Why NOT to get an FUE- Interview with Dr. Willaim Reed- by Dr. Feller and Bloxham

Wow, another slugfest, what a surprise.

Cause everyone is so one-sided, there is no benefit for anyone. The badmouthing is just the icing on the cake.

There are two methods, both have their pros and their cons.

Interesting is how much the differences are percentage wise.

Then and then only, eEveryone knows what is the better choice and he can judge against his own situation and of course preference (e. g. how far do I want to shave down, how afraid am I from the strip scar,...).

Posting worst case scenarios will not help.

I thought this video last year by Dr. Lindsey was very educational about the challenges and problems with FUE.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Yaz that sounds really good for me.

I am at the end of my FUT journey and if I need more it will have to be FUE.

I have dental chair anxiety, which is actually much worse "face down".

So I worried about being "face down" for hours.

Glad to hear it's possible to do without being "face down".

If you dont mind, can you share how long you were in the chair if you

combine 6-7 hours for extraction followed by placement of 2400 FUE grafts?

Looking back it took 6-7 hours (maybe 5 hours) of extraction. Then 1 hour of slits making. The tiring part was graft insertion. I believe 4 hours. I do remember we started 8.30 am and finished around 6.30pm.

Intresting discussion....

I always wondered if strip has any affect on athletes performance?

Fue and Fut both leave scar...

The doctor should tell the patient what they think is best for them (each case is different) maximising the donor area and for the long term maybe more ht's would be needed down the line...

I think some would prefer the scaring in fue rather then Fut...

Why would someone want to go so low with the hair if they have a transplant anyway they should change the hair style to hide the donor area.

Also if further hair loss happened and a person had to buzz down say to

grade 1 would the fut scar not be more visable than fue dot like scar ?

I've seen bad FUTs and bad FUE and when both were shaved, the FUT looked much worse with the smiley scar.

I saw the very harvested donor on the FUE patient but somehow I think it looked much better than a FUT scar.

In my world, FUE looks better if everything turns out bad and patient needs go with plan B and shave.

Matt,

Why do you bother to participate when all you offer is vitriol and negativity ? Your comments only confuse and mislead people.

If they outlawed FUT today I could switch to a pure FUE practice and still do very well. I don't reject FUE for megasessions out of a need to preserve my business. I reject it because it is not what it's proponents and practitioners claim it to be.

The facts:

FUE does not allow you to shave your hair.

FUE is not less invasive.

FUE causes more trauma to grafts and donor area.

FUE does not grow as well as FUT.

Notice how no FUE practitioners have come online to refute any of those statements and the only one who tried got his butt whooped and disappeared ? (By the way, the way I beat that doctor was to post his own video of him removing (ripping) the FUE grafts from the donor area. You could hear the gasps from the viewers. )

FUE most certainly does NOT "sell itself". By far the most egregious, aggressive, and outright illegal marketing tactics are utilized by FUE salesman around the world to this very day.

So now that we've talked about my business, let's talk about yours, Matt. What do you do for a living ?

I'm not really trying to be negative. I just consider your business practices unethical and feel compelled to respond. You criticize my attitude, but you have a consistently unprofessional demeanor in my opinion.

You claim to care about facts, but apparently don't care about the fact that many people, including some in this thread, post their donors shaved to grade 1 or 0.5. And they usually don't look bad.

I'm sure that you would still make ends meet if you could do only FUE. And Exxon Mobil would probably still do ok if they were forced into alternative energy. But oil and gas is their gravy train and they'll be damned if it stops.

As for what I do for a living; I don't see how that's relevant.

I agree Matt27 Dr. Feller has a history of acting VERY unprofessional.

911 Fan.... so just because a doctor pays to be recommended on this site their opinion means more? haha Did you not know they all PAY to be on here?

I've had 4000 fue grafts taken and when my head is shaved you still can't tell. Every 6 months Feller starts his FUE bashing and it wins him more uneducated fans as well as more enemies.

Nah, you don't even know what my business practices are. We've never met nor ever done business together. And after 24 years of full time successful national and international practice, multiple clinics, thousands of patients and not a single lawsuit or litigation of any kind I think my business ethics and practices are pretty solid.

You are just angry because you don't want to accept the truth about FUE. Hey, if you are so convinced of it's merits why bother to attack me? Just go ahead and get it done. You certainly don't need my approval.

Dr. Feller,

Do you plan on interviewing or quoting doctors that are recommended here? The two that you're included, Dr. Lam and Dr. Reed, aren't Network recommended. I think that by getting doctors that are recommended on record supporting your points would help your position a lot.

I do plan on it. I will get as many doctors to share the truth as I can.

An interesting thing to note is that the nasty anonymous posters who constantly attack me for posting the realities of FUE think that I am trying to convince them. I know these uncivil and irrational people will never be swayed.

I post my writings and videos to counter the egregious hype and distortion created by these agenda driven laymen so that when patients who are truly interested in learning about hair transplantation will get all the true facts, not just the dishonest ones promoted by the likes of them.

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

I'm not really trying to be negative. I just consider your business practices unethical and feel compelled to respond. You criticize my attitude, but you have a consistently unprofessional demeanor in my opinion.

You claim to care about facts, but apparently don't care about the fact that many people, including some in this thread, post their donors shaved to grade 1 or 0.5. And they usually don't look bad.

I'm sure that you would still make ends meet if you could do only FUE. And Exxon Mobil would probably still do ok if they were forced into alternative energy. But oil and gas is their gravy train and they'll be damned if it stops.

As for what I do for a living; I don't see how that's relevant.

Nah, you don't even know what my business practices are. We've never met nor ever done business together. And after 24 years of full time successful national and international practice, multiple clinics, thousands of patients and not a single lawsuit or litigation of any kind I think my business ethics and practices are pretty solid.

You are just angry because you don't want to accept the truth about FUE. Hey, if you are so convinced of it's merits why bother to attack me? Just go ahead and get it done. You certainly don't need my approval.

That will NEVER happen, because I would NEVER shave my head whether I had ever had a transplant or not. I will say after 3 FUT surgeries my so-called "scar" has never been any issue what-so-ever. In fact on a 1-10 scale my so-called scar...(if it can even be called a scar)...has been a ZERO issue. I had to guide my hairdresser to it and he was like "I guess I see something".

That will also never happen because your an FUT patient and you CANT shave it without obvious scars on display.

Which is the Crux of this matter and the point in question

Just curious...do you think it is any less a true reflection of reality than the dark picture you supplied?

*My picture taken on Iphone HD display without any filters. Uploaded directly to site without tampering.

*My picture Doctored by you and unnaturally tampered using unknown 'brightening' setting on 3rd party photo editing app

Answering your question I would say a resounding Yes my picture bears more semblance

To reality

That will also never happen because your an FUT patient and you CANT shave it without obvious scars on display.

I doubt that is true....my "so called scar" is a big fat ZERO.

Which is the Crux of this matter and the point in question

Exactly the crux....it's not ever relevant to many, many patients and it is a way overblown scare tactic. Personally I'd rather have the strip scar than the shotgun blast scars.

But again 2EachHisOwn.....both have pros/cons.

*My picture taken on Iphone HD display without any filters. Uploaded directly to site without tampering. *My picture Doctored by you and unnaturally tampered using unknown 'brightening' setting on 3rd party photo editing app

Answering your question I would say a resounding Yes my picture bears more semblance

To reality

Yeah sure your dark picture is really an accurate portrayal...because it was taken with an i-phone doesn't mean it is a true reflection. I'll take a picture of my "so called scar" with really shitty lighting and then i can proclaim to someone that makes it more easily seen "oh but you've doctored my photo"....rolling eyes

Yeah sure your dark picture is really an accurate portrayal...because it was taken with an i-phone doesn't mean it is a true reflection. I'll take a picture of my "so called scar" with really shitty lighting and then i can proclaim to someone that makes it more easily seen "oh but you've doctored my photo"....rolling eyes

You have doctored the photo. It's not even a debate. Even with your disingenuous photo shopping the picture looks infinitely better than any strip scar I have seen.

An Utter fail on your behalf.

Let's see your head shaved short so people can measure the scars left by both techniques.

That's right. You can't shave it down as your an FUT patient

A few weeks back I was fortunate to meet 4 or 5 well known and respected industry figures (who will remain nameless) here in London. At least 3 are, or have been associated or actually worked for 3 different Coalition surgeons. I'd say between them they had over 60 years combined experience.

I talked to them for about 3 hours and not one of them had a good word to say about FUE. I found this funny considering all 3 of the clinics they worked for are marketing FUE quite heavily on their websites and in other media.

The words 'cr4p', 'overhyped' and 'not nearly as good as strip' came up quite often.

One even mentioned a certain poster on this site who's had a couple of FUE sessions at an FUE-only clinic. (This guy posts quite a lot of negative FUT comments, although most are fairly tame). Anyway, this guy I met said he saw the poster at an ISHRS conference and his result was 'extremely thin' and nothing like the result photos.

I just thought I'd share that with you as in my opinion you should not confuse online marketing (websites) with doctors (and reps) true beliefs about FUT and FUE.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You have doctored the photo. It's not even a debate. Even with your disingenuous photo shopping the picture looks infinitely better than any strip scar I have seen.

An Utter fail on your behalf.

Let's see your head shaved short so people can measure the scars left by both techniques.

That's right. You can't shave it down as your an FUT patient

Can we see your results? Clear pictures after the first FUE session, then the free repair 2nd session you had, then session number 3? Who was the doctor?

No fuzzy photos taken with a potato.

Thanks!

Can we see your results? Clear pictures after the first FUE session, then the free repair 2nd session you had, then session number 3? Who was the doctor?

No fuzzy photos taken with a potato.

Thanks!

Have shared them various times. However anyone interested just PM me.

Staying on point as this is not my results thread. Can you share a picture of your donor shaved down for interested posters as to measure scars left by both techniques?

Can you share a picture of your donor shaved down for interested posters as to measure scars left by both techniques?

Certainly, although no one ever claimed strip could be taken down below a grade 3.

Here is a grade 3. Not even the trained eye could see the scar unless the actually ran their fingers through it.

2.JPG.1c0af8de5cf1dc12418a1e9844f72e8d.JPG

4.JPG.2800ca33fa8f4a2654b96005933f9cb2.JPG

5b32f3d3cd456_After10.JPG.da2b94f475f3d69e4437d98fae9d2b32.JPG

You have doctored the photo. It's not even a debate. Even with your disingenuous photo shopping the picture looks infinitely better than any strip scar I have seen. An Utter fail on your behalf.

Of course it's "not even a debate".

I made the picture more easy to see with improved lighting

To be honest...for me if these scars from either approach

even really exist as an issue in most patients....

which I personally believe they are not an issue for most patients

but again if they are...for me the "smiley" works better than the "shotgun"

however what ever works...

if you're happy great

if I'm happy great

2EachHisOwn.

Certainly, although no one ever claimed strip could be taken down below a grade 3.

Here is a grade 3. Not even the trained eye could see the scar unless the actually ran their fingers through it.

lol. That's practically finger length. You could hide a small rodent in hair that long.

Guys with FUE are posting pictures with #1 or #0.5 in which the hair is so short you can see their scalp.

Just to clarify my opinion on the FUE vs. FUT thing - I do think that FUT is a good option for some people. Particularly those who have no interest in ever having very short hair. For the rest of us, the scar is a deal breaker.

Dr. Feller,

Thanks for presenting this video. I must admit, I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure the topic alone let alone the content is going to create a lot of controversy.

I do have to say however, that I think FUE is much more viable of a procedure than you seem to make it out to be in many of your posts. Now I say "seem" because I know that you're a proponent of FUE under certain circumstances. And I also know that you're mainly posting this kind of content because you're trying to show those who may be too far to the right about FUE that it's not as viable as these people act like it is.

In my opinion however, instead of pinning Strip and FUE against one another, it would be better to highlight the areas where FUE works well with Strip to create the best hair transplants.

Just my opinion.

On another note, it's great to hear from Dr. Reed again, even if it's through video. I know he is mostly if not totally retired from the hair restoration field. But I also have always known him to be one of the most honest and forthright surgeons and individuals. He's always had my utmost respect.

Best wishes,

Bill

A few weeks back I was fortunate to meet 4 or 5 well known and respected industry figures (who will remain nameless) here in London. At least 3 are, or have been associated or actually worked for 3 different Coalition surgeons. I'd say between them they had over 60 years combined experience.

I talked to them for about 3 hours and not one of them had a good word to say about FUE. I found this funny considering all 3 of the clinics they worked for are marketing FUE quite heavily on their websites and in other media.

The words 'cr4p', 'overhyped' and 'not nearly as good as strip' came up quite often.

One even mentioned a certain poster on this site who's had a couple of FUE sessions at an FUE-only clinic. (This guy posts quite a lot of negative FUT comments, although most are fairly tame). Anyway, this guy I met said he saw the poster at an ISHRS conference and his result was 'extremely thin' and nothing like the result photos.

I just thought I'd share that with you as in my opinion you should not confuse online marketing (websites) with doctors (and reps) true beliefs about FUT and FUE.

Yup.

There are two distinct "worlds" in which FUE exists: the online world and the real world. And I've worked thoroughly in both.

When I was moderating and writing in the online HT world as a medical student, I was enthralled with FUE. Everything I saw looked amazing, elegant, and cutting-edge. And I was 100% convinced I was going to open an exclusively FUE clinic when I was done with my training. I think I even told Bill and Mickey85 this at one time, and I know I told Dr. Feller this one of the first times I came to the office to watch surgery.

Then I had the opportunity to start observing and performing surgery in the "real" FUE world, and my opinion changed drastically.

I started doing both surgeries and seeing the difference in graft quality, donor management, and results. And not only results in mine and Dr. Feller's patients, but results from other clinics. And I've seen them all, including results from those touted as masters online and from those who tout that their FUE grows every bit as good as their FUT. And I was highly unimpressed -- as were the patients. I also started to see what the donors look like in real life, and realized it did not contort one iota with what I read online.

I also noticed something else that you touch on here: I was frequently seeing patients in consultations who had consulted with various other clinics; clinics who push FUE hard online and state that their FUE is on par or superior with their FUT. These patients came in and told me during the consultations that they met with all these guys and every SINGLE one recommended FUT over FUE for them. And these weren't NW VII 25 year old guys; they were the average patient, and when the audience was gone and they were both in the real office where the real surgery would take place, they recommended going with FUT.

And I've had multiple conversations with other physicians who believe and say the exact same thing. I recall two funny ones in particular. One was in the office and one was on a phone conference. They both slowly brought up the topic of FUE unsure about where we stood or the amount we were performing, and when we told them our honest philosophy on it, they both sighed an audible breath of relief and stated that they agreed 100%.

So despite some online believing we are saying these things in the face of reality or progress, I disagree and assert that you simply don't have the perspective on the day-to-day of real life hair transplant surgery. As I said before, I've lived in both and I understand the hype online, but it just does not jive with reality.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. Feller,

Thanks for presenting this video. I must admit, I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure the topic alone let alone the content is going to create a lot of controversy.

I do have to say however, that I think FUE is much more viable of a procedure than you seem to make it out to be in many of your posts. Now I say "seem" because I know that you're a proponent of FUE under certain circumstances. And I also know that you're mainly posting this kind of content because you're trying to show those who may be too far to the right about FUE that it's not as viable as these people act like it is.

In my opinion however, instead of pinning Strip and FUE against one another, it would be better to highlight the areas where FUE works well with Strip to create the best hair transplants.

Just my opinion.

On another note, it's great to hear from Dr. Reed again, even if it's through video. I know he is mostly if not totally retired from the hair restoration field. But I also have always known him to be one of the most honest and forthright surgeons and individuals. He's always had my utmost respect.

Best wishes,

Bill

As usual, nicely stated.

And it was great to talk with Dr. Reed again. He still very much has his finger on the "pulse" of the HT field, and continues his dedication to quality and patient care.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.