Just got my 1940 graft FUT two days ago but..

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. Just got my HT two days ago but the night during my sleep, I accidentally rubbed my head and it bleed.. And there it was.. I lost 1 graft.. I was really mad at myself for letting that happen..

Questions, will the surrounding grafts will get "hurt" as well? any stories of losing a graft of couple of grafts that eventually went ok?

I'll also attach a pic, my head here is a bit wet, kindly commend as well on the quality. Thanks!

Regards,

D

HT.JPG.1a163906b53fa94b7412d64d4486efc3.JPG

there was a post on here recently where a guy bumped his head pretty hard and lost several grafts in the area that got dislodged shortly after his procedure and there was no noticeable difference when his HT came in several months later. I believe he had his procedure with Dr. Konior. I don't think you have anything to worry about or stress over with the loss of 1 graft, it happens, don't lose sleep over it. Heal well and continue to do your post op regimen and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you and congrats on your HT.

thanks home!

Unfortunately I accidentally bumped my head again while sleeping! sigh.. i think i lost two grafts and slight bleeding.. I'm really mad at myself right now and scared if I'm killing my grated follicles in that area.. sigh..

I would definitely reach out to your surgeon just to keep him in the loop and let him know what's going on. But for now, I wouldn't stress too much over the loss of one or two grafts. It's not ideal, but when you're speaking in terms of a couple thousand grafts, this shouldn't make a visual impact at all.

The main thing I would worry about is how to prevent this from continuing to happen. I can be a pretty rough sleeper myself and was worried about doing something in my sleep to damage the grafts. (Just a couple mornings ago I woke myself up by hitting myself in the face super hard. Haha. Not a great way to start my morning. :) So when I was recovering post HT, I took extra precautions not to let this happen, some would say to the point of overkill. Using pillows and blankets, I made myself an elevated "cocoon" of some sort to sleep in that kept me extremely immobile and protected. Then (and this is the part that may seem extreme) I slept in a pair of cotton gloves and fastened them together and kept my hands at my waist. Then if one hand moved to launch towards my head, the other one would stop it and wake me up before that could happen. Extreme, perhaps, but successful nevertheless. :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I would definitely reach out to your surgeon just to keep him in the loop and let him know what's going on. But for now, I wouldn't stress too much over the loss of one or two grafts. It's not ideal, but when you're speaking in terms of a couple thousand grafts, this shouldn't make a visual impact at all.

The main thing I would worry about is how to prevent this from continuing to happen. I can be a pretty rough sleeper myself and was worried about doing something in my sleep to damage the grafts. (Just a couple mornings ago I woke myself up by hitting myself in the face super hard. Haha. Not a great way to start my morning. :) So when I was recovering post HT, I took extra precautions not to let this happen, some would say to the point of overkill. Using pillows and blankets, I made myself an elevated "cocoon" of some sort to sleep in that kept me extremely immobile and protected. Then (and this is the part that may seem extreme) I slept in a pair of cotton gloves and fastened them together and kept my hands at my waist. Then if one hand moved to launch towards my head, the other one would stop it and wake me up before that could happen. Extreme, perhaps, but successful nevertheless. :cool:

Thanks man. I think the cocoon and fastened cotton gloves are actually a good idea. Hmm.. maybe I'll try that tonight.

My current setup is raised 45 degree pillows and two large pillows at both sides.

But man, I really have to mentally will myself to not come close in touching my head while sleeping for a couple of weeks!

Daryl,

It happens. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

You know the cosmetic difference between a transplant of 1,939 grafts and one of 1,940 grafts? Pretty slim. If you only lost one -- or even a few -- grafts, it will have no cosmetic impact in the end. Nor does dislodging one graft usually affect the others after the fact. You probably just lost one graft, you'll be extra careful now (not that you weren't being already), and it won't be a problem.

Best of luck.

Dr B

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Daryl,

It happens. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

You know the cosmetic difference between a transplant of 1,939 grafts and one of 1,940 grafts? Pretty slim. If you only lost one -- or even a few -- grafts, it will have no cosmetic impact in the end. Nor does dislodging one graft usually affect the others after the fact. You probably just lost one graft, you'll be extra careful now (not that you weren't being already), and it won't be a problem.

Best of luck.

Dr B

Thanks Dr. Bloxham. I'm really extra careful now! ?

It's common to lose a few grafts from an accident such as a scratch or a bump. What's done is done ,can't stress over it, just be very careful going forward for the first couple of weeks of post op. By day 6 in most instances the grafts are relatively secure, but most doctors advise being ginger with them for ten to 14 days.

After which, almost universally, they are anchored to your head and have to be surgically dislodged.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. Just got my HT two days ago but the night during my sleep, I accidentally rubbed my head and it bleed.. And there it was.. I lost 1 graft.. I was really mad at myself for letting that happen..

Questions, will the surrounding grafts will get "hurt" as well? any stories of losing a graft of couple of grafts that eventually went ok?

I'll also attach a pic, my head here is a bit wet, kindly commend as well on the quality. Thanks!

Regards,

D

I think there have been many cases where people have bumped and lost a graft or two and been successful results. It is only one graft at the end of the day.