Trying to decide on whether I should get a second procedure.

Hey Guys, So I have a predicament. Actually, an obsession. I had a 3400 FUT last Jan. 2016 with Dr. Sharon Keene. As you can see in one of the pics, I was really bad, stage 5, worse than I realized. Denial is real.

Anyways, I had 1000 grafts in the crown and 2400 in the front. She gave me back my hairline, and when I grow it out, the front looks pretty good. However, I am still hat ridden because the crown is still weak and the mid center is really thinning out.

As of now, I think I can get a friend to loan me enough money for 1500 grafts since she did last time and I paid her back. Dr. Keene says 1500 would make a difference, but I'm skeptical. Using my friends credit card would get me 1500 grafts, but I would be in debt to her again for a surgery I don't even know is worth it.

I went to a meeting with Mike Ferco the other day. He is a representative of Hasson & Wong, and I felt like I was being sold a car actually, It was really weird because I know how awesome everyone says H&W are, but this guy came across like a salesman who works for Bosley. However, I liked him enough to see what he had to say, and he said for a stage 5, 7000 grafts is needed.

I do NOT have the money for 3500 grafts, but if I did I would drive right over the border (I'm in Seattle) and go to H&W. So I don't know what to do. Take my friends kind offer and get 1500 to 1600 grafts, or just try to get my credit straightened up over the next year so maybe I can get work done at H&W?

I am so sick of wearing my hat and its driving me crazy not knowing what to do. Any advice, expertise, perspective or criticism is welcomed. Please let me know what you would do given these circumstances. Is 1500 with Dr. Keene worth it?

20151228_123647(1).thumb.jpg.420476878f16ac43415e0ba9da77c203.jpg

20160205_083856.thumb.jpg.8504aa4a8d008982ed42f8d0cc306c8e.jpg

20170419_142812(1).thumb.jpg.6b05ff53965a60cedf782b7ad4323f5c.jpg

20170124_081337.thumb.jpg.4fc8cbb66cd7a6e39ac1178b33a1e105.jpg

Ferko rubbed me the same way he rubbed you. But Hasson and Wong results speak for themselves. I'd save up for them, if I were in your shoes... Money well spent.

It's not the same thing as buying a cheaper set of car tires. This is your head!!

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I would save up as well. With you in Seattle have you looked in to Dr Gabel, he's close by you and he's a legit top fut talent. He'll do a consult with you in person and let you know exactly what you'd need.

I had surgery with Hasson and I'd rate my experience at a 7.5/10. Couple things rubbed me the wrong way, but nothing too serious. One thing you can try for is a last minute cancellation appointment. I did this and had close to 3k grafts transplanted for under 10k and they even paid for the hotel.

I've also met and consulted with Gabel. He will give you the most honest and best options and he's very fair. If I could reverse time, I might have gone with him instead.

Be better to see clearer pics of the work you've had done ,but yes for a NW 5 you're looking at 7000 grafts donor permitting

, and even then you may not have complete coverage in the crown ,I was a NW5 and for my second op will have grafts placed from mid section going back into the crown if they take will be able to comb hair back over the crown .You'd be better of waiting till you have the money so you can do

the mid section into crown in one go ,1500 grafts wont cut it in my opinion, but obviously get as many consultations as you can from reputable docs.

I don't think it's good to say that a nw5 needs 7k grafts. They can take 7k, but it depends on what your expectations are, and that may be where Mike was coming from. He may you, listened to expectations, and gave that advice. If you were a 60 year old blank slate, you can do a nw5 for much less.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

the photos posted show you were a high NW before your first procedure, although the post op photos aren't that clear, its appears you got a decent result and your hairline looks very natural - you should be content with that. You now are talking about a 2nd procedure which you state you can't afford. Then you shouldn't even be considering it. Don't take a loan from family or friends or even a financial institution if you can't afford it. You will cause yourself only more stress by having a financial obligation to worry about after your procedure. Be content and have realistic expectations about your hair loss situation. The crown is not as important as the hairline and frontal zone. I have a bald crown and don't worry about it at all. Maybe I'll address it at some future point, maybe I won't. The positive side about waiting is also there may be other progress in hair growth in 2-5-7 years where you won't have to have a surgical procedure. My simple advice is be humble, content and most of all patient.

I don't think it's good to say that a nw5 needs 7k grafts. They can take 7k, but it depends on what your expectations are, and that may be where Mike was coming from. He may you, listened to expectations, and gave that advice. If you were a 60 year old blank slate, you can do a nw5 for much less.

Yes a NW 5 can take 7000 but sure expectation does play a big part Ive only had 4200 grafts and am very happy ,being thankful for the result I have is very important, thats why I'd like to see clearer pics from op because the work that's been done look pretty good .

the photos posted show you were a high NW before your first procedure, although the post op photos aren't that clear, its appears you got a decent result and your hairline looks very natural - you should be content with that. You now are talking about a 2nd procedure which you state you can't afford. Then you shouldn't even be considering it. Don't take a loan from family or friends or even a financial institution if you can't afford it. You will cause yourself only more stress by having a financial obligation to worry about after your procedure. Be content and have realistic expectations about your hair loss situation. The crown is not as important as the hairline and frontal zone. I have a bald crown and don't worry about it at all. Maybe I'll address it at some future point, maybe I won't. The positive side about waiting is also there may be other progress in hair growth in 2-5-7 years where you won't have to have a surgical procedure. My simple advice is be humble, content and most of all patient.

Great advice you're still young, be happy with the improvement you have and evaluate things when you have the money. better to wait anyway and see how your hair loss progresses. Believe me hair loss bothers men as they age not just the young guys

I had to cut my hair really short because I messed up a haircut I was giving myself, but these are the most recent pics I have when it is grown out, especially the one of me in my car. For some reason it looked thicker in the one with me in a black shirt, but I think I started shedding after that....I don't know. The crown looks better in this pic than I think it is, but I sometimes think 1500 grafts would seal the deal for me....The first one is pre-op

20151228_123321.thumb.jpg.4344ab356a5cd0d8d70bfb0727b6e857.jpg

20170421_110119_1492798063768.thumb.jpg.ef45839499dad5c49ea3efb13ffb46f4.jpg

20160819_104818.thumb.jpg.df9b98cf46f1249fc3e7ae8432cfc196.jpg

20160818_201853(1).thumb.jpg.e5272274e15287c4af549b3204c20752.jpg

I've heard similar feedback about Mike Ferko! Never met him myself though, but i did hear he wears a hair system.

You would be better off saving and going to who you really want to. You'll probably end up doing 2 more over 3 years when you could have just waited 1 or 2 and got it all done in one go.

Just a thought but Nanogen do concealers for auburn hair. Could be worth experimenting in the crown.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Be better to see clearer pics of the work you've had done ,but yes for a NW 5 you're looking at 7000 grafts donor permitting

, and even then you may not have complete coverage in the crown ,I was a NW5 and for my second op will have grafts placed from mid section going back into the crown if they take will be able to comb hair back over the crown .You'd be better of waiting till you have the money so you can do

the mid section into crown in one go ,1500 grafts wont cut it in my opinion, but obviously get as many consultations as you can from reputable docs.

I was a NW 6 and with a total of 4,000 grafts (2,400 grafts with first FUT, 900 grafts with second FUT, and 600 grafts at recent FUE to finish filling in crown) I have front and crown very nicely covered. Donor characteristics (density,caliber, contrast,etc). are key. There really is no absolute number. Having said that, I'd think that anyone that gets 7K grafts is going to have a pretty good result regardless, but its a lot of money and many can get good results with less.

I was a NW 6 and with a total of 4,000 grafts (2,400 grafts with first FUT, 900 grafts with second FUT, and 600 grafts at recent FUE to finish filling in crown) I have front and crown very nicely covered. Donor characteristics (density,caliber, contrast,etc). are key. There really is no absolute number. Having said that, I'd think that anyone that gets 7K grafts is going to have a pretty good result regardless, but its a lot of money and many can get good results with less.

So you found that the 1500 grafts did the trick after your initial 2400?

Very much so.

Your results look great so far, and I agree that it may be in your best interest to wait a little longer and try to save up some money/improve your credit and go to the doctor you really feel drawn to. You can also talk to your bank about taking out a loan if that's something you're interested in. I had good credit and a good, long-standing relationship with my bank and was able to take out a loan with close to 0% interest and pay less per month than I would for a car payment. So that's something to consider.

And for real - you've made great progress so far, so if you start to feel down about your hair in the meantime while you're waiting, just think of how much progress you've made and that will hopefully cheer you up. :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

With your wavy hair and a low colour contrast between your skin and hair, you've got your natural characteristics working in your favour. I do think you got a really great result from your first procedure.

With that in mind, I think you'd get noticeable improvement with another 1500 grafts, but it might not be enough to satisfy you. The best surgeons would certainly recommend a higher number to address your crown and mid-scalp areas. The crown is notorious for needing a lot of grafts.

Your hair looks really good how it is. I wouldn't rush into anything (and get into debt) especially for only minor improvement.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I travelled all the way from Melbourne Australia to Shapiro Medical Group in Minneapolis having waited years to save up for repair work. It was well worth the wait! I appreciate your need and KNOW what you are going through, BUT you really don't want to compromise when it comes to this sort of thing. good luck!

Man I'm grateful for your support everyone. Going to Dr. Keene again wouldn't be a compromise because she did and does great work, I just don't know if 1500 grafts is worth going into debt again. The first transplant was worth the debt, it gave me hope.