Dr. Steven Gabel - Portland/Seattle - 3166 Grafts - Transgender Hairline Feminization

This patient is a 37-year old transgender female who desired to feminize her frontal hairline. Prior to the transplant, she had deep frontotemporal angles and a higher hairline then she wanted.

3166 follicular unit grafts were obtained via the strip FUT method and transplanted into the frontal zone with the goal of lowering her hairline, filling in the frontotemporal angles, and feminizing her overall appearance.

The photographs depict her progress at 1 month, 2 months, 3 months (home photos), and at 7 months when she returned to the office. She is extremely excited with the results thus far and plans to return at the 12-month mark to further document the progress of the hair transplant.

hfyoczdgef7qu99m1nzpnl2x2l91hbcb.jpg

sxcj87qfzlkk1d1iyywfgo5c4zt3n8m5.jpg

3g4cnipbxymhliu1dekkzqkhrgiz4kk5.jpg

213t37b398uj06iw0lrnul9511xixwzg.jpg

hlt1cr3vlobkps0w7ex6x6lj0egqh23i.jpg

wuj6xewdzz2u8xjhz1hpnid292o2kgcf.jpg

68aotznefrjlggfe1ys8czgi7x7rg6jh.jpg

e8fe4go1q6cxc4xban48bz653wk90j4g.jpg

8ggr27ofeiurchsvqn83lyti5hq9i823.jpg

9qyaem0081awzks19bep1m8y91vcozt2.jpg

v9youp9lbc7xgdsa9511225jhiyzwn7r.jpg

8p0dlke17q8d7i8zxwm0fxoaqv2ragol.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

It was a wonderful experience with you and your staff. The procedure went quicker than I expected, painless, and recovery went smoothly. The hairline you designed for me has exceeded my expectations. Only 7 months post-op and I get stopped by total strangers to compliment me on my hair several times a day (Curly hair has become vogue). They about fall over when I tell them I have had hair transplants to fix my hairline. Your work is amazing, and you have quite the eye for creating a flattering look. I cannot thank you enough for everything.

Fantastic work.... Not to mention those curls are quite impressive, Victoria! :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Impressive growth for the seventh month mark.

What a drastic difference a hairline can make in framing a face as masculine or feminine, kudos.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Impressive growth for the seventh month mark.

What a drastic difference a hairline can make in framing a face as masculine or feminine, kudos.

I have been nothing but pleased. It has made all the difference in my life during this journey. I mean, how he placed the hair to grow in such a way that it made such a profound difference in my appearance. Hair was the first on my list, as according to my research, took the longest to see results. Between the before and 7 month, I have only done 1 session of Laser Hair removal for my beard, with no other surgical proceedures and I already see a whole new person.

Does the result affect in some way from the hormone therapy which transgender people take.

Great job and result, by the way.

I'm not certain, I would assume that the absence of DHT would be the big plus in the scenario since its the one most noted for hairloss. I wouldn't imagine that Estrogen and Progeterone made too much of a difference.

What a difference in appearence, congratulations.

One questiont to the clinic: Could this type of hair be tranplanted with FUE?

For women the benefit in FUE is smaller I know, but I am really courious.

Also would be nice to compare against a similiar male case, to see the difference in the hairline design, but honestly: Long time I haven't seen such nice curls, so this will be difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not certain, I would assume that the absence of DHT would be the big plus in the scenario since its the one most noted for hairloss. I wouldn't imagine that Estrogen and Progeterone made too much of a difference.
Are you curbing your body's DHT production with the use of finasteride?

Yes. I am currently on 5mg/day of Finasteride to curb any residual DHT.
That's a full dose of proscar, how's your hair hanging in there? Feeling good?

I'm having no issues with my hair. I have had considerable regrowth on my crown while on finasteride, and Dr. Gabel fixed my temples where my hair wasn't going to fill in. I haven't noticed any shedding since starting Finasteride and Spironolactone in May of 2016, only regrowth.

I was on 5mg Finasteride, 200mg Sprionolactone, and 20mg/2weeks of Estradiol Valerate during my hair restoration procedure. Dr. Gabel did not see a need for me to stop any of them during my surgery or recovery.

I haven't noticed any of the adverse "side effects" mentioned online with Finasteride. With how well my hair restoration went, I've been doing quite well. My results have given me confidence and a better outlook on my future.

I'm having no issues with my hair. I have had considerable regrowth on my crown while on finasteride, and Dr. Gabel fixed my temples where my hair wasn't going to fill in. I haven't noticed any shedding since starting Finasteride and Spironolactone in May of 2016, only regrowth.

I was on 5mg Finasteride, 200mg Sprionolactone, and 20mg/2weeks of Estradiol Valerate during my hair restoration procedure. Dr. Gabel did not see a need for me to stop any of them during my surgery or recovery.

I haven't noticed any of the adverse "side effects" mentioned online with Finasteride. With how well my hair restoration went, I've been doing quite well. My results have given me confidence and a better outlook on my future.

Good to hear, I'm not overly familiar with how Estradiol Valerate reacts in the body or potentially clashes with a hormone inhibitor like finasteride, so I'll always defer to the medical opinion on that.

The Estradiol Valerate injections are pretty much just Estrogen as part of my transition from MtF gender. A sex hormone is required unless I wanted to deal with menopuse at 37. The high dose of Spironolactone is basically my prescribed Testosterone blocker. Finasteride was prescribed by my Endocrinologist at 5mg for additional protection from the masculinizing effects of DHT, and some help with my hairline.