Feller and Bloxham

Chris wrote:

"This is loudest case of God Syndrome I've come across "

There you go Chris. Pretty vitriolic.

I don't debate with laymen posters like yourself. I inform you and the community as to the realities of surgical procedure because you have no idea or experience. I do. You may either accept the information or ignore it. It's completely up to you.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick and Chris,

You both immediately descend to name calling and vitriol. That doesn't add to your credibility or your position.

So I ask again, with 60 HTN recommended surgeons, worldwide, contributing to this website every month as a requirement, why are there virtually NO examples of megasession FUE ?

The answer is because they are not being performed OR the ones that are being performed are producing results no doctor wants to post online to be seen by the world.

Trix took the time to watch my videos about FUE myths and facts. You both should, too. If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Hardly think anything I said Dr Feller was particularly vitriolic, maybe a bit testy , actually have enjoyed the informative videos you and Dr Bloxham produce ,but correct me if I'm wrong, Dr Erdogan /Lorenzo and others are producing really good large FUE results ,I don't think Ive seen one bad result form Dr Erdogan on this site .

Mick and Chris,

So I ask again, with 60 HTN recommended surgeons, worldwide, contributing to this website every month as a requirement, why are there virtually NO examples of megasession FUE ?

I'll answer this one quickly with a short answer . The majority of the surgeons on this forum are USA or North European based . The fees charged by surgeons based in these geographical areas suits the demographics / users of the website .

It simply does not make economic sense for the majority of surgeons outside of these to pay the associated fees and consequently recover such fees in in increased turnover as a result of website traffic / direction.

This will also skew the results of FUSS / FUE results as posted.

I'm sure you're well aware of this anyway !

So is that why going the FUE route limits one's lifetime donor supply..because of wastage trying to extract the grafts?

Basically if one were to start off with FUE, they have permanently affected their lifetime supply so even switching over to FUT after wouldn't reverse and damage done by the FUE?

Just trying to make sure i'm understanding the theory correctly.

So is that why going the FUE route limits one's lifetime donor supply..because of wastage trying to extract the grafts?

Basically if one were to start off with FUE, they have permanently affected their lifetime supply so even switching over to FUT after wouldn't reverse and damage done by the FUE?

Just trying to make sure i'm understanding the theory correctly.

Correct !

Chris wrote:

"This is loudest case of God Syndrome I've come across "

There you go Chris. Pretty vitriolic.

I don't debate with laymen posters like yourself. I inform you and the community as to the realities of surgical procedure because you have no idea or experience. I do. You may either accept the information or ignore it. It's completely up to you.

Thank you Dr Keller . I was going to quote your previous quote as an example of your own vitriol , but you saved me the job . I'm well aware of both FUSS and FUE procedures and because I have performed neither does not diminish my opinion on either. I could quote countless analogies to counter your own , but I'm not really that bothered to do so.

Indeed , people can accept or ignore the information available. and I'll make my own decisions based on my own research thank you very much .

Thank you Dr Keller . I was going to quote your previous quote as an example of your own vitriol , but you saved me the job . I'm well aware of both FUSS and FUE procedures and because I have performed neither does not diminish my opinion on either. I could quote countless analogies to counter your own , but I'm not really that bothered to do so.

Indeed , people can accept or ignore the information available. and I'll make my own decisions based on my own research thank you very much .

I'm sorry you find my mention of your ignorance in surgical experience vitriolic. It's not meant to be, it's just a fact and shouldn't affect your feelings one way or another.

I'm sorry you find my mention of your ignorance in surgical experience vitriolic. It's not meant to be, it's just a fact and shouldn't affect your feelings one way or another.

Who mentioned ignorance of surgical experience ? . I'm not ignorant of surgical experience . Granted , I have never performed a surgical procedure , but why would that make me ignorant of the procedure ? Also , it doesn't affect my feelings on the matter at all - I'll choose whatever procedure (in any medical sphere )that I feel will produce the optimal result for me .

Let me ask you a question . Outside of your own profession , do you unquestionably bow to any advice you are given ?

As always, some interesting debate indeed!

Trix,

Thank you for the "shout out," and for watching the videos. Glad you found them helpful. We truly enjoy making them, and will continue to do so.

Most importantly, however, did you ever share any details about your specific case? Pictures, estimated graft number, age, familial hair loss, etc? This may help determine the best approach for you moving forward. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any.

A few other points I wanted to touch upon:

FUT megasession versus FUE megasession:

I disagree with the premise that a megasession is a megasession and both are an equal "gamble." Putting aside the yield issues -- and the best objective studies we currently have available do show a statistically significant difference in growth yield -- the FUE megasesion is a very different beast compared to the FUT megasession because of the donor implications.

The beauty of FUT, and why I strongly push it for young patients with the potential for progressive and aggressive future loss, is the way it effectively utilizes the donor and leaves virgin tissue for future surgeries.

With an FUT megasession, a strip of the best area of the donor is removed in it's entirety -- meaning the bald patches between the follicles are removed as well, only one area of damage is left behind (the strip scar), and the patient has the option for more FUTs (from untouched tissue), FUEs from above and below the linear scar, or a combination of both. Even if 0 of those 3,000 grafts grew for some unheard of reason, the patient still has excellent donor to pursue other options.The same simply cannot be said for an FUE megasesion.

First, obtaining megasesion numbers -- which I consider 2,500 or above -- via FUE in almost all instances requires more than 2,500 attempts. So what should be donor damage from 2,500 grafts removed actually usually ends up being much greater. Second, in order to obtain these numbers without significant depletion one must hit the entire donor area in one shot -- and usually unsafe areas, but that's another discussion. This means the entire donor has been hit and there are no longer virgin areas to utilize in future surgeries. Not only can this be a problem if patients have more sub-dermal scarring, diffuse miniaturization from vascular damage, and grafts don't come out as well during the second round of FUE, but taking out more than *33%-50% of the total donor capacity risks unnatural looking thinning in the back (*the 33% number comes from a very interesting presentation recently presented by Coalition member Dr. Paul Rose). So you can really knock out an entire donor area in one pass with a megasession. And no, I'm sorry, but just "shaving it off" isn't an option for most patients who have had FUE in the donor -- despite what many are told.

Here's an article I wrote about the difference between the two. I'm also going to share an image I included in that article. Not to be inflammatory, but to show some of the realities of FUE megasessions that we see in the office but are not discussed online.

Article: What is a Hair Transplant Megasession?

And here's the donor of a patient who visited us. He has FUE work done by many renowned "learning curve" advanced doctors in Europe:

dmzdd4.jpg

Obviously there was not much I could do for this patient -- who still actively wanted more work. He could have had the worst strip scar in the universe and I would have still been able to do another strip, do mFUE using the strip scar, or FUE around it. But nothing you can do when the donor has been hit by an FUE megasesion like that. And I do not think he will be shaving his head anytime soon.

Lifetime graft number with FUT first versus FUE first:

Kramer, as you can glean from my discussion above, doing FUT prior to FUE is the best way to maximize your lifetime grafts. If you're a young patient who is likely to have aggressive loss in the future, this is the method I almost always recommend.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Where in this thread has anyone given out surgical advice? ,As I have already stated the OP

wanted to hear form people who have had Large FUE surgery which myself and HT soon obliged nether of us recommended to the OP in anyway that it was better/worse option than FUSS ,I also cant recollect Chris imparting words of wisdom regarding the technical aspects of surgery .

Chris wrote:

"Granted , I have never performed a surgical procedure , but why would that make me ignorant of the procedure ?"

Wow.

Wow.

Chris, you honestly don't see how not performing the procedure makes you ignorant of it ? Don't you see that you and other like you give out surgical advice about a procedure you cannot and have not performed. In fact, you criticize and challenge those who do. If you want to rate how results look and compare results from one doctor to the next that's fine. That's probably the best function of this website. However, when you comment on HOW the procedures are performed or any of the technical details you are speaking from ignorance.

Wow indeed Dr Keller . How does not performing a surgical procedure automatically make someone ignorant of a procedure ? Quite the statement there .

I've never given , nor will give surgical advice to anyone ? Why do you even raise the question ? You mention that I criticise those who perform the procedure but that is simply not true ? Where have I ever done this ?

Of course I can comment on how procedures are performed and the technical details . Quite the statement coming from someone in the US where surgeons are often protected by none disclosure and privacy clauses .

The majority of poor results I've seen on this website have been form the US , but for some funny reason just seem to disappear after a period of time ?

Mick,

I definitely understand what you're saying. To be fair, however, the title of the thread is "Feller and Bloxham;" we were definitely going to chime in! Hopefully people get some useful information out of it.

And thank you for the kind words about the videos. Glad you enjoyed them.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

As always, some interesting debate indeed!

Blake ,

Read your post and wouldn't really contend with any of the points raised . There's always an optimal form of HT dependent on circumstances .

What I took exception to is the stance that forum members ( none surgical ) have no valid viewpoint on HT procedures .

I'll leave it there for now .

Trix:

This is absolutely correct and an immutable fact that many in the online community simply can't and won't accept. In fact they will reject it loudly.

Until an online poster can get a medical license, perform the FUE procedure and take responsibility for it they are uninformed. Being the recipient of a hair transplant procedure does not make a laymen into an expert-no matter how bright, motivated, and enthused he may be. And, no matter how much time he spends on a lay hair transplant forum. So you should weight their input accordingly.

If you are rejecting FUT for whatever reason. This means you are putting the actual growth of the graft secondary to some other concern. That is your business and it is fine in my book IF and only IF you have been properly informed about the risks of FUE compared to FUT. I am not a hair transplant cop, so you do what you think is in your own best interest.

May I ask, Trix, why you are interested in FUE over FUT ?

Nice appeal to authority fallacy Dr. Feller, one would expect a doctor would have better logic than a retarded 10 year old but there you go.

Scientists and doctors wonder why some conservatives and Republicans lack any respect for them, this is a perfect example of why. Facts don't matter in your eyes, just your word, because apparently you are God.

• Administrators

Guy's we should remain respectful, although we may not agree there's really no need for name calling.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Another thing I would mention is that whenever I see others bring up the results of master European FUE surgeons such as Erdogan, Lorenzo, Lupanzula and Feriduni to Dr. Feller this in particular sets him off. He loves to outright lie and say "no one is producing great FUE megassessions" but when evidence to the contrary is provided, he will outright no respond to it and NEVER mention European doctors by name, most likely because he fears them.

This is an issue I have seen with Dr. Rassman on the Reddit forums too, when he outright claimed to not know who Dr. Erdogan (Vice president of World FUE institute) or Dr. Lorenzo (Head of the World FUE institute) were. This is a blatant lie and just oozes fear for doctors who are providing a better FUE service for a lower cost than any American doctor so attain Voldemort status and must not be named.

The evidence is clear that FUT is the better procedure for long term management of the donor area, however it would be nice to stop lying about yields and acknowledge good results of great European FUE surgeons, (and actually admit to knowing who they are and mentioning their name) We all know they're taking clients away from American surgeons, but the fact is they're doing a better job (for half the price or less), and the first step for American surgeons to get some of these patients back is to admit they aren't as skilled and refine their procedure, or perhaps go to Europe and learn from the masters.

And in saying all that Dr. Feller has consistently put out great information for anyone interested in transplants and creates great results himself. Ultimately FUE is better in Europe because wages are lower and techs and doctors end up with more experience with it. I appreciate how this would upset American doctors who cannot compete, and that Feller is also invaluable at leading people not to go to chop shops and look at results from forum goers and learn about the procedures but that doesn't make his criticisms of FUE accurate.

I invite EVERYONE to compare the FUE cases on the forums for everyone to see of Dr Feller and compare them to the results of Dr. Keser, Dr Erdogan, and Dr. Feriduni. See for yourself who is getting the better results. Then compare the Feller FUT cases to the FUE cases of doctors I mentioned. No assertions from myself here, but see what you think.

Hi!

I have been watching Youtube videos produced by Doctors Feller and Bloxham this evening. I found them very informative and I also appreciate Dr Bloxham's comments on this site. However, I was quite taken back when I heard how against FUE they are. I was all set for FUE and now I am starting to have, at least some, reservations.

I do not want to start an FUT vs FUE debate but I would like to know if anybody has had a successful (series of) hair transplant(s) with just FUE i.e. several thousand grafts (5,000+, maybe) or how common this type of patient/case is?

Thanks

Oh dear - not again - wwhhhyyyyyy!!!!!!

• Administrators
Oh dear - not again - wwhhhyyyyyy!!!!!!

Summer 2015 again I'm out

sBWxzBK.gif

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.