Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration Patient VTZ is a Norwood Class 7, with salt and pepper, straight, fine hair and a donor density of 2.4. VTZ had two scalp reductions and an unsuccessful hair transplant with plugs many years ago of which most did not grow. VTZ also had significant sun damage with multiple keratosis on his scalp. These were treated prior the hair transplant. The treatment removed the keratosis and also improved the quality of his scalp. Because of the sun damage and scalp reduction scars, a conservative first session was performed using 1,668 grafts. A year later we performed a second hair transplant of 1520 grafts and three years later the patient had a final session of 1100 grafts. The results are shown after three hair restoration sessions.

Overview:

beforeafter_ff_vtz.jpg?i=112471927

Before / After:

beforeafter_ff_vtz_before.jpg

Before Hair Transplant

beforeafter_ff_vtz_after.jpg?i=1811249352

After Three Hair Transplants

Change in Appearance Over Three Hair Transplant Sessions:

The first session gave VTZ, a person with very fine hair, light, but natural coverage. The second session was used to add density.

beforeafter_ff_vtz_before.jpg?i=239491641

Before Transplant

1041-02.jpg?i=461478694

After First Hair Transplant

1041-03_after.jpg?i=442024601

After Second Hair Transplant

beforeafter_ff_vtz_after.jpg?i=1811249352

After Third Hair Transplant

Detail of Hairline:

Note the thin, but perfectly natural looking hairline accomplished with only a modest number of grafts.

1041-04.jpg?i=1626768321

Before Transplant

1041-05.jpg?i=1240840767

1041-06.jpg?i=71731414

Treatment and Camouflage of Sun Damage

VTZ presented a challenge in that he had severe actinic (sun) damage on his scalp that had to be treated before a hair transplant could be performed. The sun damage alters the blood supply in the scalp and can cause poor growth, particularly if the grafts are packed too densely. The “Before” photo was taken when the patient first presented to our office and before the scalp was treated for sun damage with 5-flurouracil. The “After” photo was taken after the medical treatment and 11 months after his first hair transplant of 1,668 follicular unit grafts. A conservative number of grafts were planted in the first session to insure that there would be maximum growth in the treated scalp. A second session of 1,520 grafts was performed on 2-16-05. These results will be posted here when the transplant has grown in.

1041-07.jpg?i=654148530

Severely Sun-damaged Scalp

1041-08.jpg?i=327741743

1041-09.jpg?i=934318263

See patients with similar characteristics in the Bernstein Medical photo galleries:

Additional Resources:

Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Schedule a consultation HERE to request a graft estimate and quote.

Follow us on InstagramFacebookTwitter, and YouTube

The health and safety of our patients and staff is our top priority. For a more detailed look at our safety measures, click here. 

Got questions? Call us at 212-826-2400 

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians