Starting the journey

So my main goal for this post is to get some feedback as I embark on my journey...

I'll start with some background info on me....

I am a 28 year old african-American. I first noticed I was losing my hair when I was 23.

I have used propecia in the past and I hated it. I experienced all the sexual side effects as well as some emotional side effects as well. Overall I hated my mood and my libdo on it.

I was on it for 6 months and hopping back on it at any point really is not an option to me. Otherwise medication has been limited to rogaine and biotin.

I've decided FUE is probably best for me since I like to wear my hair short.

Ive been doing a lot of reading here and I think Dr. Bahatti seems like a good choice. I am willing to travel anywhere as long as the price for the procedure is reasonable and the doctor has experience with AA hair.

Questions.....

From my photos is it to soon for FUE?

How many grafts do you think?

Is it a waste to get a HT if i won't be using propecia afterwards?

Anything else I should take note?

Any other doctors you'd recommend?

How important is punch size given my type of hair?

Thanks

5b32f3bc3812f_FullSizeRender(1).thumb.jpg.0c89c4c2cfdbad749d8ccf16967492d8.jpg

5b32f3bc61051_FullSizeRender(2).thumb.jpg.44d4e6ab3a8331371453033321864048.jpg

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.f1ef9b83bac0c630b02eb10be93bbcf9.jpg

IMG_4030.thumb.jpg.4e58a37439c5b57a7054be278652627d.jpg

Do you plan on wearing your hair that short? My recommendation would be to shave it off if your wearing it that short, maybe look into smp. At your age, no finasteride, short hair, it just doesn't seem worth it. The risk of but being happy due to these factors is too great to risk scaring, which you'll definitely have, which would make shaving more difficult.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You already got some great advice here but I'll throw in my two cents also. First, I agree that you've got a good head shape and you also appear to be fit. You'd probably look great with a shaved heard. Having said that, I also know that some folks are just not happy with the look.

You may be a candidate for FUE but, as already pointed out, you'd likely need to wear your hair longer in order to hide the scarring. The advantage of your hair type is that when longer, it can add to the illusion of density.

Since you've asked about punch size given your hair type, you are clearly aware of the challenges of performing FUE on African hair. If the hair curls significantly below the skin, harvesting the follicular unit with a smaller punch will result in transection. Because this can't be observed without performing some test extractions, there is an extra level of risk when traveling long distance for a procedure. You could potentially waste a lot of time and money traveling only to learn you're not a good candidate.

I suggest consulting with a few physicians. You can always schedule free online consultations with any of the docs we recommend using this link.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah to be honest the bald look is something I don't want to do, nor scalp tattoos. And can we define short hair.... By short I am referring to slightly longer than what you see in the pictures where I am not losing my hair. Is that still to short?

And if I am understanding correctly.... I am wasting my time & money if I do not take finasteride after a procedure?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
UPDATE.... Here in india, my procedure is tomorrow originally scheduled for 1200 grafts, but looks like only 800 will be available to extract after the test. I will keep everyone up to date about my total experience with Dr. Bhatti.

Thanks!

Hi Great1Stan,

Thank you for sharing your HT updates. Please do keep sharing your HT journey. We wish you all the best.

Regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 year later...

I do not expect anyone to believe me and rightfully so....

I had a horrible experience with Dr. Bhati.  I am updating this honestly because I forgot and was so upset at the time.

Long story short he mislead me on the thickness of the results, the amount extracted, and even the location of the transplants, all this after my surgery was rushed over 1 day because he forgot about me the first day I was there.  If anyone really cares I will go in depth, but I understand my credibility is questionable since I waited this long to follow up.

Hi GreatStan,

I would like to here more about your experience with Dr. Bhatti... would you be able to go into greater detail about what happened? Also if you have any pictures can you please post them so we can have a look for you? 

Edited by bruce90

Great1Stan

I for one am definitely intrigued to hear more about your experience.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

6 hours ago, Great1Stan said:

I had a horrible experience with Dr. Bhati.  I am updating this honestly because I forgot and was so upset at the time.

Long story short he mislead me on the thickness of the results, the amount extracted, and even the location of the transplants, all this after my surgery was rushed over 1 day because he forgot about me the first day I was there.  If anyone really cares I will go in depth, but I understand my credibility is questionable since I waited this long to follow up.

I don’t think your credibility is questioned as you were posting over a year ago. If you provide before intra and post op photos you can make your case.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Great1Stan said:

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. Would you mind posting some pictures of your results?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...