Can I smoke Marijuana 2 days before my hair transplant

Hello I would like to know if I could smoke marijuana is few days before my hair transplant surgery I have it scheduled for Monday, May 22 and would like to smoke one last time today May 19.

Can someone let me know if this is safe to do and if it will affect my hair transplant if I smoke weed a few day before my surgery.

Thanks

That's a question for your doctor. If you don't trust him enough to ask, you probably shouldn't have surgery with him.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That's a tough question that I can't answer with any authority, but I would err on the side of caution and try and go without. Do you plan to smoke it to settle your nerves?

I can understand not wanting to raise the issue with your surgeon and I think most if not all surgeons would simply say as I have and urge you not to, just to be cautious. Even the most experienced HT surgeons probably haven't seen any data on the subject because data almost certainly doesn't exist. And think of it this way, if a patient doesn't have a good result, are they likely to tell their doctor that they smoked marijuana?

Do you plan on smoking it after the procedure?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

IMHO, smoking cigarettes would be worse because of all of the chemicals that are added to manufactured cigs.

But both tobacco and pot produce restrictions to the body's circulation system and deprived oxygen to the blood. It's called hypoxia.

IMHO, any doctor would recommend that no smoking of any kind is the best advice...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 years later...

As the other mentioned, this is a question best reserved for your surgeon. It's always a good idea to be upfront and honest with them about any questions or concerns you have. And while I personally can't imagine smoking weed 48 hours before the procedure would have an effect, I also doubt there are any clear studies on this to provide a definitive answer either way... In which case, perhaps err on the side of caution and don't do it. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 1 year later...

It is best to avoid it few days before and after. Smoking can lead to reduced oxygen delivery and increased anethesia requirements. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

On 5/19/2017 at 9:53 PM, Sal0111 said:

Hello I would like to know if I could smoke marijuana is few days before my hair transplant surgery I have it scheduled for Monday, May 22 and would like to smoke one last time today May 19.

Can someone let me know if this is safe to do and if it will affect my hair transplant if I smoke weed a few day before my surgery.

Thanks

Since the OP thread was dated in 2017, surely he now knows what impact this had on his procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No would be my opinion.  Weed lowers your blood pressure.  It may be out of your system by surgery but I wouldn't try it.  It is a vasodilator. It relaxes blood vessels. Epinephrine is a vasoconstrictor and I think they use that to control bleeding during surgery.  I used to smoke alot of weed 40 years ago.  No problems really.  I took three hits last year for kicks.  Its legal in my state.  It interacted with blood pressure medicine.  I blacked out collapsed on the floor, hit my head on the stove 15 minutes after I smoked it.  The long term health effects of weed on your cardiovascular system or oxygenation of tissues maybe a separate issue.  Weed lowers testosterone  maybe that would lower dht.  Not sure how weed and finasteride would interact.

I am not a doctor but it would be interesting study.  I would stay away from any drugs or supplements  b4 any surgery unless you get the green light from your doctor b4 hand.  Ask your doctor to clarify would be my advice.  Clinics usually send you  pre-op list of do's and don't b4 and after surgery.  good luck...

• 2 years later...