NW 4/5a, 2779 FUE, Dr. Diep

Jim75

You had visible donor miniturization, retrograde alopecia and poor quality hairs in general in the donor. I have a feeling your graft quality would have been very low contributing to the poor yield and you are almost the worst FUE candidate imaginable. Looks like about 10% of the grafts having sprouted.

Add to that quite a low hairline on a norwood 5 with terrible donor, and have to question Diep's thought process here.

To answer some PMs, I posted the current donor appearance (above). It's plenty thick, I don't see any redness, and the textured skin appearance from the extractions is long gone.

Also, here is another view of the tiny pinpoint and vellus hairs that are coming in. The first photo is from Day 14 (before the grafts shed), and the second is at Month 5. It's from the same spot that was bare pre-op, and I tried to make them match up as closely as possible.

The growth only started around Month 4, and although close to 40% have sprouted, most of them are still invisible from a distance. Patience...

Day14.JPG.826230df85a5327b80adb90be84315f6.JPG

5Months.JPG.2767fee6cc9f97d5c338b66b5d63486f.JPG

• 10 months later...

This guy had shockloss of the recipiant area. All those hairs that were their before disappeared. I wonder if those came back. It's the dark side of transplants no one talks much about what's the point to transplant 2 7k hairs if you lose at least 10% for fue yeild and then lose ur native hair their like another 500 hairs like him. Doctors never preach to customers about this. They should make it more of a point.

37 minutes ago, BlessUp said:

This guy had shockloss of the recipiant area. All those hairs that were their before disappeared. I wonder if those came back. It's the dark side of transplants no one talks much about what's the point to transplant 2 7k hairs if you lose at least 10% for fue yeild and then lose ur native hair their like another 500 hairs like him. Doctors never preach to customers about this. They should make it more of a point.

Blatantly and 100% wrong, this patient did not have any issues in the slightest with recipient shockloss and its very obvious from the pre-op photos. People overly worry about recipient shockloss because of ignorant posts like this mentioning it when there's zero sign of it occurring.

For the 10 or so less hairs on the entire scalp less than to begin with, there's a 99% chance that you can attribute it to progressive hairloss, automatically assuming shockloss is braindead. Native recipient density is virtually the same the only difference between a longer length in the pre-ops.

Progressive hair loss? The dude said he been that way for 15 years. 15 whole years and they happen to just fall out on their own after traumatic surgery. Come on

Looks at the first pics and look at month 5. It obvious his native hair took a hit during the surgery. 5 months is enough time for hair lenght to be the same. Theirs also shockloss in any transplant man why do you think your donor area looks like shit after fue. Or what do you think we call the ugly duckling phase for. The thing is the donor almost always comes back where as the recipiant area not as often. Obviously their varing degrees of it but everyone has some for of shockloss from minor to major.

When a transplant knocksout native hair it will accelerate the balding process. Even if it does come back it will be a degree thinner. That's how you bald, your hairs naturally shed in a cycle and come back thinner and finer the next time around the telogan phase is sped up and the anagen phase is shortened 

Edited by BlessUp

19 minutes ago, BlessUp said:

Progressive hair loss? The dude said he been that way for 15 years. 15 whole years and they happen to just fall out on their own after traumatic surgery. Come on

Looks at the first pics and look at month 5. It obvious his native hair took a hit during the surgery. Theirs also shockloss in any transplant man why do you think your donor area looks like shit after fue. Or what do you think we call the ugly duckling phase for. The thing is the donor almost always comes back where as the recipiant area not as often. Obviously their varing degrees of it but everyone has some for of shockloss from minor to major

The original point  you made was inaccurate, this patient did not suffer shock loss cosmetically important shockloss issues.  You're trying to sound helpful or make yourself sound smart by stating something which in this case clearly isn't relevant. I'll put the two photos up to compare, you're clearly talking out of your ass. Blaming doctors for this and hiding its possibility like you did (like in this case where it hasn't even occurred) is also dishonest.

It's called the ugly duckling phase because there's a big red mark in the shape of a hairline left and no growth,  it has absolutely nothing to do with shockloss. I've had multiple surgeries before including those with significant implanting into areas of existing hair and haven't experienced anything remotely resembling shockloss, so evidently it doesn't happen to "everyone". 

5b32f5758add8_Month3-Top.thumb.jpg.fc154ad98abbf5d0a8d92ef68b0ea313.jpg

5b32f411ccc6b_Pre-Top.thumb.jpg.e77203694b0e2493b2735fa41eb1e5ea.jpg

Edited by JeanLDD

Well u have minor shockloss then. And I can attest to me personal being on the medium shockloss category after surgery for recipiant with the same doctor. I'm not blaming him just saying my experience. I had major shockloss from donor area but it came back. I had a 3 inch by 3 inch empty hair box in my donor area. It been a year and recipient new thin spots that appeared after surgery never came back like my donor did.

I was not on finasteride prior to surgery were u on finasteride before ur surgery.

I call it the ugly duckling phase because you hair is fried and looks like shit after the traumatic surgery you get from punching 3k holes around existing hairs. This inevitable can cause you to be much thinner afterwards telogan effluvium until that hair hopefully grows back.

Edited by BlessUp

Just now, BlessUp said:

Well u have minor shockloss then. And I can attest to me personal being on the medium shockloss category after surgery for recipiant with the same doctor. I'm not blaming him just saying my experience. I had major shockloss from donor area but it came back. I had a 3 inch by 3 inch empty hair box in my donor area. It been a year and recipient new thin spots that appeared after surgery never came back like my donor did.

I was not on finasteride prior to surgery were u on finasteride before ur surgery.

I was which I'm sure helps. If you're not on finasteride you can hardly attribute it to shockloss, on top of that if your head is shaved for a procedure of course its going to look thinner than when its at regular length. Without finasteride more hair that isn't DHT resistant will be lost and that's not in doubt, so its not surprising that the recipient hairs didn't come back.

What I'm getting at is doctors should stress getting on finasteride leading up to surgery. They know that most likly it would help or prevent this issue but they dont make a point to say hey get on finasteride 6 months or 1years before surgery because if not you could have xzy happen

Some doctors do stress this I believe and wont operate if your not on finasteride. They all should be doin this and I feel we all would be better off if this is standard

Edited by BlessUp

1 minute ago, BlessUp said:

What I'm getting at is doctors should stress getting on finasteride leading up to surgery. They know that most likly it would help or prevent this issue but they dont make a point to say hey get on finasteride 6 months or 1years before surgery because if not you could have xzy happen

I agree that any good surgeon should be doing this.  Especially for a patient like OP who had a very poor and thinning donor also. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JeanLDD said:

I was which I'm sure helps. If you're not on finasteride you can hardly attribute it to shockloss, on top of that if your head is shaved for a procedure of course its going to look thinner than when its at regular length. Without finasteride more hair that isn't DHT resistant will be lost and that's not in doubt, so its not surprising that the recipient hairs didn't come back.

How can you make this statement when there’ no update? You’re saying the hairs didn’t come back when there’s no update beyond 4 months. 

There is no way to accurately judge a result at 4 months. Furthermore, unless you microscopically reviewed the donor you can not say with absolute certainty that the donor was thinning. 

I respect your opinion if that’s what you see, but I was also told the same thing by “forum” members. It’s nearly 5 years later and my hair looks better and stronger than ever. It’s difficult to judge a donor with short hair, especially with pictures alone. Let’s reserve judgement until an update is actually provided. Let’s try and be fair and objective.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How can you make this statement when there’ no update? You’re saying the hairs didn’t come back when there’s no update beyond 4 months. 

There is no way to accurately judge a result at 4 months. Furthermore, unless you microscopically reviewed the donor you can not say with absolute certainty that the donor was thinning. 

I respect your opinion if that’s what you see, but I was also told the same thing by “forum” members. It’s nearly 5 years later and my hair looks better and stronger than ever. It’s difficult to judge a donor with short hair, especially with pictures alone. Let’s reserve judgement until an update is actually provided. Let’s try and be fair and objective.

I'm not saying this? What are you talking about?

Not sure if you're referring to what the other person said but I'm specifically saying its obvious that shock loss has not occurred based on the pre-op to the 4 month. Nothing about the result so not sure how you interpreted it that way.

And the donor thinning is obvious, you don't need a microscope to see it. No reasonable person would disagree with this.

5b32f41205f45_Pre-Donor.thumb.jpg.4b1ed8790f5fb1eaffbf4973c5bfc407.jpg

Edited by JeanLDD

• Administrators
1 minute ago, JeanLDD said:

I'm not saying this? What are you talking about

Not sure if you're referring to what the other person said but I'm specifically saying its obvious that shock loss has not occurred based on the pre-op to the 4 month. Nothing about the result.

Maybe I misunderstood, but based on the post it seemed you said the recipient hairs didn’t grow due to DHT. I thought you meant the transplanted hair, I apologize if I was wrong. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 months later...