Reasons I won't be getting a hair transplant

Djlazerblue

Hello all,

Been researching for 3 years now and I've decided I won't ever get a transplant done here is my findings in 3 years this is meeting with surgeons and people that have also had it done including friends.

I'm a borderline Norwood 3 so my hair lost is not major but still I was concerned with my hairline.

What I've found is that between the two procedures FUE & FUT that while some people don't like the fact of having a scar FUT is by far the better option and yields the greatest results, simply because FUE causes great trauma to the hair follicle and many are lost while being ripped from your scalp (think of a plant being pulled from the dirt but the root snapping off and being left in the ground). Also with a hair transplant you run the risk of permenant shock this is because of what is called "collateral damage" if the hairs are planted to close together they compete for blood supply and simply can't survive so you face loosing hair surrounding the transplant hairs and it won't grow back hence why your always playing catch up once you have had 1 surgery.

The crown is also a problem area and very hard to transplant even the best surgeons struggle and tend not to get great results

Also the probability is that you will loose more hair in the future and even finastride and dutasteride regaine etc won't keep it as it will wear off eventually all these medications peak then like anything your body will start to reject it. The truth of the matter is your always playing catch up, surgeons who say you only need 1 transplant I'm sorry are lying you will need 4/5 and even then you will only gain around 25% of your original density, if your heading say to a Norwood 7 there simply is not enough hair in the donor site to cover the top of your head and that's a FACT, you can pour in 1million Pound there is just not enough donor hair there and don't forget only around 90% of grafts survive even less if you op for FUE,

My advice to anyone is take medication try and save what you have if you are to far gone just shave your head, wait for advances in technology or just simply get on with life, it's not worth the disappointment, from the people I've spoke to that have had surgery many suffer from scalp pain migraines and numbness, also they still use concealers like toppik as there results aren't as they expected which for me defeats the whole purpose of having one in the 1st place, IMPORTANT advice

Like your body your hair will age even your doner area will get thinner and your be left with holes from FUE or a visible scar your hair will look moth eaten and even a shaved head won't hide it, that's my findings and that's why I'll be sporting a shaved head if my loss gets any worse

There will be a lot of surgeons mostly sales reps out there who will paint a hair transplant as a wonder cure for your baldness, they don't care about you they just want your money, they will pray on your insecurities.

Be warned if your only slight reeceding Norwood 2/3 and your not happy your greed for hair could backfire and cause the rest of the surrounding hair to permently fall out behind.

I Will stress there are great DRs out there 3 of whom turnt me away and many of whom produce great results if anyone wants to know them please contact me as I won't mentioned names here as I'm not a salesman it might just help you in your decision if your stuck in your ways and are 100% going through with one.

This is my opinion on the procedure and I'm not trying to put no one off it, it's your life it's your body you only live it once so do what the fuck makes you happy

Please correct me or debate anything you feel is incorrect

Regards

Steve

Edited by Djlazerblue

Hi Steve,

Wow! You sure have painted a very bleak picture of the HT process/progress/results. Regarding your FUT vs FUE comment, that to me is a personal decision for a Patient after he/she has researched as much as possible. Obviously, HT is not something that anyone should jump into. There are no short cuts to thorough due diligence and extensive research.

I totally respect your thoughts and beliefs on this topic. At the end of the day, it is a very personal decision for all the hair loss sufferers. I, for one, could never get used to having a bald head. I kept on telling myself that life can go on......hair or no hair but the fact that I had lost my hair would not stop bugging me. Waiting for some miracle pill did not seem to be a good option either.

Your comments about the limited number of donor supply do carry weight if you are referring to scalp grafts only but then with the progress in HT methods/techniques, body hair donor has become pretty common. Think of all the hair that we have all over our body.......should be enough to provide a decent coverage on the head.

I am not aware of any widespread pain and migraines in HT Patients. Had that been the case, then most Patients would never opt for HT......and folks that go for a second or a third procedure would have to be out of their mind.

Shaving the head completely is an option but my belief is that for all the folks that say "I lost my hair...so what. I shave my head and am happy with it" if they would get a chance to get their hair back, they would grab it in a heart beat. There might be exceptions but my personal opinion is that most folks would opt for hair versus no hair.

Last but not the least, I am NOT trying to convince you to get an HT done. You raised some interesting points and I am just sharing my feelings about this issue.....one hair loss sufferer to another.......nothing more and nothing less.

I wish you all the best.

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for your input, I'm not persuading anyone not to have one either I'm just giving my reasons that I'll never get one, after all a bald head is part of nature, everyone looses some hair through there life even woman just gotta plod on son lol

You points are valid concerns that anyone considering a HT would be negligent if they did not give them some weighted thought before spending hard earned cash and valuable time in their effort to regain their hair.

I think most here would agree, pro or con, that research is an absolute necessity before undertaking a Transplant procedure.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

You have some good points. These things are concerns, however, the vast majority of people who have transplants look better after a transplant. But I agree, you have to be willing to have 2 or 3 decent sized ones. Or more if you are really keeping up with things, over a lifetime.

The most common pitfall by far is choosing the wrong doctor.

If you have the money, the right doctor, and the right expectations, modern transplants are going to make most people end up looking better.

If you look like Jason Statham, I see no reason to get a transplant...shave it.

If you have to taken out a second mortgage, pass.

If you a 25 year old with a nw6 pattern developing, pass.

But there are a lot of guys who will fall in to the "better of" category in both the short and the long term.

I was a nw 2.5, and I think I'm a good responder to meds....I have had 5 years of looking better and being happier. I won't need one for another 5 most likely (but I may get a top up because I can). That would give me a decade of my adult life in the peak of my career feeling better about myself and my appearance. So, I think thats a good deal for me.

With multiple transplants I'll get at least 2 decades, I believe, of being better off..

That will put me at the last 10 years of my career possibly being the guy you could tell had a transplant if by for some reason the density isnt enough, or my hairline was a little too low, or whatever. I'll take that gamble.

Hair systems are pretty dang good now too..So that's my fall back plan.

I really support the head shave for other people, just not me.

There's no silver bullet, it's a fight. Some people are willing to battle, some aren't, and some shouldn't.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for your input spanker your well aware of the risks and willing to take them regardless of the outcome, I respect that, btw if I looked like Jason statham my hair would be coming straight off lol that man was born to bald!

• Administrators

Congrats on your decision, doing nothing is never a bad choice. Whilst I'm completely happy with my FUE results I respect guys who can accept going bald, I certainly couldn't I tried the shaved head wasn't for me, luckily I'm at a point with my hair that I'm satisfied getting three HT's was the right choice for me, but of course everyone is different, almost all of the hair on top my head has been transplanted, if my hair continued to thin with old age I'd probably go the hair system route like spanker, so I really don't have any worries, but I respect your decision you'll save yourself plenty of money:cool:

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Congrats on your decision, it seems to have been made not based on rash impulse but rather on long-term research and soul searching.

HT's are not for everyone and those with the head shape and mindset etc to shave it all can save a lot of emotional stress and ups and downs (especially in the case of failure, though these days those odds are low if going with an elite surgeon).

That said, successful hair restoration has enriched my life in so many ways I can't even begin to describe.

I would never do things differently in a million years. From where I started I am in a totally different universe in terms of self confidence and ambitious achievement.

Respect your decision though :cool:

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I think the crux of why your post is terrible is this "Be warned if your only slight reeceding Norwood 2/3 and your not happy your greed for hair could backfire and cause the rest of the surrounding hair to permently fall out behind." Just pure pseudo-science. If you have a legitimate argument against transplants, you wouldn't have to resort to falsehoods. Your comment about migranes is another outright lie and makes no scientific sense.

If you're fine with lowering the standard of the physical attractiveness and careers of the women you date, looking 10 years older and being less attractive to potential employers due to image issues, then go ahead, but don't kid yourself into thinking that the vast majority who go to great surgeons don't lead much better lives. Transplants are all about stealing a few extra years back for your youth; 2-3 procedures over a few decades is an easy choice for drastically improving your quality of life.

I think the crux of why your post is terrible is this "Be warned if your only slight reeceding Norwood 2/3 and your not happy your greed for hair could backfire and cause the rest of the surrounding hair to permently fall out behind." Just pure pseudo-science. If you have a legitimate argument against transplants, you wouldn't have to resort to falsehoods. Your comment about migranes is another outright lie and makes no scientific sense.

If you're fine with lowering the standard of the physical attractiveness and careers of the women you date, looking 10 years older and being less attractive to potential employers due to image issues, then go ahead, but don't kid yourself into thinking that the vast majority who go to great surgeons don't lead much better lives. Transplants are all about stealing a few extra years back for your youth; 2-3 procedures over a few decades is an easy choice for drastically improving your quality of life.

I hope this finds your well,

Maybe you don't read so well, as I stated what I wrote is based on actual facts I've studied over a 3 year period not as you put "falsehoods" if your only problem with hair loss is your standard of women and your job prospects I suggest you might have some deeper issues perhaps see a psychologist.

Myself I'm happily married with 2 children and a well paid job in teaching, like millions of other men. What would you do if there was no hairplant industry like many years ago?? Just get on with your life, your in the world your breathing there's more to life than hair my friend

Hi Steve, great thread and some very interesting food for thought. I'm personally considering fue because

1) I look better with a head of hair.

2) I'm waiting the last 3 years for a miracle solution but it always seems to be another 5 years off. It's the best solution that's available to me now.

3) It's extremely easy to say just get on with it. The beauty industry is a billion dollar industry that you could apply that mantra to practically anyone. Why brush your teeth when they will eventually fall out, why use make up when you'll even be seen without it?

4) The point about what did people do without it before doesn't really hold any water imo. What did people do before cars or open heart surgery or the internet...It's progress and I personally see fue as progress.

I must say the surgeons that I've corresponded with have been nothing but open, honest and transparent. You seem extremely comfortable as a norwood 3 and that is commendable. I'm not so comfortable as a nowood5/6 and obsessive in my research. The points you raised are thought provoking and informative so thank you for that.

Steve ,

Your points raised illustrate the absolute necessity of research when considering a HT .The topics mentioned are all areas of concern , but would add further comment :

FUT is by far the better option and yields the greatest results, simply because FUE causes great trauma to the hair follicle

I had a FUSS procedure and don't regret the decision , but there's been endless debate on this subject. A major consideration is the actual and projected level of hair loss that may occur , but I think that FUE yield in the right hands is approaching parity with FUSS ( if not there already ).

permenant shock this is because of what is called "collateral damage" if the hairs are planted to close together they compete for blood supply and simply can't survive so you face loosing hair surrounding the transplant hairs and it won't grow back hence why your always playing catch up once you have had 1 surgery

This is a recurring topic and I've yet to come across a conclusive opinion as to why it occurs . Certainly , grafts in too close a proximity would seem a major risk factor , but the permanent shock loss can , it seems , occur even when that's not the case . It's also an area in which the surgeons appear to be reticent on commenting on.

The truth of the matter is your always playing catch up, surgeons who say you only need 1 transplant I'm sorry are lying you will need 4/5 and even then you will only gain around 25% of your original density, if your heading say to a Norwood 7 there simply is not enough hair in the donor site to cover the top of your head and that's a FACT, you can pour in 1million Pound there is just not enough donor hair there and don't forget only around

4 to 5 surgeries may be the case in higher NW's depending on their goals , but I'd guess the lower NW's could get good coverage from 2 to 3 HT's.

from the people I've spoke to that have had surgery many suffer from scalp pain migraines and numbness, also they still use concealers like toppik as there results aren't as they expected which for me defeats the whole purpose of having one in the 1st place

I'm aware of the numbness , which I experienced myself , but not came across the migraine complaint before . My numbness has completely disappeared now , but have heard that it can be permanent.

Another key word in your comment above is expectation. It seems that may people who undergo surgery have unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved .Put it this way , when I started out on my HT research , my expectations were massively different by the time I decided to pull the trigger on surgery.

Anyway , good post and food for thought for anyone considering surgery .

Glad you've made the decision based on thorough research and your own life considerations .

I've always said , to state the obvious, the best case scenario is you don't lose your hair ,

second best if you lose your hair accept it , go through the mourning process then move on with your life

Third option, hair restoration which is the choice I made ,and thank feck I did , otherwise I would be up the creek without a canoe.

Hello all,

Been researching for 3 years now and I've decided I won't ever get a transplant done here is my findings in 3 years this is meeting with surgeons and people that have also had it done including friends.

I'm a borderline Norwood 3 so my hair lost is not major but still I was concerned with my hairline.

What I've found is that between the two procedures FUE & FUT that while some people don't like the fact of having a scar FUT is by far the better option and yields the greatest results, simply because FUE causes great trauma to the hair follicle and many are lost while being ripped from your scalp (think of a plant being pulled from the dirt but the root snapping off and being left in the ground). Also with a hair transplant you run the risk of permenant shock this is because of what is called "collateral damage" if the hairs are planted to close together they compete for blood supply and simply can't survive so you face loosing hair surrounding the transplant hairs and it won't grow back hence why your always playing catch up once you have had 1 surgery.

The crown is also a problem area and very hard to transplant even the best surgeons struggle and tend not to get great results

Also the probability is that you will loose more hair in the future and even finastride and dutasteride regaine etc won't keep it as it will wear off eventually all these medications peak then like anything your body will start to reject it. The truth of the matter is your always playing catch up, surgeons who say you only need 1 transplant I'm sorry are lying you will need 4/5 and even then you will only gain around 25% of your original density, if your heading say to a Norwood 7 there simply is not enough hair in the donor site to cover the top of your head and that's a FACT, you can pour in 1million Pound there is just not enough donor hair there and don't forget only around 90% of grafts survive even less if you op for FUE,

My advice to anyone is take medication try and save what you have if you are to far gone just shave your head, wait for advances in technology or just simply get on with life, it's not worth the disappointment, from the people I've spoke to that have had surgery many suffer from scalp pain migraines and numbness, also they still use concealers like toppik as there results aren't as they expected which for me defeats the whole purpose of having one in the 1st place, IMPORTANT advice

Like your body your hair will age even your doner area will get thinner and your be left with holes from FUE or a visible scar your hair will look moth eaten and even a shaved head won't hide it, that's my findings and that's why I'll be sporting a shaved head if my loss gets any worse

There will be a lot of surgeons mostly sales reps out there who will paint a hair transplant as a wonder cure for your baldness, they don't care about you they just want your money, they will pray on your insecurities.

Be warned if your only slight reeceding Norwood 2/3 and your not happy your greed for hair could backfire and cause the rest of the surrounding hair to permently fall out behind.

I Will stress there are great DRs out there 3 of whom turnt me away and many of whom produce great results if anyone wants to know them please contact me as I won't mentioned names here as I'm not a salesman it might just help you in your decision if your stuck in your ways and are 100% going through with one.

This is my opinion on the procedure and I'm not trying to put no one off it, it's your life it's your body you only live it once so do what the fuck makes you happy

Regards

Steve

Docs like Konior and Wesley claim their FUE yield is actually the same at this point as their FUT results. Is there any evidence that for top docs this is not the case?

Regards

Steve

Steve - In my view, you are overthinking this. Agreed that if you're chasing the perfect hair (your teenage hair probably) you'll be remarkably disappointed and yes, you may continue to lose hair after a procedure requiring addition follow-up. Your hair transplanted hair will never be as good as your original, lush, thick non-thinning/non-recending hair.

But, if you're willing to take the chance, sometimes you can end up with utterly fantastic results...

fullsizeoutput_29.thumb.jpg.2893a9ecfcc6467b32775b8309915054.jpg

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

I'm starting to wonder why you posted this in the first place, if you posted this to get support for your decision then you have already gotten that as this board is here to help hair loss sufferers.

If you posted this on the other hand to warn others to do the same, then I am in definite disagreement with you.

Yes a very small number of HTs do not succeed, but there are hundreds if not thousands of successful hair restoration cases posted on this forum where people's lives have been remarkably and permanently changed for the better.

As long as you choose an elite surgeon - and that's what this site is all about - then it is certainly no gamble, especially if going with the docs in the elite surgeon class.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Do you actually know the official statistics of how many hair transplant fail? It's more than a small amount. Unfortunately people never want to share a bad hair transplant and tend to stay one of the silent brigade.

I'm not saying they don't work because it's obvious they do to some degree, my problem is that people's expectations are never met at the 1st time of asking and this is not clearly explained to patients by some clinics.

I put this post up merely so people don't jump into surgery without making a big mistake and potentially ending up in a worse place they were in before they done it.

Steve

• Administrators
I'm starting to wonder why you posted this in the first place, if you posted this to get support for your decision then you have already gotten that as this board is here to help hair loss sufferers.

If you posted this on the other hand to warn others to do the same, then I am in definite disagreement with you.

Yes a very small number of HTs do not succeed, but there are hundreds if not thousands of successful hair restoration cases posted on this forum where people's lives have been remarkably and permanently changed for the better.

As long as you choose an elite surgeon - and that's what this site is all about - then it is certainly no gamble, especially if going with the docs in the elite surgeon class.

I agree at first I thought it was a post making peace with shaving his head, now it sounds like a warning from someone who hasn't undergone surgery in the first place. Very strange, I've seen these type of posts before from repair patients but never from someone who hasn't even had surgery, perhaps he's placed to much time researching the repair victims, he admittedly takes finasteride, so I wonder why he "gambles" with that, it would be like someone making a thread "reasons why I won't take finasteride" and going on about gambling with sexual health. Does it occur? Yes absolutely, but how many guys take it without any issues, how many guys benefit from the drug, I would say there are more men who experience negative side effects from Finasteride then men who are repair victims, this is my theory of course based on my years on this forum.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Do you actually know the official statistics of how many hair transplant fail? It's more than a small amount. Unfortunately people never want to share a bad hair transplant and tend to stay one of the silent brigade.

I'm not saying they don't work because it's obvious they do to some degree, my problem is that people's expectations are never met at the 1st time of asking and this is not clearly explained to patients by some clinics.

I put this post up merely so people don't jump into surgery without making a big mistake and potentially ending up in a worse place they were in before they done it.

Steve

I know that there is a shortlist of elite surgeons that produce few if any poor or subpar results, I know this from personal experience and from being an active member here on this forum for close to seven years.

If you go with an unskilled surgeon with a poor reputation you will have poor results.

Conversely if you go with an elite surgeon with proven published results your chances of an unsuccessful procedure are very low.

go dense or go home

I agree at first I thought it was a post making peace with shaving his head, now it sounds like a warning from someone who hasn't undergone surgery in the first place. Very strange, I've seen these type of posts before from repair patients but never from someone who hasn't even had surgery, perhaps he's placed to much time researching the repair victims, he admittedly takes finasteride, so I wonder why he "gambles" with that, it would be like someone making a thread "reasons why I won't take finasteride" and going on about gambling with sexual health. Does it occur? Yes absolutely, but how many guys take it without any issues, how many guys benefit from the drug, I would say there are more men who experience negative side effects from Finasteride then men who are repair victims, this is my theory of course based on my years on this forum.

I have not had surgery your correct, and my post is to inform people the stark reality before jumping into to something thats going to need years of saving and commitment,

nothing to do with medication so don't understand your point there

I know that there is a shortlist of elite surgeons that produce few if any poor or subpar results, I know this from personal experience and from being an active member here on this forum for close to seven years.

If you go with an unskilled surgeon with a poor reputation you will have poor results.

Conversely if you go with an elite surgeon with proven published results your chances of an unsuccessful procedure are very low.

I gently disagree even the elite aren't 100% guaranteed

successful hair restoration has enriched my life in so many ways I can't even begin to describe.

2-3 procedures over a few decades is an easy choice for drastically improving your quality of life.

I agree 100% hsrp10 and JeanLuc.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I gently disagree even the elite aren't 100% guaranteed

As with most things in life nothing is a 100% guarantee.

This forum was established to protect prospective hair restoration patients, patients like myself who had a failed procedure with Bosley years ago.

It serves this function and purpose extremely well.

Helping guide people in the right direction is a good thing, scaring them based on apprehension alone is not.

go dense or go home

I agree 100% hsrp10 and JeanLuc.

I'm glad your happy with your hair

Would I be right to say you have had over 8000 grafts?

Could you hold weight to my facts the crown is a problem.area and your density is on average about 25% of your original density