Smoking 1-2 cigarettes daily

Obviously, you should quit altogether and since you only smoke 1 to 2 a day it may not be very difficult. Any doctor will tell you however that you should stop before you have your procedure as this is medically proven to restrict the blood flow in your body and when you need optimal blood flow to deliver nutrients to your new grafts (once the new blood vessels form) then it is not a good idea to resume anytime soon after your procedure. If you absolutely have to resume give it two weeks minimum and while you should stick to your primary physician's recommendation I'm certain they would agree that that less you smoke the better your result will be.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

Smoking is bad for your health in general, and bad for your hair, as recommended, since you're not a chain smoker I'd make an effort to drop the habit in full.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

It has been said that nicotine is one of the most if not the most addictive substances known to humankind. I know this firsthand being a former smoker.

I smoked roughly 2 packs per day when I was finally diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. It took that and the removal of my right lung to motivate me enough to completely quit.

So if you only smoke several per day, quitting should be far easier than a heavy smoker. And the longer you smoke, chances are you will gradually increase the amount you smoke daily.

As others have already stated, smoking constricts the blood vessels and not ideal pre-op or post-op.

Stopping the habit is one of the best things that you can possibly do for yourself and your loved ones...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I took this thread to mean that rdg1982 generally smokes a bit more, but wondering if he slowed down to one or two a day leading up to surgery would it still have an impact on his results.

I remember Dr. Vories musing in one thread his graft survival rate would likely be even higher than it is already if so many of the patients in his area weren't smokers.

Yea tobacco needs to just go away, but $$$..

Outside just now thinking of my previous post, my chosen avatar pic, and as I smoked probably my 10th of the day..(

I always thought that was a cool avatar & wondered who that person could be ?

I took this thread to mean that rdg1982 generally smokes a bit more, but wondering if he slowed down to one or two a day leading up to surgery would it still have an impact on his results.

I remember Dr. Vories musing in one thread his graft survival rate would likely be even higher than it is already if so many of the patients in his area weren't smokers.

Yea tobacco needs to just go away, but $$$..

I don't really smoke much at all, maybe a few a week ..A box can last me a month! So yes it will be easy to stop, and i appreciate all the advice, but sometimes having a good smoke certainly helps destress me!!

Appreciate the comments ☺️

Vaping is supposed to be much safer but who knows?...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY