Question about Shedding/Growing Grafts

Hey everybody.

Of course I have already spoken with my doctor, I would just like some extra feedback.

5 weeks ago I had a FUE for front/crown. In the past 2 weeks a lot of shedding has occurred. My concern is this: There is hair that hasn't shed and is still the same length as the day of the operation. I would also like to mention that there is a lot of hair that hasn't shed that has grown quite well, nearly half inch long already. But again, my concern is that there are many, many grafts that simply have not shed nor grown, they are simply the same length as day 1. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks everybody

You're still at a very early stage. Those grafts that haven't shed might shed soon, or maybe they won't. They'll be nudged out once the follicle starts producing a new hair.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

At this point in time post-op you can also scrub your scalp a little bit more aggressively. I think you will find that more hair shafts from the grafts will come out. I presume all of the crusting is gone by now?

In approximately 3 months you should also begin seeing some new regrowth emerge and over 12 months the entire procedure will work itself out.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey matt and gill, thanks for the replies.

I understand its still early in the game, so I'm not all too worried.

The crusts all fell off exactly by the 2nd week. I was very gentle in removing the crust as to not pick, or scratch. The crust fell off nicely. I didn't have any shedding until about the 3rd week, and since then the shedding has been decent. I know I am restating what I already posted. But yes, in the past week I have started scrubbing more aggressively during shampoo and it's helping with the shedding, but the only hairs that are shedding are the grafts that have grown since the procedure. I'm still wondering about the hairs that haven't grown. I tried to research this on various websites, but I couldn't word my question precisely to find a good answer. I did happen to find one suggestion that said to use tweezers to gently put at the "non-growing" grafts to see if they will easily slide out. The review stated that doing this will remove the blockage and allow the space for the new follicle to start. (matt, I know you said that the new follicle would just push out the old hair) Well, anyways I tried, I took the tweezers, grabbed a hair, and with literally no force, the hair came out, no tension whatsoever; smoothly. Yet, I didn't pull at anymore. I don't want to do anything more to effect the results.

Not an advocate of pulling out graft hair with tweezers either.

Only one exception to this would be if the graft hair became festered and red at the base of the scalp.

But this would be a very rare exception and if that occurred, you would definitely want to first contact your surgeon for advise before doing anything.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

No worries. Try now to be patient as a watched kettle never boils.

Regards

Spex

Actually, it does. And can be proved empirically.

It is just that the process appears to go more slowly if one waits for it rather than engaging in other activities.

Therefore, I suggest you engage in something else, such as counting your chickens before they hatch.

No,wait...

Ignore my advice altogether.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

If one watches one's kettle, one is likely to get bored and start to worry that the kettle will never boil. One might even become concerned that the kettle is making odd noises.

• 3 weeks later...

To those who previously commented, thank you and hello again. I'm at the 2 month mark today. The shedding stopped pretty much after I first posted here 3 weeks ago.

All in all, I would say about 50% of the transplanted hair didn't shed. And I would say 50% of the hair that didn't shed still hasn't grown. It's still the same length; stubble when running my finger across it.

I'm super confused. Matt, I know you said that grafts that haven't grown or shed will most likely be nudged out by the new growth. That's encouraging, I'm just curious if anyone knows if this a somewhat rare occurrence or if it happens quite often. The math is that about 25% of the the transplant is still stubble. I understand it's early, but it just seems a little concerning. Any more feedback - much appreciated. :)

I found this response from a HT doctor regarding a patient who was experiencing a similar situation. This case was after 9 months, which would be more concerning. Nonetheless, this was the doctor's response:

May 25th, 2016

The stubble hairs are probably shafts from the grafts that were transplanted. These shafts normally would fall out or "shed" 3 to 6 weeks after a transplant.The bulbs remain under the scalp and become dormant for approximately 3 months. Then they grow new hair.

In your case the stubble hairs are these originally transplanted grafts shafts that have not shed and are actually trapping a new hair from growing. You can easily tell by gently tugging on the shaft with tweezers. They should come out. And NEW hair should follow.

I don't see any benefit in trying to remove the hairs. The follicles will grow regardless so it wouldn't achieve anything.

It's still very early days for you and the follicles are still in a state of confusion after their transplantation. Some of the hairs that haven't shed will probably just start growing without even shedding at all. I should've mentioned that before.

Month 2 is still very early days. You have absolutely no cause for concern as everything that you describe is well within the normal range of what to expect.