of a spray, as well as a product called HairCycle post-op biotin spray that someone recommended to me. I also applied the ATP spray that the clinic provided. I lost my scabs in 3-4 days. Redness mostly gone at the 7 week mark.

Here is my procedure review at the link below. I have had some shock loss I think and someone said it currently looks strange so I'm very worried. If anyone wants to check it out and chime in I would be thankful.

Dr. Koray Erdogan 1420 Grafts to Hairline - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients