6.5 months FUE update by Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong in Bangkok

Hello all,

I just went in for my 6 month update with Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong in Bangkok, Thailand. As you can see from the attached pictures (right after surgery and at 6 months), there are areas where grafts have not seemed to grow. He also confirmed this and stated I should wait 4-5 more months before any touch up. As I am not sure if I even want to go through another procedure at this point, I agreed.

I just can't honestly tell if there will be any significant growth, especially in the missing hairline areas.

I will state, my overall experience with him was just OK. His staff, seem to be the type that are very nice to you before the surgery while they sell you the service and after it's done and any follow up, they are a pretty cold. I can't honestly say that makes me feel great about his clinic...so be weary.

Any comments on my progress would be appreciated.

Thank you.

unnamed.jpg.99c118b62c30cd99c928ac311e3bfd04.jpg

IMG_4672.thumb.jpg.8adb10a09a2456a18739038cc389c3d2.jpg

IMG_4675.thumb.jpg.e361eda85cbad4500eaaf459a89899b6.jpg

I can't tell anything. Have you tried to grow out your Hair? How any grafts did you have and honestly what zones? This is important for worldwide viewers to see and learn from. Thanks.

I can't tell anything. Have you tried to grow out your Hair? How many grafts did you have and honestly what zones? This is important for worldwide viewers to see and learn from. Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the comment.

I have not tried to grow out my hair as I have been trying to get a good gauge of how many grafts were successfully planted up until now but after this 6 month exam, I think I will start to grow it out now to accept any outcome I may get at this point.

I had roughly 1650 grafts placed to lower the hairline and fill in receding on the left and right areas and temples. There was also some placed in and around the crown and the top to thicken, it's hard to tell how those are but I am not so worried about that as I have overall decent coverage. I may have experienced some shock loss.

My main concern is the bottom hairline and the general denseness of that particular area. From the pics, which are a couple weeks after surgery and the present, you can clearly see missing patches where grafts should be, but there is nothing there.

I posted because I wanted to give others a sense of this particular Dr. and his clinic after some time has passed and as I had been asked by a few members and to see if any experts could give me some information on how they honestly felt my transplant is going/went.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

I see. I can see where the redness is. I just wanted to confirm placement. At this length and at this stage, it looks patchy in the center to the right side of your hairline. With some slight patches to the left side of your hairline. One side does look more sparse then the other. Not sure if substantial grafts would grow in by next month, but monitor it and take pics. Good way to measure sparse look is to grow it out and see how sunlight and normal room lighting affects the look. If you have a cosmetically see through look, then it may need repair. Hopefully, thinkgs change for you by the time you reach month 8. Keep an eye onnit though and let your surgeon know your concerns. Hope thisnis resolved soon. Thanks for sharing..

I see. I can see where the redness is. I just wanted to confirm placement. At this length and at this stage, it looks patchy in the center to the right side of your hairline. With some slight patches to the left side of your hairline. One side does look more sparse then the other. Not sure if substantial grafts would grow in by next month, but monitor it and take pics. Good way to measure sparse look is to grow it out and see how sunlight and normal room lighting affects the look. If you have a cosmetically see through look, then it may need repair. Hopefully, things change for you by the time you reach month 8. Keep an eye on it though and let your surgeon know your concerns. Hope this is resolved soon. Thanks for sharing..

Thanks for your comment and all your helpful suggestions. I will definitely keep this thread updated. I'm pretty new to these forums and to this type of surgery but I see, keeping people informed is the best, most helpful way for others to learn about their own experience, which is great.

My Dr. stated that he could touch up in 5-6 months if I was not happy but to be honest, since so many grafts seem to not take, I'm a bit hesitant to follow through with him?

Would you say my transplant was generally a success? I know it's not 100% but I know I'm not the worst case but definitely not the best either.

So, in your experience, do new hairs sprout after 6+ months?? I have read different answers on this subject, more saying that to some degree, there is more new sprouting, not necessarily tons, but growth does occur.

Thanks again.

You may still see some filling in the next few months but unfortunately, no one will be able to say for sure at this time if your final result will be satisfactory. You'll really need to wait it out as your doctor advised.

I'm not familiar with this doctor but it sounds like he is standing behind his work. Whether or not you choose to accept his offer of a touch up is something you'll need to think hard about. Sometimes hair transplant growth is subpar despite the best efforts of the surgeon, staff and the patient's careful aftercare practices. I had this experience with my first procedure and returned to the same doctor for a touch up which grew just fine. Others refuse to return to a doctor when a procedure yield sub-par growth.

If you're not sure, why not get a second opinion? In Bangkok we recommend Dr. Pathomvanich. You can also use this link to schedule free online consultations with any of the doctors we recommend.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

You may still see some filling in the next few months but unfortunately, no one will be able to say for sure at this time if your final result will be satisfactory. You'll really need to wait it out as your doctor advised.

I'm not familiar with this doctor but it sounds like he is standing behind his work. Whether or not you choose to accept his offer of a touch up is something you'll need to think hard about. Sometimes hair transplant growth is subpar despite the best efforts of the surgeon, staff and the patient's careful aftercare practices. I had this experience with my first procedure and returned to the same doctor for a touch up which grew just fine. Others refuse to return to a doctor when a procedure yield sub-par growth.

If you're not sure, why not get a second opinion? In Bangkok we recommend Dr. Pathomvanich. You can also use this link to schedule free online consultations with any of the doctors we recommend.

Thank you for your comment!

I see what you are saying. And I understand there are so many factors for a successful outcome.

I have read others experiences on this forum recently with their Dr's and staff and I am starting to feel like I had a similar sub par experience. I didn't think much about it at the time and was trying to hold professional judgement until enough time had passed but now realizing the staff was laughing and socializing quite a bit while I was in surgery was a bit unnerving and in hindsight seemed a bit unprofessional and possibly careless.

Especially now that they are very cold when going in for my follow up exam and my surgery not necessarily being a 100%, I am feeling very weary about going back to them.

He said there will be a discount of some sort to get a touch up but I'm not even sure what that discount entails.

I will start growing out my hair now, see how the next few months does and a grown out hairstyle will make me feel. I guess, my feeling at this point is, I think I'm better off than before? My hairline is lower, not as dense as I was expecting but maybe longer and a few more months will be enough for me I am hoping. Fingers crossed. I was originally hoping that I could keep a shaved head hairstyle but at this point, not sure if it will get much more dense. To the unknown person, they may not see it but it looks a bit lighter and you can sort of see my old hairline in certain lights.

Yes, I had originally looked into Dr. Path but they really pushed for FUT and didn't seem to 'specialize' in FUE. I won't lie and say that Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong claimed to specialize in FUE and the clinic offered a bit a lower price for FUE so they were also factors in my decision.

Maybe, I am paying for that inexperienced decision now?

But can someone answer one question...as an inexperienced person with this, is my transplant a complete failure? Percentage wise...?

Edited by htnewbieht

How does someone get some comments on this forum? I see many other post with many comments and I got one from a helpful member.

What gives?

You waited 6.5 months to make this post and you can't wait for more than two days for comments? This is not Facebook where you get comments 3 seconds after you post a cat video. Plus it's a Holiday Weekend in the US where we are all at Dieneyland.

I think you should grow your hair out more and then gauge how it looks before calling it a disaster. It look anything but to me!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

You waited 6.5 months to make this post and you can't wait for more than two days for comments? This is not Facebook where you get comments 3 seconds after you post a cat video. Plus it's a Holiday Weekend in the US where we are all at Dieneyland.

I think you should grow your hair out more and then gauge how it looks before calling it a disaster. It look anything but to me!

Fair enough. I guess, right now seems to be a crucial point for the transplant and I really had no idea if this thread would just disappear into oblivion.

My plan now is to grow it out and hope for the best.

It look anything but to me!

Not sure what this last comment meant but were you saying, it doesn't look like a disaster?

Thanks for the comment!

Not sure what this last comment meant but were you saying, it doesn't look like a disaster?

!

That is exactly what I was saying. Keep us posted!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I am at 7.5 months and at this point, have been growing my hair in. Daily, I feel it looks Ok and feel the missing grafts are generally more covered up then when I was shaving my head. I feel at this point, I will grow my hair out and eventually get some SMP to fill in missing grafts areas to darken a bit. I really don't want to get another surgery at this point and generally don't believe I need too.

With the flash, you can really see the missing areas pretty good but to be honest, when I took a picture of the top of my scalp which I attached, where I didn't have much work, it also shows a lot of scalp also so I don't know.

I've been going out without a hat a lot lately and don't think anyone notices or thinks I am losing my hair, at least I don't think so.

It also depends a lot on angles also but I guess that is normal.

I've attached some without a flash and also near a window with sunlight.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, not sure why some pics are upside down...apologies.

IMG_5482.thumb.jpg.043c2ead671c1d1d17c00d4c01d845d3.jpg

5b32f49a642f2_IMG_5487(1).thumb.jpg.e7ad91e9c1fbda66a98248c98d4c1a42.jpg

IMG_5484.thumb.jpg.bc3d836b091b2f9d5159aed9a2f1c4fd.jpg

IMG_5492.thumb.jpg.d51af2710d8b5373226694be50aca6dc.jpg

IMG_5489.thumb.jpg.056b6323a1a50854d125c2da671605d7.jpg

IMG_5490.thumb.jpg.6d37f7df20b50c40b047da96b4633499.jpg

IMG_5491.thumb.jpg.00ecb226fe9ec7f8c6c42af8d95775aa.jpg

IMG_5474.thumb.jpg.ff05789032ab2223f988cb399b56ad1e.jpg

IMG_5478.thumb.jpg.8a425fc9eb5390ed7f96d7642a69c421.jpg

IMG_5479.thumb.jpg.d4a17816cdc74a0dd1d249f3fe5b658d.jpg

Although your case may be different, I had surgery with this Dr. as well almost a year ago and I can say that the job was poorly done.

Also, I would agree that this Dr. is not a great help AFTER the surgery but emailed me constantly BEFORE the surgery.

If any of you are reading my comment and is deciding on going with this Dr. because of the price, be very careful. Based on your photos, the hairline doesn't look natural at all. Nonetheless, you should wait a few more months. I have been patient enough but as what my friends have told me who have gone under surgery, it seems like I need a corrective surgery.

Good luck to you. I feel your frustration with this Dr.

Although your case may be different, I had surgery with this Dr. as well almost a year ago and I can say that the job was poorly done.

Also, I would agree that this Dr. is not a great help AFTER the surgery but emailed me constantly BEFORE the surgery.

If any of you are reading my comment and is deciding on going with this Dr. because of the price, be very careful. Based on your photos, the hairline doesn't look natural at all. Nonetheless, you should wait a few more months. I have been patient enough but as what my friends have told me who have gone under surgery, it seems like I need a corrective surgery.

Good luck to you. I feel your frustration with this Dr.

Thanks for your sharing your experience and input about this Dr. I totally agree with everything you said about him.

As far as my hairline is concerned, I personally don't feel it is horrible and a complete disaster, not great for sure but honestly, no one notices anything about it. I ask friends who know I have had something done also and they say, it looks fine and that unless you were looking for something, people may think I was thinning in the front. Generally..with SMP, I feel the longer it is, the less likely I will have an issue. I guess, in the end, I still think I am better than I was before the surgery.

I'm curious why you think it looks so 'unnatural' besides the obvious fact that all grafts did not grow in?!

Also, would be curious to see your pics also.

Thanks again!

If you look at your last upside down photo, there are big gaps which gives you the "pluggy" look. Probably you are not very concerned about it or it may be subjective but nonetheless it shows a less than satisfactory work.

I have the same problem with my hairline but worse. He placed grafts with 2-3 hairs on my hairline. Anyhow, this time I picked a more reliable Dr. here in the US and am looking forward to my scheduled surgery in late August. I just wished I never went with this Dr. Anyhow, I learned my lesson the hard way and he got my hard earned cash already. Nothing I can really do except to warn others.

If you look at your last upside down photo, there are big gaps which gives you the "pluggy" look. Probably you are not very concerned about it or it may be subjective but nonetheless it shows a less than satisfactory work.

I have the same problem with my hairline but worse. He placed grafts with 2-3 hairs on my hairline. Anyhow, this time I picked a more reliable Dr. here in the US and am looking forward to my scheduled surgery in late August. I just wished I never went with this Dr. Anyhow, I learned my lesson the hard way and he got my hard earned cash already. Nothing I can really do except to warn others.

I see what are talking about. Yeah, outside light..depending on angles is not forgiving at all. I definitely have some gaps for sure but in normal lighting, it may just look like I'm thinning a bit. I have tried to research others HT's and even some successful ones seem to have more space in between transplanted than natives. I am hoping SMP can help out a bit with these issues.

In hindsight, I guess I wish I decided to go with the more reputable Dr. in Bangkok now. I guess the two main reasons at the time was because of price and the fact he didn't really promote or push for FUE as much as Dr Kongkiat Laorwong. It made me feel he didn't feel as confident. Oh well, I also have to live with this decision. But like I mentioned, I still think I am better off than before. I have a lot more to work with, be it SMP, or fibers, etc..to fill in and have an overall lower less receding hairline.

I have attached a few more pics under direct light in the bathroom to give you clearer idea. As you can see the difference between my normal hair that shows scalp and transplanted hairs. The gaps still show...but I am hoping smp can help. Sometimes, similar to my normal hair, dependent on angles.

Feel free to comment.

Anyhow, good luck with your new surgery!

IMG_5517.thumb.jpg.3690e8d5e101d19dd778cdd150dbcfb4.jpg

IMG_5518.thumb.jpg.439c3432267d5a60c9c8eda7cd400267.jpg

IMG_5521.thumb.jpg.671792726ebaf32fdc1876a558fc093b.jpg

IMG_5523.thumb.jpg.d6bb5a30f90b2f27a2350a47936768f9.jpg

IMG_5527.thumb.jpg.4fdc3348a1e4cd2d105be92670ddd0b9.jpg

IMG_5529.thumb.jpg.e73fda8b847428ac6986ad47b24b3f46.jpg

Looking good bro. For me, I understand that these doctors can't make it as good as we want it to be. There is no question about that. But it shouldn't look bad as well. And for the price that this doctor is asking for, much more skilled doctors in Turkey are available at a lower or similar price. Nonetheless, good luck to your procedures as well.

Looking good bro. For me, I understand that these doctors can't make it as good as we want it to be. There is no question about that. But it shouldn't look bad as well. And for the price that this doctor is asking for, much more skilled doctors in Turkey are available at a lower or similar price. Nonetheless, good luck to your procedures as well.

Thanks man.

Yeah, i totally agree. His cost are definitely not the cheapest and for what you pay, you should expect equal work. Like all the laughing and joking by the assistants while being under the knife, in afterthought is just way too much. They should be concentrating on all those grafts getting handled properly and placed in correctly. And the follow up is just rude and unprofessional. Going into follow up was ridiculous. They acted like I had never been there before! So insane.

Oh well, live and learn. Anyone else contemplating this Dr. Save your money and research another is my advice. You could end up having an Ok outcome like me, but maybe even worse...or could be better. I'd rather put my money on the better if I had to do it again.

• 9 months later...

I have had 2 FUE transplants with this Dr and 1 FUT with another Dr here in Aus and i can honestly say that i found this clinic much better than the Aus clinic, hence why i returned.

I think Dr Kongkiat and his staff are excellent.

One thing i thought interesting is that when i had my first surgery here in Aus one of the Techncians had had a transplant and he had a very similar hair to yours. The doctor told me that Asians with black hair and pale skin are almost impossible to get high density because of the contrast against their scalp but also their hair tends to grow forwards and not lie across itself like caucasians.

I think you would have had the same result with any doctor and i think your hair looks pretty natural.

Did you end up seeing anymore growth?

I have had 2 FUE transplants with this Dr and 1 FUT with another Dr here in Aus and i can honestly say that i found this clinic much better than the Aus clinic, hence why i returned.

I think Dr Kongkiat and his staff are excellent.

One thing i thought interesting is that when i had my first surgery here in Aus one of the Techncians had had a transplant and he had a very similar hair to yours. The doctor told me that Asians with black hair and pale skin are almost impossible to get high density because of the contrast against their scalp but also their hair tends to grow forwards and not lie across itself like caucasians.

I think you would have had the same result with any doctor and i think your hair looks pretty natural.

Did you end up seeing anymore growth?

No. No more growth. I see what you are saying about Asian hair and scalp but this was clearly patchy work with the surgery.

I just wear my hair a bit longer to hide the patchyness at this point. If I ever wanted to shave my head, I would have to get SMP or something of the like.

I just think that this Dr. is a bit neglecting and unprofessional after the fact. They get your money and forget about you as a customer or human right after.

Pretty horrible, especially when you think about how much money that the procedure cost for a country like Thailand.

I would not recommend this Dr to anyone. Stay clear away is my honest assessment.

• 2 months later...

I just had an FUE procedure with this doctor and I found him highly professional and meticulous. He only performs one procedure a day and is in the operating room almost the entire time. He is not very talkative but I don't find that to be an issue. I don't know what the results will be, bought the work looks cleaner than any of the other procedures I've had.

I can understand your concern about the chatty assistants. When the doctor is in the room, they are dead silent and only whisper at times to each other. When the doctor leaves, they are talking and having a laugh. Thai women are very light-hearted and love to joke so they do it a lot. I understand they are probably bored senseless doing the same repetitive task all day every day. I also don't like it. But the doctor was only out of the room for like 20 minutes total of the whole procedure. He was the most hands-on hair transplant I've had.

I will be making my own thread with photos and review. Hope your hair turned out well. Cheers.

Update:

My hair didn't get much better. Still very 'gappy'. I would never let that Dr. do my hair again and probably should have went with the more well known Dr. in Bkk. As I stated, I wanted FUE and this Dr. seemed to be more confident, and I will admit, a bit better priced than the other more known surgeon in Bkk. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a bit of money.

I can't help but feel he saw this review and had people defend him and his practice.

Anyhow, if any of you actually did have a surgery with him, maybe he saw this review and did a better job with you guys. If my review did anything, hopefully, that was it and he cleaned up his practices.

Still doesn't change the fact I spent 5k on shoddy permanent work. Ugh.