Feller and Bloxham

^ (Dr. Feller's last post above) ^ -- I'll admit it's nice to read that while I'm 32 days post-op from my second FUT...

Don't hate me everybody, but I really do feel that FUT is still king.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Gas, you sound like an FUE clinic representative to me. Why don't you just admit it and have your doctor come on here and debate me?

2. I have provided scientific data.

3. Finally, do you really need "scientific data" to know that if someone smashes down on your foot it will be damaged? Because that is the "proof" and the "data" you are asking for.

a. Your second question is a statement, more of an attack, than a question.

b. It doesn't matter how smart or educated someone is any field. If a physicist doesn't also perform hair transplants, why should I care what they think?

5. You are a laymen and can't understand any studies that are presented. They are not written for you, they are written for practicing surgeons.

6. Yes, grafts will grow worse if they are injured…Just as your foot will work worse if you drop a couch on it. No further analysis is needed.

7. Fast extraction causes more damage because all the detrimental forces are increased.

1. I start with one of you last statements. This just shows, how your mind works. Anyone who ask questions has to be an enemy. I am NOT a rep of any clinic nor ever have I promoted a clinic here or elsewhere (I am in a domestic forum as well). I would be a terrible FUE rep anyway, cause, if you read my posts carefully, I admit that I think you are right with a lot of your thesis. I am just questioning your way of bringing it across. But I am more than happy to give all my details including my scientific background to one of the moderators. After that you owe me an apology.

2. You have shown a lot of wrong “data”, you have shown few scientific data (as there isn’t much available) and most of it doesn’t answer my questions.

3. Yes, I do need this data, but more important: YOU need it as a HAT surgeon. As I had many smaller and bigger injuries from sports (to user your analogy) I know: Some (minor) injuries heal well over time. There are no longtime negative effects remaining. My questions was the same: Will the grafts heal if the trauma is minor and what is minor and what is major.

a. This coming from you (see 1.) is rather ironic.

b. This is rather scary though. The surgery itself is just a small part of hair transplantation research. I really hope you are listening to other researchers in this field even if they do not perform surgery themselves.

5. That is completely false. None of these papers are exclusively for hairtransplant surgeons nor do you know my (or others) scientific reading comprehension.

6. I think this topic was addressed before (see 3.)

7. You have repeated this very often. I understand your point, but I like data more than opinion (even an educated opinion as yours). To explain my question a little more: Friction has a non-linear dependency on velocity. Hence, there is an ideal velocity cutting through any material (also skin) depending on the material combination and the sharpness of your device. Operating above but also below (!) this speed creates higher friction and in you case higher effect (damage) on the grafts.

To sum it up, I am not against FUT. I believe (!) FUT gives better results in average and is the best for all "bigger" cases. I believe FUT gives you more grafts in total. I just believe there is a crossing point (besides other topics such as skin laxity) and below this number (of grafts) FUE is better. I personally think I am close to this borderline, hence I want to understand more to make the right decision for myself (sorry, this comes across selfhish but it is true).

Finally, I have visited two clinics in europe to discuss the best options for myself. Both are highly recommended in this forum and both are performing FUT and FUE.

1. I start with one of you last statements. This just shows, how your mind works. Anyone who ask questions has to be an enemy. I am NOT a rep of any clinic nor ever have I promoted a clinic here or elsewhere (I am in a domestic forum as well). I would be a terrible FUE rep anyway, cause, if you read my posts carefully, I admit that I think you are right with a lot of your thesis. I am just questioning your way of bringing it across. But I am more than happy to give all my details including my scientific background to one of the moderators. After that you owe me an apology.

2. You have shown a lot of wrong “data”, you have shown few scientific data (as there isn’t much available) and most of it doesn’t answer my questions.

3. Yes, I do need this data, but more important: YOU need it as a HAT surgeon. As I had many smaller and bigger injuries from sports (to user your analogy) I know: Some (minor) injuries heal well over time. There are no longtime negative effects remaining. My questions was the same: Will the grafts heal if the trauma is minor and what is minor and what is major.

a. This coming from you (see 1.) is rather ironic.

b. This is rather scary though. The surgery itself is just a small part of hair transplantation research. I really hope you are listening to other researchers in this field even if they do not perform surgery themselves.

5. That is completely false. None of these papers are exclusively for hairtransplant surgeons nor do you know my (or others) scientific reading comprehension.

6. I think this topic was addressed before (see 3.)

7. You have repeated this very often. I understand your point, but I like data more than opinion (even an educated opinion as yours). To explain my question a little more: Friction has a non-linear dependency on velocity. Hence, there is an ideal velocity cutting through any material (also skin) depending on the material combination and the sharpness of your device. Operating above but also below (!) this speed creates higher friction and in you case higher effect (damage) on the grafts.

To sum it up, I am not against FUT. I believe (!) FUT gives better results in average and is the best for all "bigger" cases. I believe FUT gives you more grafts in total. I just believe there is a crossing point (besides other topics such as skin laxity) and below this number (of grafts) FUE is better. I personally think I am close to this borderline, hence I want to understand more to make the right decision for myself (sorry, this comes across selfhish but it is true).

Finally, I have visited two clinics in europe to discuss the best options for myself. Both are highly recommended in this forum and both are performing FUT and FUE.

If you understand and agree that FUT gives better results on average and is the best for all bigger hair transplant surgeries, then I have done my job. Best of luck to you.

If you say you are not a covert FUE rep, then I believe you and do apologize. It seems we are on the same page. Forgive me as I am just used to being attacked subtly and viciously by FUE cheerleaders, chest beaters, and zealots -several of whom have been banned.

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

Dr Feller makes excellent points and they are definitely worth noting.

You have a better shot at getting better grafts with strip. Ive been told FUT matches FUE. Definitely take a look at surgical consent forms orior tonoutting down a deposit if you can. If you do not get a consent form prior to deposit, then do not put the deposit down.

Avoid clinics that have techs or nurses do what is considered surgery.

This is a serious surgery and you cannot do something that may screw you up later. It is best to avoid any surgery but if you gonfor it, definitely weigh opinions od existing patients. See if you can meet any.

Would love to hear from a FUE doctor who uses techs and or doesn't perform FUT.

If I ran a business and a competitor said that my product was inferior I would be sticking up for my product or service rendered.

Would also like to hear from a doctor who uses the ARTAS machine.

Most doctors that are world renowned on this forum do manual FUE and have pretty much said the machine isn't at all adequate for their standards.

Even the people that don't agree with Dr.Feller at least he's got his strong convictions and will stand up for what he believes.

Whether you agree or disagree on the way he delivers his message.

Would love to hear from a FUE doctor who uses techs and or doesn't perform FUT.

If I ran a business and a competitor said that my product was inferior I would be sticking up for my product or service rendered.

Would also like to hear from a doctor who uses the ARTAS machine.

Most doctors that are world renowned on this forum do manual FUE and have pretty much said the machine isn't at all adequate for their standards.

Even the people that don't agree with Dr.Feller at least he's got his strong convictions and will stand up for what he believes.

Whether you agree or disagree on the way he delivers his message.

Yes it would be great if someone like Erdogan would input on this thread but that aint gonna happen ,and yes Dr feller does have strong convictions I've always liked his zeal and obvious

passion for his work, I would have no problem going to him for a hair transplant as I feel he would tell me how it was and not give me any BS, in saying that he does bring out the worst in people with the tone he uses.

One FUE Doc did enter the previous FUE/FUSS debate but he was on a hiding to nothing with the way he approached it.

As there are recommended Docs on here who use techs/nurses for the surgical aspects of transplants, maybe some updating regarding this matter from the moderators on this site is in order.

Edited by Mick50

Yes it would be great if someone like Erdogan would input on this thread but that aint gonna happen ,and yes Dr feller does have strong convictions I've always liked his zeal and obvious

passion for his work, I would have no problem going to him for a hair transplant as I feel he would tell me how it was and not give me any BS, in saying that he does bring out the worst in people with the tone he uses.

One FUE Doc did enter the previous FUE/FUSS debate but he was on a hiding to nothing with the way he approached it.

As there are recommended Docs on here who use techs/nurses for the surgical aspects of transplants, maybe some updating regarding this matter from the moderators on this site is in order.

lol definitely not going to happen. No top doc that does any regular amount of fue is entering this mess. If you want an answer, book a consult go in and ask and they'll talk your ear off about this. That's the only way you'll hear from them on this.

It would be nice to be able to click on Dr.Cooleys profile and there are stats:

FUE:

• Started performing FUE in 2014
  • Doctor does this - 1 , 2 and 3
  • Techs or nurses do x%
  • x% of all surgeries are FUE
  • Manual punch
  • Average case
  • Ethnicity ratio

FUT

• started performing FUT in 1999
  • type of scar closure
  • How many techs and their experience
  • Average case
  • Philosophy on mega sessions

We recommend Acell for all procedures etc.

*All above statements are for arguments sake*

I've found that there are people who come on here and it is awakening. This site is great but they see 1 or 2 good results and jump right into. One poster really comes to mind in the last 2 days or so!

Again this is the best site for research and information and its not even close.

If you say you are not a covert FUE rep, then I believe you and do apologize.

Appology accepted, thank you.

I still believe you could convince (or educate) more people if you would change your approach, but who am I to judge. If you have more data/papers to share, I am sure many members would appreciate. Maybe we (forum members) surpise you as well with their understanding of it.

I have a third consultation in August and then hopefully make a wise decision...

FUE:

• Started performing FUE in 2014
  • Doctor does this - 1 , 2 and 3
  • Techs or nurses do x%
  • x% of all surgeries are FUE
  • Manual punch
  • Average case
  • Ethnicity ratio

FUT

• started performing FUT in 1999
  • type of scar closure
  • How many techs and their experience
  • Average case
  • Philosophy on mega sessions

We recommend Acell for all procedures etc.

Sth. like that woul be great! Couldn't the e. g. IAHRS makes this as a part of their memberhip conditions?

Everything being posted here by Feller and Bloxham is just their OPINION. Its just noise backed up with nothing to suit their clinics agenda. As someone said we are back to 2015 with endless marketing and propaganda videos designed to drum up business.

Referencing studies by other individual Dr's who favour a FUT technique means nothing. Dr Feller does not perform large scale FUE. Its a simple as that. A large part of the outcome of a successful procedure comes down to the surgeons skill which he must not have. Otherwise he would be doing it.

There are countless large scale FUE results patient posted online and otherwise by Lorenzo, Erdogen , Bisanga, Feriduni , Vories etc etc

The message to prospective patients is research patient posted results. , view patients results in person. The proof is in the pudding. Don't listen to any single voice online.

Personally i agree with the statement FUT will yield slightly more but by that a small margin.. Most people will happily sacrifice that for the added benefits of not having a FUT scar and the limitations and risk that come with that.

And i agree that a high norwood with an appropriate Donor situation may well be best suited to FUT.

Whats not being mentioned is there no guarantees with either technique and there are risks of poor growth with both FUE and FUT. With FUT you lose the walk away option. You can never shave your hair down short if things go awry or your loss out strips your donor or budget. Well you can if you want an ear to ear scar on display and to be branded a public HT failure.

What i cannot agree here with is the complete hatchet job Dr Feller paints on the FUE technique. Ive consulted with various FUE & FUT DR's. They are laughing at his posts and have no interest in becoming embroiled in a childlish debate on a forum. They are too busy with bookings.

Btw still waiting on all of those MFUE results.

Edited by BaldingBogger

Thank you. This website would definitely lose credibility and trust if those of us trying to be diligent in our research find that there are conflicts of interest on here with technicians selling / performing hair transplants

With respect to point #1:

Obviously, when researching hair transplantation it's important to garner an understanding of a doctor's body of work. There's no denying that one of the most fundamentally relevant forms this will take for any prospective patient is to view results, as presented by the doctor/clinic in question. That said, to promote an approach which focuses on these presentations to the exclusion of almost all other sources is, to my mind, demonstrably incorrect (if this wasn't your intention, it's certainly unclear in this video).

Much in the same way you (or indeed any other right-thinking member of our "community") have a healthy disdain for shills who would champion a certain technique/doctor above all others (or illegitimately denigrate those whose tenets/work they are in competition with), any patient considering hair transplantation should also approach clinic posted results and opinions with a healthy degree of moderacy. They ought to be imbued with the knowledge that these clinics have a de facto self-serving interest in only presenting their most successful cases. These posts are not made as interesting case studies (though they may well serve that purpose), they are direct advertisements for the surgeon in question's work and have been adjudged by the source to be not only representative of their work, but their best work.

I do not mean to suggest that such examples are to be routinely treated with extreme skepticism (though in certain cases, depending on the manner of presentation and facts disseminated, they perhaps ought to be), nor would I assert that by simple virtue of their origin they are entirely compromised as a learning resource. Lucidly, if a doctor/clinic posts a plethora of impressive results, it should not be discounted!

I believe it is extremely important, where possible, to seek out patient posted results (and not only comments on results from the clinic itself, re: point #4 in your video) as a complimentary base of knowledge. An equilibrium between the two is, in my view, strongly preferrable to an approach that advocates either resource dominating the other. When purchasing a product, one would not think it appropriate to consult with the manufacturer/provider to ascertain the quality of the goods/services in question, as any response is not only likely, but in my view, guaranteed to be inextricably biased. While I am certain this is not a perfect analogy, it is almost certainly fit for purpose.

One should remain distinctly mindful of the context in which any and all information is divulged on this forum, it should be routine to question the legitimacy of it's source and their apparent motivations. A hypothetically disgruntled patient's disparaging remarks should not be spared this contextual lens, neither should the over zealoused shill and nor should the apparently neutral doctor.

Unfortunately, the issues facing FUE are not just opinion. They are factually observed, well documented/recorded, have already been named and classified, and are immutable.

More and more ethical doctors are coming out and speaking publicly about the disadvantages and detriments of FUE despite the fact that these honest doctors stand to lose tremendous amounts of money while telling the truth.

It is simple:

The damage to the grafts during the procedure are markedly and demonstrably higher than that for FUT (the gold standard). There is no avoiding this, there is no debating this. It is established and observable fact.

Here, Dr. Lam gives a lecture that clearly demonstrates not opinion, but observable fact concerning the FUE procedure and the damage it inflicts on the grafts.

I read the entire thread. I am sorry to be so strident, but some of the posting doctors are categorically embarrassing themselves. Self-serving biases coupled with wilful disregard of leading clinic outcomes. Sad.

I read the entire thread. I am sorry to be so strident, but some of the posting doctors are categorically embarrassing themselves. Self-serving biases coupled with wilful disregard of leading clinic outcomes. Sad.

Arminius,

Believe me when I say I am on YOUR side and I want your hair to grow like gangbusters. That is my wish for ALL HT patients everywhere in the world no matter what procedure is used or which doctor performed it.

However, what I have reported on this site about FUE is indisputable fact. It is not opinion, or bias, or based on a hidden agenda.

Notice no FUE doctor has come on here to dispute any of it ? Including your own doctor who I guarantee reads these posts.

Your harsh critique of me personally was uncalled for and, frankly, inappropriate. However, I understand what made you feel the need to do it:

You don't want to believe or accept what I have been writing and reporting about FUE is the truth. And you are bothered by it. But you already committed yourself to an FUE procedure a few weeks ago, correct ? So to make yourself feel better you need to try to discredit me personally. This way you don't even have to explore or even understand the objective details of my reporting. It's just easier to "kill the messenger".

I read your other posts and know you are worried about crops of pimples popping up in your FUE donor area. You know this is not normal. And now you are wondering if this may relate to the recipient area in some bad way which will affect your overall growth and final result. This is a very real and intelligent concern. It seems you don't know HOW they may be connected, but you are correct in assuming they may be. If you listen to what I have been saying in my videos and articles you would understand why your concerns are infact valid.

I know you point to the good results of other FUE patients and clinics to find solace and to use as "proof" that Dr. Feller doesn't know what he's talking about. That's natural. But you are ignoring all the abject and inexcusable failures of FUE that have been published on this very forum alone. Not to mention the huge number of patients who, like you, have reported they just had an FUE, showed post op photos, and then fail to ever update the community with their results. Or, they post results that clearly don't compare to their FUT equivalents.

You ignore all of this. It's my job not to.

I am not some kind of ogre trying to sqwash the FUE industry. I perform FUE to this day, I have invented and patented FUE instrumentation and protocols. I have been cited in the aurhtorative HT textbook. I have taught other doctors how to perform FUE I was a true pioneer in the field. If FUT were outlawed today I would make a very nice living doing just FUE. But I would be conflicted knowing that a better way existed (FUT). A way that may not SEEM as attractive to lay patients, but nevertheless produces a superior result 100% of the time.

It is to the shame of my colleagues who ignore, downplay, or deny the limitations of FUE and who refuse to discuss this reality on this forum. I believe most of them are mute on the subject because they: don't have enough personal FUE experience but don't want to admit it OR they don't want to criticize a cash cow and thus limit what they can ethically offer to their patients for a payday.

It is they who should be embarrassed and whom you should be directing strident comments towards. I have no regrets sharing my surgical knowledge and intimate experience of FUE with lay patients so you really know what you are getting yourselves into, and will continue to do so. If my expose of FUE saves even one patient from an FUE megasession then I know I did my job.

Dr. Feller

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

Arminius,

Believe me when I say I am on YOUR side and I want your hair to grow like gangbusters. That is my wish for ALL HT patients everywhere in the world no matter what procedure is used or which doctor performed it.

However, what I have reported on this site about FUE is indisputable fact. It is not opinion, or bias, or based on a hidden agenda.

Notice no FUE doctor has come on here to dispute any of it ? Including your own doctor who I guarantee reads these posts.

Your harsh critique of me personally was uncalled for and, frankly, inappropriate. However, I understand what made you feel the need to do it:

You don't want to believe or accept what I have been writing and reporting about FUE is the truth. And you are bothered by it. But you already committed yourself to an FUE procedure a few weeks ago, correct ? So to make yourself feel better you need to try to discredit me personally. This way you don't even have to explore or even understand the objective details of my reporting. It's just easier to "kill the messenger".

I read your other posts and know you are worried about crops of pimples popping up in your FUE donor area. You know this is not normal. And now you are wondering if this may relate to the recipient area in some bad way which will affect your overall growth and final result. This is a very real and intelligent concern. It seems you don't know HOW they may be connected, but you are correct in assuming they may be. If you listen to what I have been saying in my videos and articles you would understand why your concerns are infact valid.

I know you point to the good results of other FUE patients and clinics to find solace and to use as "proof" that Dr. Feller doesn't know what he's talking about. That's natural. But you are ignoring all the abject and inexcusable failures of FUE that have been published on this very forum alone. Not to mention the huge number of patients who, like you, have reported they just had an FUE, showed post op photos, and then fail to ever update the community with their results. Or, they post results that clearly don't compare to their FUT equivalents.

I am not some kind of ogre trying to sqwash the FUE industry. I perform FUE to this day, I have invented and patented FUE instrumentation and protocols. I have been cited in the aurhtorative HT textbook. I have taught other doctors how to perform FUE I was a true pioneer in the field. If FUT were outlawed today I would make a very nice living doing just FUE. But I would be conflicted knowing that a better way existed (FUT). A way that may not SEEM as attractive to lay patients, but nevertheless produces a superior result 100% of the time.

It is to the shame of my colleagues who ignore, downplay, or deny the limitations of FUE and who refuse to discuss this reality on this forum. I believe most of them are mute on the subject because they: don't have enough personal FUE experience but don't want to admit it OR they don't want to criticize a cash cow and thus limit what they can ethically offer to their patients for a payday.

It is they are who should be embarrassed. I have no regrets sharing my surgical knowledge and intimate experience of FUE with lay patients so you really know what you are getting yourselves into.

Dr. Feller

Dr Feller As someone who has had an FUE procedure I have shown my results 2.5 years post op as have quite a few on this site, but leaving that aside in general I think this post will have helped anyone thinking about a hair transplant to make an informed decision,

and no need to make it personal, but yes there is is a tendency for guys to defend the procedure or Doc they went with , as you said we all want the best for anyone who suffers from hair loss .

Edited by Mick50

Dr Feller and Dr Blake are making a lot of sense. Much respect.

I wish I am able to be happy again sometime in the future. Just waiting to be happy for a couple years now and move on with my life.

Im hoping to see more docs be active like this on the forums.

Arminius,

It is they who should be embarrassed and whom you should be directing strident comments towards. I have no regrets sharing my surgical knowledge and intimate experience of FUE with lay patients so you really know what you are getting yourselves into, and will continue to do so. If my expose of FUE saves even one patient from an FUE megasession then I know I did my job.

Dr. Feller

just to be clear....here you mention limitations of fue, and then mention megasessions so is it your contention that where fue is limited is when done on a large scale mainly. Do you think it is an appropriate surgery for 2k grafts and under? I know you can take a strip for that but for somebody at a nw3-4 and likely not progressing beyond that... is when fue is best suited or are you saying never fue?

FUE should be reserved for patients who simply cannot have FUT.

FUT should be the first line for any and all hair transplant procedures.

Doing a 2,000 graft HT as an FUE when it could have been done as an FUT is irresponsible.

FUE cases of about 500 to 1000 grafts TOTAL lifetime MAY cause minimal damage IF the donor is large enough, the grafts are cooperative enough, and the surgeon can stay within the safe donor area.

Arminius,

Dr. Feller

First, I thank you for your unsolicited response. It speaks volumes that a forum post lacking the name of any particular doctor was the impetus for same.

I understand your motivation as well as that of any other professional.

And I must admit, I have not watched any of those Youtube videos. They're analogous to the medical version of Better Call Saul.

And here is an interesting H+W update:

"So now we are in a world where we have two different technologies producing equally incredible results..." Source: https://hassonandwong.com/our-journey-to-fue/

Edited by Arminius