Help needed in choosing surgeon in turkey or india

Hey everyone

Long time reader of this site and first time poster!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here who share their experience and give recommendations..you guys are awesome for helping guys like me :)

I am 27 and Lives in Canada...balding runs in the family and need in a transplant badly but can't decide on surgeon.

I read so many good reviews on doctors from turkey on this forum and contacted two of the best Dr. Koray Erdogan & Dr. Hakan Dogney.

Email exchange with Asmed:

They responded asking for more pictures and when I sent few more with wet hair, Dr. Koray responded saying that I need 4500 - 5000 grafts, (which is 2.5 €/ graft)...where I will end up 11,250 Euro which I can't afford at the moment. But as I see many "before and after" pictures in the internet, I believe I wont be needing that many grafts (may be 3000 - 3500 should do).

Email exchange with Dr. Hakan:

His assistant (Mustafa) responded very quickly saying that i might need 4000 grafts and its 2 €/ graft. but if I book a date this month, they will offer 25% discount. So will end up paying 6000 €. But im doubtful on this doctor because I saw a very bad review of him on this forum (I know its not ethical to judge someones work based on one or two bad reviews) but i am really worried.

Also, dr koray suggested that I should use Finasteride, but I see the side effects of it (so, not willing to take the risk). I see fantastic reviews of this doctor and his procedure and results seems absolutely phenomenal.

But from the people who use Finasteride, can I know how is your experience?

Is there any one who recently got the surgery from dr. hakan and may i know how is it? (his price is way cheaper than dr. koray but recent bad reputation is turn off)

Basically, Im looking for a good surgeon who performs FUE via manual punch and at reasonable price in turkey.

Indai: Ive seen few people go to india for transplant, because it is cheaper than turkey, but I don't know who is best..any recommendations are highly appreciated and thank you for responding.

Save up and see Koray, also the finasteride is a good idea. Been on it for around 6 months no sides.

Also I wouldn't let Hakan touch my scalp even if I was PAID to let him. There are (literally) hundreds of bad reviews of him ruining peoples lives, taking their money and destroying their donor areas. He doesn't use a manual punch either which you said you wanted.

If price is a key factor for you, I searched far and wide and Koray was the cheapest top tier and consistent surgeon by a long shot.

Where in Canada are you located...even though travel shouldn't be a big factor in deciding a doctor.

Being in Canada there is only 2 doctors to choose from is Hasson and Wong and Dr.Rahal(both for FUT).

I would also not let Dr.Hakan...way too many negative reviews.

If you decide to go the Turkey route and FUE Dr.Koray should be the guy. More of a well oiled factory but the results are always strong.

I live in Winnipeg man and I have seen good reviews on Hassan and wong but seems like Dr. Koray is cheaper than them. Moreover Im only looking for FUE at this point, so i think he is my best bet now...Thanks Mate :)

You should really look at Konior and Shapiro as well.

There are probably 3 - 4 doctors that are really good at FUE in the States and these are 2 of them.

Both wouldn't be that far from Winnipeg as well.

They're going to be more expensive however.

Hello, I would definitely not go with someone, that you question there results. This is something that will affect the way you look forever. I am of course sided with Asmed because that is who did my fue procedure. But definitely look into whomever makes you feel comfortable. I'm from the United States, so it is definitely a long trip to Istanbul. I think my main reason for commenting on this thread is because of the use of Fin. In my opinion, and I am not a doctor so take it as you see fit, a hair transplant is not worth getting unless you're able to get on fin, because you will continue to lose hair, including in the donor area, which will now be in you area of hairloss. FIN is the only method that is proven to stop male pattern baldness. The DHT that Fin stops from being produced can affect your donor hair as well. That's what has happened in my case. DHT is what causes hairloss and minturization of the hair in male pattern baldness. Fin will help you keep the hair you have as well as strengthen the donor hair. I am most surprised about people being surprised about receiving high graft counts. The average human has 100k-120k hairs on their head. In order to receive a realistic look that lasts years, high graft counts are necessary, in my opinion. Again I'm not a doctor but from what I have researched over the past several years, is that the lower graft procedures after 5 years look terrible and you have to go in for a touch up. I had 4000 Grafts done, and I think it's amazing what a doctor can do with such a low amount of Grafts in terms of coverage and getting a great result. They take those hairs and spread them over an area that would normally have 30k-50k hairs and make it look natural. Hope this helps!

Hey @ediee02, thank a lot man, I was one of the follower of your original post and it is one of the reason Ive decided to go with Asmed. I will consider using Fin for sure and thanks for all the info...Appreciate it :)

If you're getting quoted 5k grafts, you're obviously a high NW and therefore, should go with FUT. Also, if you can't afford an HT from a top surgeon then you're in no position to get an HT in the first place. If you think a quality HT is expensive, try spending money on multiple follow-ups/repairs. Don't be dumb.

No problem! My number one complaint I have with myself, is that I didn't start Fin years ago. I think my donor would be much thicker. I was still quoted of having 8500 hairs originally in my donor. And I've had 4000 taken. So there is some left in the bank. But hopefully the Fin will work! Good Luck! If I were you, I would save up the extra money it would cost to see a quality doctor. You won't regret it.

Thanks guys...especially @ediee02, Ive booked my surgery with Dr koray at ASMED with an estimated grafts of 4500 grafts, but mostly it will be below that after my consultation with the doctor. Will keep posting my updates along with some pictures.

I see you already chose, however I was in the same situation couple months ago. Dr. Koray wanted 5000 grafts transplanted in my particular case but for me was too much for the first time. So I did research further and found Dr. Ozgur Oztan from HLC clinic in Ankara (This particular clinic is very popular in Germany - (promotional link removed) you need to register and use translator if you would like to see reviews.), anyway good luck.