Need help with making a (somewhat unique) decision about my HT

Firstly apologies as I have bombarded the forums a bit with different questions, however it's getting closer to crunch time regarding me having to make a decision about getting a HT. The reasons why I'll explain below. So am 28 y/o and have been on fin for the past 7 years which has stabilised the MPB somewhat, and up until this year I was actually fairly happy with where my hair was at. However recently in my opinion it seems to have been getting worse.

This is where it get's complicated, before it started getting worse I organised a massive long term overseas trip which would see me abroad for around 12 months. So no working and just travelling, awesome right? Of course but the thought of being overseas by myself and then having to stress about my hair should it get worse is throwing me into a vicious cycle of stress and anxiety, which is potentially ruining what should be an awesome time in my life.

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum about how to approach this. Given I will be off work for a year that's almost the perfect scenario to get a HT without anyone being suspicious. I was thinking about doing at least a few months travel (and bring along some Toppik as a safety net).. then head back home and reassess, and if it's impacting me that much to go ahead and get the HT (which would be in Belgium). after a few months of recovery and getting passed the ugly duckling stage I could head back out and resume my travels. Was hoping to draw on your guys experience here and get some advice, ultimately I know it's my decision at the end of the day, but I'm so caught up in my obession with my hair loss that I feel like I need a neutral party to weigh in.

I attached some pics of how I can make my hair look when I blowdry/hairspray it to hide the receding hairline (thats taken under fairly harsh bathroom lighting). Then also pics of what the actual hair looks like at it's worst. Does it look pretty normal when I try and hide it? If so I might just continue with the travelling and maybe even get the HT a few months before I return to work.

18893037_10154774046852153_4390105392650898359_n.jpg.e0df7bfe109e99b119be2cf5eca35677.jpg

18921770_10154774046357153_938882124092282141_n.jpg.6a45c2a51554d333b7bb04d1771e835a.jpg

19029544_10154774046477153_2390989717938951110_n.jpg.1f3385474bec9cc0b60f00ec55de6ea8.jpg

18951008_10154774047007153_1179195302550874797_n.jpg.bb2ce038cc2d53b43d071bf361a967c1.jpg

18838966_10154767771912153_3925409391238906859_n.jpg.c7a3f581691629c3ea5a7e29f4ca4f34.jpg

18922116_10154767771867153_7098791341824542021_n.jpg.472dd97d1754351fbb2c02896f5a82e3.jpg

18951291_10154767772027153_788383647925914565_n.jpg.6c19efb5dd462a9372d2e49be091d16c.jpg

I don't think you are a great candidate as you don't really need any work.I would not get one. The good news is that I think that you can "hold that pattern." Meaning that if it gets worse, you should be able to keep a similar look. There is no reason to transplant more aggressive than you have.

I understand you wanting a little beef up, but I think it looks fine.

No transplant is an emergency, and if it were me, I would take my travels and enjoy myself. If you decide to have one, there is no reason that you would have to take months off for your travels. After about 10 days, you can do anything you want to and just wear a hat.

You would only be a hairline case and can grow the hair a little longer and just brush forward and easily hide. But again, I would take my trip and worry about it when you get back. You are in a strong position as far as hair goes, and sometimes the best plan is to do nothing.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey benny

Not sure if overseas means Europe or North America but if Europe you can plan some consults into your travels. Some of the best FUE surgeons are located in London and the continent. You may have to wait a bit to get an actual surgerical date as well. On the consults you will find out if there is a consensus upon examination if your vision for your hair is possible and if it is appropriate given your age etc. Have a great trip and have fun with the consults.

I don't think you are a great candidate as you don't really need any work.I would not get one. The good news is that I think that you can "hold that pattern." Meaning that if it gets worse, you should be able to keep a similar look. There is no reason to transplant more aggressive than you have.

No transplant is an emergency, and if it were me, I would take my travels and enjoy myself. If you decide to have one, there is no reason that you would have to take months off for your travels. After about 10 days, you can do anything you want to and just wear a hat.

You would only be a hairline case and can grow the hair a little longer and just brush forward and easily hide. But again, I would take my trip and worry about it when you get back. You are in a strong position as far as hair goes, and sometimes the best plan is to do nothing.

Agree with everything Spanker says, you've got a great head of hair, don't mess with it, having gone through a FUE in Belgium myself you only need 10-14 days down time. Have you had any consultations yet? What have they said?

Thanks Spanker, I probably worded it in a way where it sounds like a last minute decision. But I've been sitting on this off and on for the past 5 years almost, and definitely done the due diligence when it comes to research. Point taken though, we probably scrutinise our hair more then the normal person.

It's mainly the front that bothers me, do you feel when I do it up like in the photos in is noticeable?

If I was Joe of the street, it would not be noticeable. As a hair guy, I'd say you have some minor miniaturization in the hairline that's not worth surgically trading at this point. If it's driving you crazy, go for it though.

I would just wait a few more years.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Come on Spanker, from the top view it is easily a norwood 2 with miniaturisation in a norwood 3 pattern. I see at least 20 every month on this forum with less or equal losses who go for a transplant, particularly at his age when it is noticeable and like he said he has stabilised on fin for the most part. Obviously he hides it incredibly well but living your life looking in the mirror trying to make sure you've hidden your hair loss effectively is no way to live, especially if this has gone on for over 5 years and is still stressing him out.

I'd say go for it, likely with a great European FUE hairline doctor like Bisanga, Feriduni or Lupanzula if you are set on Belgium.

Come on Spanker, from the top view it is easily a norwood 2 with miniaturisation in a norwood 3 pattern. I see at least 20 every month on this forum with less or equal losses who go for a transplant, particularly at his age when it is noticeable and like he said he has stabilised on fin for the most part. Obviously he hides it incredibly well but living your life looking in the mirror trying to make sure you've hidden your hair loss effectively is no way to live, especially if this has gone on for over 5 years and is still stressing him out.

I'd say go for it, likely with a great European FUE hairline doctor like Bisanga, Feriduni or Lupanzula if you are set on Belgium.

Thanks for the advice.

To clarify (as I'm curious about my Norwood pattern)... which top view are you referring to with the NW 2 into 3 pattern? With the hair done up or when it's exposed?

As mentioned im so used to hiding it I guess it wouldn't be that bad waiting around.

Front with your hairline pulled back.

Thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is if it appears that I have a nice head of hair (like a normal person that isn't balding) after I style it then I would be content to maybe leave it a bit longer and just get on with my travel.

Unless I'm having a very bad hair day it only takes 10-15 minutes to get it like that and the hairspray holds it fairly well.

hope that makes sense?

I'd think of it this way, you've spent over 5 years or so thinking about the problem and spend time every day getting it to a place where it looks good. Not only that, but eventually it will start to go backwards like you think you're seeing now and chances are you'll worry about it more in that case, not less.

And in saying that some of the photos and from the top and front you look like you have a full head of hair, and not only that but one that impresses. But you're definitely getting close to a norwood 3 with miniaturisation in that area.

If you have the money, why not get it done and stop worrying about it? Mine was like yours where my hair has a waviness and enough length to make it look like I had a full head of hair if I styled it that way, but I was sick of worrying about it. Only 2 months post op but glad I can feel positive about the situation rather than constantly anxious.

I have almost identical loss and am going to get an HT in the near future. Too many years worrying about it yet it has been stable for the past couple. 1500-2000max and you'll be good to go, just go to a top guy.

I'd think of it this way, you've spent over 5 years or so thinking about the problem and spend time every day getting it to a place where it looks good. Not only that, but eventually it will start to go backwards like you think you're seeing now and chances are you'll worry about it more in that case, not less.

And in saying that some of the photos and from the top and front you look like you have a full head of hair, and not only that but one that impresses. But you're definitely getting close to a norwood 3 with miniaturisation in that area.

If you have the money, why not get it done and stop worrying about it? Mine was like yours where my hair has a waviness and enough length to make it look like I had a full head of hair if I styled it that way, but I was sick of worrying about it. Only 2 months post op but glad I can feel positive about the situation rather than constantly anxious.

I guess it's the gravity of the surgery. Though not invasive what happens if it yields poor growth, then it's not reversible. I'm likely going with Ferudini so chances of good result are fairly high, but still. Not to mention shock loss as well.

Just weighing up pros and cons. When my hair looks good I don't tend to worry about it much so is it worth the trade off.. I'm not sure...

I have almost identical loss and am going to get an HT in the near future. Too many years worrying about it yet it has been stable for the past couple. 1500-2000max and you'll be good to go, just go to a top guy.

Waiting to hear back from Dr Feridunis office, they've been great so far and are in the midst of assessing my photos'forna quote.

6 months ago I got an estimate from Dr Paths (Thailand) and they said 3,000 grafts which seemed high.

I guess it's the gravity of the surgery. Though not invasive what happens if it yields poor growth, then it's not reversible. I'm likely going with Ferudini so chances of good result are fairly high, but still. Not to mention shock loss as well.

Just weighing up pros and cons. When my hair looks good I don't tend to worry about it much so is it worth the trade off.. I'm not sure...

Ferudini is incredible, I would have considered him but his price was almost twice that of Erdogan and I thought that Erdogan was better at getting larger coverage and transplanting thinning areas which I wanted rather than just dense packing of the bald areas.

The surgery is actually quite enjoyable if you're at a nice clinic. I think you should go for it, shock loss isn't likely in areas behind your thinning and bald areas so you should be fine. A worse prospect for a diffuse thinner, and the finasteride should help you avoid problems with it.

I do think you could do with 3000 grafts but I suspect Feriduni will suggest 2200-2500.

If you're able to take a full year off, then clearly you have resources. If it's bothering you that much, I say go for it and get it done. You can travel for a whole year and come back with more hair lol. If privacy is a big issue for you, I'd say take advantage of that whole year off.

I'd say stick with Feriduni if you got the money. Honestly you seem like the type that would stress out about all the "what-ifs" post procedure, so I'd go with the better doctor.

If you're able to take a full year off, then clearly you have resources. If it's bothering you that much, I say go for it and get it done. You can travel for a whole year and come back with more hair lol. If privacy is a big issue for you, I'd say take advantage of that whole year off.

I'd say stick with Feriduni if you got the money. Honestly you seem like the type that would stress out about all the "what-ifs" post procedure, so I'd go with the better doctor.

Financially it's not much of an issue. The trip is all self funded from my savings, and I can take a small loan for the HT if need be and could still get the same amount of time overseas either way from my budget calculations:

And yes you're 100% right lol.. I am a stresshead. And I would rather fork out extra money and travel further for better quality and then save money to go to a less reputable doctor.

The X factor should I go ahead with it is more around the recovery, the ugly duckling phase etc. I'm very self conscience about how I look and the last thing I want to do when I'm looking my worst is being in a different country with people I don't know. Hence the apprehension.

Firstly, let me say that believe me, I can relate to anyone who spends too much time worrying about their appearance. My biggest regret in life is how I let my worries dictate my life.

I think I have to agree with Spanker and others who say you might be better off waiting. You're a NW2 with a NW3 pattern showing, but still not fully materialized. You still have a fantastic head of hair and it's actually encouraging that you've been stressing about this for five years. Not because stressing is good, but because it means that your hairloss, despite starting at a fairly early age, isn't progressing rapidly.

I also agree with rev333 that it would be a good idea to go for consultations during your travels. At the very least do that.

The bottom line from my point of view is, your hair still looks great, you don't really look like a man who is balding and, if you got control of your tendency to be self-conscious (which I know if easier said than done), then you could go many years without your hairloss impacting upon your life.

If you put off going ahead with a procedure now, is it possible to fit one in at a later time?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Firstly, let me say that believe me, I can relate to anyone who spends too much time worrying about their appearance. My biggest regret in life is how I let my worries dictate my life.

I think I have to agree with Spanker and others who say you might be better off waiting. You're a NW2 with a NW3 pattern showing, but still not fully materialized. You still have a fantastic head of hair and it's actually encouraging that you've been stressing about this for five years. Not because stressing is good, but because it means that your hairloss, despite starting at a fairly early age, isn't progressing rapidly.

I also agree with rev333 that it would be a good idea to go for consultations during your travels. At the very least do that.

The bottom line from my point of view is, your hair still looks great, you don't really look like a man who is balding and, if you got control of your tendency to be self-conscious (which I know if easier said than done), then you could go many years without your hairloss impacting upon your life.

If you put off going ahead with a procedure now, is it possible to fit one in at a later time?

Thanks Matt, can definitely relate. I'm two different people depending on how my hair looks, if it looks good I am confident, outgoing, witty etc etc. but when it's not I'm the complete opposite and just feel like staying inside and not seeing anybody. So of course the prospect of being able to fix that permanently is tempting to say the least.

So realistically given I'd be going from Australia to Belgium (20+ hour flight) there's a few options -

1. I do it in October, after a few months of travel. Rest up at home for a month (optimistically) and head back out

2. I wait until say April/May next year, towards the end of my trip and before I go back to work

3. If I don't do the above, I don't think I'd get a chance to take a week or 2 off for around 1.5 years minimum.

Agree with everything Spanker says, you've got a great head of hair, don't mess with it, having gone through a FUE in Belgium myself you only need 10-14 days down time. Have you had any consultations yet? What have they said?

Apologies marty, I missed your reply. Who did you go with out of curiousity? And were you happy with the results.

Only sent photos via email given the very far distance between Belgium and Australia. So awaiting their response at this stage.

In most cases I would agree with Matt, however I've seen some of your old posts from years ago and no one who is posting on hair transplant forums for over five years asking whether they should get a transplant should wait any longer, especially when your situation isn't a huge job or high risk. I'd say get it as soon as you can. Especially because you have the time off it seems like a logical time to get the weight off your back and enjoy a trip overseas knowing the hair situation is on the upswing.

Is a hair transplant going to make a significant impact on your aesthetics? Nope.

That being said if you are occupied with your thoughts for 5 years already and it's bothering you then perhaps it is worth pulling the trigger.

Personally, for me, a peace of mind is priceless.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

All due respect to the OP but in my opinion he is not a good candidate for a hair transplant ,apart form the fact his hair looks pretty good as it is presently ,if someone procrastinates for so long I would suggest

there is a very good reason they're not taking the leap, and that is their personality , constantly wondering 'what if something goes wrong' etc ,this kind of personality I think even if they have a successful procedure wont be happy ,just forget it man and move on with your life.

If you do go ahead I would advise to to do it so you can recover in familiar surroundings, post transplant can be a very stressful time.

Edited by Mick50

All due respect to the OP but in my opinion he is not a good candidate for a hair transplant ,apart form the fact his hair looks pretty good as it is presently ,if someone procrastinates for so long I would suggest

there is a very good reason they're not taking the leap, and that is their personality , constantly wondering 'what if something goes wrong' etc ,this kind of personality I think even if they have a successful procedure wont be happy ,just forget it man and move on with your life.

If you do go ahead I would advise to to do it so you can recover in familiar surroundings, post transplant can be a very stressful time.

If the expected result is communicated to me beforehand I can keep my expectations in check. And if I don't like the sounds of the expected result, I just won't go through with it.

I've been procrastinating for a reason, I want to maximise the time with my exisiting hair as much as possible, I don't want to hop in too early as the results are permanent for better or worse. Up until probably November last year it was pretty easy to style my hair how I wanted without much fuss, but now it's getting harder and harder which would indicate that now is probably the right time.

If the expected result is communicated to me beforehand I can keep my expectations in check. And if I don't like the sounds of the expected result, I just won't go through with it.

I've been procrastinating for a reason, I want to maximise the time with my exisiting hair as much as possible, I don't want to hop in too early as the results are permanent for better or worse. Up until probably November last year it was pretty easy to style my hair how I wanted without much fuss, but now it's getting harder and harder which would indicate that now is probably the right time.

So this is why you made that other read (I posted in there too).

Our situations are similar, except you've been on fin a lot longer and my hair loss is a bit more severe in the front but still able to style/set my hair.

I am considering getting a HT later this year if I can, but I've only recently considered it and it's exactly for the same reason you just gave, i.e. getting increasingly more difficult to style the hair the way I want. I think that's the point of getting a HT for those like us. I think for the others, its for coverage and not so much styling options.

How is your donor area?