6 Month Post-Op (3,000 FUE)

Hey Folks,

I've really been quite dissatisfied with the results of my 3,000 graft FUE hair transplant. Albeit, I'm only six months post-op but to be completely honest, I haven't really noticed ANY new hair growth (which is a bit concerning).

I'm a 28 year old guy who spent $14K on this procedure with hopes that it would produce a decent result and give me some good coverage...

I'm not comfortable sharing the name of the recommended surgeon who did my procedure (at this stage) and don't think it would be fair to give his name at this point. Everyone says that you must wait to see final results at 12-18 months, I just figured I would have seen something by this point.

I'm pretty depressed about my current situation and the fact that I likely threw out $14K (still continuing to make payments on it). I could have put that money towards a down payment on a house but I guess that's the gamble we make when doing something like this.

First thumbnail attachment is 6 months post-op and the second and third are pre-op. Honestly, I notice zero regrowth at this point.

IMG_2664-2.thumb.jpg.c0961256508be836a0ac14ff07e7c060.jpg

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.679e14c1814f03304debc1f442474062.JPG

IMG_1396.thumb.jpg.9e4c595c2f05fe3b1004438ce81d9f60.jpg

Hey Folks,

I've really been quite dissatisfied with the results of my 3,000 graft FUE hair transplant. Albeit, I'm only six months post-op but to be completely honest, I haven't really noticed ANY new hair growth (which is a bit concerning).

I'm a 28 year old guy who spent $14K on this procedure with hopes that it would produce a decent result and give me some good coverage...

I'm not comfortable sharing the name of the recommended surgeon who did my procedure (at this stage) and don't think it would be fair to give his name at this point. Everyone says that you must wait to see final results at 12-18 months, I just figured I would have seen something by this point.

I'm pretty depressed about my current situation and the fact that I likely threw out $14K (still continuing to make payments on it). I could have put that money towards a down payment on a house but I guess that's the gamble we make when doing something like this.

First thumbnail attachment is 6 months post-op and the second and third are pre-op. Honestly, I notice zero regrowth at this point.

Do you have any photos of graft placement immediately post op

It does look fuller in some sections but hard to compare photos since hair is parted/matted in different areas.

Overall I can see how you would think the 6 month post op looks the same as the pre-ops but that is probably not the case on a closer look

Based on those photos, it is hard to see where 3000 grafts went. Cant even tell without post op photos. How does your donor area look? Any halo or thinning as a result of extractions? I think by 12 month mark it kind of seals the deal with new graft growth. you should at least see where growth is headed by month 8. Hope it turns around for you. Keep an eye on it.

Have you reached out to the recommended surgeon and raised your concerns?

Yes, that pic helps and the answer remains the same. It did not make a significant cosmetic change in appearance, almost the same as before. Definitely run it by the surgeon.

$14,000 for 3000 grafts? Thats like $4.67 per graft FUE. What was the fue extraction tool used? Motorized punch? Artas?

I'm not sure what tool was used to extract the grafts.

I spoke with the doctor the other day and he agreed that I was behind the curve. He indicated that 1 out of 10 patients may get really delayed growth and maybe that is the case with me.

He also said that we will continue to monitor growth over the next few months and that if things don't look good at 1 year, they would re-graft at no charge.

After thinking that through, it doesn't seem like a good idea to go back to the same surgeon and use another 3K grafts (I don't even think I have the donor for that anyways).

Shitty situation all around.

Edited by Murphy89

• 1 month later...

Note sure what is meant by behind the curve, however, you would probably not see a very substantial growth difference after the 8 month mark that can remedy your goal and concern IMO. I am sire others can chime in on this. Talk with the doc again about a possible remedy or something. I know the feeling really well. Keep your head up man. Talk to real patients and multiple docs at this point to get feedback. They may point you in the right direction.

Hm ... it does seem better but not 3000 grafts better.

Why don't you want to share the Doctor's name? It can help those of use who might be considering that doctor. Can you at least say what area is he from?

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

I would hang in there, the improvements in the hairline from the 6 month to 8 month are huge. At 6 months you had nothing and at 8 you have a shape and it is filling in.

I wouldn't lose heart just yet. Review things in person with your Doctor at the 12 month stage.

Are you doing anything to retain your hair like Propecia or Regaine?

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like there is some improvment from 6-8-8+.

Maybe you are really one of this late growers. This would be the second case I have seen.

However, your Pictures are also always strangely parted (or it appears like that). Maybe with some more length and a side part you would be already ok...ish.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the response! I guess I could try growing it longer on top but I prefer wearing my hair shorter.

I've seen a bunch of men who are completely bald in the front after receiving 3K grafts, and it looks like their hair is completely full. I wasn't even completely bald up front and it doesn't look like there was much filling in. I sort of have to comb my hair over in order to cover that bald spot.

Don't think I'm being unrealistic, was just expecting more fullness.

I compaired your 6 month photo to the 8+ month photo and your hair is definitely way thicker in the latest one. I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right but in the latest photo where you have the thin spot it looks like you had hair there at month 6? I'm wondering if you've had some shedding recently? I've read about this happening before and needing to give it some more time for this hair to grow back as well as the transplanted hairs that haven't grown yet. If you have had shedding hopefully this will grow back in the next couple of months. Fingers crossed for you you still have time

3215 grafts fue with ASMED (Dr Erdogan) 26th July 2017

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187806-nw3-3200-grafts-dr-erdogan.html

You still have four months but honestly I wouldn't expect any miracle. Some thickness may occur but not much!

Anyways the positive is that your condition is not worst and it can be easily fix in second round HT!

By the way do reveal the doctor name once you complete 12 months.

Good luck

IN the second round of photos it looked like your hairline grew in which was where many of the grafts were placed. The way the grafts were spread out behind the hairline I don't think is going to make a huge cosmetic impact. You'd need to go much more dense to get a noticable difference. But you should have a solid hairline. It's somehow possible that out of 3000 grafts only 2000 grafts survived. And those 2000 grafts were spread out over a large area and so the difference you're seeing is minimal. In addition, you could've lost hair in the interim. So you may have lost hair while the new hair grew in and now are back at square one, albeit with permanent hair where there would be none by now.

I do think this is a subpar result and it doesn't look like you got over 90% success. But the low spreading out of the grafts I think is partially to blame for this. Once again, your hairline should look fine right now and it doesn't.

I don't think this first HT was a waste....but a second HT is definitely something I would consider. You set sort of a base down, now you need to finish the job. And I'd definitely go to a different surgeon.