Dry Sauna and Steam after HT

Chev,

Interesting one. Not sure if I've been asked this personally before.

I don't like direct heat from the sun hitting the scalp in the post-operative period, but this is because of the potential to burn the scalp. So a little different in this scenario.

I think 10 days would probably be okay. A lot of saunas, hot tubs, etc, can be "hot beds" for bacteria -- they love warm, damp environments -- so make sure you aren't exposing the post-operative scalp to this. Also, be aware that the heat will cause a lot of vessels in the scalp to dilate and the post-op redness will likely appear more red after a session. But I'd probably tell one of my patients 10 days.

As always, make sure to discuss it with your clinic and follow their post-op instructions to the letter. If they say to avoid it for more than 10 days, do it!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

chevenowner1,

Great question and a very unique one at that. Blake gave a very thorough and comprehensive answer. Generally speaking, I don't think it's a good idea to sweat too much for the first 10 days after surgery. Other than the bacteria issue which is an important and serious one, sweating can produce itching and a tendency to want to touch the scalp, scratch it and potentially damage the grafts. Overall, I'd say avoid the sauna for at least 10 days to two weeks.

Best wishes,

Bill

chevenowner1,

Great question and a very unique one at that. Blake gave a very thorough and comprehensive answer. Generally speaking, I don't think it's a good idea to sweat too much for the first 10 days after surgery. Other than the bacteria issue which is an important and serious one, sweating can produce itching and a tendency to want to touch the scalp, scratch it and potentially damage the grafts. Overall, I'd say avoid the sauna for at least 10 days to two weeks.

Best wishes,

Bill

THANKS FOR the advice, it's been 15 days to my HT. I will start Sauna from Monday so another 4-5 days.