Hair loss from steroids -- transplant?

Hi guys,

Hi, I've always had a head of thick, curly hair. All my life I suffered from depression, but when I turned 20 it was at its worst. I made the stupid mistake of taking steroids as a means of getting some control over my life through my body. After a year on steroids I realised how foolish I had been, and stopped. When I truly registered the irreversible damage I had done to my hair I began taking Finasteride and Minoxidil. This has halted the hairline recession that the testosterone caused. Prior to the use of testosterone, I never experienced hair loss.

My question is:

Given the the fact that I didn't lose hair before taking high dose testosterone (500-750mg) and the fact that Finasteride and Minoxidil have halted the hair loss, should it be okay for me to get a small hairline transplant without having to worry too much about chasing my hairline? - Obviously I do not expect to return to my original hairline, as I know this would look unnatural at an older age. I simply want to add a bit to my hairline to hide some of the damage I have done.

PS - I have attached a photo of my current hairline (shaved the sides, usually they are bushy) and a photo of my old hairline from 3 years ago.

PS again - please do not flame me for using steroids. I was in a very dark place and did not consider the consequences. I know exactly how stupid it was, and have learned from my mistakes.

5b32f3d820bbf_Photoon24-05-2017at15_20.thumb.jpg.079f5d4309195fc8279d1111dbe97e4a.jpg

5b32f3d838edf_ScreenShot2017-05-26at03_06_50.png.23d77eacba5d83917f5d41726ccf9ab5.png

Edited by killersoup1

Steroids don't create hair loss where there would not be hair loss so hair loss is in your genetics, steroids just sped the process up. I've been a high level athlete my entire life and know more guys that use steroids than don't, if you weren't genetically disposed to hair loss it would've bounced back by now. Some guys get a little shed, telogen effluvium, but it'll bounce back that your hair has lost ground and remained that way means you were headed this way eventually. You will likely see further hair loss. That said, given that it has stabilized you are likely a candidate for a procedure but best to get in front of a hair doc and let them tell you where your progression may lead and what is suitable now and moving forward.

Good words of wisdom from Mikey. I agree that you were undoubtedly disposed to MPB and the use of steroids may have just jump started the progression.

MPB is a life long genetic trait and although through meds we can potentially slow down the progression, it never completely stops dead in its tracks.

The best thing to do is to get your scalp microscopically examined to see exactly where your scalp is showing miniaturization and also consider family history of the men on both sides, maternal and paternal. Chances are, you have male blood relatives who have MPB.

The good news is that you are responding favorably to hair loss meds.

BTW, I also agree that there does not appear to be signs of MPB in your photos. your hairline may just be moving into a more mature adult placement.

I definitely would not recommend any surgery at this point in time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Guest delhihairclinic

Actually True ! Steroids Contain Harmful Chemicals that block the blood supply to the head and the head doesn't get enough blood supply and ultimately results iin the Weakening of hair and results in Hair Loss from the scalp.

My testosterone is above the upper limit without taking steroids.

Is there a something with I can normalize it? Besides hair loss, I have a lot of pimples on my back, oily skin and a whole lot of other problems.

It's very disheartening to hear that I cannot stop the hair loss completely through meds. Got two more questions:

1. How much can Dutasteride potentially slow it down by? Could it buy me a couple decades before my hairline goes noticeably further back?

2. What do you guys think about Dutasteride? I feel as though if it helps more than Finasteride, then why not use it as a first line of attack?

Actually True ! Steroids Contain Harmful Chemicals that block the blood supply to the head and the head doesn't get enough blood supply and ultimately results iin the Weakening of hair and results in Hair Loss from the scalp.

nonsense. You're either genetically coded to lose hair or you're not, adding steroids just ups your dht which will not alter your genetic coding. If steroids contained harmful chemicals that worked against hair growth regardless of genetics every steroid user would show some degree of loss with use and it's simply not true.

I'd never take steroids, so I'm not concerned about its ability to expedite MPB in men who are susceptible to early hairloss/thinning/etc.

But what about creatine? Or creatine while taking fin?

Searching both the web and this forum, I've read (only) anecdotal evidence from both sides on this.

Edited by Ernie
Cuz I felt like it

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I'd never take steroids, so I'm not concerned about its ability to expedite MPB in men who are susceptible to early hairloss/thinning/etc.

But what about creatine? Or creatine while taking fin?

Searching both the web and this forum, I've read (only) anecdotal evidence from both sides on this.

Creatine has been studied pretty extensively and it's been shown to increase test levels which in turn means more dht. In theory since it's just dht and the amount is not that dramatic, a 5ar inhibitor should largely negate it's effects. As long as you're on fin you should be fine.

Thanks Mikey. Anybody else have any experience(s) and or thoughts about taking Creatine while on fin?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)