1500 Grafts donor are square patch visible after FUE

nillak

Hi, I got a FUE transplant of 1500 grafts done. The donor area patch is off-centered and visible after day 11. Will this patch cover up ? Will i be able to keep the current length hairstyle or no? Was the harvesting done properly? Please help!

back.jpg.1329d0ed92bcd46c17f43677969081b6.jpg

It is too soon after the procedure to tell what will eventually happen. You may have a bit of shock loss around the donor area but this is normal and will usually come back in 5-6 months. Don't fret about it now though you have a long way to grow both recipient and donor. You may want to start some minoxidil in the area but once you start you should not stop...ever, really because you will shed what you gained. Also initially you may have a bit of a shedding as well. Although it will grow hair if you use as directed. So just be aware. You should be fine in a several months once the shock loss recovers.

It is too soon after the procedure to tell what will eventually happen. You may have a bit of shock loss around the donor area but this is normal and will usually come back in 5-6 months. Don't fret about it now though you have a long way to grow both recipient and donor. You may want to start some minoxidil in the area but once you start you should not stop...ever, really because you will shed what you gained. Also initially you may have a bit of a shedding as well. Although it will grow hair if you use as directed. So just be aware. You should be fine in a several months once the shock loss recovers.

Thanks for your reply! Is off-centered donor area a problem, Because i feel the pattern is not symmetric or does it not matter ?

Thanks for your reply! Is off-centered donor area a problem, Because i feel the pattern is not symmetric or does it not matter ?

Not really. Though FUE grafts are usually spread out so there is no perceptible pattern,

you had a small FUE procedure so it won't matter once the shock loss

Comes back. Meaning you won't notice when hair is as short as your pic. Of course, If you

Keep hair longer until the shock loss returns it will not be noticed at all. Give it till the fall or xmas. You'll be fine.

I would expect your surgeon must have had confidence in your donor area and you're experiencing some shock-loss. Those hairs will return but you must be patient. Using FUE, your surgeon could have spread out the donor area if they felt your donor area was not strong. Be patient and I'm sure you will be pleased in a few months.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

From the looks of it, it seems some degree of overharvesting has been done outside the safe donor zone. At day 11 it is still early to call whether the overharvesting will be camouflaged completely by the adjoining hairs when they grow in length. For now, all you can do is wait and watch. My advice would be to keep your hair longer and not trimmed lest the patch is obvious.

Online Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Kapil Dua, AKClinics - Hair Transplant in Delhi, Ludhiana and Bangalore, Chennai - India.

Dr. Kapil Dua, Board of Governor at ISHRS(USA), Board of Governor at AAHRS, President of AHRS India

is a recommended surgeon at Hair Transplant Network.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

This is my new account as i cannot sign in from my old...

Here are day 17 pics of the donor area. How does it look guys ?

It's way too early to tell anything or do anything to the area but maybe start applying minoxidil. Just be aware once you start minoxidil, it should be a lifelong commitment. Although I have heard of people using it for the first 6 months post transplant and then stopping. But this was on the recipient area.

Minoxidil to the area, nothing to the area and waiting are the only things you can do regardless of the reason for the patchiness. Could be shockloss, could be overharvesting in a certain design. In either case, you just have to hang tight and wait to see if it grows back to give the coverage you want at the buzz cut length you want to style it.

Sorry but waiting is something HT patients have to endure.

It should correct itself totally by month 8 but you will see improvement way before that.

Happy growing

• 2 weeks later...

From the photos I think it is obvious that this patient has been over harvested using the FUE method.

What we are seeing is scar tissue and shock loss from the FUE procedure extending through the safe donor area into non-safe areas like the crown. The grafts were taken from too close together and the result is damage to the underlying blood supply as well as confluence of scar where the scar tissue from each extraction hole connects to that of the next extraction hole creating sheets of obvious scar tissue.

That scar tissue is now permanent and the patient will have to wear their donor area hair longer to conceal it.

This is representative of what has become all too common in the FUE side of the hair transplant field.

Dear Mr. Nillak,

You are not technically dealing with scar tissue quite yet at the collagen over-expression takes about four weeks or longer to cross over into scar formation territory. Based on the density that appears to be in your donor region, outside of the extraction zone, I believe this to be a combination of shock loss and potential over harvesting. The approach could have been better but I believe the donor will recover to some degree.

• 5 years later...

Send us some pictures in a couple of months and I'll bet your pleased by then with the results.  Be patient.  It's looking better!

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.