Hairs never fell out 4 months post FUT !?

It's 4 months post FUT for me from Dr. Path- ~1300 units. I'm struggling to find any hairs that HAVEN'T fallen out- they're all like 1 inch long now. Maybe they fell out and grew back really fast?

I had a lot of shock loss behind the transplanted area and although it's filling in slightly better now, I'm not sure if that's because the existing hairs just got longer or if the ones that fell out are actually growing back in. Do some people never recover from shock loss?

Other than that I'm using Regenepure and blow drying my hair which seems to densify it well

Haraald,

Like Dutchie noted above, there is a very small sub-sect of patients (somewhere in the 2% range) who do not shed or experience a post-op telogen (follicular sleeping) phase after surgery. I've only seen this in one patient, and I'm still not sure. He stopped by the office at 3-4 months and already looked very good. However, I had previously performed 2 procedures on him, and this one was a "hair greed" finishing touch job, so it was difficult to tell if it was the result of no growth, very early growth, growth of his other transplants in the area, etc.

Some people experience permanent shock loss. It usually only occurs when weakened follicles undergo a trauma (like surgery) and they aren't strong enough to really recover. I personally think it's a little rarer than reported, but it is a real phenomenon.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Haraald,

Like Dutchie noted above, there is a very small sub-sect of patients (somewhere in the 2% range) who do not shed or experience a post-op telogen (follicular sleeping) phase after surgery. I've only seen this in one patient, and I'm still not sure. He stopped by the office at 3-4 months and already looked very good. However, I had previously performed 2 procedures on him, and this one was a "hair greed" finishing touch job, so it was difficult to tell if it was the result of no growth, very early growth, growth of his other transplants in the area, etc.

Some people experience permanent shock loss. It usually only occurs when weakened follicles undergo a trauma (like surgery) and they aren't strong enough to really recover. I personally think it's a little rarer than reported, but it is a real phenomenon.

So do all the transplanted hairs need to fall out or only about 60-80% of them will shed and the rest still remains? Does it affect growth in grafts where transplanted hairs do not shed? I am still not sure about the shedding of transplanted hair post-op tbh.

Harald,

The expression "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind in this situation :-). In other words, instead of analyzing to see if any of the hairs have fallen out, be thankful that you're one in literally hundreds of people to get hair transplant surgery and have to deal with the initial shedding period. The initial sharing. Pretty much the worst part of the procedure in my opinion and often leads to doubt, the doldrums and anxiety. But you are one of the lucky ones and I'm sure much happier than having to deal with a shedding. And waiting for the new hair to start growing back.

Best wishes,

Bill

So do all the transplanted hairs need to fall out or only about 60-80% of them will shed and the rest still remains? Does it affect growth in grafts where transplanted hairs do not shed? I am still not sure about the shedding of transplanted hair post-op tbh.

Each follicular unit is its own entity, so technically some could shed and others could not. However, I've noticed its usually one way or the other -- and it's almost universally the "other" (meaning they do shed). No, it will have no effect on the final results.

Harald,

The expression "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind in this situation :-).

That's great. Nicely stated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Haraald,

You did remove all of the crusts by now right?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Shedding of transplanted hairs may occur sometimes in the first few weeks , however, it is not a constant phenomenon and the percentage of hairs which shed vary individually. Some patients do not shed hairs at all so it is absolutely normal if you haven’t experienced any shedding yourself. Even if there is shedding,you will start to see the hair growth start at 3 to 4 months after the surgery; this hair will be very fine and minute at first. At 6 months around 40% the hair will have appeared, however they won’t be fully grown. It takes up to 12-18 months for a full growth to occur. Shedding of the native (original) hair or shock loss can also sometimes occur post operatively. This is quite rare and if it occurs it will always regrow in 3-4 months.

Online Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Kapil Dua, AKClinics - Hair Transplant in Delhi, Ludhiana and Bangalore, Chennai - India.

Dr. Kapil Dua, Board of Governor at ISHRS(USA), Board of Governor at AAHRS, President of AHRS India

is a recommended surgeon at Hair Transplant Network.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

And also why it takes 12 months or longer post-op to fairly judge any procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY