Reasons I won't be getting a hair transplant

Djlazerblue

As with most things in life nothing is a 100% guarantee.

This forum was established to protect prospective hair restoration patients, patients like myself who had a failed procedure with Bosley years ago.

It serves this function and purpose extremely well.

Helping guide people in the right direction is a good thing, scaring them based on apprehension alone is not.

Death and taxes there's 2 things in life for you that are garunteed

Again I'm not trying to scare nobody as the post is titled it's MY reasons for not getting one and I'm sharing

Thanks

• Administrators
Unfortunately people never want to share a bad hair transplant and tend to stay one of the silent brigade.

Steve

It's actually quite the opposite, typically unhappy patients are the loudest ones, guys who have successful HT's move on with their life and forget about hair loss, I will make again the analogy of Finasteride, this is why websites like "Propecia Help" exist and not "Propecia Helped me".

I have not had surgery your correct, and my post is to inform people the stark reality before jumping into to something thats going to need years of saving and commitment,

nothing to do with medication so don't understand your point there

I made an analogy but it went over your head, you take Finasteride right? did you not take a gamble? we know that a small percentage of men experience side effects, so prior to taking the medication I'm sure you were well aware of the possibilities, yet you still decided to take the "gamble" that's the same way some men feel about HT's. You are entitled to your opinion, and good for you for not getting an HT. But most men with realistic expectations could really benefit from getting an HT, just like most men could benefit from medical therapy, again its an analogy.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm glad your happy with your hair

yeah sure you are!

Would I be right to say you have had over 8000 grafts?

You can add!

Yes and I'd do it all again in a second

even if I had to take a 2nd job being a dishwasher at Denny's.

Could you hold weight to my facts the crown is a problem area

how does one define "problem"?

"problem" vs. what?

is the crown & everything else a "problem" when you just shave it all off?

it certainly would be to me!

yes giving up and having "the horse-shoe" or "ah hell shave it all off" looks

now those options would be a "problem" as defined by me for me!

I guess "problem" is in the eye of the beholder....

To me this or anything close...is a "problem"....(but 2EachHisOwn)

Problem.jpg

are hair transplants 100% effective? of course not!

and what is 100%?

is marriage 100%?

are airplane rides 100% crash free?

are any surgeries cosmetic or not 100% successful?

is any medication 100% effective?

is any doctor 100% effective?

is any exercise 100% effective with every person that tries it?

do you really think you have landed at any kind of landmark conclusion

by concluding hair transplants are not for everybody?

of course they aren't

in fact I have stated multiple times I personally think

most guys wouldn't do it even if hair transplants were free

your density is on average about 25% of your original density

I have no idea and really don't care as long as I don't look and feel bald

i just know some hair is a lot more than none

I just know i have more hair and others certainly have noticed too

I think I am probably more talented than average at making the most of

whatever additional density my transplants have given me

of course no one denies hair transplants are all about the illusion of density

millions of women wear makeup creating an illusion...so what?

millions of people where certain clothes that make them look less fat...so what?

millions get all kinds of cosmetic procedures that may not last a lifetime...so what?

face-lifts eventually wear off

liposuction...but people may still get fat again

so hair transplants aren't for you

join the crowd....they aren't for most guys

for a whole host of reasons

ya gotta really, really want to do this

and after research you have concluded it's not for you

I agree with you everybody should research thoroughly like you and I did

and reach their own decision....

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think this comes down to the person.

The OP basically is saying.That her can't have what he wants, he'll pass.

But that doesn't mean ht can't fill what other people want.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think the crux of why your post is terrible is this "Be warned if your only slight reeceding Norwood 2/3 and your not happy your greed for hair could backfire and cause the rest of the surrounding hair to permently fall out behind." Just pure pseudo-science. If you have a legitimate argument against transplants, you wouldn't have to resort to falsehoods. Your comment about migranes is another outright lie and makes no scientific sense.

If you're fine with lowering the standard of the physical attractiveness and careers of the women you date, looking 10 years older and being less attractive to potential employers due to image issues, then go ahead, but don't kid yourself into thinking that the vast majority who go to great surgeons don't lead much better lives. Transplants are all about stealing a few extra years back for your youth; 2-3 procedures over a few decades is an easy choice for drastically improving your quality of life.

^ what he said and what the others are saying

i dunno...if it takes u 3 years to research a HT, being a low NW3, and you come to the conclusion after all that time that your not a candidate. I think you have some more deep issues in life than a HT. Sometimes you just gotta man up and take a chance

Wouldn't you rather a live a life of oh wells then what ifs?

DJlaser,

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion and why you've decided not to undergo hair transplant surgery after 3 years of research. You've definitely made some good points though I would say that your post highlights the potential problems without any of the benefits.

Hair transplant surgery is not for everyone. And the reality is, if you are not prepared to deal with the potential problems as you've outlined, then it is best that you don't undergo the procedure.

In my experience, I considered many of the same issues. But by the time I underwent my first hair transplant I was already heading towards an advanced Norwood 5A. Sure, I had plenty of remaining hair on top (though I lost so much that it was a major concern to me), I knew I would lose a lot more hair and that undergoing hair transplant surgery would likely expedite the loss of the remaining genetically predisposed hairs. I also knew that I would need several procedures to meet my goals.

Admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time researching the procedure and doctors before I underwent my first one. I did select a recommended doctor from this community so at least I felt confident in that. But the surgeon I chose only did a maximum of 1600 graft sessions and I knew I needed a lot more than that to make a cosmetically significant improvement in my hair and appearance.

Long story short, I ended up choosing Coalition surgeons for my next several hair transplants.

4 hair transplants, 5 years and 9600 grafts later, I have a pretty nice looking head of hair as opposed to being completely bald.

Yes, there are many risks associated with hair transplant surgery. But in my opinion, the benefits far outweighed the potential risks so I decided to take the plunge.

At the end of the day, everyone should be aware of the benefits and risks of hair transplant surgery and then make a decision that's best for them based on what they've learned.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill.jpg

^ what he said and what the others are saying

i dunno...if it takes u 3 years to research a HT, being a low NW3, and you come to the conclusion after all that time that your not a candidate. I think you have some more deep issues in life than a HT. Sometimes you just gotta man up and take a chance

Wouldn't you rather a live a life of oh wells then what ifs?

Wrong my friend, going bald is a natural part of life and acceptence is what makes me a stronger person than you, if all you have to worry about in life is a bit of hair then your the one with the deep issues, probably self confidence low self esteem, socially isolated?

So the best way to "Man Up" is to accept it and be a man you might just be happier in life

Wrong my friend, going bald is a natural part of life and acceptence is what makes me a stronger person than you, if all you have to worry about in life is a bit of hair then your the one with the deep issues, probably self confidence low self esteem, socially isolated?

So the best way to "Man Up" is to accept it and be a man you might just be happier in life

"I went bald and accepted it, I'm a stronger person now"

"I lost my job and live on the street, I'm a stronger person now"

"My testicles fell off and I accepted it, I'm a stronger person now"

"I'm a strong person, I've accepted how pathetic my life is and don't even care"

Unfortunately you have got things reversed, someone who settles for mediocrity and a decrease in their quality of life when they have the ability to fix it is the one who is pathetic, not the one who puts in effort to better themselves. One who cares about being the best version of themselves is the stronger person, not one who settles for something which negatively impacts their life or image.

• Like 1

"I went bald and accepted it, I'm a stronger person now"

"I lost my job and live on the street, I'm a stronger person now"

"My testicles fell off and I accepted it, I'm a stronger person now"

"I'm a strong person, I've accepted how pathetic my life is and don't even care"

Unfortunately you have got things reversed, someone who settles for mediocrity and a decrease in their quality of life when they have the ability to fix it is the one who is pathetic, not the one who puts in effort to better themselves. One who cares about being the best version of themselves is the stronger person, not one who settles for something which negatively impacts their life or image.

Can't help you mate your strange.

I'm married I have 2 kids I have a good job I'm a Norwood 3 I'll be bald one day but I'll be happy and I'll be living life to the max, you on the other hand will still be looking in the mirror probably obsessing over your hair (lack of it).

You need to get a life dude get out more I feel bad for you, talking about your testicals falling off and shit your weird.

Can't help you mate your strange.

I'm married I have 2 kids I have a good job I'm a Norwood 3 I'll be bald one day but I'll be happy and I'll be living life to the max, you on the other hand will still be looking in the mirror probably obsessing over your hair (lack of it).

You need to get a life dude get out more I feel bad for you, talking about your testicals falling off and shit your weird.

If you're married with 2 kids and have a good job then you're in a good position to decide not to have a transplant. The fact that you've looked for 3 years at getting a transplant and then decide against it on ludicrous reasoning is a thread that didn't really need to be posted however and didn't have anything to offer.

I'm 22, so in my case yes it is a big deal, however I have had a transplant. In your circumstances I think it sounds like you've made the right choice, however don't be so narcissistic to think that's whats best for you is best for others, or that they are "weak" to worry about their hair. Trying to better yourself isn't the slightest bit weak.

I've been in your shoes at your age, and let me tell you feel that getting a woman is your main concern as your losing hair, then your meeeting the wrong ones, your hair does not determine you as person how you carry yourself as a man is what women go for the most believe me on that my friend

Steve

going bald is a natural part of life

But Djlazerblue you can say that about a lot of modern day life

why not take advantage of what present day innovation offers?

being naked is a "natural" part of life

kidney stones are a "natural" part of life

a ruptured appendix is a "natural" part of life

untrimmed toe/fingernails are a "natural" part of life

increasing poor vision is a "natural" part of life as we age

rotting teeth are a "natural" part of life

extremely crooked teeth can be a "natural" part of life

women without any makeup is a "natural" part of life

wearing nice clothes is not a "natural" part of life

fast and/or beautiful cars are not a "natural" part of life

cesarean birth is not "natural"

baby formula is not "natural"

diapers are not "natural"

Look I am totally a 2EachHisOwn....

but if I had a terrible crooked smile

I'd get braces!....Why not?

I'm not going to stare in the mirror with crazy crooked teeth

You can claim i am focusing on the wrong thing

But that's for me to decide....

After-all appearance must have some importance for you

or why would you spend three years studying hair transplants?

But if it's not important to you...and you want to be "natural"

Hey whatever makes you happy.

What's important is you studied and made a decision for you.

And I studied and made a decision for me.

I do agree with you that people need to fully understand what they are getting into.

You did the right thing by real research....your advice on that is sound.

No need to belittle others

(I am "stronger than you"..."man up"...blah blah)

Is that called "passive aggressive"?

Basically you are telling a forum of guys that have had transplants

that you are "stronger" than them...that they need to "man up"

Why not just accept like most of "Joe Public" that transplants aren't for you

Why the need to demean those that study and arrive at different conclusion?

There is no group right or wrong on this decision

It's a very personal decision made by each patient.

Edited by Shampoo

But Djlazerblue you can say that about a lot of modern day life

why not take advantage of what present day innovation offers?

being naked is a "natural" part of life

kidney stones are a "natural" part of life

a ruptured appendix is a "natural" part of life

untrimmed toe/fingernails are a "natural" part of life

increasing poor vision is a "natural" part of life as we age

rotting teeth are a "natural" part of life

extremely crooked teeth can be a "natural" part of life

women without any makeup is a "natural" part of life

wearing nice clothes is not a "natural" part of life

fast and/or beautiful cars are not a "natural" part of life

Look I am totally a 2EachHisOwn....

but if I had a terrible crooked smile

I'd get braces!....Why not?

I'm not going to stare in the mirror with crazy crooked teeth

You can claim i am focusing on the wrong thing

But that's for me to decide....

After-all appearance must have some importance for you

or why would you spend three years studying hair transplants?

But if it's not important to you...and you want to be "natural"

Hey whatever makes you happy.

What's important is you studied and made a decision for you.

And I studied and made a decision for me.

No need to belittle others

(I am "stronger than you"..."man up"...blah blah)

Is that called "passive aggressive"?

Basically you are telling a forum of guys that have had transplants

that you are "stronger" than them...that they need to "man up"

Why not just accept like most of "Joe Public" that transplants aren't for you

Why the need to demean those that study and arrive at different conclusion?

There is no group right or wrong on this decision

It's a very personal decision made by each patient.

The word vanity springs to mind

I questioned the point of this thread from jump but you brought up some points that every transplant patient should know going in, so for the sake of information I didn't feel the need to say anything and gave the thread the benefit of the doubt. Now as I read this thread it's stopped being informative and feels a lot like finger wagging and I'm better than you because I don't need this. The irony of posting that somebody who wants to better themselves is vain but here's why I'm better than you because I'm not vain and here's how awesome my life is because I'm not vain. This whole thread is a look at me vanity thread. If your goal was as altruistic as you wish us to believe your work should be done, you've shared your info, info most of us know from doing our first couple hours of research into ht's but not the point, you've done your part to inform, so why cross the line and belittle and dictate what should make somebody happy and how that happiness should be defined. That isn't your place.

Let's have it right here, I'm defending myself after an OP tried putting me down , I was told to MAN UP! And get a transplant, so what that says to me is he's trying to put me down and make me feel less of a man for not wanting a transplant, perhaps u need to read this thread again.

Steve

Let's have it right here, I'm defending myself after an OP tried putting me down , I was told to MAN UP! And get a transplant, so what that says to me is he's trying to put me down and make me feel less of a man for not wanting a transplant, perhaps u need to read this thread again.

Steve

was shampoo attacking you too?

this thread is about you wanting attention, you got it.

I don't seek attention wrong.

I'm sharing my findings with 3 years of research meting patients who have had the procedure successfully and unsuccessfuly.

I was merely stating my reasons while I personally won't get one, i know you all want to hear the positives because your all wanting your hair back but it's my own reasons I'm not telling no one to not have it done am I??

So instead of addressing my findings which we all know hold sufficient weight, the majority of you decide to gang up

I stand my ground you don't like it.

I won't be bullied here sorry to disappoint you all

The word vanity springs to mind

yep...how dare someone try cosmetic improvement!

teeth.jpg

yep...how dare someone try cosmetic improvement!

105d096fdb462809aed9602aeab3fbbf.jpg

Rhinoplasty-27-new-bna.jpg

Is this not a hair restoration forum? Think your posting the wrong photos, you should post them of your crown, you've had a lot of grafts probably maxed out and it's still thin, I can see straight through it, either you used poor surgeons or my theory of transplants don't take well in the crown (because of roots being to flat to the scalp) come into play?

Steve

I don't seek attention wrong.

I'm sharing my findings with 3 years of research meting patients who have had the procedure successfully and unsuccessfuly.

I was merely stating my reasons while I personally won't get one, i know you all want to hear the positives because your all wanting your hair back but it's my own reasons I'm not telling no one to not have it done am I??

So instead of addressing my findings which we all know hold sufficient weight, the majority of you decide to gang up

I stand my ground you don't like it.

I won't be bullied here sorry to disappoint you all

This whole thread is a study in narcissism, so please spare me the I don't want attention. Despite your 3 years spent on the topic you haven't presented anything that the overwhelming majority of us on this forum didn't know already. Nobody knows who you are, you haven't spent time here posting building friendships, helping other forum members that would require you to come back and inform the forum as to your big final decision, you just came in, a stranger and said let me tell you my thoughts, you need to hear this I could save people in the future. My hero lol...so yes it's an attention thing... but as I said you brought up things some newbies should read so have your moment. It just became obvious you didn't want to just help you wanted to be right, there was no dialogue to be had. Somebody would come in and say I hear what you said, I agree with a lot, and I knew that going in but it changed my life...and you'd shoot back with it's all a gamble, you'll never have the right density, you'll have to keep doing surgeries, your crown may never be right...facts we're aware of, again we've done the research...but you don't want to hear that despite it all many are happy with their choice. Now did some posters cross a line with you, sure, did you cross that line back, absolutely...you have children, would you advise them to act like other ill behaved children? You're not under attack from the majority, we have some differing viewpoints and there is nothing wrong with that, a rational person should be able to see things from both sides. In some instances your decision is the one advise to potential ht'ers and in others I'd say they would be candidates, you seem to only want to hear your own, and that is the problem to me and in your frustration you became judgmental and belittled many in the community you claim to want to help.

Is this not a hair restoration forum? Think your posting the wrong photos, you should post them of your crown, you've had a lot of grafts probably maxed out and it's still thin, I can see straight through it, either you used poor surgeons or my theory of transplants don't take well in the crown (because of roots being to flat to the scalp) come into play?

Steve

Since I have been on this site about 2.5 years as a poster I have seen countless happy posters OK there have been some subpar results and a few outright duds ,but not many .

I had 4200 FUE nearly 2.5 years ago and I am more than happy with my result ,I was a NW5 so if if I want total coverage I will need a second one ,but as a 54 year old guy it's actually debatable should I even go for the a second one as the result I have more than stands alone .

I was pretty much bald from the front to the crown actually crown balding in some ways bothered more than the front, but even with just 4200 grafts which were placed more densely at the front and mid-scalp and tapering back into the crown I still have a significant improvement in my crown ,which seems too one of your main concerns.

Modern hair transplants procedure have come on leaps and bounds in recent times

and can offer a realistic and dense cosmetic improvement for anyone who chooses it , is there an element of vanity well yep for me there certainly was didnt' like being a baldy with

the horse -shoe look ,does that make me weak and self obsessed again maybe in the

over-all scheme of things yea maybe ,but at a least now I can give out more positive vibes

to the universe because I am happier and be more positive in my life of course I still have problems like most people do but no one would claim a hair transplant is a panacea for all ills real or imagined.

Third pic post op crown will need more work ,but should be at least 2000 grafts there .

Just to clarify the second pic is about 2.5 post op so maybe some shock- loss still there , but as you can see form the first pic

crown was bald .

5b32f3338a9ff_Photoon18-12-2014at10_59.thumb.jpg.769a79390567b033a50e6d9d2939b73c.jpg

5b32f333a20d8_Photoon21-03-2015at12.534(1).jpg.f872f735f3b5882ce7ebb326230b45e8.jpg

DSC_0777.thumb.jpg.39ddfbe718cb129d1b301e3952061ea7.jpg

Edited by Mick50

Post op pics , I'm sure most people would agree there has been a big improvement especially for a 54 year old guy . I'ts becoming

more acceptable for men to have a hair transplant form football managers to actors to whomever , if its not for you well fair enough

but the bottom line is they do work ,I've always said they're some guys guys who should stay well away form having work done and I'm not talking about their donor supply and you are plainly one of these ,self awareness is a powerful thing and fair play to you for realising it wasn't for you .

20170413_103416.thumb.jpg.5e533c804bd6ccb776e7d5d82d28d3d8.jpg

20170415_080141.jpg.637ab86b8349d5cec56890ab1ee0e394.jpg

20170411_181022.thumb.jpg.a010748a74c92a116346a38fe869d5ed.jpg

20170409_141555.jpg.b7d1cdea9b8446ae39ece60bcef89994.jpg

20170415_102521.thumb.jpg.f025bdd1072b9e8eb8e56fd3dd21e49b.jpg

Since I have been on this site about 2.5 years as a poster I have seen countless happy posters OK there have been some subpar results and a few outright duds ,but not many .

I had 4200 FUE nearly 2.5 years ago and I am more than happy with my result ,I was a NW5 so if if I want total coverage I will need a second one ,but as a 54 year old guy it's actually debatable should I even go for the a second one as the result I have more than stands alone .

I was pretty much bald from the front to the crown actually crown balding in some ways bothered more than the front, but even with just 4200 grafts which were placed more densely at the front and mid-scalp and tapering back into the crown I still have a significant improvement in my crown ,which seems too one of your main concerns.

Modern hair transplants procedure have come on leaps and bounds in recent times

and can offer a realistic and dense cosmetic improvement for anyone who chooses it , is there an element of vanity well yep for me there certainly was didnt' like being a baldy with

the horse -shoe look ,does that make me weak and self obsessed again maybe in the

over-all scheme of things yea maybe ,but at a least now I can give out more positive vibes

to the universe because I am happier and be more positive in my life of course I still have problems like most people do but no one would claim a hair transplant is a panacea for all ills real or imagined.

Third pic post op crown will need more work ,but should be at least 2000 grafts there .

Just to clarify the second pic is about 2.5 post op so maybe some shock- loss still there , but as you can see form the first pic

crown was bald .

I'm glad your happy with your results, duting my time I did notice that older men seem to do a lot better with transplants, the results look much better

Post op pics , I'm sure most people would agree there has been a big improvement especially for a 54 year old guy . I'ts becoming

more acceptable for men to have a hair transplant form football managers to actors to whomever , if its not for you well fair enough

but the bottom line is they do work ,I've always said they're some guys guys who should stay well away form having work done and I'm not talking about their donor supply and you are plainly one of these ,self awareness is a powerful thing and fair play to you for realising it wasn't for you .

Thanks for sharing, you look like another case where u had a transplant and a later age? As I said previously I think they tend to yield a better results in older men